PDA

View Full Version : I finally got a Schiada

Schiada Time
02-27-2006, 08:48 AM
This is Red Rocker-formerly Hot Rod Hallett and I just bought the boat of my dreams. Picked up a '74 22 Schiada V-drive less motor. Boat is very clean and only has 6 stress cracks in the hull. Everything is there to drop in the BBC of my choice. I grew up around Schiada's as my parents have a '22 I/O with a 454 and before that boat had another '22. They are awesome boats and handle rough water conditions impeccably. This is my first V-drive so I will probably bug you guys with ?'s. I was raised around the Schiada shop as Lee used to drive me around the grounds in the shop golf cart since the age of 4 while my Dad was checking in on the progress of his current boat. I am now 29 and finally got the boat I have always wanted and it is extra cool that I personally know the Schiada family. Two years ago I attended the Schiada regatta in Havasu to cover the event for Truckin' Magazine where I formerly worked and got up on stage to say a few words about Schiada Boats and the Schiada family and my history with them. I think everyone there knew someday I would join the Schiada family. I'll post pics as the progress happens. The boat is red and white with wood grain and is in extremely good shape for its age. I plan to order up a brand new 502 crate motor and be on the water by May. I have a little tweaking to do to the trailer as well but the interior is in good shape and I bought a real solid boat. Sorry for my rambling but I think I am still in shock.

Rattle Can Lou
02-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I love the entusiasm. Good luck and post them pics...RCL

bocco
02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Pics dude, we need pics.

ssmike
02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Travis:
Welcome.....Did you see your old mill?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99480
Can't wait to see pics of the Schiada

V-DRIVE VIDEO
02-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Congratulations!! Looking forward to seeing it!! :cool:

Schiada Time
02-27-2006, 09:39 AM
SSMike- The engine looks awesome and so does that old wood decker. Bitchin. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
Trav

dmontzsta
02-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Travis,
You know how I feel...congrats. :)

Schiada Time
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'm stoked. Can't wait to get rolling on dropping in power, adding a few things like a new steering wheel, some new gauges, some bilge pump and fuel tank switches, etc. and giving her a wet sand and buff. Gonna repack the bearings on the trailer, put on new wheels and tires, and get the trailer brakes working. Should be bitchin when complete. I will take some pics this weekend if someone could post them up for me? I could e-mail them to someone if they could put them up on this thread. i am not so good with posting pics.
Trav

dmontzsta
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Travis, send them to me, I will throw them up for you. I owe you, since you were so generous with the beer last year. :boxed:

SGettmann
02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Trav - Congratulations! I remember when I first picked up my 21' Schiada from Pete Mitchel last year. Flew from Spokane, WA to San Jose afterwork, drove to my parents in Paso Robles, then jumped in the truck with my dad at midnight to drive all night to Havasu. I was so wound up - that next night I slept in my boat at Cat-Tail-Cove. I totally understand your energy. Lee will be great with you in answering your Schiada questions - he's been fantastic with me. In fact, Ron used to have a 22' Schiada in the early days when the Spindler's first took over Schiada - yellow and had a Snoopie on a speed ski on the side. Remember that boat well up at Clearlake during the summer ski race week. In fact - I first got up on skies @ ClearLake with Ron holding me in the water for the start - must have been 6 or so. Great childhood memories.
For hardware, be sure to check in with REX marine. I worked with Chris (aka Flatbusted) and he was a ton of help. He's no longer there, but the other sales guys that I've talked to have been great and very responsive to my needs.
What are you doing to fix the stress cracks? Grinding them out and re-glassing?
Sean

Schiada Time
02-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks Sgettman. I know Chris Flatbroke real well and he actually went with me two weekends ago to look at it and him and his brother Tyson (hackjob) drove with me last friday to pick her up. All the stress is up top and they are just spiders-not open wounds so I should be okay to roll for a while. As for the hardware I am taking baby steps. I just ordered an Impys Classic 13.5-inch steering wheel and polished hub from Rex and plan to install some new gauges-hopefully Auto Meter's, and a new forward/reverse lever, some dash knobs for various accessories, and a billet knob for my forward and reverse lever. I think a new prop is in its future and i am going to clean up the rudder and polish out the cav plates. In addition I will lightly wet sand it and buff it out bitchin and of course put a fresh BBC in it with Lightning through-the transom headers. I'm already seeing dollar signs but it will be awesome.

