PDA

View Full Version : HTM mechanical malfuncion thows....

Danhercules
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
three out of boat on Elsinore.
Hope this dose not push the speed limit deal though
LAKE ELSINORE
Three thrown into lake during boat mishap
A speedboat accident on Lake Elsinore that sent three people to the hospital Thursday was the result of an apparent mechanical malfunction, a police news release said.
The High Torque Marine tunnel-hull boat was driving fast on the west side of the lake's high-speed zone when it began turning to the right, the news release said. The driver, a 53-year-old Corona man, tried to slow the boat but was unable to do so. The boat turned abruptly and stopped, catapulting the driver and two passengers into the lake.
A passing boat pulled the driver, a 48-year-old woman and an 11-year-old girl from the water.
Lt. Dave Fontneau said not much traffic was on the lake at the time of the accident and the boat did not appear to have struck any other boats or objects.
Police ask that anyone who witnessed the crash call the Lake Elsinore Police Department at 951-245-3300.
--Sarah Burge
sburge@PE.com

DCBDaytona
10-01-2007, 08:12 AM
F'in A. When will HTM drivers learn? :mad:

WTMFA
10-01-2007, 08:23 AM
F'in A. When will HTM drivers learn? :mad:
Learn what?:confused:

USCFAN
10-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Hope everyone is ok. This will be highly entertaining..

HotRod82
10-01-2007, 08:27 AM
This kinda reinforces my theory of not going fast with kids in the boat. Yeah I know a 26 ft DCB (or any major brand) is safe at 75, but when something goes wrong or you hit something submerged (happened to me) this is what happens. Glad no one was killed.

DCBDaytona
10-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Learn what?:confused:
Nothing, nothing at all. I forgot, it's always "Mechanical Failure."

WTMFA
10-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Just out of curiosity is that dcb in your avatar yours? Is it a 2000 mach26. Does it have a honda geny under the hatch with the exhaust plumbed out next to the bilge pump holes. Are only the tops of of the engine cowlings painted white?
And last, did you buy the boat used?
Just curious.

WTMFA
10-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Never mind I just read you profile. Not the boat I thought it was.

Baja Big Dog
10-01-2007, 09:47 AM
That lake needs more reeds....:D

BoatFloating
10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Never mind I just read you profile. Not the boat I thought it was.
You are thinking of mbrown's old boat.

Nord
10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Well in the event of a accident...........It is "always" something whether it is a HTM, DCB, Bayliner.........etc.......

sleekcrafter
10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Believe it or not, it can happen to anyone, in any type boat. Boat performance has been pushed past the safe for everyone boating. Driver experience is only part of the factor, as well as mechanical/maintaince, water conditions, and other boat traffic. A rode hard, put away wet, boat will likely have an unexpected failure, an unexperienced driver may lose control, harsh conditions may cause all three of the above to happen at once. Everyone needs to consider all the factors, that lead to these accidents, as it could well happen to you.

Nord
10-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Believe it or not, it can happen to anyone, in any type boat. Boat performance has been pushed past the safe for everyone boating. Driver experience is only part of the factor, as well as mechanical/maintaince, water conditions, and other boat traffic. A rode hard, put away wet, boat will likely have an unexpected failure, an unexperienced driver may lose control, harsh conditions may cause all three of the above to happen at once. Everyone needs to consider all the factors, that lead to these accidents, as it could well happen to you.
good post.

XtrmWakeborder
10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Logic tells me almost all HTM owners are horrible drivers, or the boats are unsafe. hmm......:confused: Give it up, the boats are not very user friendly. There are a ton more daytonas and other cats then there are HTMs and the accidents per number of boats has too be higher with HTMs. I hardly ever hear of any accidents with the other boats, but very often with HTMs. It just reinforces the fact that my butt will never be in one of those seats.

BoatPI
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
The only one true way to tell if mechanical failure is to blame is to obtain the services of a qualified marine surveryer.
www.boatman.com

mxbundy
10-01-2007, 12:30 PM
The only one true way to tell if mechanical failure is to blame is to obtain the services of a qualified marine surveyor.
www.boatman.com
Maybe no need call in an expert if the problem is easily spotted with the naked eye.
A friends boat threw the power steering belt and the boat made a violent right hand turn and we were only going 25 or so, had we been going faster I am sure I would have ended up in the drink. Along with everyone else in the boat!

MKEELINE
10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
The only one true way to tell if mechanical failure is to blame is to obtain the services of a qualified marine surveryer.
www.boatman.com
But it's so much easier to just pole vault to conclusions.:D

Nord
10-01-2007, 02:22 PM
xtrmwakeboarder, thats about a stupid comment as i've ever read, HTM drivers are horrible !!, ever seen they assholes who drive wakeboard boats!!! with your avatar i'm gonna go out on a limb and think your one of those a-hole wakeboard boat owners, you sir are my biggest nightmare when out boating !!!
That and brain eating amoebas..........

Hardly Satisfied
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow, very sad to hear

XtrmWakeborder
10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
xtrmwakeboarder, thats about a stupid comment as i've ever read, HTM drivers are horrible !!, ever seen they assholes who drive wakeboard boats!!! with your avatar i'm gonna go out on a limb and think your one of those a-hole wakeboard boat owners, you sir are my biggest nightmare when out boating !!!
Why don't you re-read the post and take a closer look at the avatar:rolleyes:

98 Vector 21
10-01-2007, 02:45 PM
:idea:

WTMFA
10-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Just to put everywons mind at ease. I PROMISE I will only drive my htm on lake havasu when there is nothing but fish in the water. Maybe I should purchase my own lake and lobby for laws that require all htm owners only operate their boats on my lake and no other. Yes, this will be my goal in life. I feel at peace inside now that I know my life has a purpose!:messedup: :wink: :D

WTMFA
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM
You are thinking of mbrown's old boat.
I was thinking it might be Randy N's boat. I knew the boat real well. Spent more time on it than my own. Awsome boat up untill it delaminated and my buddys ins co totalled it.:(

Sleeper CP
10-01-2007, 03:41 PM
That lake needs more reeds....:D
That would be helpful. I bet that scared the hell out of that 11 yr. old Wow:(
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

LAVEYSABRE575
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Any pics of the HTM involved in the accident....DP

LAVEYSABRE575
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Any pics of the HTM involved in the accident....DP

BoatFloating
10-02-2007, 10:52 AM
I was thinking it might be Randy N's boat. I knew the boat real well. Spent more time on it than my own. Awsome boat up untill it delaminated and my buddys ins co totalled it.:(
You are saying a 26' DCB with outboards delaminated?

WTMFA
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
You are saying a 26' DCB with outboards delaminated?
Yeah, I didn't belive it myself at first. I belive the boat was a 2000 mach 26.
All white, checker seats, checker hatch, top cowlings he had painted white. Super clean boat. I "HEARD" the boat might have gotten fixed and resold after the ins paid him off.
Don't want to say or speculate to much more than that.

Racey
10-02-2007, 02:45 PM
1. Don't go hauling ass with any kids in the boat
2. If you are trying to push the envelope wear a quality life vest
3. HTM's are 'scary' handling boats, This is a quote straight from the mouths of more than one big name hi-performance engine/boat builders that I know very closely and I'm certain many on the boards would know them as well.
4. All the marine surveyors i have met are incompetent fools, and don't have the first clue about hi-perf boats.
5. Don't hop in a boat with a driver you don't know, especially if it's capable of higher speeds.
These are just my opinions based on lessons learned and testimony from trusted collegues, for those who disagree flame away. :D

prosthogod
10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Another HTM bashing thread. It gets old. Yah it does feel light at speed, but so does my VIPER. If you can't drive a high performance machine, WATCH FROM THE SIDELINES. Go buy a car with traction control and a computer to limit your right foot. I only drive my HTM at speed with passengers WHEN THE CONDITIONS PERMIT. I'M OUT!

Jordy
10-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Another HTM bashing thread. It gets old.
I think you should get a Kachina next!!! :D :D :D

mike37
10-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I didn't think HTMs could make a hi speed turn like that and not roll over:idea: