PDA

View Full Version : hot boat the magazine

jetboat
09-28-2007, 06:06 PM
was just wondering why with so many people on 'just jets" and "v- drives" yet hardley any on the large boat suite?the magazine does it one better, its all about the large ones and only a couple pages for the jets or v- drives!sure there great to see, but there one of the most " for sale" boats on this suite.seams only fair we get our share of coverage. even when they (hot boat)asked this summer for a photo shoot,most were, yap,jets and v-drives.iam not in any way trying to rag on the magazine,just think they should be spread the coverage.even the covers have the big ones.whats your thoughts?

Sleeper CP
09-28-2007, 06:35 PM
There's a Hot Boat magazine? :confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

GAWnCA
09-28-2007, 06:51 PM
There's a Hot Boat magazine? :confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
If you like reading about boats that are 30+ feet long and $250K price tags. :mad:

IMPATIENT 1
09-28-2007, 07:11 PM
the companies that make the 100k+ boats pay for most of the ads in the mag;) ya don't bite the hand that feeds.

GAWnCA
09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
If that's the case, maybe they should reduce the price of the subscriptions since they are only going to cover advertiser's products. Let them pick up the slack. I thought this would be like Hot Rod magazine, with a name like Hot Boats

diverjet
09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I can see your point about who pay's the most . Money talks an bull$hit walks! If the larger number be jet an drives and wackers then why does'nt the numbers stress the point . When they started it was the theme thats what is an hot boat .yes the big monsters are sweeeeeet but I love the way my little jet runs off and leaves 'm:devil: put the pedal to the floor and say byby:D

El Prosecutor
09-28-2007, 08:21 PM
the companies that make the 100k+ boats pay for most of the ads in the mag;) ya don't bite the hand that feeds. Wisdom there.;)

GAWnCA
09-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Wisdom there.;)
AND there are more Ads that articles! Hell they should pay us to take the mag. :mad: :devil:

QuickJet
09-28-2007, 09:47 PM
the companies that make the 100k+ boats pay for most of the ads in the mag;) ya don't bite the hand that feeds.
That "hand" is feeding them because they cater to the big boat crowd. If Hot Boat changed back to it roots with hands on tech articles and covered boats that we actually cared about, the advertisers would follow. Yes they would loose a percentage of the advertising they sell now, however they would pick up as much if not more from the new advertisers.

GAWnCA
09-28-2007, 10:07 PM
From what I see in those ads for BIG BOATS mostly just sales pitch advertisements. How many does anyone actually see out on the water. Now compare that to the number of small hot boats.

Cas
09-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Old school jets and v-drives probably make up about 1% (if that) of the boating world, very few boat companies build new ones and the consumers aren't buying many.
It's simple, there isn't anywhere near the money in it that people think especially based on the forums.
Old rigger and I were just talking about that this morning. If you think about it, the info you can get here and on other message boards is by far better than a printed magazine.

sleekvino
09-29-2007, 06:41 AM
the mag has droped off big time its not what it use to be, bottom line it sucks now!

slotracer
09-29-2007, 06:51 AM
i used to get the mag. but being it had so little to say about about boats now i just go to barnes and knoble and read it for free:D . my wife works at the mall so i just go read it while i wait for her to get off work.

stoker2001
09-29-2007, 07:04 AM
I am impressed that HB mag still covers our IHBA racing and my pisspot has made the mag a couple of times now:sleeping:
Just takes a little dedication to race and ihba offers classes for almost anybody:)

mouzer
09-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Thats to funny pat..i cancelled my subscription to hot boat years ago (rich mans buyers guide to ocean boats):jawdrop: and i go to barnes and nobles just to look at the reader rides and hot boat section in the mag.why the kids are shoppin.:D

flattie
09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Get a subscription to dragboat review:D

stoker2001
09-29-2007, 10:37 AM
They are to easy,my boreing azz has been in there to many times:D

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2007, 10:43 AM
i've got a good idea, how about i post a poll here and see how many peeps would actually pay for a subscription to a dragboat only style mag. they'd have to have the potential to sell at least 40-50k mags a month to make it worth their while to go to print with something like that.but for fun, let's poll it;)

GAWnCA
09-29-2007, 11:41 AM
i've got a good idea, how about i post a poll here and see how many peeps would actually pay for a subscription to a dragboat only style mag. they'd have to have the potential to sell at least 40-50k mags a month to make it worth their while to go to print with something like that.but for fun, let's poll it;)
Try it! ;)

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Try it! ;)
done, i bet it gets lost in the pages quik:rolleyes: i've always wondered if 2-3k people got together with ***boat and presubscribed, would they take it serious enough to start a mag dragboaters would buy.

