PDA

View Full Version : Powerglide Rebuild Service Interval?

mondorally
09-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I have a Powerglide in my 22' Schiada. Not a v-drive (#4 Speedmaster) but I know you v-drivers would have the answers.
I'm about to re-power the boat (750hp). Previous owner said he had the trans rebuild prior to my purchase. I've put approx. 25 hours on it since then. Shifts fine and the fluid looks good. Should I have it gone through while the motor is out or save the money for now?
Also, how tough is it to change the shift pattern? Currently its P-R-N-High-Low. I would feel better with P-R-N-Low-High.
Thanks for the info!

bubbletop409
09-27-2007, 07:24 AM
I have a Powerglide in my 22' Schiada. Not a v-drive (#4 Speedmaster) but I know you v-drivers would have the answers.
I'm about to re-power the boat (750hp). Previous owner said he had the trans rebuild prior to my purchase. I've put approx. 25 hours on it since then. Shifts fine and the fluid looks good. Should I have it gone through while the motor is out or save the money for now?
Also, how tough is it to change the shift pattern? Currently its P-R-N-High-Low. I would feel better with P-R-N-Low-High.
Thanks for the info!
You should be good with what you have. In the past I raced NHRA Super Gas / Super Comp with a 540/850HP full size door car, launching at 5500, with a tranny brake on 17" wide Hooisers. Changed the fluid every 25 runs, would get a min. of 150 runs before freshening, never a problem. To change the shift pattern, you will have to change the valve body. Are you running a trans fluid cooler with your current setup? May want to consider adding one if you dont currently have one, a small one will be more than adequate, depending on how you route the water. Also consider switching over to a synthetic ATF, runs cooler and last longer.

mondorally
09-27-2007, 07:33 AM
You should be good with what you have. In the past I raced NHRA Super Gas / Super Comp with a 540/850HP full size door car, launching at 5500, with a tranny brake on 17" wide Hooisers. Changed the fluid every 25 runs, would get a min. of 150 runs before freshening, never a problem. To change the shift pattern, you will have to change the valve body. Are you running a trans fluid cooler with your current setup? May want to consider adding one if you dont currently have one, a small one will be more than adequate, depending on how you route the water. Also consider switching over to a synthetic ATF, runs cooler and last longer.
Thanks for the info. I do have a decent sized cooler. How tough is it to change the valve body?

bubbletop409
09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I do have a decent sized cooler. How tough is it to change the valve body?
Valve body is easy to change if the tranny is out, its just unbolt the old and bolt in the new, but be aware that both shift patterns may not be available with the manual shift mode that you need for marine use. A few of the companies to check with would be B&M, Hughes, TCI, BTE, A-1. Do a serch on Jegs or Sumitt Racing for powerglide manual valve bodies. A deep sump pan on that glide would also be a good addition if you have the room, gain extra 2 or 3 quarts depending on whos product you buy, and besides, ya gotta pull the pan to change the valve body anyway, also would be a good time to add a temp sender for the trans fluid temp.

mondorally
09-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Valve body is easy to change if the tranny is out, its just unbolt the old and bolt in the new, but be aware that both shift patterns may not be available with the manual shift mode that you need for marine use. A few of the companies to check with would be B&M, Hughes, TCI, BTE, A-1. Do a serch on Jegs or Sumitt Racing for powerglide manual valve bodies. A deep sump pan on that glide would also be a good addition if you have the room, gain extra 2 or 3 quarts depending on whos product you buy, and besides, ya gotta pull the pan to change the valve body anyway, also would be a good time to add a temp sender for the trans fluid temp.
Perfect. Thanks for the info. I think it already has a deep sump pan but I like the idea of a trans temp guage.

bubbletop409
09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Perfect. Thanks for the info. I think it already has a deep sump pan but I like the idea of a trans temp guage.
If it does have the deep pan, check to make sure the correct deep pickup was also installed, good time to change the filter also.

mondorally
09-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Seems like all the valve bodies I've found with the right pattern are also trans-brake valve bodies. I'll keep searching:) . Thanks again for all the info!

mondorally
09-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Anyone have any leads for a Powerglide reverse valve body without a trans-brake:confused: ?

GNKid
09-28-2007, 06:38 PM
I run a powerglide in my 19 Spectra (540ci/775hp). It has been in there since 84. It works great. When we restored the boat, I had the transmission gone through. The tranny guy said it was still in great shape.
Wilkes had my tranny built, he would be a good place to start for your find.

mondorally
09-29-2007, 05:49 AM
I run a powerglide in my 19 Spectra (540ci/775hp). It has been in there since 84. It works great. When we restored the boat, I had the transmission gone through. The tranny guy said it was still in great shape.
Wilkes had my tranny built, he would be a good place to start for your find.
I'll try 'em.
Justin,
Talk to Mike at Prime Marine, they have a source for Powerglides, they do alot of Sprint Cars that use the Powerglide, we used them on our tranny for project flatty.
Scott
Him too.
Thanks everyone!