PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever negotiate a gym membership?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Our personal trainer is moving out of his private gym and we aren't looking forward to going back to one of the big gyms. Has anyone ever negotiated the price down on a gym membership at one of these places? For example, asking them to waive the enrollment fee if you pay a year in advance? Just wondering if it's possible. :idea:

BigDoug
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Aaron should be right here, give him a minute !! :D

RitcheyRch
10-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Most gyms that I have been a member of have waived the initial enrollment fees when have told them that I was a current member of another gym.
I did have to show them proof by showing them my membership card from the other gym.

uvindex
10-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Just wondering if it's possible. :idea:From consumerist.com:
Getting a gym membership without getting screwed is next to impossible, right? Wrong. Here are some simple negotiating tactics that will have you jazzercising in no time.
Knowledge is Power: The median enrollment fee for a gym membership is $150 dollars for an individual and $55 a month in dues, according to the IHRSA.
One way to reduce your monthly fee is to tell your gym of choice that you've found a better deal somewhere else. Say: "It's $15 dollars cheaper down the block, and I'll burn 3 calories walking down there to give THEM my money." Watch them knock $15 off your dues.
Tell them where to shove the Membership Fee. Tell them to reduce or eliminate it. One good way is to tell them you know they just had a off membership sale and you want that deal or you are walking out the door.
Contracts: What is this, a cell phone? We don't think so. Aim for month-to-month. If that's not possible, do not sign up for more than a year.
That's it! Simple, no? If one gym won't bend to your negotiating techniques, go to another one. That's capitalism, baby.
Good luck! :)

AZJD
10-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Should be able to get enrollment waived if you both sign up and you can do month to month at just about every place around now. Just play hardball. Those little fokks get commish on everything they sell. I would wait til end of month though. They have a quota to meet.

Rexone
10-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I negotiated $265 a year at LA fitness with no enrollment fee by paying 3 years upfront. It was no big deal because I knew I would use it. And the $265 annually is good for life now.
They like the multi years up front because they know most people flake out.

Parker Dreamin
10-02-2007, 06:40 PM
go to www.globalfit.com and see if your work is partnered up with them. I did this with The Spectrum and it saved the wife and I about $60 less a month.

MAINEVENT
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Save yourself ALOT of TIME and MONEY... Just Go Here... (http://www.ocfitnessstore.com) Trust me I've seen and have heard it over and over... "im tired of going to gym" "Tired of the crowds" blah blah blah... Save yourself the time and all the bullshit and set one up in your home... many options these day that unless your trying to turn out to be some steroid jockey you can do it in your home for around the same cost as your memebership... (BUT do stay away from the sears, wal-mart, sams club, costco stuff...)
Good Luck...
I just noticed the site is getting redone... Call 714-890-9955 aks for Brian or Melanie (only them ) Tell them Alex sent you...

XtrmWakeborder
10-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh yah you can negotiate it. Just say your friend payed upfront and you want the same deal. I payed 3 years upfront for 530 dollars and in the 4th year i pay 48 bucks a year for the rest of my time there.

SandbarScot
10-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Gym memberships can be a scam. First off, I don't let ANYONE have access to my bank account by making auto withdrawals every month. Just give them the annual fee up front, once a year. Second point, since you live close, try Fitness 19. They are offering incredible deal for their new place in south Temecula, but you can use it in Murrieta.

riverbound
10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I paid nothing upfront and $25 a month. Thats an All-Club membership to 24 hour fitness.

OGShocker
10-02-2007, 08:11 PM
What the hell is a Gym?:confused:
:D

Sportin' Wood
10-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the advice.
Driving to Murrieta is out. We won't use it if we have to drive that far.
Home gym is out. Our first choice is a home gym, but we have no room for it. Before you say they don't take up much room........ We have no room for it.
We have three choices in this town, and our first choice is going back to one on one private training in his home. That does not work for us as Angie is in the gym every morning at 5:00 and that would get expensive. The fancy new gym is real expensive but very nice. Did the tour yesterday and did a drive by this morning(its a ghost town). They will have to bend on the price if we are going to sign up with them. I am going to look at the low budget place next door to the bling bling gym today.
They are opening a LA fitness in town next year so I assume Bling Bling will be lowering the price next year. Our thought is that we will just pay for the year in advance, and see what shakes out. Maybe next year I will have room for a home gym.
Under $300 for the year I would be on that like stink on sh!t!:D

Debbolas
10-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Wow....I had no idea gyms were so expensive.:jawdrop:
Totally worth it - Angie looks great:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-03-2007, 06:07 AM
Save yourself ALOT of TIME and MONEY... Just Go Here... (http://www.ocfitnessstore.com) Trust me I've seen and have heard it over and over... "im tired of going to gym" "Tired of the crowds" blah blah blah... Save yourself the time and all the bullshit and set one up in your home... many options these day that unless your trying to turn out to be some steroid jockey you can do it in your home for around the same cost as your memebership... (BUT do stay away from the sears, wal-mart, sams club, costco stuff...)
Good Luck...
I just noticed the site is getting redone... Call 714-890-9955 aks for Brian or Melanie (only them ) Tell them Alex sent you...
We would LOVE to do that, but our house is just too small. We're hoping to move next year and one of the requirements is room for a home gym.
edit: oops! I see Jeff already said that. Oh, well. :)
p.s. our house is too small :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Wow....I had no idea gyms were so expensive.:jawdrop:
Totally worth it - Angie looks great:D
Thanks, Deb. :)

Debbolas
10-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks, Deb. :)
No problem, you look great:D
I was looking through the Parker pictures and I love the one of you, me and Mandy :D (Shorty);)

buzzaro
10-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Another thing to watch for, and pretty scamlike if you ask me, is what they tried with my wife. They said they would waive the $200 doller enrollment fee, but when she went to sign the paperwork they informed her that there was a $200 "processing" fee:confused: :mad:....we dont belong to that gym;)

topless
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Our personal trainer is moving out of his private gym and we aren't looking forward to going back to one of the big gyms. Has anyone ever negotiated the price down on a gym membership at one of these places? For example, asking them to waive the enrollment fee if you pay a year in advance? Just wondering if it's possible. :idea:Yes I did but they weren't happy about it. I got what I wanted, you just have to call around. PM me and I'll tell you how and what I did.