PDA

View Full Version : Power Problems

wideopen23
04-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Iam having some problems with my 89 xp 200.
I had the whole motor gone through top to bottom everything checks out. It runs good for about 10 mintues then it acts like it is running on 3 cylinders. The only thing I can think it is I am running 5/16 fuel line but I am not sure that would be it, any help here would be most greatly appreciated.
JC

snappertapper
04-08-2003, 06:41 PM
a friend had a similar problem on a 200 and he just changed all the electrical, which he bought a t a marine salvage yard for like $50 i think he said it was the sensor coil or something

Rexone
04-08-2003, 11:13 PM
If you've throughly checked your fuel system (including filters) it likely is the brainbox. Call Lew Covert at Lakeland Marine in Havasu. He's a guru on outboards. :)

wideopen23
04-09-2003, 12:48 PM
thanks guys for the help, I have looked at the fuel system everything looks good. the only thing I can thing fuel wise is maybe the fuel pump is going on and off. The guy I bought the motor from told me he put all new electrical on it but I will have to look into that as well. thanks again for the tips

wideopen23
04-11-2003, 08:33 AM
I figured out that one of the gas caps was sealing the tank and not letting it breath so it is creating a vacumm so I am hoping that is the problem. DO you think this would cause lose in power?

HavasuDreamin'
04-11-2003, 09:56 AM
wideopen23:
I figured out that one of the gas caps was sealing the tank and not letting it breath so it is creating a vacumm so I am hoping that is the problem. DO you think this would cause lose in power? I think it could very well be your problem. It explains why you run fine for a few minutes and then terrible after that. Most tanks have a vent at the top. Also, make sure you have relatively fresh gas.
HD :cool:

Forkin' Crazy
04-11-2003, 02:17 PM
5/16" fuel line from the tank is too small. If you are not using an electric pump, you need to have a 3/8" primer bulb too. The ones made by OMC are better than the cheapies. The check valves are better.
Is the vent in the fuel cap itself?

Tom Brown
04-11-2003, 02:45 PM
When you say it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders, that makes me think it's misfiring... which I would think is electrical.
You can use an inductive timing light to watch the condition of the spark when that happens. Just get someone to drive and cruise away with the timing light blinking away. Pay attention to what happens to the light when the motor starts to run like crap. That will at least narrow it to fuel or electrical.
From your description, I think there's a decent chance it's your stator. The big OMC V6 is known to cook stators.
-- Tom

MAXIMUS
04-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Tom Brown
From your description, I think there's a decent chance it's your stator. The big OMC V6 is known to cook stators.
-- Tom [/QB]Yea another reason I like my jet... I don't have stator problems!!! :rolleyes:

HavasuBarney
04-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Yep, me again. :D
I just had to post here too, I saw Maxi's name next to the outboard forum and had to LOL.
FYI Maxi, the newer OB's from Mercury have 60amp belt driven alternators. wink Another reason to scrap the car boat. :D

MAXIMUS
04-11-2003, 07:48 PM
60 AMPS???? SIXTY AMPS??? SIX ZERO AMPS??? eek! 60 Amps could barely run a Chief auto parts premium 15 watts a channel stereo with tone control!!! No you need to step up & get a 150 amp "chrome" altenator... like mine, Then you can have some serious 8 track playing, boom bumpin, booty boppin, funk while handen some spanks arse to him & sippin a cocktail at a (this ones for dave) casual 124 (with 4 adults)!!! Yea thats why you need to get rid of the gardening tools & try on a "JET"!!!! wink
Damn Im good!!! lol
[ April 11, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: MAXIMUS ]

Forkin' Crazy
04-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Well......you might need it to drive that stereo while you are sitting on the sandbar because if you run your boat too much you will run out of gas! eek! 40 gal...LOL!
Mean while, I will be still running mine up and down the river! Kinda hard to hear a stereo when you are running at speed anyway! :D

Forkin' Crazy
04-12-2003, 06:29 PM
wideopen23:
Iam having some problems with my 89 xp 200.
I had the whole motor gone through top to bottom everything checks out. It runs good for about 10 mintues then it acts like it is running on 3 cylinders. The only thing I can think it is I am running 5/16 fuel line but I am not sure that would be it, any help here would be most greatly appreciated.
JC Sorry..... :rolleyes: back on the subject:
Change your fuel lines and pump bulb if necessary. Make sure you have a good fuel filter or water separator.
Check your spark with the plugs out on a spark tester set a 7/16". It should make nice blue sparks. Run it. If it starts to run bad, pull the plugs and run the spark test again. Some bad electrical components will fail when they get hot.

MAXIMUS
04-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Problem # 236 Outboards can't afford the weight of a real stereo system! Thats why you "kinda" have a hard time hearing it at 60 mph? See I have to turn mine down sometimes at speed so I can hear my engine! :D Its a "jet boat" thing!

wideopen23
04-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Well I took it out this weekend and played with it when it started to run like crap I went to the back and pumped the bulb when I did this the motor would surge, which makes me think that I have a bad fuel pump. I am putting on an electric this week and see what that does.. The fuel tank not breathing wasnt the problem..BUMMER.
thanks for the help