PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes

Schiada76
10-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I just found a cats head on my front lawn.:eek:
Anyone know how to get rid of Coyotes?
We live in the SFV, not in the hills and I'm sure animal control won't do chit to help.
No, I can't shoot them either.:D

gramps
10-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Are you sure the problem is coyotes? If you cant shoot 'em get someone that traps them. Why won't animal control help?

Schiada76
10-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Well unless someones dog is roaming around eating cats it's a Coyote.The head was gnawed on and just the face was left.:eek:
Animal control here in LA is a complete joke, they don't do jack chit.:mad:

Cigalert
10-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Dig a tiger pit and cover it with sod.

2Driver
10-01-2007, 07:03 AM
They are ridding the neighborhood of cats. I say let them be. :D

LeE ss13
10-01-2007, 07:17 AM
We used to get them. We got a large Rottweiler. No more coyotes.

centerhill condor
10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
ar-15 and a strong spot light...
You can put out some fat or other stuff you don't want to eat...do it at the same time/place every day and in two weeks they'll be waitin' for you.
then the ar-15 or a 20 ga.
CC

Sleek-Jet
10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
A pair of roller skates, a rocket pack, and some aviator goggles (all from ACME of course)... :D
A cliff helps also, but a good ramp will do in a pinch. :idea:

Schiada76
10-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Well no they weren't here long before me. I'm in a residential track that is fifty years old. The hippies here in Cali forced animal control and the state to stop hunting them now they eat small pets and stalk children. I don't think they've eaten a kid yet but they will sooner or later.
I'm looking for some type of repellent to keep them out of the back yard as we have a small dog. I'd much prefer to just shoot them.:D

LhcBrad
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Get some Dog Urine from the owners of the Rotts and pour it around the yard. The coyotes can smell it and stay away. Ive been told any large dog's urine will work must be a large dog though.

Baja Big Dog
10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Try a big hava-a heart trap, but you will have to buy it, not cheap, and coyotes are real hard to cheat.
A couple of big green trash bags from Smart and Final, wrapped around hte exhaust of your car, and viola....sleepy coyote!!!
So Ive been told!!!

superdave013
10-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Well no they weren't here long before me. I'm in a residential track that is fifty years old. The hippies here in Cali forced animal control and the state to stop hunting them now they eat small pets and stalk children. I don't think they've eaten a kid yet but they will sooner or later.
I'm looking for some type of repellent to keep them out of the back yard as we have a small dog. I'd much prefer to just shoot them.:D
uhhhh, I think coyotes have been in So Cal just a tad longer then 50 years. lol
Maybe you should up grade to a large dog. :idea:

DeltaSigBoater
10-01-2007, 10:27 AM
A pair of roller skates, a rocket pack, and some aviator goggles (all from ACME of course)... :D
A cliff helps also, but a good ramp will do in a pinch. :idea:
Don’t for get the anvil :D

Schiada76
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
uhhhh, I think coyotes have been in So Cal just a tad longer then 50 years. lol
Maybe you should up grade to a large dog. :idea:
Maybe.:idea: They are not a native specie though.:D
May need the large dog upgrade.
Animal control said to shoot them with a paintball gun.:D

Sleek-Jet
10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Don’t for get the anvil :D
I'm glad someone picked up on that, I was beginning to worry... :idea:

2Driver
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Get some Dog Urine from the owners of the Rotts and pour it around the yard. The coyotes can smell it and stay away. Ive been told any large dog's urine will work must be a large dog though.
and just how do you go about collecting this sample you speak of? :D

LaveyJet
10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
try this
http://www.eabco.com/images/97d22302.gif

ULTRA26 # 1
10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
May need the large dog upgrade.
Animal control said to shoot them with a paintball gun.:D
Schiada,
Go online and search for predator urine. I have read that this will help to keep them away from your property. We have these suckers all over the place here in OC. Damn those hippies. :D
Or a trap. If you trap one Animal Control will take it off your hands.

Old Texan
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm glad someone picked up on that, I was beginning to worry... :idea:
Beep-Beep :D

2Driver
10-01-2007, 10:55 AM
IMO Dog piss won't do a thing. The turf is already "claimed by them", that's why they are in there eating the small pets. Other Dog urine will just make them show up and piss on everything that much more to restate claimed turf. (ie pissing contest)

Cigalert
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Buy a dragon.

hkunz
10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
At your local large animal vet/ranch store (which may not be real local to SFV, but maybe you could go to Bakersfield or Lancaster) pick up some coyote bait (don't get it on you unless you don't have any social engagements anyway and dislike people near you:eek: ) and a trap. Put the stinky bait on the trap, after being sure to pound the anchor in securely, then just keep kids away and wait. Pretty soon, you'll have your very own coyote, but he won't be happy. Take a sledge and hit it in the forehead or back of the neck to calm it down, bag it up and bury it in the garden, unless there is a bounty, then take it to the bounty collection site. Bounties are usually paid by the local cattlemen's or sheep herder's associations.
I used to make a litle side money when I was younger.

Old Texan
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Coyotes are too smart for most traps. The big dog Urine works pretty good. I was talking to a customer near the Houston ship Channel and they have a couple warehouses the Coyotes keep getting in and pilfering anything edible that's been left around. They've been trying just about everything but have been failing at trapping the varmints. They can't use fireamrs due to the close proximity to surrounding refineries.
Coyotes are on the increase across the nation. They unlike many animals are very adaptable and man has everything they require. The over poupulation of coyotes has reeked havoc on rabbits, ground nesting birds, and other small wild animals. They now find cats and small domestic pets easy pickings. They've about decimated the tame duck population at one of the local golf courses. If left unchecked urban areas will be overcome with coyotes and raccoons.
If you want to get rid of them for good buy a Great Pyrenes. A local rancher raises goats and had a bad coyote problem. Got a Great Pyrenes, found 2 dead coyotes the first week and been varmint free for the last 5 years. The breed comes from France and is bred to live with the sheep and protect them against wolves. The look just like St Bernards only all white. The sheep owners just come by and fill their "food bucket" and the big dog takes it with him as he follows the herd. I've read the sheep raisers in the mountain states use them also.

Schiada76
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
At your local large animal vet/ranch store (which may not be real local to SFV, but maybe you could go to Bakersfield or Lancaster) pick up some coyote bait (don't get it on you unless you don't have any social engagements anyway and dislike people near you:eek: ) and a trap. Put the stinky bait on the trap, after being sure to pound the anchor in securely, then just keep kids away and wait. Pretty soon, you'll have your very own coyote, but he won't be happy. Take a sledge and hit it in the forehead or back of the neck to calm it down, bag it up and bury it in the garden, unless there is a bounty, then take it to the bounty collection site. Bounties are usually paid by the local cattlemen's or sheep herder's associations.
I used to make a litle side money when I was younger.
Oh Yeah! This is the ticket right here!:D
I might have to put on the camos, get a wounded bunny call, freeze some paintballs and wait up all night.
You might see me on the news.:D :D

superdave013
10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
haha, I was talking about the coyotes that look like dogs. Not the 46 year old women that moved here from Ohio.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Buy a dragon.
LMAO

Pepperkornski
10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I just found a cats head on my front lawn.:eek:
Anyone know how to get rid of Coyotes?
We live in the SFV, not in the hills and I'm sure animal control won't do chit to help.
No, I can't shoot them either.:D
You can find what you need on Ebay, from books to lures and of course the Victor steel jaw traps.
http://search.ebay.com/coyote-trap_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsb rsrtZd