PDA

View Full Version : What parts would I need?

R/C-PILOT
09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I love this little boat! I'm thinking of putting a BBC in it, the small block is ok, but I think a BB would be that much better. What's the difference in weight, a 100lbs and 4 inches longer? My question is: What parts would I need to make this happen? It has full length stringers. I believe it has a "3 point" motor mount, 2 in front and where it attaches to to 12JE pump. I was going to go to twisty thru transom headers anyway. Aside from the actual cost of the BB and bolt ons, I'm thinking it really wouldn't cost me that much, would it? What all am I looking at here?
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9044/dsc02939jpgko2.jpg

Jetaholic
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
You're gonna need new logs...but you've already decided to go with the TT headers so that's good. The motor mounts are also different...honestly I'd change over to a rail mount setup. Much stronger and makes the motor much easier to pull if you ever need to. However if you decide to stick with the 3 point setup, you'll need a different front plate and a different bellhousing.
The adapter that bolts onto the crankshaft for the U-joint driveline is also different.
Other than that you should be good to go.

BIKINI HUNTER
09-27-2007, 06:35 PM
wow that boat is so frickin cool looking if you want to put a big block in it personally I would do it even if they say it cant be done but just dont take out the kids on the first trip until you see it is safe. just my 2cents

Outlaw
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Small block Chevys and Big Block chevys have the same
bell housing bolt patterns and the same motor mount locations on the block. so if you have a three point mount
you could use the same mounts on the big block.
if your lucky enough to have a flex plate on the small block
the crank hub would also work.

Cas
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
for about the same money, I think I'd throw a little blower on that mouse motor. Wake it up and shock a few BB guys :D
I think something like this would look great in your boat!
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/Red-blower.jpg
or maybe a 383 with EFI!?
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/383-chev.jpg

Sleeper CP
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
You might want to consider a stoker small block. Or maybe a bored out
400. Some thing over 410" with a good set of heads... you would be surprized.
Just my .02
My 409" sm/blk Ford makes 650 hp at 6,500 with a single 750 Holley.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

atxwrangler
09-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I Think It Would Bee Cooler To Just Add A Small Blower!:d

R/C-PILOT
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Man, the blower would be cool, but I don't know anything about keeping it running reliably. Chrome and go fast, that would be cool though. Aren't they alot of work? What kind of work to the engine would be needed? Compression? Type of pistons? What kind of money would I be looking at for this?
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8623/dsc00596np2.jpg

victorfb
09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
id have to agree with the idea if keeping the small block and adding ponies. that little 16' hull will get even smaller with a big block in it, and i for one dont think you need it. if the funds were available i would look into getting Worlds small block 454 crate style engine for it. they build a few differant combo's. although the blower idea does put alot of looks into the picture aswell as power. a healthy bottom end would need to be done to your small block in order to go the forced induction route, but that is very easy to accomplish. a forged rotating assembly with a good combo of parts and youd be amazed what that little boat would do. just be careful with that much power in a 16' boat. whoooooyyyyaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!:D

Oldsquirt
09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I, too, like the idea of a big inch small block in that hull. There are lots of options in that area these days. You don't have much rear seat room to begin with, so losing 4+" to swap in a BBC is going to hurt.

atxwrangler
09-28-2007, 04:07 AM
although highly recommended,icouldn't he get away with a small amount of boost without rebuilding the bottom end?once the blower is set up properly,you shouldn't have to mess with it all that much.just small things like checking oil in the blower,running your valves ,if you go solid lift or roller,monitering oil temp!i think you would run out of room with a big block in the boat.here ya go!http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holley-Weiand-177-Prostreet-Supercharger-6512-1-Chevy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQihZ017QQit emZ270170460582QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

ck7684
09-28-2007, 04:31 AM
I dunno, I gotta say I love my BBC in my 16 footer, but you obviously have plenty of options...blower might be cheaper since you already have the engine and would look awesome too...do you have room for the blower belt?
Aside from the cost of the BB and bolt-ons, there really isnt anything else :D

Cas
09-28-2007, 06:23 AM
those little 177's are made for a basically stock car engine. I'm thinking for a jet boat that is running higher rpms all the time, a real good bottom end would be a good idea. The claim is somewhere around 100hp out of the box with about 4lbs of boost....not sure about the long nose though.
Thing is, that Tahiti 16 wasn't made to go fast, 70 tops. With the deep entry, they run a real good chance to do some nasty bow steering. Yea, I'm sure there are people that will say they had one to 85 but it still isn't safe. You've got a classic in great shape and running condition.