msmeads1
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
good job Travis. :)
See you at next years regatta.
Jon

Hallett
02-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Travis thats great i know how bad you wanted one
we need to get together and do some boating this
summer you have my number call any time
congrats buddy. if you need me to post the pic's
i will be glad to. 2stanfield@citlink.net

Schiada Time
02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Thanks Bob and John. Its going to be awesome. I called Lee yesterday and told him and he was excited for me. I can't wait to hear Ron's reaction. I'm going to tow the boat to my Mom and Dad's this weekend (Mom knows-Dad doesn't yet) and surprise Dad with the boat. I grew up helping him work on his '22 Schiada in the driveway at our house of 36 years and I can't think of any place better to surprise Pops with my new pride and joy. He is going to be ecstatic. Looking forward to seeing all of you at next years regatta. Now start tossing out those engine suggestions. I'm debating between 502 and 572 and yes money is an object.

bordsmnj
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
wow Travis. Congrats! give me a call sometime. i may know of a couple long blocks around that might work well after rebuild for yuh. V-drive?FINALLY! :) :rollside:

Schiada Time
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks Jason. Im so excited. cant wait to get her runnin'. How are you and Linda doing? I got engaged too bro. Lots going on this year. Just sold the Hallett on Sunday night. Sad to see it go but life goes on. Its Schiada time! Oh and I bought a new to me truck too. Its a '99 Chevy CK 2500 crew cab 3/4-ton 2wd shortbed. Already put on a 7.5-inch lift, Weld wheels, 35" rubber and a custom audio system. Lots of changes going on. Anyways give me a call. my new cell is 714-276-5268. Oh and I almost forgot I left Truckin' Mag too. I am now the Editor on StreetTrucks Magazine.
Trav

Schiada Time
03-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Dmonzta-What's your e-mail address? PM me with it if you would.
Trav

Hustler
03-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Right on Travis. I talked to Mike the other day and he told me he bought your boat. if you need me to post pic's send them to devildog_50@hotmail.com and I'll get them posted for you. Again congrats on the new the boat and welcome to the cruiser world.

dmontzsta
03-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Dmonzta-What's your e-mail address? PM me with it if you would.
Trav
Travis,
it is dmontzsta@werd.com
hit me up yo.

victorfb
03-02-2006, 12:53 AM
congradulations travis. you must be stoked. i cant wait to see her. as far as the 502 vs the 572, well as you know there is ne replacement for dissplacement. but dont discount the 502. but whichever you order, just know that you CAN order them specific. meaning differant cams, heads, clearances. ect.

Schiada Time
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys. I think 502 is going to be the front runner for this project. I can always make it a 540 later. Budget only goes so far and i have a few other items to buy-new prop, gauges, forward/reverse lever etc. Going to throw a rebuild on trailer bearings and put new wheels and tires on the trailer (they are really bad and I peeled tread off of one traler tire on the way home from picking it up). She's a runner and should clean up nicely. thanks for all the nods of approval.

cyclone
03-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Trav- a few things to think about when picking a BBC. Gen 4 stuff is more common and readily available than the Mark V and VI engines. Plus there are lots of aftermarket crate motor builders out there you should check out before arbitrarily picking a GMPP crate motor. Some that might offer better potential for modification later on like World Products for starters....

Schiada Time
03-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Mike- I spent some time on the phone with the guy from World Products today and that sounds promising. They have a 540 and a 509 that seem like viable options. Of course like most I am on a budget but for what you get both engines did not sound too bad. My only concern is clearances. tolerances, and such for a marine app. If I do GMPP i can order specific tolerances. Trying to explore a host of different options but don't have loads of time. I would like to have an engine in the next three weeks so i can get it in the boat, slap on some TT headers, do some plumbing, fill her full of oil, and light her off. I need to pick up a new prop, clean up the rudder, drop in a new propshaft seal and rudder box seal and I'm pretty much good to go.
Trav

Hallett
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Travis what internal parts are they offering in that 540 deal
block crank heads.

