PDA

View Full Version : My 1976 Spectra (re)build

riverbound
09-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Well I bought this boat 6 years ago. and started restoring it. Ended up selling it 2 years ago. Just got it back a week ago.
When I owned it the first time I had the boat re-gel coated. and after 3 different motors got all that figured out. also had the pump completely rebuilt.
the list of remaining projects are as follows.
Get Name re-painted on Back= the last owner tried to remove the name off the back of the boat and didnt get very far, so I need to get in touch with who originaly painted the name and have it fixed/redone.
New interior= The interior was about a year old when I bought the boat the first time, I was never a fan of the Green, and always wanted to get rid of it. and have always disliked the front seats, they offer no side support and jsut dont feel very supportive in general. One of the new problems with the interior is the fact that the passenger seat base is rotted and broken now, so that needs to be reapired ASAP.
Tanks= The boat still has the original Fiberglass tanks, they dont leak (yet). bur it is only a matter of time before they start. Plus being they are glass tanks thwy have no provisions for s fuel level sending unit. so Gas level is always a guessing game.
Stereo= It had a pretty decent stereo in it when I sold it, that has since been hastily removed. so going back to the drawingboard and redoing the system.
Engine compartment= The Engine compartment needs some love so it can be something to be proud of. the battery boxes are circa 1970's Ghetto. the Engine needs to be removed, repainted (probably Orange this time) and all aluminum parts polished or Bright cermic coated (so I dont always have to polish). Still up in the air in what I want to do as far as exhaust goes. I wanted to a nice set of lightning thru hull headers, but also might want to keep with the classic look of logs.
Rigging= The boat has 30 years of adding wires and hoses etc.. to the original harness. I want to redo all the wiring and re rig the entire boat with updated wiring and standards to increase the safety and looks of the boat.
since I have just got the boat back, I have not even begun any of these projects yet. So I will start off with pics I have of the starting point and then as I do/complete projects, I will update this post with pics and what I did.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/Picture014_edited-1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/681Picture_313-med.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/IMG016.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/IMG014.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/IMG005.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/River008.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/Riverbound/IMG003.jpg

BobbyB
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
right on riverbound, you got her back. There is a guy over here in the South Bay that does good letters and pinstriping, I'm sure he can trace/ refresh whatever lettering you have going there. Lemme know if you want his number, I can look it up. As far as seats go, I had mine redone this year. I know the guy, and he has done a few seats since. He is the same guy that re-wired and did some rerigging on it for me as well as putting the new IMCO tanks in as my glass ones took a shiat finally (he runs a hot rod/ fabricating shop in the LBC). I can get his number for you as well. As far as interior shops go, I went to Martinez Marine in Norco. Good work, and great price. Good luck, I always did like that orange.

riverbound
09-30-2007, 03:19 PM
right on riverbound, you got her back. There is a guy over here in the South Bay that does good letters and pinstriping, I'm sure he can trace/ refresh whatever lettering you have going there. Lemme know if you want his number, I can look it up. As far as seats go, I had mine redone this year. I know the guy, and he has done a few seats since. He is the same guy that re-wired and did some rerigging on it for me as well as putting the new IMCO tanks in as my glass ones took a shiat finally (he runs a hot rod/ fabricating shop in the LBC). I can get his number for you as well. As far as interior shops go, I went to Martinez Marine in Norco. Good work, and great price. Good luck, I always did like that orange.
Thanks,
I will keep this in mind, I plan on doing most of the work myself along with help form friends. I have a couple friends tha tknow a thing or two about building boats and such. so Im gonna try that first. But if I get in a pinch I will definitely be hitting you up for those numbers.

BobbyB
09-30-2007, 05:36 PM
That's what this was as well. I did a few things, and then I took it to my friend's shop. He used to rig boats and whatnot, so he worked out a few of the odds and ins. I was reluctant to try doing the wiring, so he hooked that up. As far as the seats go, he went to town on them. I built a hatch (or should I say rebuilt after it blew off), and was going to try my hand at a rear bench. I got to talking to him, and he gave it a shot. There is no way in hell that my woodwork would've been as nice. I am real happy with the results, and that's what counts. Good luck on the resto, and be sure to post progress pics.

boatnam2
09-30-2007, 09:15 PM
That's what this was as well. I did a few things, and then I took it to my friend's shop. He used to rig boats and whatnot, so he worked out a few of the odds and ins. I was reluctant to try doing the wiring, so he hooked that up. As far as the seats go, he went to town on them. I built a hatch (or should I say rebuilt after it blew off), and was going to try my hand at a rear bench. I got to talking to him, and he gave it a shot. There is no way in hell that my woodwork would've been as nice. I am real happy with the results, and that's what counts. Good luck on the resto, and be sure to post progress pics.
good thing about your interior bobbyb is that shit is going to last forever....you would have to get it wet to start showing some wear...

rivergoer
10-01-2007, 06:37 PM
nice raft homo...........................

BarryMac
10-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Love this boat, just curious, have you considered removing the bow rail? It looks very Boston Whalerish to me, just my opinion of course, I just really like the clean look of the boat without the rail. BTW, glad that you got her back, I remember when you had her for sale, you mentioned how tough it was going to be to let her go, she's back where she belongs... :)

ol guy
11-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Long time fan of the Spectra. What a great boat. Just curious, were are in H.B. I was raised in H.B. and graduated H.B.H.S. backin the stone age. And yeah lose the green. Mark

riverbound
11-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Love this boat, just curious, have you considered removing the bow rail? It looks very Boston Whalerish to me, just my opinion of course, I just really like the clean look of the boat without the rail. BTW, glad that you got her back, I remember when you had her for sale, you mentioned how tough it was going to be to let her go, she's back where she belongs... :)
I have seen quite a few 18s without the Bowrail, Im not a big fan of the way they look. the bow is too short and not proprtionate to the rest fo the boat in my opinion. I will be keeping the bow rail on.