centerhill condor
09-28-2007, 06:51 AM
You've got a classic in great shape and running condition.
Also, performance and reliability are unfavorably related. More power means more breaky and more money.
CC

ck7684
09-28-2007, 07:46 AM
those little 177's are made for a basically stock car engine. I'm thinking for a jet boat that is running higher rpms all the time, a real good bottom end would be a good idea. The claim is somewhere around 100hp out of the box with about 4lbs of boost....not sure about the long nose though.
Thing is, that Tahiti 16 wasn't made to go fast, 70 tops. With the deep entry, they run a real good chance to do some nasty bow steering. Yea, I'm sure there are people that will say they had one to 85 but it still isn't safe. You've got a classic in great shape and running condition.
True...I'm pretty sure mine will go a lot more than 70 now, but I dont really plan on running much faster than that. Main thing for me is the wow factor of a BBC in a 16ft hull, the sound :D, the hole shot and acceleration. I'm not very concerned with top speed as long as it's respectable compared to other similiar boats...

R/C-PILOT
09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Damn CAS, I was throwing logic to the wind till I read, "You've got a classic in great shape and running condition", your right, thats what I bought it for. However, here in the midwest (50 miles west of Chicago), everyone has street rods, showcars of some sort. Jet boats and v-drives aren't very prevalent. I think a tastefully done chromed, blown, small block on a nice original hull would be great, kinda like a tubbed sleeper, 66 Chevy II with a state of the art injected or blown mill. The marina I keep my houseboat at has a bunch of older guys that just drool over the Tahiti. We'll see how this winter goes here...

Cas
09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
I think a tastefully done chromed, blown, small block on a nice original hull would be great, kinda like a tubbed sleeper, 66 Chevy II with a state of the art injected or blown mill.
that's exactly what you got! When done, it'll be a show piece with a lot of envious onlookers...it's not always about the speed :)

ck7684
09-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Thats basically what I wanted. I tried to redo everything as stock, except with a hotter engine...but mine had a factory 454, so...:D

Sleeper CP
09-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Check out racingjunk.com you can get some killer deals on there. With winter comming up you might be able to find your blower or stroker sm/blk for cheap.
An old style B&M mini blower or Weiand mini blower on a well built sm/blk sounds like a good idea. I'm partial to a Stroker Sm/Blk with a good set of heads, with the right parts you can make 600+ hp at under 6,500.
The blower will be less money though....
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

BILLET
09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I have the same hull as rc but it allready had a big motor in it when I bought it. The two downers are it basicaly becomes a two seater, and when you are not moving, it sits way lower in the water then rc's boat dose with the small block. A more recent discovery that I've made was that the before the boat reaches top speed, it will start to cavitate the pump, out of the hole is incredible though. Oh yea the handling sucks with the big motor too, I found that out the hard way.
Billet

RitcheyRch
09-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Last I read a SBC weighs in at about 550 pounds (minus 75 for aluminum heads) and a BBC weighs in at about 750 pounds.

BILLET
09-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Two hundred pounds is alot of wieght in that short of a boat, even more so it changes the center of gravity on the hull.

R/C-PILOT
09-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Anybody own or have any pictures of any blown SMALL block jet boats?

sleekcrafter
09-30-2007, 06:17 AM
A blower set-up will add more than just a few pounds too. There are some nice stroker small blocks out there now, just going to need an exhaust system that can handle this either way you go.

old rigger
09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
I'd have to agree with everyone that says stick with the SBC.
In the end, what do you what to gain? No matter what you do the the small block, or for that matter the BBC, you're stuck with an E pump. I understand the want, the need, the desire to go bigger, badder, faster but the truth of the matter is you have a 16 foot Tahiti with an E pump. (that's a very nice looking boat by the way) It is what it is. You want to go faster, start with a better platform to achieve those goals. :)
Enjoy that cool little ride the way it is.

jetboatperformance
09-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Rc leave the SBC ,Ive wanted to own one of those little boats for years ever since a cust brought one in for a starter . The small Wieand blowers work very well i've run one on my family boat for years (BBC) (I'm currently changing it out for bigger but not because of disatisfaction) "Crank" that current SBC up with a stroker kit and some heads ,guys are getting very Impressive numbers out of them! Our 16 footer ran just under 80 before the new motor and rides and handles real well Tom :D

R/C-PILOT
09-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Everyones had some great input here. I think I'll probably keep the small block, see what happens this winter. With my daughter is expecting a car on her 16th b-day in Feb. and now I've got my eye on a 57ft houseboat that just came up forsale yesterday. Man, would "Sweet Little Sixteen" look cool hangin off the back on the davits. We could take her with us, instead of one or the other.