Schiada Time
03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
All Forged Eagle components. 4-1/4 stroke Eagle forged steel, Eagle H-beam forged rods. I think the 502 is going to be the best solution for my budget considering I have almost 4K to spend after the engine arrives for exhaust, oil pan and accessories.
Trav

dossangers
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Theres nothing wrong with EAGLE parts under 1500 HP they work just as good as the most expensive stuff!!! Im turning my deal consistently over 8000 rpms!!! My engine BUILDER approves!! :boxed: :rollside: :boxed: :rollside:

Hallett
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
All Forged Eagle components. 4-1/4 stroke Eagle forged steel, Eagle H-beam forged rods. I think the 502 is going to be the best solution for my budget considering I have almost 4K to spend after the engine arrives for exhaust, oil pan and accessories.
Trav Nothing wrong with the eagle stuff should work just fine
if it's setup properly. the 540 should be close to the same price.
you know the schiadas love big hp. i know you will be happy what
ever way you go i am happy for you. :)

Schiada Time
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks Bob. First intincts tell me to go big but I've got to consider the funds. The 502 is a good motor and a strong base to expand on down the road. I'm waiting to hear from my contact at GM to see if I can get a bro deal but if not its off to Summitt I go. I'll need a V-drive oil pan, a new pick-up, exhaust (probably logs), a flexplate, alternator, and a flame arrestor. I'm going to take the prop and get it magan fluxed to make it sure it has no cracks and if not I'll run it. Going to clean the rust off the rudder, drop in a new prop shaft seal and rudder seal, install a new steering wheel, and some new exhaust tips and its off to the water. I've got a few months so hopefully everything goes smooth and i don't find any huge surprises.
trav

MKEELINE
03-03-2006, 10:41 AM
You may want to talk to Barry,Obnoxious001, from the boards. He's got a couple motors for sale, with really good parts(Lunati, Crower,Dart, etc.) Might be worth a look.

Schiada Time
03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks Mkeeline- i spoke to Barry the other day and he has a BBC I am considering.
Thanks

MKEELINE
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
No problem. That 22 would be sweet with a twin turbo setup :).

Schiada Time
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
My pockets would be sweet with a lot more cash in them!

MKEELINE
03-03-2006, 02:35 PM
My pockets would be sweet with a lot more cash in them!
I hear you on that. But, you would be surprised by how cheap you could pickup an older Banks style setup for. If done correctly, they make alot of power. I sold a complete older turbo setup awhile back for less than it would cost to put exhaust, intake and carb on a NA motor. Just something to consider or not. Either way your going to have a way cool cruiser, keep posting your progress.
Have fun,
Mike

RiverDave
03-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Even though I don't know you that well Travis, Congragulations on the boat!! I'm sure you have to be stoked! I know I would be..
My .02 on the motor thing.. Even if you don't have the money, just save your nickels and dimes and built it how you want it. Kinda like SuperDave, his boat hasn't hit water in years, but when it does damn near everybody on ***boat is going to want to see it!! LOL Better to have something nicer later, then something your not going to be happy with later now. ;) Look at me I've been working on bubbles for 4 years now.. I'm weeks away from finishing it, and I still can't bring myself to cut a corner.. (even after I sold it)
RD

InKahntrol
03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey Travis,
Congrats on the boat! My dad had a 22' Schiada for a while, I fell in love with that boat and have lusted after one ever since. Got a Campbell instead... but one day, I'll have a boat with a seahorse on the side.
I sent you a PM regarding engine stuff...
-Dan

ssmike
03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Kinda like SuperDave, his boat hasn't hit water in years
emphasis on yearS....
LOL. Come on now, just kidding. I've got a lot of love for Sdave013.....

