PDA

View Full Version : So...I am leaving Anaheim Memorial today...

DILLIGAF
09-27-2007, 10:17 AM
after a Doc appt and I am behind a work van on my Harley. We are both taking a left onto LaPalma. There is traffic and a Brinks truck is turning right into the lot I am leaving. As I sit there I could not believe the van in front of me starts out to take his left. He gets broadsided by two vehicles...one is a Suburu kind of SUV with two ladies and the other is a mini van.
They collide hard and the Suburu is right in front of me while the mini van goes into the other oncoming lanes. The work van ends up in the center and the driver is knocked unconscious. The mini van is too far away but everybody I guess is all right as they did not head on anybody.
I get to the Suburu and get to the passenger door. I am yanking on it as there is smoke coming thru. Later I find out it was just the air bags but don't know it at the time. The driver is an elderly woman and her passenger is her daughter...mid 30's I would guess...The Mom is cool but the daughter is in shock and won't calm down. Even after her Mom got out and walked to the sidewalk the daughter is yelling for her Mom and won't calm down. While I am getting her out I figure out she has braces on both legs and her legs are shaking like crazy. She had a big cut on her forearm and still will not settle down. We get a walker for her and she finally gets to the side of the road.
I stick around to make sure the police get my name so I can make a statement as I was the best eyewitness. The cocky (that is my impression anyway) Anaheim PD motorcycle cop told me he really didn't need my statement. I insisted he take my name as I was right there and he did.
I went over and talked to the ladies a bit and the daughter had finally calmed down.
I don't know to what extent the work van driver was hurt but they loaded him into an ambulance.
I was amazed that the ladies that took the full force of this were not seriously hurt or killed. I am also glad that I avoided a major disaster. It could have been much, much worse.
Scary to see this happen right in front of you.

ULTRA26 # 1
09-27-2007, 10:24 AM
The PD and all parties involved need your statement as an eye wittness. Glad you forced the issue.

DILLIGAF
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
The PD and all parties involved need your statement as an eye wittness. Glad you forced the issue.
He took one statement and I guess he figured he was done. I don't want him on my accident scene. Well, lets hope I don't have one but at least put some effort into your job. I told the ladies that I will make sure the facts come out and are given by me. They thanked me and praised to God.
Maybe he didn't like me because my bike looked better than his :)

ChumpChange
09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
And even if PD didn't want it, the insurance companies sure will.

yopengo
09-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Thank you for being a good witness. I have been hit and no one stopped or cared. I know there were lots of witnesses. I got screwed because of a lousy “foreign” driver and most people are assholes.

OCMerrill
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Did the work van driver not see any cars coming in lane 1 from around the brinks truck? And just darted out?
Damn, I am glad they did not bounce into you.:eek:

DILLIGAF
09-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Did the work van driver not see any cars coming in lane 1 from around the brinks truck? And just darted out?
Damn, I am glad they did not bounce into you.:eek:
I could see the cars coming and I was behind him. I guess he could have been blocked but still....He was probably in a rush
I was pretty safe but when they get hit like that no telling where they will end up.
Thanks

ULTRA26 # 1
09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
And even if PD didn't want it, the insurance companies sure will.
Yep

USCFAN
09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Definately a good thing that you were able to avoid the accident.

2Driver
09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
10 to 1 Van Driver is a Union man. :D

Rocknpalms
09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I was involved in a rear end accident on the 55 fwy, I was hit so hard that I was pushed into the car infront of me. I thought great! Looks like I will be blamed for rear ending the car infront when I was actually stopped and pushed into him. Long story short an eyewitness stayed on the scene, here is the cool part. She was the wife of the CHP that showed up to the accident. Needless to say he trusted her account of the accident 100%.
No points no tickets :)

DILLIGAF
09-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Does anybody think I should contact the APD and discuss this with a superior or just not worry about it? I am talking about the APD officer at the scene....

Outnumbered
09-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I've owned a few Subarus when I lived in the snow country. They are very well built and get 5-star crash ratings on most models. Of all the Hondas and Toyota cars I have owned none were built as well as my Subarus. They are pretty damn tough cars.
Hope the dude in the van is OK. You must have shit your pants being on a bike. I have seen a few bad accidents from close range and would not want to be on a bike.