PDA

View Full Version : New trailer for my 19' jet?...

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey what up guys...my trailer right now is just fine, but is showing its age w/ all of the chips and chit...and on top of that, the boat has no tongue weight!...it just ballances itself when its off of the truck..so what i was thinking is that maybe i could have one of the big trailer makers fab up a trailer exactly like mine, but have the tongue about 3-4ft longer than mine so i can put a nice diamond plate storage box on it just in front of the boat, so it will actually have some tongue weight and tow smoother on the road...has anyone done this? how much would it be? any input would be great. thanx!
Reid

MudPumper
09-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Call Mike Livingston at Livingston Trailers if you want a new one. Best quality trailer built.
Livingston Trailers
39360 3rd Steet East, Unit 307A Palmdale, CA 93550
(661) 272-4540

victorfb
09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
sounds like you need to have the axles moved back a couple inches. do you have any pics? cuting and re-welding new spring perches is a pretty simple task and at that time you can have the trailer re-painted.

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 09:20 AM
sounds like you need to have the axles moved back a couple inches. do you have any pics? cuting and re-welding new spring perches is a pretty simple task and at that time you can have the trailer re-painted.
VERY TRUE! but, i would also think it would be pretty bitchin' to have a diamond plate storage box up front, kinda like a motorcycle trailer or something...i dont have any pics of the trailer unloaded, so it would'nt help much i wouldnt think...
Reid

victorfb
09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
actaully i meant pics of it with the boat loaded. that will give a better referance.
having a box up front (like a PWC trailer) may be a good idea. storage and possibly a spot for spare tire. i suppose i jumped the gun and thought you wanted a cheaper fix. a custom built trailer is not going to be cheap/inexpensive. fix yours for under $500 or buy a custom built one for thousands. id say your probably looking at about $5000 for a custom trailer with box and all.
if you go that route, please post some pics of it. im sure others on here would love to see it aswell.

speedymopars
09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
get it fixed! That was the cause of my eventual tongue failure and accident!
Have the axles moved, build a new trailer, have yours fixed before it is too late.
I am having a trailer made by Baja custom trailers in gardenia. They look like they will work - time will tell.

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
actaully i meant pics of it with the boat loaded. that will give a better referance.
having a box up front (like a PWC trailer) may be a good idea. storage and possibly a spot for spare tire. i suppose i jumped the gun and thought you wanted a cheaper fix. a custom built trailer is not going to be cheap/inexpensive. fix yours for under $500 or buy a custom built one for thousands. id say your probably looking at about $5000 for a custom trailer with box and all.
if you go that route, please post some pics of it. im sure others on here would love to see it aswell.
yeah thats exactly what i was thinking about!...im prolly gonna go that route cuz i dont wanna blow some savings on a 5k+ trailer u know?...thanx alot for the advice...but one more question:...would it be possible to cut the front 5ft off of the trailer and weld new beams on straight instead of a tapering angle to the tongue? that way i could prolly extend the trailer for much much cheaper than a new one altogether...what do u guys think bout that?
Reid

victorfb
09-28-2007, 10:43 AM
you would be better off extending the rear of the trailer and adding supports to the extended section. then moving the axles back.

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
get it fixed! That was the cause of my eventual tongue failure and accident!
Have the axles moved, build a new trailer, have yours fixed before it is too late.
I am having a trailer made by Baja custom trailers in gardenia. They look like they will work - time will tell.
niiice! thanx for the reference...gardena isnt too far from long beach so ill check w/ them...heres a pic of the boat/trailer as she sits right now :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3267P1010544.JPG

victorfb
09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
nice looking boat and trailer. hard to tell from the pic, but does the transum hang back from the end of the bunks?

Oldsquirt
09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Looks nice but it appears someone put a lift kit on the bunks. The boat sits awfully high compared to the norm.
To answer Victorfb's question, take a pic straight from the side showing the transom relative to the trailer.

Hustler
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Call Mike Livingston at Livingston Trailers if you want a new one. Best quality trailer built.
Livingston Trailers
39360 3rd Steet East, Unit 307A Palmdale, CA 93550
(661) 272-4540
Give Mike a call. He was the main guy at Ellis for years and will build a awsome trailer. He can also make any changes to your current trailer.
When he was at Ellis I had him move the boat forward 5", raise it 3", cut and shorten the rear, install a new tongue and rewire the whole thing with new lights for under $1,500. That was a few years ago so I dont know how his prices are these days but it's worth a call.

455Rocket
09-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Seems like ya'll want to spend some serious coin!!
To increase the tounge weight move the bunks and bar forward. I've done it on two boats. Looks like you have lots of room to spare.
If you want a box i'd pick up a longer, used trailer CHEAP and fab as necessary.

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 07:26 PM
nice looking boat and trailer. hard to tell from the pic, but does the transum hang back from the end of the bunks?
yeah it only hangs off about an inch behind the bunks...

Riverat84
09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Looks nice but it appears someone put a lift kit on the bunks. The boat sits awfully high compared to the norm.
To answer Victorfb's question, take a pic straight from the side showing the transom relative to the trailer.
crap! you know what? now that i look at it, it does look like the mounts are higher than norm...

YeLLowBoaT
09-28-2007, 07:43 PM
crap! you know what? now that i look at it, it does look like the mounts are higher than norm...
was most likly done to give you clearance for the fenders.

Oldsquirt
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah it only hangs off about an inch behind the bunks...
The hull should not hang over the end of the bunks. It should be the other way around. You should see an inch or so of the bunk exposed behind the boat. You can adjust this by moving the mount for the floater forward. You may also have to move the forward hull support. This may be all you need to get some tongue weight.
All the Eliminator bubbledecks I've seen sat on Competitive trailers and were only about an inch above the frame rails on the sides.

victorfb
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
yep, move the floater bar a good 2 inches forward and have the boat transum rest on the bunks with atleast an inch of the bunks showing. i bet that will give you the tongue weight you need.

Riverat84
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
niiice! thats sure sounds about all i need...thanx 4 the help gents..
Reid