GAWnCA
09-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Where did you hide it? :devil: :D

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Where did you hide it? :devil: :D
just jets, i don't think the mods would like me posting it on all the forums. that's why it won't do much other than be interesting to those of us who care;) there's a huge demand for it, but it'd take someone in the biz with alittle balls to make it ever happen.he'd be the redheaded stepchild in the company the 1st 2-3months of the mag, then president of the company when it took off,lol.

GAWnCA
09-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Add it to the "V" drive area too.

mouzer
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Get a subscription to dragboat review:D
Remember the old LIQUID QUARTER MILE mags...i have a stack!:(

H20MOFO
09-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I Agree With Cas And Others Who Have Said These Forums Are More Informative Than The Mag(especially Now) Cas How Did You Know Where I BoaT There Are 99 Roll Bar Boats To Every 1 "real" Boat. Haha.:

shaun
09-29-2007, 04:05 PM
The mag definitly inst what it was even a few years ago... but back then i think most of the interesting stuff i would look at were articles mike wrote and i think all that stuff was work he was doing on his own boat... I would like to see ***boat at least have more of a section for us small jet/vdrive guys. I'm tired of seeing all these boats with a toilet.. I have a toilet on all sides of me, wtf do i need one on my boat for... :D

steelcomp
09-29-2007, 05:23 PM
If you don't like what's on TV, don't complain about the program, change the channel. Better yet, turn it off.
Magazines are for profit only. They're going to print what makes them money. What vendors in our boating community can spend the kind of advertizing money that, say, Fountain can spend? Nordic? Laveycraft? Howard? Ultra? Eliminator? Advantage? DCB? Carrerra? Aftershock? HTM? Powerplay? (All big boat companies) How about mfgr's like LIghtning, IMCO, Mercury, Teague? Eddie? Rex?
See my point? All these companies are BIG boat related...and there's a bunch of them...and that's where the BIG money is. All our small boating masses and the companies that support them don't add up to squat, Unfortunately.
It dosen't take too many $250K boats to out-number a whole lot of $3K-$5K boats.
My thought is, if you don't like Hot Boat, don't read it. They did a feature on my boat a few years ago, and didn't even spell my name right. That was the last issue I ever bought. :rolleyes: I think what little attention they give to our boating level is patronizing at best.

Cas
09-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I Agree With Cas And Others Who Have Said These Forums Are More Informative Than The Mag(especially Now) Cas How Did You Know Where I BoaT There Are 99 Roll Bar Boats To Every 1 "real" Boat. Haha.:
Every so often this topic comes up starting about 6 years ago or so. A few of us looked into starting our own hot rod boat magazine at that time and the hurdles were quite large....mostly financial. Back then, a friend of mine was the CEO of a Northern CA publication who was willing and able to put something together for a carn good price.
The only problem was he needed a guarantee that 30,000 would sell :eek: of the first run. I wasn't about to guarantee but about 40 at the time :(
What was great about the old Hot Boats, late 70's early 80's, were the articles by the likes of Jack Sea, Jeff Bennett and Joe Mondello. Many of the people with these old jet boats have never even heard of them but they were "the guys". There was also a section called "On the Holding Rope" which was all about tips for beginning racers.
All it is now is a distant memory.

GAWnCA
09-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Yup and 98 of them Roll Bar Boats are for sale on Chraigslist or Ebay... They either sell their toys or loose their homes.

old rigger
09-30-2007, 07:41 AM
If you don't like what's on TV, don't complain about the program, change the channel. Better yet, turn it off.
Magazines are for profit only. They're going to print what makes them money. What vendors in our boating community can spend the kind of advertizing money that, say, Fountain can spend? Nordic? Laveycraft? Howard? Ultra? Eliminator? Advantage? DCB? Carrerra? Aftershock? HTM? Powerplay? (All big boat companies) How about mfgr's like LIghtning, IMCO, Mercury, Teague? Eddie? Rex?
See my point? All these companies are BIG boat related...and there's a bunch of them...and that's where the BIG money is. All our small boating masses and the companies that support them don't add up to squat, Unfortunately.
It dosen't take too many $250K boats to out-number a whole lot of $3K-$5K boats.
My thought is, if you don't like Hot Boat, don't read it. They did a feature on my boat a few years ago, and didn't even spell my name right. That was the last issue I ever bought. :rolleyes: I think what little attention they give to our boating level is patronizing at best.
"See my point? All these companies are BIG boat related"
Didn't matter when over half of those companies were SMALL boat related, the magazines always go where the money is. Back in the day when the cruisers started to hit the scene, there was just as much screaming and yelling about the price of boats inching towards 15 K. People liked being able to go to their favorite builder (insert whatever name you like) and plopping down their hard earned 7K and and getting an 18 foot custom built jet boat.
What's really funny is when the magazines, not many left now days, hand out their 'Awards' for best gel, best rigging, best interior and so on. THAT is based purely on dollars, like everything else and has very little, if anything, to the actual product. ;)
At one time I think there was a market for magazine geared for the type of boater found in this forum, but that window's shut long ago. What's the point of it? Every single day this forum, and others like it, offers more than a monthly magazine could ever offer. Better insight, better input from racers, better stories, better trial an error info, better how to's...the list in endless and it's instant. Lot's of bullsheet to weed through for sure, but we've all become, whether we know it or not, good editors and can in an instant know who's post's to avoid and who's to read. At least that's the way I do it. :)
The mags are dead ducks, they just don't know it yet.

cave
09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
So long as the new owners keep this forum going I could care less about the magazine. I've learned way more from Just Jet, V-drives and the Blower tech sections than all my previous issues of Drama Boat Magazine.
Publisher don't give a squat what previous readers wants are. Its money they don't want. So I wont buy a fictitiously named Mag IE Hot Boat. All it would take is a section for the boats that made the magazine what it was. All the Hi po boats have bad a$$ engines. So how about this in a section of its own. I forgot. 30' are the new 21ers.:D
There already is a drag boat mag out there. Drag Boat Review.
Lets hope that the new ownership will continue with these tech threads. Man If they do away with the sand bar can you imagine how many people will get there jobs done on time:D

Bottle Fed
09-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I've heard that the magazine got sold to another publisher recently. Who knows what might happen here soon. I know its really hard to find the mag on a rack here in san diego because it was published by larry flints company.

n8dawg
09-30-2007, 02:51 PM
the mag has droped off big time its not what it use to be, bottom line it sucks now!
agreed! But I still get it for thoughs few pages in the back that showcase jets & v-drives.
We should start our own mag!

Blown Income
09-30-2007, 05:03 PM
My issue with ***boat is that I ordered a subsciption in late may, early june because they said that my boat was going to be in the july issue. Here it is the end of sept, no magazine, no email, no call, but they sure as hell would take my money!!!!

jetboat
09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
they also was told by one editor that the boat my son and i restored was going into a "before and after",glad i didnt hold by breath!.seams they will say anything.i also go to the book store to read the last 4 or 5 pages.that about all theres there.thanks for all the input,how many 'hot boats" did show up for the summer photo shoot?or was it a flop?

SBC Jetboat
09-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Yea, I used to buy em and read em faithfully. Got a whole stack of them. I wouldnt waste my money on em any more. They pretty much suck these days. I used to love the just jets and readers rides. They stopped the just jets column once before and I emailed whats his name about it and gave him my opinion. Gee- Surprised I never got an answer??? I say screw that mag. I'll just use the forums.

steelcomp
09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
"See my point? All these companies are BIG boat related"
Didn't matter when over half of those companies were SMALL boat related, the magazines always go where the money is. Back in the day when the cruisers started to hit the scene, there was just as much screaming and yelling about the price of boats inching towards 15 K. People liked being able to go to their favorite builder (insert whatever name you like) and plopping down their hard earned 7K and and getting an 18 foot custom built jet boat.
What's really funny is when the magazines, not many left now days, hand out their 'Awards' for best gel, best rigging, best interior and so on. THAT is based purely on dollars, like everything else and has very little, if anything, to the actual product. ;)
At one time I think there was a market for magazine geared for the type of boater found in this forum, but that window's shut long ago. What's the point of it? Every single day this forum, and others like it, offers more than a monthly magazine could ever offer. Better insight, better input from racers, better stories, better trial an error info, better how to's...the list in endless and it's instant. Lot's of bullsheet to weed through for sure, but we've all become, whether we know it or not, good editors and can in an instant know who's post's to avoid and who's to read. At least that's the way I do it. :)
The mags are dead ducks, they just don't know it yet.
Agree 100%. Unfortunately, there aren't enough small boat companies that have come along to fill the void that these BIG companies have left as they've grown. Now that they have the big bucks, there's no one representing the small boating community that can (or is willing to) compete financially to support a new publication.
Times change.

02 Warhawk
10-01-2007, 04:18 AM
We have 100 + members and we only have 25 - 30 that get Hot Boat anymore just because we are all Hot Rod Hot Boats! not Off shore boats! like Power Boat Magazine! I guess we all have to switch to Drag boat review

SBC Jetboat
10-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Close down the forums and we'll have to build our own website. How about JustJets.biz
And its available.

