PDA

View Full Version : Consignment

ChumpChange
10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Anybody use consignment to sell their boat? The wife and I are expecting another child and since we're on the same time frame as last years pregnancy where we didn't use the boat at all this year, we decided that it would be good to actually sell the thing.
Thinking about doing a consignment thing. What are some good places out there that people have used and at the same time, what is the general cut.
And if anybody has been thinking about buying my boat, now would be the time since there would be no consignment fee. :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
It varies from place to place, but the norm is 10% of the sales price

essexjet
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Boaters Outlet in Upland is pretty good. Friend has a boat there now.
http://www.boatersoutletandmarine.com/

uvindex
10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Anybody use consignment to sell their boat? I have. Sold my boat at Cowboy's (I think that's the name -- next to Walmart in Havasu). I told him the minimum I'd take for my boat. He sold it, I got the check for the amount we agreed to. He made a profit, I sold my boat, everybody was happy. :)

Scapegoat1
10-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Go with boaters outlet it is close to you.
My buddy bought two boats from the lot and I bought mine and my twin also bought his and he came from Nebraska to pick it up.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Just make sure it is clean before you take it, and check up on it to make sure they keep it clean. I have been to a couple of boat lots and noticed SOME places don't maintain the boats like they should. Mark

yopengo
10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I have. Sold my boat at Cowboy's (I think that's the name -- next to Walmart in Havasu). I told him the minimum I'd take for my boat. He sold it, I got the check for the amount we agreed to. He made a profit, I sold my boat, everybody was happy. :)
I also sold my old jet with Cowboy's. Same deal. I was happy with the agreed sale price. I think they sold it in 35 days.

Brewzed
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Advantage sold mine for 10%, but it was credited to towards my boat when it was completed.
It sucks to pay the percentage, but the dealers usually pay to advertise, you don't have to worry about showing it to people (that usually flake) and they can offer financing.

HemiDude
10-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Also make sure it doesn't get stolen...remember it's in someone elses hands at that point...

Cole Trickle
10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Most insurance companies won't cover a loss if the boat is being sold through consingment.(It's not stolen if you give it to someone)
I sold my vette through a some what reputable vette dealership and they got somewhere between 8-10%. I didn't really have any issues except it took them an extra 2 weeks to get me my $$$.
On the flip side one of my customers had his motorhome consigned through a little hole in the wall place. they sold his motorhome and dissapeared. Unfortunatley the Insurance company is not going to get involved with your finnancial agreements. the new owner bought it fair and square and the paper work/release of owner ship is usually signed when you drop it off. It would be you going after the guy that stole your $$ not the new owner of said property.
I was lucky because I signed the same stuff and had a good outcome.:)

gqchris
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Number one thing to keep in mind when consigning a boat is to use a licensed brokerage All brokers have to be licensed like real estate agents because boats are considered "real property". Make SURE the place you use is licensed thru the Dept of Boating and Waterways. This protects you in alot of ways. We do vehicles as well, but the laws are very different regarding boats. We charge 10% like the going rate. Let me know if I can help with anything , shoot me a pm!
Chris

98 Vector 21
10-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I would not use Boaters Outlet out there by you! PM me if you want details....:mad:

Rising Sun
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Bring your boat to Eliminator. We have a large used boat inventory. We charge a 10% consignment fee. We qualify the buyer and arrange the financing. Contact me:
Ron Tanikawa
Eliminator Boats
10795 San Sevaine
Mira Loma, 91752
951-681-1222
or at
ront@eliminatorboat.com

wildbillg
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
If you want to call me and talk about your boat please feel free to call me
Bill Gardner
The Boat Brokers Inc.
Lake Havasu City. AZ 86406
1-800-488-0258 ext 232

ChumpChange
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. Will be calling around today.