PDA

View Full Version : My nerves are shot

rivrrts429
10-01-2007, 08:24 PM
I wanted to share an experience I had Yesterday
My wife, son and I went up to Big River this weekend to relax and start preparing to bring the boat and 5th wheel home for the winter (we keep it up at Rio Del Sol april - october). We had a great time and boat ran awesome all weekend. I had decided last week that I would wait until mid October to bring the boat home and bring the trailer home the weekend after that.
Well things changed and for some reason I decided I would bring the boat home this weekend instead. I got up early Sunday morning and began loading up the boat and everything related. My brother in law was going to leave with us and follow towing his boat. We got held up at the vidal inspection for a little bit but other than that the drive home was smooth. We got on the 10 w/b at desert center, set the cruise control at 65, and a mile west of Red Cloud road my left front tire on my truck grenaded. Before I could react it shot me left, between two cars (thank god I didn't kill anyone), with the boat in tow :( . Luckily I didnt panic and hit the brakes, but I bounced off the guardrail and back across the freeway onto the shoulder.
The boat hit the guardrail pretty hard as well. The trailer is hammered but not a scratch on the boat except for concrete chunks on the bow and inside the boat.
My truck is banged up as well. It tore up my brake lines, the fuse block on the top side of the fender well is ripped up, driver side door tweeked, driver side crew cab door smooshed, steering is crooked, bumper is bent up, and left front fender is junk.
With all this said I could care less about how busted up my shit is, thats why we have insurance. The main thing is that all of us were O.K. You don't realize how many things go thru your head in a matter of seconds when something like this happens and you have no control of the final outcome, you just hope it ends with everyone o.k. My son (he's 4) slept thru it for the most part. My wife was really shook up and still is. Things could've been so much different. There could've been a car or truck or motorcycle next to us in the fast lane. There is also few spots that have a guard rail out there and if it happened 500 yards farther down the road I would've ended up in a ditch.
Over Labor day weekend a family friend had her tire blow and her truck rolled and she lost her life. This just could have ended so much worse yet I feel fortunate it didnt.
My point is -
You never know what could happen in a matter of seconds and how fast your life can change. One second your laughing about what happened over the weekend and the next your in an accident. Make sure you wear your seatbelt and be prepared for the unexpected.
Richard

HemiDude
10-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Glad you and your family are OK!!!!

caroftheweek
10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the Man up stairs was looking out for you and your family.
Glad everyone is OK.

DeltaSigBoater
10-01-2007, 08:39 PM
:eek:
Glad to hear that everyone is!
I know I'd be changing my shorts on the side of the highway after an ordeal like that!

AirtimeLavey
10-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Sounds scary. Glad you're all ok. I have never thought so much about how quickly things can change, until I started reading about incidents like this on this site. Happy that this time everything turned out with no one injured. :)

rivrrts429
10-01-2007, 08:40 PM
I did have a CHP officer stop and he was more than nice. He actually took the lugs off my busted up tire while my brother in law and I got the spare tire. He spent the better of 20 minutes helping us take inventory of the damage. Kudos to the highway patrol and the time he took to lighten the moment with my family.

rivrrts429
10-01-2007, 08:42 PM
:eek:
Glad to hear that everyone is!
I know I'd be changing my shorts on the side of the highway after an ordeal like that!
Thanks everyone for the thoughts.
I'm surprised that half of Southern California couldn't hear my asshole slam shut when it happened:D

SurfOnH20
10-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear you and your family are well ! I was up last weekend as well for the last time this season. For some reason I took the 40 home back to Orange County. I had this weird feeling to stay off Rice Road this time. I've been traveling Rice Road for over 20 years. Wasn't bad traveling the 40. With only 10 miles more and it seemed much safer..Who knows maybe nothing would have happen, but I tend to follow my gut feeling when things don't seem on the up and up. Good luck with the repairs and give your family a big hug !!

ThongMagnet
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
We got on the 10 w/b at desert center, set the cruise control at 65, and a mile west of Red Cloud road my left front tire on my truck grenaded. Before I could react it shot me left, between two cars (thank god I didn't kill anyone), with the boat in tow :( . Luckily I didnt panic and hit the brakes, but I bounced off the guardrail and back across the freeway onto the shoulder.
That cruise control can be pretty cruial during a blowout. Actually the good thing is it was a front tire. Most rollovers occur when an SUV blows out a rear tire. One tire spins faster than the other, and before you can apply brakes to kill the Cruise Control, or if equipment anti slip reduction, the rear of the vehicle is sliding sideways, and if the SUV does not roll over, the boat being towed will push it over. Towing is very dangerous, and cruise control can quickly make it worse.
Glad to here your all ok.