Blown Income
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
they also was told by one editor that the boat my son and i restored was going into a "before and after",glad i didnt hold by breath!.seams they will say anything.i also go to the book store to read the last 4 or 5 pages.that about all theres there.thanks for all the input,how many 'hot boats" did show up for the summer photo shoot?or was it a flop?
Mine was shot early last summer, not this summers shoot and it did end up in the july issue. I was willing to buy a subscription just to have the one mag. Kinda ruined my day

GAWnCA
10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Just a thought to ponder. IF everyone had this attitude and boycotted the mag just because it wasn't always to his liking then do you think for one minute that the owner of this website would spend one dollar to keep it up and running? If the bitching gets too intense and the subscritions do go down enough then I see this place getting shut down with the owners hoping that an action such as that will bring back subscribers that used to read the mag instead of just taking advantage of a free website. If there are not enough subscriptions the advertisers will go elsewhere to promote their product.
Just consider the subscription price as half for the mag and half for the benefits the website brings. All this discontent instead of helpful critisizm is going to do more damage than good.
JMHO,
Rio
Simple solution - POOL our money and build our own web site. Domain name $8.00 a year, Web Hosting, GoDaddy, $50.00 a year, volunteers to set up and run the web site - PRICELESS! Now do you really think this is the only solution, Hot Boat, for a forum in the WORLD WIDE WEB. Yo can even run PHP on GoDaddy as they are all set up for Pearl programming. I don't think $15.00 X however may subscribers is reasonable
I might take a while to get things rolling but it's no big deal.
As for boycotting a magazine... Hell if it's not covering the topics you expect, do you keep paying for it even though you never crack the cover. I don't call that boycotting when it something you can't use. IF they don't listen to those who are subscribing and only listen to the advertisers, then all they are interested in is the advertising dollar and not the reader, who, without there would be no need for a magazine. DAMN sounds just like those jerks in Washington D.C.

Cas
10-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Close down the forums and we'll have to build our own website. How about JustJets.biz
And its available.
there's already Just Jet Boats (http://www.justjetboats.com/forum/index.php) in place.
There's also 10 others, that I know of, that are Jet Boat related and I'm sure there are more.

jetboat
10-02-2007, 04:04 AM
who owns this web suite if not larry flint?the other item abut this suite is how the tech.questions are answered,even with pics!.finally when parts are for sale or needed,they cross the highways some times before payment,and the trust and your word systenm gos out.havent been burned once on items bought.the magazine cant do that!

GAWnCA
10-02-2007, 04:27 AM
who owns this web suite if not larry flint?the other item abut this suite is how the tech.questions are answered,even with pics!.finally when parts are for sale or needed,they cross the highways some times before payment,and the trust and your word systenm gos out.havent been burned once on items bought.the magazine cant do that!
Nor will any of these big companies do business that way.

v-drive
10-02-2007, 04:32 AM
This isn't funny. I just signed up july directly through them and had to end up asking for my first issue. so 3 weeks into September I get my October. it's the 2nd of october so should I start writing for my November issue?v-drive

moneysucker
10-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. As I recal this website is paid for by Hot Boat Magazine so in effect themagazine does do a lot for us small boaters. Possibly now because LFP no longer owns the publication Wal Mart and other retailers who previously would not cary the magazine because of moral reasons will now carry it and widen the intrest in the hoby we all love. Insurance is another major reason that jets and v drives are a dying breed. I had an oportunity to purchase molds and had to decline due to the fact that you simply cannot sell a complete boat without opening up to all sorts of liability and rigging and parts mark up is where a lot of the proffit is in these boats. Without insurance, these boats cannot be financed and not too many people have the cash to buy a boat in a lump sum. I appreciate the magazine. It has come a long way recently by adding the bck section. Count yourself lucky. I do not have the time to read a whole lot anymore since I am not flying as much so when my mag shows up, I read jet tech, read the back few pages and throw it on the table or hold on to it if someone I knows boat is in there so I can give it to them. Boycot the magazine. I bet they will miss your 5 subscriptions. Winter is coming and you will appreciate it while inside from shoveling snow. Have a great day.
CY

H20MOFO
10-02-2007, 06:35 PM
When I Posted A Thread A Week Or So Ago(where's The Jet Tech Section) I Mentioned. I Wanted To Thank Who Ever Was Responsible For The Whole Forum Deal. I Wondered If It Was Hot Boat Mag Or Not Sounds Like It Is?