PDA

View Full Version : Outboard engine Selection help & Pricing

Speedee28
09-15-2002, 12:48 PM
I am contemplating buying a Glacier Bay Cat 26 foot fishing boat which can take 2 150 hp outboards. I have never owned an outboard but have owned Merc sterndrives.
I plan to use the boat in the salt 100%. I don't know if I should get a 2 stroke or 4 stroke ??? (looks like the only Honda 4 strokes would be a 130 hp).
I would like to have a factory fuel mgmt system v. having to add a Floscan system. Given I will be taking my boys on the ocean I need the engines to be reliable. What mfg's would you recommend ?
Any pricing info would be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance for you help ....
Speedee28

randy77zt
09-15-2002, 10:37 PM
within a year there will be many 4 strokes on the markit because of emissions regs.most of the guys on this site are high performance types and will say mercury.my parents are retired but young and go on exotic vacations.my dad says he sees mostly yamaha engines.the twin honda set up will probably be very reliable but slower than a big single engine because of weight.another plus of 4 stroke is not having to buy oil all of the time.best to go down to the marina when and ask a guy that has a rig like you want if he likes it.if you troll while you fish you might do good just running 1 engine at a time.or ask the mechanics in the shops or take one out to a good lunch.i am a tech at a ford dealer-i know the inside story on ford.if you get to know a marine engine tech you will get informed.

HavasuDreamin'
09-16-2002, 05:52 AM
Just got back from Fiji where the main transportation is by boat. They all run Yamaha O/B's. Not sure if that is because they are closer to Japan or not, but all of the boats ran Yamers.

HavasuBarney
09-16-2002, 07:26 AM
From San Diego to Florida and now Figi :) , Yamaha seems to be the ocean choice.

snappertapper
09-16-2002, 08:34 AM
I would suggest the 150 hpdi yamaha or even the 175, these are excelent motors, i would also suggest the saltwater series 2 ox66 motors these are also good motors i hear the 4 strokes are good too but personally i would wait a few more years unitl theey are perfected though.