Schiada Time
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. i don't think the 502 is a tremendous compromise. I have to go boating this summer!!! Down the road I'll up[grade the cam, toss on some Lightnings and be happy. Its a heavy pig and with my budget it is never going to be a 100 mph boat. I'll be staisfied with an eventual 80 mph cruiser. when i want to go stupid fast i'll build a flatty.
Trav

AzMandella
03-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Redrocker.Before you make any decisions take a look at Ohio Crank.They have great prices on shortblocks,longblocks and rotating assemblies.And all include top notch parts.And as RD said do it right the first time even if you are going to do it with further mods in mind.Don't let your haste make waist.There is no substitute for CI's.especialy with a heavier boat.I have used Ohio Crank many times with nothing but the best results.They use 4340 cranks,H-beam rods,JE or SRP pistons,Clevite H series bearings,and speed pro rings in their kits.You can get a 540 to 565 CI rotating assembly for 2000.00$.

dossangers
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
This is a good deal 4099.00 FULLY MACHINED balanced AND ASSEMBLED 572-580-588-598 inches....
New Dart Big M (the finest aftermarket iron block on the market) tall deck block 10.2" deck height with a Finish bore of 4.50 - 4.6"
4340 forged steel Eagle Crankshaft - we have run these past 1600hp without any failures 4.500"
Eagle 4340"H" Beam Rods 6.535" 6.7 or 6.8"* long,
A new set of JE SRP forged racing pistons , your choice of bore 4.500" or 4.530" or 4.56" or 4.60"and your choice of flattop or domes 10:1, 11.:1, or 14.5:1.
NEW file fit moly Racing rings KING ALLECULAR PRO RACE rods, and mains narrowed to clear large filet (radius) on the crankshaft.
upgrades are available upon request please call ALL PARTS ARE NEW
The block is finish honed and cam bearings installed. The rotating assembly will be internally balanced. FILE FITTED MOLYRINGS clearanced and assembled all assembly goes through a triple check system to guarantee superior quality . *-with 6.8 rod minor deck work req
This kit will easily balance internally,We do balance them in house on our hines balancer. we do sell these kit on ebay, and also fully assembled, so we can get you what you want on ebay, we are the largest EAGLE dealer on ebay, and we do have these for auction with eagle parts too. a real shop in las vegas nv for 8 + years, we are no fly by night operation, [or working out of our garage]. call us with questions or email 702-567-3035. buyer pays truck freight, our discount is up to 60% so the balance to pay is lower than ever. we accept checks, money orders, credit cards at the shop [by phone] and paypal. our address is: Dyno-Flo 1180 Center Point suite B Henderson NV 89074
This item is USED
Trades NOT ACCEPTED
Item Location: HENDERSON, NV

DansBlown73Nordic
03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Congrats. on the new Schiada. I own one of maybe two or three in New York State. You will love it. Lots of room. Rides like a DREAM!!!!

Schiada Time
03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Well the cats finally out of the bag. Took the boat out of my buddy's yard this weekend and towed it over to my parents house and surprised dad with it. Needless to say he was both shocked and extremely pleased. We sat in it for a few hours drinking beers and talking about what we wanted to do to the boat. Pretty cool day considering the history there. My uncle came over to-also a big Schiada buff and he crawled all over the boat giving it a clean bill of health. Can't wait to get her runnin'. I have several pictures from yesterday of the boat in the driveway, pics of pops and I next to it, and my future wife and I next to it. I'll send to dmonzta and have him post them up here. thanks everyone for the thumbs up and recommendations for power and such. i'll keep you posted.
Trav

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Looking at both the 572/620 HP from GMPP and the 509/560 HP from World Products. If the 572 is too much coin even with my connection than I am going to buy the 509. Should know something within the next few days. Going to tow the boat over to Schiada on Friday and have Lee look it over. Got to get busy. Planning to try and be in the water the weekend of May 27th at Mead and need to make atleast one trip to Elsinore before than to test and tune. I'll keep you all posted.
trav

cyclone
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Where's the pictures dammit!

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
working on pics. They are in my mom's camera so I'll get her to e-mail them and I'll have dmonzta post them up. Sorry for the delay.
Trav

InKahntrol
03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
god just killed a puppy because of this thread...

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 03:52 PM
What the heck does that last post mean?

Highlimit9000
03-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Where's the pictures dammit!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/19922_Schiada.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/19922_Schiada2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/19922_Schiada1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/19922_Schiada3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/19922_Schiada4.jpg

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 04:50 PM
There she is. Thanks Corleone 17! I'm looking forward to getting her running and ready for the water.
trav

Highlimit9000
03-07-2006, 04:55 PM
There she is. Thanks Corleone 17! I'm looking forward to getting her running and ready for the water.
trav
No Problem, Congrads you snagged her from me. Well, not for me. It was for my friend though. Since I already have a 22 Schiada just like that one. It is in below pic. You sound alot more excited than he would have been to get it. Good Luck with it. John...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199Copy_1_of_IMG_0003.JPG

Schiada Time
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks Corleone. I am really happy to have the boat and as I am sure you have read have a long history with the Schiada's and the Spindlers. Could not be happier. Now I just have to spend some coin and get her on th water.
trav

Schiada Time
03-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Well after doing all my homework the 502 Chevy Crate engine is what I have chosen to go with. My budget is the best fit for this engine and i can always bump it up later. Thanks for all the recommendations!
Trav

Schiada Time
03-10-2006, 02:53 PM
Ordered the engine today from GMPP and planning to call shortly and order up an oil pan and pick up. Going to hoist the tranny out next weekend and take it to get gone through. Before running I plan to drop the oil in the V-drive and inspect and if looks ship shape re-fill and hit it. I stopped by Schiada today and rapped with Lee for an hour. He recommended changing the strut bearings, replacing prop shaft seal and rudder seal and re-wiring and re-plumbing the boat before we drop the engine in. My Impy's wheel should be arriving shortly from Rex and after the engine is in i need to tow the boat to Lightning MFG for the header measurements and to order them up. I have wheels and tires in process for the trailer-some old school chrome baby moons with 15-inch trailer tires and plan to re-do the bearings and repair the surge brake system. A color sand and buff will finish her off nicely for this year and when money allows over the years I'll drop a new interior and some upgraded tunes in her. Thats all for now.
trav

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Ordered the engine today from GMPP and planning to call shortly and order up an oil pan and pick up. Going to hoist the tranny out next weekend and take it to get gone through. Before running I plan to drop the oil in the V-drive and inspect and if looks ship shape re-fill and hit it. I stopped by Schiada today and rapped with Lee for an hour. He recommended changing the strut bearings, replacing prop shaft seal and rudder seal and re-wiring and re-plumbing the boat before we drop the engine in. My Impy's wheel should be arriving shortly from Rex and after the engine is in i need to tow the boat to Lightning MFG for the header measurements and to order them up. I have wheels and tires in process for the trailer-some old school chrome baby moons with 15-inch trailer tires and plan to re-do the bearings and repair the surge brake system. A color sand and buff will finish her off nicely for this year and when money allows over the years I'll drop a new interior and some upgraded tunes in her. Thats all for now.
trav
Sounds like it is coming along FAST.

Schiada Time
03-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks dmonzta. I am trying to stay focused as summer is around the corner.
By the way I do not think I got your e-mail right for those pics.
trav

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks dmonzta. I am trying to stay focused as summer is around the corner.
By the way I do not think I got your e-mail right for those pics.
trav
dmontzsta@werd.com
:)

Schiada Time
03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Shooting you the pics right now.
trav

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
This looks like good times here. I can tell that boat is going to be a beauty.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20082%5b1%5d.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20083%5b1%5d.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20085.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20086.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20087%5b1%5d.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20088%5b1%5d.jpg http://www.dmontzsta.com/MiscStuff/MiscPics/TravisSchiada/Boulder%20house%20casita%20&%20Trav's%20boat%20089.jpg

Schiada Time
03-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks Dmontzsta- Lots to do but it will be all worth it. My Dad was ecstatic considering the Schiada history we have. Cant wait to get her running and in the water. Thanks for posting the pics! This weekend I get to put a Schiada sticker on my truck. never thought the day would come. Extra Cool!
Trav

bordsmnj
03-10-2006, 06:00 PM
NIIIICE!! :)

dmontzsta
03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks Dmontzsta- Lots to do but it will be all worth it. My Dad was ecstatic considering the Schiada history we have. Cant wait to get her running and in the water. Thanks for posting the pics! This weekend I get to put a Schiada sticker on my truck. never thought the day would come. Extra Cool!
Trav
Travis, no problem dude. I am excited for you and cant wait to see your boat all done and out at the river.
:)