PDA

View Full Version : gas/fuel life etc

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Any gas/fuel "officianados' out there ? whats the "shelf life" of different gasolines in todays world? Ive heard that the current formulations drop drastiacally in quality/octane/specific gravity in a very short time. Ive got a drum at the cabin for example that about 3 months old Also curious how long the pails of leaded race gas "store"? Brian any info on Torco? thanks for your help Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/DSC07255.jpg

H20MOFO
09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi Tom. For What Its Worth The Sunco Dealer In Slc Told Me 1 Year.(SHELF LIFE FOR THEIR 110)

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Kreg Tom

BUSBY
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
atmosphere will kill your fuel. oxygen and moisture to be specific.
IF you seal your drum & IF you seal your 5 gallon pail (the steel ones, not plastic ones) ... race fuels will have a shelf life of about a year.
If you don't, 3 weeks or so ... so rule of thumb, put your fuel back into the steel container it came in & it will last longer.
that's the straight poop on the subject.
BB

BUSBY
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/DSC07255.jpg
great choice in fuels BTW :D

n8dawg
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Any gas/fuel "officianados' out there ? whats the "shelf life" of different gasolines in todays world? Ive heard that the current formulations drop drastiacally in quality/octane/specific gravity in a very short time. Ive got a drum at the cabin for example that about 3 months old Also curious how long the pails of leaded race gas "store"? Brian any info on Torco? thanks for your help Tom
Tom,
Are you running that flatty up at San Antonio for the v-drive regatta?
Nate

H20MOFO
09-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Busby Is There A Torco In Utah? Oh. And When You Say Kills Does The Octaine Drop Out Of It? If I Have A Stainless Tank(s) Is That As Good As Back Into Steel The Container. All I Have Is Plastic 5 Gal.(what A Pain In The Ass) Sorry If I Threadjacked A Little There. Hey Tom Seen Any Cheap Daytonas Latley?

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Brian ,Thanks that pretty much confirmed what I had thought /been told I got three pails of Trick that are a little over year,... Re the Torco havent run it yet .hows it compare to the other ? (Rocket) and what happened to Don?
Nate I'm taking the Schiada and the "Miller" Project too you guys gonna come hang out?...
Kreg "Cheap and Daytonas" hmmm The Kids said they'd go out there when they get a "gig that way (busy at the Dana Marina) (The Daytonas about 45 miles one way)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/miller%20project%202/DSC07225.jpg

RIVERTIME247
09-26-2007, 05:48 PM
tom ....put that wrench down and get that boat launched once in a while and you wont have any extra gas to worry about.
hey i have i question im going to PM you.

BUSBY
09-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Busby Is There A Torco In Utah? Oh. And When You Say Kills Does The Octaine Drop Out Of It? If I Have A Stainless Tank(s) Is That As Good As Back Into Steel The Container. All I Have Is Plastic 5 Gal.(what A Pain In The Ass) Sorry If I Threadjacked A Little There. Hey Tom Seen Any Cheap Daytonas Latley?
You'd need to call T3 Race Fuels 209-667-0236, they're out of central Calif, but are the Master Distributor for Utah as well ... I believe they are looking for a quality distributor in Utah (speed shop/engine builder, etc.)
Tell them Brian Busby told you to call & they'll hook you up.
As far as your stainless tanks are concerned, they should work fine as long as they seal good. Plastic jugs are pourous (sp?) ... and will breathe.
When I refer to "killing your fuel" I am speaking about it's ability to ignite. The light hydrocarbons that you hear "hiss" when you open your fuel tank when it's hot out will actually condense and return back to your fuel base when it cools off. If you allow those hydrocarbons to escape, it will change the properties of the fuel, therefore, changing it's flash point. Leaving your fuel in an open container or container that breathes, will allow this to happen.
Hope that helps.

BUSBY
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
hows it compare to the other ? (Rocket) and what happened to Don?
Torco & Rockett Brand are both premimum race fuels ... both are really good fuels.
I prefer Torco ... I've had really good luck with it on the dyno as others can vouch for here.
What happened to Don? Long story, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from him soon ... he can fill you in on the details. He's been down here in So Cal for the past month or so.

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Scott nows the time when we Marine Bus guys get to breath and "howl" a little ! tourists (roll bar boats) are gone ,weathers still warm, Waters flat and the phones slowed down ... who hoo !! Going to Bakes Sat &Sun to support the Socal roundy round boys, then it off to San Antonio for some fun/R&R (and BEER) ... Tom
Brian Thanks I'll look forward to hearing from Don ,down the road..
ps Scott check your PMs thats a Centurion in the background..

BUSBY
09-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Brian Thanks I'll look forward to hearing from Don ,down the road..
It shouldn't be down the road ... he should be back shortly (like in the next week or so)
BB

moneysucker
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I have been told to use a fuel stabilizer regardless just to be on the safe side. As far as the SS tanks on the boat, Remember there is a vent and unless it is sealed, the hydrocarbons will be allowed to escape so you may have a problem. For me, with stabilizer, I try to go through all my fuel within 3-4 months after that it goes into my golf cart it smells real good.:D . I get STA-BIL at kragan to help maintain the fuel and leave it in metal cans.

BUSBY
09-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I have been told to use a fuel stabilizer regardless just to be on the safe side. As far as the SS tanks on the boat, Remember there is a vent and unless it is sealed, the hydrocarbons will be allowed to escape so you may have a problem. For me, with stabilizer, I try to go through all my fuel within 3-4 months after that it goes into my golf cart it smells real good.:D . I get STA-BIL at kragan to help maintain the fuel and leave it in metal cans.
good info ... I wasn't thinking about the vent or lines to the carbs, etc.

jetboatperformance
09-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Moneysucker I'll try the stabil (on the near 25 gallons left in my cruiser) hate to dump it into my lawn tractor although come to think of it I might try to drum up a tractor "race" with my neighbor !! lol Tom