PDA

View Full Version : So Im sitting here reading HB

Her454
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
and my smoke alarm in the hallway goes off. LOUD. Didn't realize what it was at first and got up out of my chair so fast I knocked myself down. And brought half the desk with me. :) Then I realized what it was and realllllly panicked. No fire, nothing. Had to remove the battery to get it to stop though. Now I can't hear a damn thing except ringing in my ears. :D

Havasu1986
09-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Change the batteries when time changes is a good rule to go by. ;)

Her454
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Actually, I just changed them on the first when we had a fire out front.

RitcheyRch
09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Thats what I have always done.

~FM
09-28-2007, 12:19 PM
and my smoke alarm in the hallway goes off. LOUD. Didn't realize what it was at first and got up out of my chair so fast I knocked myself down. And brought half the desk with me. :) Then I realized what it was and realllllly panicked. No fire, nothing. Had to remove the battery to get it to stop though. Now I can't hear a damn thing except ringing in my ears. :D
Coulda been worse ... coulda been on the toilet in the middle of something. :D Or there could have been an actual fire. Glad it was a false alarm - hope your hearing gets back to normal soonly. :wink:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-28-2007, 01:12 PM
We have four of them that would go off for no reason.
Finally figured that the neighbor was burning a really smoky wood in his fireplace,, and when the wind was blowing our way they'd set-off.

Her454
09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Coulda been worse ... coulda been on the toilet in the middle of something. :D Or there could have been an actual fire. Glad it was a false alarm - hope your hearing gets back to normal soonly. :wink:
We have had three close calls this year from fires. The last one being on Labor Day. That one came within feet of the house. The cause was a garbage truck hauling a dumpster that was dragging on the ground and sparking. It was veryyyyyyyyyyy loud and we heard him coming all the way down the road. Every time I hear a loud truck now I panic but I had never heard the smoke alarm before. The one in the back bedroom went off also about an hour ago. Kinda weird. Had to take the battery of that one too. Any idea's on why they might be going wacky? There is no smoke outside but its a bit breezy and overcast.

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Similar thing happened to me the other day. I was spending a little quality time on HB , listening to music and heard this pop sizzle sizzle pop sizzle pop.
I thought hmm, I've never heard that instrument in this song before. As I glanced behind me to get a better ear fix on the speakers to figure out this strange new instrument was, I see my coffee pot going up in flames literally !
T.

Her454
09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Similar thing happened to me the other day. I was spending a little quality time on HB , listening to music and heard this pop sizzle sizzle pop sizzle pop.
I thought hmm, I've never heard that instrument in this song before. As I glanced behind me to get a better ear fix on the speakers to figure out this strange new instrument was, I see my XXXXXX pot going up in flames literally !
T.
AZZHOLE.:D

Cheap Thrills
09-28-2007, 02:54 PM
AZZHOLE.:D
:D
Ha sorry I forgot :p
T.

Oldsquirt
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
.............. The one in the back bedroom went off also about an hour ago. Kinda weird. Had to take the battery of that one too. Any idea's on why they might be going wacky? There is no smoke outside but its a bit breezy and overcast.
Well it can't be from your cooking, since dialing 772-9516 shouldn't create that much smoke.....................:D
You do realize that when they say to "change the batteries" they mean to put NEW ones in not just move them from one alarm to another, right? :)

Her454
09-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Well it can't be from your cooking, since dialing 772-9516 shouldn't create that much smoke.....................:D
You do realize that when they say to "change the batteries" they mean to put NEW ones in not just move them from one alarm to another, right? :)
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe you remembered that number..... although now I prefer 772-0888. :D I did put new one's in. :rolleyes: :D

Oldsquirt
09-28-2007, 04:01 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe you remembered that number.....
Well, actually, I didn't. I just found one of their cutters that I saved. Comes in handy for Papa Murphy's............:)

Her454
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Well, actually, I didn't. I just found one of their cutters that I saved. Comes in handy for Papa Murphy's............:)
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Papa Murphy's. Hey, Brit & I are going to be down your way again in the next couple of weeks. Going to see my nephews, on Arnold Drive...is that close to you? . I still owe you Pizza if you have time. :D

Kim Hanson
09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Didn't realize what it was at first and got up out of my chair so fast I knocked myself down.
Seat belts are good :D :D
Now I can't hear a damn thing except ringing in my ears.
Better than me, I flicked a butt into the planter box before I went and got my daughter from school and came home to burnt trees and plants in the front yard :jawdrop: Welllllll, Marcy was livid....Did you throw a cigarette in the planter box, well ya ! Then it got good, we had the Fire Department here and neighbors here helping me bail water to put it out. :rolleyes:
I then asked, " What, doesn't the fire extinguisher work " ? We have 3 on my property!........( . )( . )..........I have no more Junipers !

91nordic29
09-29-2007, 07:44 AM
We had a close call with a large headboard and candles once but I am to chicken to tell the story, lol.:eek:

Cas
09-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Traci,
Some of the smoke alarms are also equipped with a sensor for detecting carbon monoxide. If yours has that sensor, you might want to get the house checked out and the furnace checked for a cracked heat exchanger.

Her454
09-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Traci,
Some of the smoke alarms are also equipped with a sensor for detecting carbon monoxide. If yours has that sensor, you might want to get the house checked out and the furnace checked for a cracked heat exchanger.
Thats exactly what Mike said when he got home last night.......:eek:

Rexone
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I flicked a butt into the planter box before I went and got my daughter from school and came home to burnt trees and plants in the front yard :jawdrop: Welllllll, Marcy was livid....Did you throw a cigarette in the planter box, well ya !
.......( . )( . )..........I have no more Junipers !
Classic Hanson right here. :)

Oldsquirt
09-29-2007, 08:43 AM
If it is a CO detector or a combination CO and smoke, it will say so on the cover. I think the CO alarm sound will also be different from the smoke alarm sound.
........... Going to see my nephews, on Arnold Drive...is that close to you? . I still owe you Pizza if you have time. :D
ON Arnold Drive? As in exit Hwy 4 westbound at Morello, turn right at bottom of ramp and then right again at the next corner? Apartments on the left side in the first two blocks? If so, that's about a mile from the turn to my place.
Bella Roma's closed early this year.

Her454
09-29-2007, 12:02 PM
I had one of my neighbors come over asking for help. Seemed every smoke alarm in the house was going off.
We found out they were all tied together and when one of the batteries failed they all went off. Turning off the breaker didn't help, the other batteries were all good. With 10 foot ceilings it wasn't fun. There were 6 to take down and unplug from the AC.
Not really anything in common with your trouble now that I type it out. But you saying that another went off an hour later made me think of it.
I am leaning towards the carbon monoxide idea too. Make sure you guys get that checked.
Forensic
If it is a CO detector or a combination CO and smoke, it will say so on the cover. I think the CO alarm sound will also be different from the smoke alarm sound..
Mike is at work again today and I checked the cover. No model #'s on it, or in the inside that I can find. I didn't put them up, they were here when I bought the house so I'm not sure what type they are.
HOWEVER, its an old house and it has a propane heater in the living room. I've had problems with it before ie; pilot light going out etc. I've noticed the smell of propane the last couple of days but when I mention it no one else ever smells it. I've even had the propane company out here checking for leaks and no leaks. I swear I smell it though and now that I think about it I've had a nasty headache the last couple of days also.
Could it be from the propane?
ON Arnold Drive? As in exit Hwy 4 westbound at Morello, turn right at bottom of ramp and then right again at the next corner? Apartments on the left side in the first two blocks? If so, that's about a mile from the turn to my place.
Bella Roma's closed early this year.
Yep I guess that would be it. Damn, I cant believe Bella Roma's closed. :( I remember that from when I was a little girl. Is there another good Pizza place close? :confused:

Cas
09-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Mike is at work again today and I checked the cover. No model #'s on it, or in the inside that I can find. I didn't put them up, they were here when I bought the house so I'm not sure what type they are.
HOWEVER, its an old house and it has a propane heater in the living room. I've had problems with it before ie; pilot light going out etc. I've noticed the smell of propane the last couple of days but when I mention it no one else ever smells it. I've even had the propane company out here checking for leaks and no leaks. I swear I smell it though and now that I think about it I've had a nasty headache the last couple of days also.
Could it be from the propane?
If it's an older smoke/CO alarm, the tone could very well be the same or it could be that it's a smoke alarm that's in need of replacement. As far as propane causing headaches, most definitely as will carbon monoxide. If you even think you're smelling it, make another call to get it checked. None of us want to hear or read about an explosion!
Carbon Monoxide is also not something to take lightly at all. A couple of acquatainces of mine died in their sleep when they used a propane heater in their tent. The heater was one that was supposed to shut off when it detected an unsafe level of CO, it didn't work.

ColeTR2
09-30-2007, 07:30 AM
For 25 to 45 bucks you can get a good Carbon monoxide / smoke detector. I'd go down to your nearest home improvement store and just get a new one. It sounds like yours could be going bad. Most of the time even older ones will just chirp when the batteries are going dead.

Cole Sanger
09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Had all of mine go off at 3am about 6 months ago. While replacing all of them, I found a spider crawling around the test button. Turns out, that is what was making them go off. One little spider on the button making a nest.

Her454
10-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Propane guy came out and checked the lines. Definitly not my imagination and I'm sure thats why I've felt so shitty the last week or so.
Combination of problems. Apparently the tank was empty and the guage is bad. Also, the tank is extremely old as are the lines from the house to the tank. I ordered a new tank and its been sitting beside the old one until the old tank ran out of gas so they could switch them out. Don't use any propane in the summer so its taken awhile for it to empty. Anyway, the lines are seeping out propane.............:eek: from underground and need to all be changed. We are moving the tank and building on so we planned on doing some changes anyway but now we are just doing it a little faster ...AND putting in new lines LOL.
He did tell me he didnt think the smoke alarms would activate from the propane but........
I knew I wasn't imagining that smell. :eek:

Oldsquirt
10-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Had all of mine go off at 3am about 6 months ago. While replacing all of them, I found a spider crawling around the test button. Turns out, that is what was making them go off. One little spider on the button making a nest.
I'm thinking there's probably a bunch of these guys running around Traci's house and just for fun they go push the "test" buttons. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3633terry.jpg

Debbolas
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Wow:jawdrop:
Hey, did they want to charge you for "stirring" your propane? We bought a new tank for the trailer and they wanted to charge Matt to stir the propane. :confused:
I'm thinking they saw we were from out of town and made the dam thing up.
Deb<-------glad you're ok :D
What does propane smell like?:idea:

Her454
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking there's probably a bunch of these guys running around Traci's house and just for fun they go push the "test" buttons. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3633terry.jpg
Was that the one in my garage? HOLY SHIT! I dont remember it being that big.......but then again.........:eek:
Its about that time of year again and Im cleaning my garage out today. No cats to warn me this time. :D
Wow:jawdrop:
Hey, did they want to charge you for "stirring" your propane? We bought a new tank for the trailer and they wanted to charge Matt to stir the propane. :confused:
I'm thinking they saw we were from out of town and made the dam thing up.
Deb<-------glad you're ok :D
What does propane smell like?:idea:
LOL, no he didnt say anything about stirring it...but did tell me it wasn't the propane I was smelling. Said it was something they use to make an odor as the propane is odorless. I told them they need to change the fragrance to something more acceptable. :D