TeamHawaiin
10-01-2007, 12:21 AM
R/C I'm in the same same boat.....:D as you are. I have a BBC on the engine stand that just needs a boat parts put on it and in it (cam, oil pan, etc.) My 17' Hawaiian presently has a ZZ-4 SBC in it rated at 300 hp. It has the 3-point set-up as yours and OT SS Rewarder headers. I'm looking for hole shots as well. I also have a 400 SBC on the engine stand. If I use the 400, I get to keep the headers and all parts presently on the boat. But man BBC can sure bring a wow factor. I only have enough money to build one. BBC will require a little more money for the extra parts (headers, oil pan). It will also add extra weight. Billet did mention the handling will change. I can agree with that. But now what do I do with the BBC? I tcan't just set on the engine stand forever.:idea:

R/C-PILOT
10-01-2007, 04:36 AM
TeamHawaiin, you won't have any problems selling the BBC. I'm sure there is at least 5 guys that are on this site, interested in the BBC. When I'm ready, there will be a ton of small block stuff forsale. I'd like to find a set of twisted thru transom headers for small block that aren't within a few hundred dollars of what I paid for the whole boat! I guess I'm dating myself when I say I paid $300 for a NEW set of Hooker headers for my then, 7 year old 69 z-28 camaro.

ck7684
10-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Hey, you can still get new headers for a Camaro for $300 :D but thats apples n oranges...
I wonder how my boat would handle with a SB...:idea:
BTW, whats wrong with a "E" pump?? I have an "F" and for my use (which is the same as R/C's) it seems to be a great pump...I've got all the performance I need...:D

old rigger
10-01-2007, 06:24 AM
R/C, when you get ready to sell the stock sbc manifolds let me know. :)
Nothing wrong at all with the E/F berks. As you've seen they do everything that you'd want. We sold tons of them through the years, they do give you 3-4 inches more room in small boats which is a bunch in a 16 footer. You don't have the flexibility with the intake like a JG and if you'd ever want to do a set back pump, you can't. We did countless 18 bubbles at Advantage with the big block E and the small block E, they ran within 2 or 3 miles and hour of each other. The customers that wanted more performance, now or later, bought with the berk JG.
Always like the looks of that little 16 Tahiti R/C has, it was built long after we worked there but it has a cool look to it. Save for the little spoiler on the bustle, it has a nice 60's feel to the hull. It has nothing to do with the old school 16 Tahiti, the bottom ck7684's boat, and probably doesn't have quite the ride of the old one but has to be much quicker I'd think with out that deep entry.

Cas
10-01-2007, 07:07 AM
BTW, whats wrong with a "E" pump?? I have an "F" and for my use (which is the same as R/C's) it seems to be a great pump...I've got all the performance I need...:D
there's nothing wrong with the E and F pumps other than they aren't the pump of choice for racing. The have most all the flexibility for changing parts to get better performance but they have limitations compared to the other Berk pumps. For a lake boat, they're good pumps.

R/C-PILOT
10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Old Rigger, you speak of "deep entry". Are you talking about amount of drop on the centerline, from the deck to the keel? How does this effect handling?

old rigger
10-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the part of the boat that cuts through the chop first. On the old Tahitis and it's countless clones, that's great for a smooth ride but if you're going fast like they did back in the day at the drags and you get off the gas on purpose or if something breaks, the nose will drop in act like a big fin and the boat can turn what every way it wants to. More than one driver was thrown out, or through the side of his ol' drag boat before they started to mess with the bottoms and elimated that to a sleeker design like on your boat.
This boat below, which you can see was the WORLDS fastest jet boat in '67, lol, was a handfull to drive and Dick Clark told me that no one wanted to race against him. Not for fear of getting beat, but just the fear of being hit because at the end of the track, after the lights, the boat would switch lanes at will when that deep entry re-entered the water.
This record run by the way was with the very first droop installed. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/clarktahiti.jpg

Bajajet
10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Ah yes the E/F pump / Dominator TD pump debate. True they are not ideal but as with all of these it is the all in the setup. Don't misunderstand me I realize the benefits of the pumps with a set intake. Just don't discount what the inserts can do. Seems that I know of some brothers that have done stuff with them that doesn't seem like it should work :) - Again not trying to start anything.

sleekcrafter
10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Ah yes the E/F pump / Dominator TD pump debate. True they are not ideal but as with all of these it is the all in the setup. Don't misunderstand me I realize the benefits of the pumps with a set intake. Just don't discount what the inserts can do. Seems that I know of some brothers that have done stuff with them that doesn't seem like it should work :) - Again not trying to start anything.
Except that you can run circles around the BIG Baja's! :D Your boat indeed runs very well "Bajajet"