EAZYKILLER2006
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I wanted to share an experience I had Yesterday
My wife, son and I went up to Big River this weekend to relax and start preparing to bring the boat and 5th wheel home for the winter (we keep it up at Rio Del Sol april - october). We had a great time and boat ran awesome all weekend. I had decided last week that I would wait until mid October to bring the boat home and bring the trailer home the weekend after that.
Well things changed and for some reason I decided I would bring the boat home this weekend instead. I got up early Sunday morning and began loading up the boat and everything related. My brother in law was going to leave with us and follow towing his boat. We got held up at the vidal inspection for a little bit but other than that the drive home was smooth. We got on the 10 w/b at desert center, set the cruise control at 65, and a mile west of Red Cloud road my left front tire on my truck grenaded. Before I could react it shot me left, between two cars (thank god I didn't kill anyone), with the boat in tow :( . Luckily I didnt panic and hit the brakes, but I bounced off the guardrail and back across the freeway onto the shoulder.
The boat hit the guardrail pretty hard as well. The trailer is hammered but not a scratch on the boat except for concrete chunks on the bow and inside the boat.
My truck is banged up as well. It tore up my brake lines, the fuse block on the top side of the fender well is ripped up, driver side door tweeked, driver side crew cab door smooshed, steering is crooked, bumper is bent up, and left front fender is junk.
With all this said I could care less about how busted up my shit is, thats why we have insurance. The main thing is that all of us were O.K. You don't realize how many things go thru your head in a matter of seconds when something like this happens and you have no control of the final outcome, you just hope it ends with everyone o.k. My son (he's 4) slept thru it for the most part. My wife was really shook up and still is. Things could've been so much different. There could've been a car or truck or motorcycle next to us in the fast lane. There is also few spots that have a guard rail out there and if it happened 500 yards farther down the road I would've ended up in a ditch.
Over Labor day weekend a family friend had her tire blow and her truck rolled and she lost her life. This just could have ended so much worse yet I feel fortunate it didnt.
My point is -
You never know what could happen in a matter of seconds and how fast your life can change. One second your laughing about what happened over the weekend and the next your in an accident. Make sure you wear your seatbelt and be prepared for the unexpected.
Richard
yea, i hear you!
we go on a bike run this weekend
i hate the bike:(
glad everyone is safe

Nord
10-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Scary......

RitcheyRch
10-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Glad to hear that you and your family are safe.

rivrrts429
10-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Rivrrats429, wow, glad you made out okay. My brother and I came back that way Sunday afternoon 4-> 5 but didn't see you. Saw a rolled over car up past Washington. What time did you munch it? I'll usually stop for any boater on the side of the road.
Rio
Rio
It happened about 11:30 on Sunday morning. After zip tying brake lines and wires and fixing the blown tire I was back on the road by 2:00. 55 stay alive all the way home:D
Thats the other funny thing. We usually stay late on Sundays but decided to leave early. Like others have said...The big man must have been watching out for us;)

meaniam
10-02-2007, 06:29 AM
an e ticket ride for sure. glad you guys made it through this fine.

rivrrts429
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow, that's quite a ride, glad everyone was OK. I can't believe you were able to limp it home, the damage sounds pretty bad.
It wasnt pretty lookin but it made it home. The damage was mostly unseen, underneath looks pretty bad. I probably wouldn't have tried to drive home if I had looked at the truck better but at the time I figured it was all cosmetic. My focus was to get everyone home and deal with the insurance company.

HalletDave
10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=caroftheweek;2818795]Sounds like the Man up stairs was looking out for you and your family.QUOTE]
:idea: So does this mean God is not FAKE?
On a serious note,
Glad you and the family made it through that ordeal and made it home safely.:)

rivrrts429
10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=caroftheweek;2818795]Sounds like the Man up stairs was looking out for you and your family.QUOTE]
:idea: So does this mean God is not FAKE?
On a serious note,
Glad you and the family made it through that ordeal and made it home safely.:)
From the message in your sig line I could've used your expertise...Does it apply to vehicles as well:D :D

HalletDave
10-02-2007, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=HalletDave;2819668]
From the message in your sig line I could've used your expertise...Does it apply to vehicles as well:D :D
No expertise on my part rivrrts429.
:idea:
Perhaps kilr will tell us about his prowess in the new sport of boat trailer drifting.:D

rivrrts429
10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=rivrrts429;2819693]
No expertise on my part rivrrts429.
:idea:
Perhaps kilr will tell us about his prowess in the new sport of boat trailer drifting.:D
:sqeyes: :eek: :)