PDA

View Full Version : repalcing front main seal on bbc

jetovatorjeff
09-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Is this an easy task in a jet boat with room. I could not find any directions on the net. Any diagrams or advice would be apprecitated.
Thanks

DelawareDave
09-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Pull the damper, use a hook, if you have one, to pull the seal. Use a seal driver, if you have one, to drive the new one in. Put a little wipe of permatex form-a-gasket (my preference) around the outside of the seal first. Check the damper for a groove where the seal rides. If ok, the use the proper tool to push the damper back on. If there is a groove, get the seal kit that has a sleeve. DO NOT DRIVE the damper on. Use the correct tool!

jetovatorjeff
09-26-2007, 08:45 AM
how many hours for a mechanic to do and what is cost?. i dont think i have the right tools or expierience.

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Jeff with the right tools (dampner puller/installer) this job is "cake' assuming there's easy access in front of the motor ,should be around an hour Tom

Cs19
09-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Jeff, are you 100% certain its the front seal?
I remember that thing leaking, is it getting worse? Cant finish the season?

jetovatorjeff
09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
chris it is coming out the front. only on big nitrous runs:D. it can wait till winter i guess. i am just getting sick of the mess. i was going to try to put a breather on the other valve cover to see if this releives some pressure. i will check into that tool.

jetovatorjeff
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
thanks for your adivce guys.
Chris is that something you can do in the winter?

Cs19
09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
jetavator, no warranty? :D
If your not 100% certain its that front seal, I would pull the motor and change the pan gasket and the seals. Let me know when your ready and I can recommend someone.
Chris