R/C-PILOT
10-02-2007, 04:29 AM
R/C, when you get ready to sell the stock sbc manifolds let me know. :)
Always like the looks of that little 16 Tahiti R/C has, it was built long after we worked there but it has a cool look to it. Save for the little spoiler on the bustle, it has a nice 60's feel to the hull. It has nothing to do with the old school 16 Tahiti, the bottom ck7684's boat, and probably doesn't have quite the ride of the old one but has to be much quicker I'd think with out that deep entry.
Yeah, I like the look of the spoiler as well, It looks like the 60's camaro/firebird's. http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4876/dsc00436vm3.jpgWhen I first bought it.

ck7684
10-02-2007, 04:52 AM
What's the front end of your hull look like? Also, how hard is it to covert that pump to an "F"?? I think it would be worth it...

flat broke
10-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Changing that pump to an "F" would require swapping out the "C/E" style bowl for a "B/G" type bowl with a flange to bolt the steering adapter/socket onto the back of the pump. The rest of it is the same.
R/C. I'm with everyone else here, if you want to go faster, just stick with the SBC. The extra weight and loss of space with a BBC will take a lot of fun out of the boat. Something else to think about, adding a blower to that SBC will eat up about as much interior as a BBC when you consider the blower pulleys etc. If you want more performance and a nostalgic hotrod look. Why not run one of the newer EFI setups utilizing the old stack injection setups. A standard stack or calliope staggered stacks would look really cool with that little boat. You could EASILY build a stout EFI SBC that puts out as much power as many of the BBC's floating around.
As Cas said, you have a nice little clean classic there. Just work on the finishing touches and leave the dreams of 80+mph to a different hull.
Chris

1968Droptop
10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
FlatBroke was thinking the same thing I was thinking. A blower would be very cool as well, but you'll lose a lot of room with that belt. It looks as though your passengers are right on top of the motor. That's awfulling close if you have a belt turning 5K.
I think you can add bling and power at the same time, all while keeping the small block. Maybe a tunnel ram with a nice scoop and headers ? Aluminum heads ? Nitrious lines plumbed to the intake would work too. That would spice it right up :D

ck7684
10-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Even a polished alum or edelbrock's endurashine intake and valve covers would add some eye appeal, especially with some type of scoop on it...if you want more performance a 383 would be the ticket...or just say to hell with it and go BBC :D
Proform makes a really nice looking set of polished alum valve covers that say Chevrolet and has the bow tie on them...
I'm attempting to post a picture that I have but cant access right now, but it should be of a 350 I built for my brother in law with these covers...
http://a789.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_f036f61b426467429c11f4274078731c.jpg

Cas
10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty sure something like this would turn just about everyone's head!
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/fredsengine.jpg
it's only money :D

sleekcrafter
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Or how about the World products 454 SBC 600HP/575ft lbs tq, and 2 year warranty.
http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/images/MotownLimitedEdition.jpg

Placecraft Dragstar
10-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Here is a nice little asp engine, its only a 762 wedge head 1530 HP
http://static.racingjunk.com/1/ui/9/29/9573898915214.jpg

R/C-PILOT
10-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Man, there was a bunch of great ideas in those pictures. I've decided I'm not going to go to a BBC, I'll keep the small block. I may just put a cam in it and polished intake and heads and call it a day. Then, maybe as funds allow, find a different BBC boat next fall. Can ya tell my boy likes this boat too?
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7995/dsc00445et6.jpg

sleekcrafter
10-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Man, there was a bunch of great ideas in those pictures. I've decided I'm not going to go to a BBC, I'll keep the small block. I may just put a cam in it and polished intake and heads and call it a day. Then, maybe as funds allow, find a different BBC boat next fall. Can ya tell my boy likes this boat too?
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7995/dsc00445et6.jpg
Keep it simple, and you will have more fun;)

ck7684
10-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Or even a polished dual quad setup would be cool too...
http://www.streetperformance.com/ART/products/341_20354RGB.jpg

Pops@Aggressor
10-03-2007, 11:47 AM
for about the same money, I think I'd throw a little blower on that mouse motor. Wake it up and shock a few BB guys :D
I think something like this would look great in your boat!
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/Red-blower.jpg
or maybe a 383 with EFI!?
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/383-chev.jpgThat is nice! Put our new Cupped pre-load with that in a "AA"and a 11 vane with a 3.250 Insert, and a Collar Neck Brace, Just Grins and Smiles.

R/C-PILOT
10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
That is nice! Put our new Cupped pre-load with that in a "AA"and a 11 vane with a 3.250 Insert, and a Collar Neck Brace, Just Grins and Smiles.
Pops, I'm real NEW to jet boating, speak english.