PDA

View Full Version : Water over transom??

killer beazz
07-22-2002, 02:20 PM
I have a '67 Carlson Challenger Tunnel hull that I have been restoring for the last year.It came to me with a '67 Chrysler 105 hp Outboard,recently I purchased a '77 Merc.150 hp motor because the Chrysler wasn't fast enough.Since changing motors,on the first test run,water sprays over the transom appearing to be from the motor,massive amounts of water,Any suggestions? Should I try a jackplate to raise the motor higher on the transom? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HavasuDreamin'
07-23-2002, 05:54 AM
I see you are from Bloomington........I am just up the way here in the big city. Anyway, so what you are saying is that when running normal speeds, water is coming in over the back? Something is not right. I could understand it if it were coming in when you came down off plane, but not while cruising around. Where exactly does the water come in at? From the side rear portion of the transom or in the center near the motor?
I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I bet that boat could use a jack plate which will also set the motor back a little as well which won't hurt. Just make sure you have a nose cone and low water pick-up so that you don't run it out of water. Another piece you may want to try is a splash guard. Not sure where to find one, but the jet boaters will know. Good Luck, and if you are ever up this way, let me know. I am on Morse frequently.

killer beazz
07-23-2002, 08:13 AM
thanks for the input, after looking at this closer,I realized the cavitation plate is about 3" lower than the bottom of the boat,So I'd have to agree with the jackplate.Any ideas on where to get one close by? We're usually at Lake Lemon almost every weekend. Ever around Bloomington?

HavasuDreamin'
07-23-2002, 08:36 AM
killer beazz:
thanks for the input, after looking at this closer,I realized the cavitation plate is about 3" lower than the bottom of the boat,So I'd have to agree with the jackplate.Any ideas on where to get one close by? We're usually at Lake Lemon almost every weekend. Ever around Bloomington?I would highly recommend a CMC jack plate (Cook Manufacturing Corp). You can get a manual plate for not to much $$$$. I don't know where they are located nor do I have their phone # :(
I run one of their hydraulic plates and it works great.
No, I don't go down to Bloomington very much. Lake Monroe intrigues me, but I think it is too big for my boat. What is the story with Lake Lemon? Is it rough, smooth, something in between? How big? Any beaches? Sand or mud? Any camping around? Thanks.
[ July 23, 2002, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

killer beazz
07-23-2002, 11:15 AM
I really enjoy lake lemon it is just the right size for my little boat normaly it is pretty calm not to much chop occcasionally gets a little rough but never too bad.I don't care for Monroe it's a little too busy for me.Yes they do have one beach with sand with a boat mooring area,and camping on the north shore. The people are friendly and helpful,really down to earth, my kinda people.Hope to see ya' down soon. You won't be able to miss me,I'm pretty sure no one else has a lime green Challenger,not around here anyways.See ya soon

snappertapper
07-23-2002, 04:41 PM
the water over the transom is caused by one of two things, first off the motor maybe too low on the transom, or if you have a jackplate you may need a spray board. But most likely the motor is too low try raising it a bolt hole or two
z-man

killer beazz
07-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks fore the help i ve orderd an 8inch jack plate from bobs machine shop i cant wait to install and go play

snappertapper
07-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Does this boat have a tunnel or pocket in the bottom? If so you may need to install a spray board too!!

killer beazz
07-29-2002, 06:09 AM
this little boat is a tunel hall

snappertapper
07-29-2002, 07:14 AM
it should be ok then

killer beazz
07-30-2002, 01:18 PM
well ive installed the new jack plate and the problem is eliminated but i am still not gitting the spead i wase looking fore. 40mph tops my next step is to ad stanles prop this old moter still hase the original 13/17 alumanim prop frum the previous boat witch by the way that boat waid about 2500lbs and it ran 40 mph my boat only ways 750 lbs un riged wats the deal??????????

snappertapper
07-30-2002, 01:43 PM
bUY A NEW MOTOR!

snappertapper
07-30-2002, 08:23 PM
sorry about that i did not relize you had the 150 on the boat, i have heard these are good engines!! good luck

bulldogdad
08-11-2002, 12:03 PM
glad to hear you solved you're backwash problem. An old freind had an old glaspar that did the same thing till he raised his motor!Now for your speed,is that the old inline 6 that merc made?have seen 2 of these motors throw spark plugs out of them,i was very young and maybe my dad's freind were drunk and didn't tighten the plugs up,lmao,but seems that you should be getting alot more speed than that. check you're compression,might have low compression.it's good to see some old boats getting restored.hope you have luck with your project :cool: