PDA

View Full Version : Friend Keeps Boat in Water

burtandnancy2
10-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Have a friend who keeps one of his boats in the water at Katherine's, and says the muscles are winning the war. Anyone else notice this?...

Trailer Park Casanova
10-01-2007, 02:07 PM
According to the Aggies at the Vidal checkpoint, they see it all the time.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Hope he doesn't have IMCO external steering.....

Sherpa
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
first thing I thought...........dang, got beat to it...
--Sherpa

MBlaster
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Between the muscles and the brain eating amoebas there will be no more boating in 20 years.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Ya gotta pull them out from several times during the season or the hulls will become visibly fouled like the fish and game boats.

Ziggy
10-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Them mussels got some muscles and will win the war easy.

hkunz
10-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Either paint the bottom with anti-fouling paint, or get it dry. Since the anti-fouling paint, last I checked, was both expensive and ugly, drying the boat out is really the only way.

DILLIGAF
10-02-2007, 08:31 AM
:)
I will have an update on my situation soon.
Have a friend who keeps one of his boats in the water at Katherine's, and says the muscles are winning the war. Anyone else notice this?...
I keep my boat in the water for 3 days or so at a time. I completely clean and drain the boat when I take it out. I haven't seen anything up to this point.

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 08:50 AM
It takes several weeks for the muscles to become visible on the hull and running gear.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I will have an update on my situation soon.
Good deal. We've got the IMCO steering as well. We don't leave our boat in the water overnight, but still, the steering is made for a boat and the answers you have received from IMCO regarding your issue are pure idiocy!

Ziggy
10-02-2007, 09:47 AM
It takes several weeks for the muscles to become visible on the hull and running gear.
After the poker run in April someone posted they had them after the boat was in water for 3 days........he was stopped/checked/cleaned at the Needles Ag checkpoint.

dirty old man
10-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I've seen it grow on drives/props. Antifoul paint won't do those any good on those. What about the water pick-ups? If it gets in there, you're screwed. Heard some houseboats are seriously damaged

gramps
10-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I keep my boat in the water for 3 days or so at a time. I completely clean and drain the boat when I take it out. I haven't seen anything up to this point.
If the boat is out of the water for 5 days the little bastards "should" be dead........................

dirty old man
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
but do the dead ones hang on or drop off?

LhcBrad
10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Will salt water kill them?

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
but do the dead ones hang on or drop off?
The dead ones hang on, but eventually fall off.
Will salt water kill them?
No!

DILLIGAF
10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
No!
If salt water does not kill them will they be taking over the Pacific Ocean? That would be the natrual assumption....
WTF! Killer mussels.............and shit

burtandnancy2
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I guess we're DOOMED. Brain eating omebas, and boat eating muscles. Whats next, will they be banning pasties on the river?

LhcBrad
10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Yep Doomed!! We all know everything you read on the internet is true.
Especially here on HB. And whats this Amoeba thing? Are there any threads about this? I had to throw that in here.

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
If salt water does not kill them will they be taking over the Pacific Ocean? That would be the natrual assumption....
WTF! Killer mussels.............and shit
Quagga mussels are usually found in fresh water in salinities up to 1%; they can reproduce in salinities below 2-3%, and are killed by salinities exceeding 6%. North American comparisons of salinity tolerances for both species of Dreissena revealed that neither species could survive salinity levels greater than 5‰; however, Dreissena in Ukraine, show greater acclimation to salinity extremes than in North America, possibly attributed to experiencing more generations in the native range, compared to the more recent colonization in North America. Salinity tolerances in zebra and quagga mussels increase with larval age, however, both species are negatively affected as embryos by salinities of 4% and beyond with polymorpha embryos and larvae demonstrating a higher degree of salinity resistance than bugensis embryos and larvae.

riverbound
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Quagga mussels are usually found in fresh water in salinities up to 1%; they can reproduce in salinities below 2-3%, and are killed by salinities exceeding 6%. North American comparisons of salinity tolerances for both species of Dreissena revealed that neither species could survive salinity levels greater than 5‰; however, Dreissena in Ukraine, show greater acclimation to salinity extremes than in North America, possibly attributed to experiencing more generations in the native range, compared to the more recent colonization in North America. Salinity tolerances in zebra and quagga mussels increase with larval age, however, both species are negatively affected as embryos by salinities of 4% and beyond with polymorpha embryos and larvae demonstrating a higher degree of salinity resistance than bugensis embryos and larvae.
In English please :D

Nord
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
They don't thrive as much in salt water........

ThongMagnet
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I guess we're DOOMED. Brain eating omebas, and boat eating muscles. Whats next, will they be banning pasties on the river?
They did ban the sandbar, and copper canyon cove:D :D :D :idea:

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
The salinity content of the water for that killed the parents of the new offspring, theroitically won't have the same effect on them, they will die at once the salinity rises, but not before they reproduce more offspring.
Its a vicious cycle :mad:

Magic34
10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
What do they look like on the boat? After having my boat in the water for 3 days in Havasu, I had some small white gatherings on my drives and such. After drying the boat out, they became powdery if you wipe them off. Were these them?

DILLIGAF
10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Excuse me for asking....lol
I think I understand now :)

LHC30Victory
10-03-2007, 04:58 AM
What do they look like on the boat? After having my boat in the water for 3 days in Havasu, I had some small white gatherings on my drives and such. After drying the boat out, they became powdery if you wipe them off. Were these them?
I had that same thing on the Victory after the Desert Storm...My best guess was fish eggs since they were on the top sides of the drives, not the bottom or sides....And, it was too soon for Mussels to show up to that size.