PDA

View Full Version : Who is watching The War on PBS?

Jyruiz
10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
It is really good and not only worth watching, but worth buying. It is a seven episode series totalling 15 hours. There is one episode left to air, but they are repeating the previous episodes, I strongly recommended.

YeLLowBoaT
10-01-2007, 07:49 AM
I've not watched it, but I have it on the DVR

mondorally
10-01-2007, 07:50 AM
I've DVR'd them all. Only half way through the first episode but very interesting. Definately worth buying!

boatsnblondes
10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
My dad, who was a history teacher for 33 years, is addicted to it, as am I....best series of WW2 material I've seen in a long time..but the footage of the bombers going down over Germany always brings tears to my eyes...bravest men we ever produced fought and died in that war...

Stoneman
10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
I've been watching and have it dvr'd. Pretty good so far.

purrfecttremor
10-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I watched as much as I could yesterday and I did enjoy it and my dad who served in the war was thrilled that so many people are still interested.:)

Jyruiz
10-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I watched as much as I could yesterday and I did enjoy it and my dad who served in the war was thrilled that so many people are still interested.:)
Give your dad a big hug and a thank you for me.

DogMan
10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Watched about 4 hours yesterday...had me captivated:)

Keith E. Sayre
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I couldn't swhut it off, then I watched a good portion of it again and couldn't
shut it off. Outstanding. Those men were extremely brave and did so knowing that they were going to get killed and went anyway so that we could
live a better life.
I wonder if they can see us today, what are their thoughts about our country
and our people?
Keith Sayre

LaveyJet
10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
It's a great series Ken Burns does a superb job. My favorite quote is this prayer.
"Oh God, please stop this. Come yourself, don't send Jesus. This ain't no place for children"
~ a cook praying at Anzio

Trailer Park Casanova
10-01-2007, 01:26 PM
It is really good and not only worth watching, but worth buying. It is a seven episode series totalling 15 hours. There is one episode left to air, but they are repeating the previous episodes, I strongly recommended.
http://www.pbs.org/modules/tvschedules/includes/programinfopopup.html?title_id=61418&display_feed=700&display_format=list_airdates&feeds=700&station=KCET&zipcode=93065&transport=&provider=&channelsuppress=f&supersite=&program_title=The%20War
I believe their are several episodes left if I read the schedule right.. It runs until Wed, then re-peats.
I've been watching it with my dad, a WW2 vet.
My wife gave me the news this morning to expect his prostate cancer to take his life in about 3 years.
My dad flew bombing missions over Europe.
He never talked about it. But then, just a few years back he suddenly opened up about it when I invited him to take a B17 ride at Alameda Air Station.
Thousands of posts ago I mentioned it on Veterans day.
His crew was shot down after bombing the Ploesti oil fields. They were held captive by the Russians.
Brutal, bloody horrible accounts of the ordeal, of how the Russians treated & murdered the Romanian citizens they conquered, with my dads crew held as captive slaves.
So, now,, armed with the news,, I'll spend as much time with him as possible.
One hell of a guy, not an enemy in the world.
He's helped make the world a better place.

Jyruiz
10-01-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.pbs.org/modules/tvschedules/includes/programinfopopup.html?title_id=61418&display_feed=700&display_format=list_airdates&feeds=700&station=KCET&zipcode=93065&transport=&provider=&channelsuppress=f&supersite=&program_title=The%20War
Their are two episodes left if I read the schedule right.. It runs until Wed, then re-peats.
I've been watching it with my dad, a WW2 vet.
My wife gave me the news this morning to expect his prostate cancer to take his life in about 3 years.
My dad flew bombing missions over Europe.
He never talked about it. But then, just a few years back he suddenly opened up about it when I invited him to take a B17 ride at Alameda Air Station.
Thousands of posts ago I wrote about it on Veterans day.
His crew was shot down after bombing the Ploesti oil fields. They were held captive by the Russians.
Brutal, bloody horrible accounts of the ordeal, of how the Russians treated & murdered the Romanian citizens they conquered, with my dads crew held as captive slaves.
So, now,, armed with the news,, I'll spend as much time with him as possible.
One hell of a guy, not an enemy in the world.
He's helped make the world a better place.
Sorry to hear about your dads illness, and yes, the world is a better place because of him and all of our Vets. Thank God for our past and future Vets.

purrfecttremor
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Couldnt have said it better myself Juan.Thank your dad for all of us TPC

MBlaster
10-01-2007, 02:26 PM
This link is to my 82 year old uncles website. He is committed to producing documentarys. He takes young high school history teachers to europe and gives them a first hand history lesson. He has many contacts overseas that he developed since WW2. For instance he was telling me about this french guy who is dedicated to finding obscure american military aircraft crash sites. He does the research, contacts the american familys, and flys them to visit the site where their loved one perished.
Check out my uncles site, he's a helluva guy.
http://www.letfreedomringforall.org/