PDA

View Full Version : 455 oil restricers how complicated?

matt1840
09-28-2007, 06:04 PM
so im going to be rebuilding my 455 and was just wondering about the restricters. Im very mechanically inclided but i have a few questions:
Is this something i can do at home on the ol' engine stand, or does a machine shop have to take care of it for me.
Do i need both the main berring and lifter restricters or would just the mains do fine for me.
any help would be great.

DelawareDave
09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
You can install the restrictors yourself. Or you can put cam bearings in with smaller holes to accomplish the same thing. If you run hydraulic lifters, then leave the lifter resrictors out. More important is to get the oil back from the heads to the pan. Add drainbacks in the heads while you have them off.

matt1840
09-28-2007, 07:14 PM
you say to add drainbacks??? is this accomplished by enlarging the return holes??

DelawareDave
09-29-2007, 04:56 AM
The basic idea is to drill the into back of the head, intersecting into the existing drain passage, tapping the hole, and running a line to the oil pan. I will scan some pics in a while. Maybe someone else who has done this will post up some pics as well.

DelawareDave
09-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Do a search for "drainback". You'll find some pics. Here are a couple to give you the idea. First one has the braided line going between the heads, then to the pan. Courtesy Fleetimus.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4155_UnTitled__23.jpg
This one has hard lines, and a really nice job of running them. Courtesy Taylorman.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/100_1253.jpg

matt1840
09-29-2007, 07:39 AM
NICE!!! ill have to look into that... did you guys just endup welding a nut above the oil line on the pan?

DelawareDave
09-29-2007, 09:29 AM
It is a "half-coupling", basically a pipe coupling sawed in half, and welded to the pan. Yes it goes above the oil level, and preferably in line with a main cap, instead of a rod that is throwing oil towards the drain line.

matt1840
09-29-2007, 11:37 AM
is this possible to do at home? or should i take the heads to a machine shop. where exactly are the heads drilled?

Liberator TJ1984
09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67287&highlight=455+buildup
he knows Olds , even let Mondello in on some new tricks ;)

DelawareDave
09-29-2007, 11:57 AM
is this possible to do at home? or should i take the heads to a machine shop. where exactly are the heads drilled?
You could do this at home if you have the proper tools. I would use a drill press, rather than by hand. Much easier, and the holes will be straight.
Specs: 1 11/16" down from the valve cover gasket surface
3 1/16" from the intake gasket surface
Drill & Tap for 3/8 NPT
Specs Courtesy Timinator & Hot Boat Magazine

matt1840
10-12-2007, 06:15 PM
since im having the chevy motor built for my tahiti i wanted to finish this block and make sure ive got things right before i sell it off or possibly keep as a spare..
just one question, should i run both the main restricters and restricted cam berrings, or would either one be ok by themselves... which is the best way to go.
mondello says i need the main restricters, cam berrings, and restricted push rods... i feel thats just a little to much restriction to the top end..

DelawareDave
10-13-2007, 04:18 AM
I would just use the cam bearings with smaller holes, and some guys put pipe cleaners in the pushrods. Mondollar is in business to make money. Is he going to advise you not to buy his stuff?
As previously stated before: The major issue with Olds motors and extended higher RPM's is all the oil ending up in the top end. 2 steps are required to resolve this. Slow the flow to the top, and get it back into the pan as fast as possible.

matt1840
10-13-2007, 06:57 AM
ok so cam berrings it is, and thats what i figured about mondello hes in it to make money. Can i run a standard HV pump or am i gonna have to go with mondellos "special pump" because of the restricted oil system..

DelawareDave
10-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Use an HV pump. Make sure you have a higher capacity oil pan, as well. Mondello pumps are most likely the same pump with a few "Mondollars" added to the price tag. :D