PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Ulsd??

ultra26shadow
10-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I just bought an 07 Duramax and it states in the manual and on the gas door that I must use ULSD Diesel in the truck or serious damage may occur. So In Orange County you can find it almost at every gas station that has that sticker on the pump, but do all gas companies use it in there pumps because Arco and some Chevron stations dont have the sticker stating it is ULSD. What are you supposed to do if you are out in the middle of nowhere and the gas station has diesel but there is no sticker stating it is ULSD?? Has any techs out there experienced someone that put regualar #2 Diesel in a 07-08 diesel truck with any problems?? Reason why I am asking because I almost ran out of gas on my way to Laughlin because the station seemed it only had #2 diesel and luckily I found a station while almost empty that had the ULSD sticker on the pumps..

TheCarDudes
10-02-2007, 06:40 PM
It was mandated in California as of October 2006 that all gas stations convert to ULSD. I'm not sure about other states but it is usually a company decision. If Chevron did it Cali, most likely it is already done in Nevada and Arizona. I usually don't fuel up ouside of my local town in California or at least close to it, then I will fuel up again in Havasu. I never had any problems.
TCD

rrrr
10-04-2007, 07:33 AM
From the Chevron website:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml
What is S15 (ULSD)?
S15 (ULSD) is defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as U.S. diesel fuel with a sulfur content not to exceed 15 ppm (parts per million). S15, S500, and S5000 are designations for diesel fuels that meet 15 ppm, 500 ppm, and 5,000 ppm maximum sulfur content, respectively, as defined in the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard D975 Table 1. In different regions of the world ULSD may refer to different maximum sulfur content values, but ULSD and S15 are often used interchangeably in North America (U.S. and Canada).The S15, S500, and S5000 designations also apply to the Canadian diesel market.
For additional information on the new S15 (ULSD) regulations visit the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance Information Center
When is S15 (ULSD) required to be produced and sold?
Introduction of the new 15ppm diesel into different portions of the diesel fuel supply channel will be managed through staggered compliance dates. For North America, there are currently three S15 (ULSD) implementation timelines.
United States (except California)
On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Refinery < 15ppm by June 1, 2006
Terminal < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by October 15, 2006
Off-Road / Locomotive & Marine Fuel < 500ppm by June 1, 2007
California
On-Highway, Off-Road, & Fixed Equipment Diesel Fuel
Terminal < 15ppm by July 15, 2006
Retail < 15ppm by September 1, 2006
Intra-State Locomotive / Marine Harbor Craft Fuel < 15ppm by January 1, 2007
Canada
On-Highway Diesel Fuel
Retail < 22ppm by September 1, 2006
< 15ppm by October 15, 2006
How do I know what diesel grade I am putting in my vehicle?
As part of the S15 (ULSD) regulation, the EPA requires that new labels be placed on every diesel dispenser in the United States, excluding California. The label should be located near the indicator that shows how many gallons you have pumped into your diesel vehicle.
If the diesel fuel is S15 (ULSD) then the label will be titled "Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel". If the diesel fuel is S500 (LSD) then the label will be titled "Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel". All Chevron and Texaco diesel dispensers, excluding those dispensers in California, were appropriately labeled by June 1, 2006.
In California, the state has mandated that ULSD be the only fuel available. Therefore, the EPA has exempted California from labeling dispenser pumps.
Please see the American Petroleum Institute (API) article, API Suggested Diesel Pump Labels for more information concerning the look and placement of the decals.
Note - The above labeling requirements only apply to the United States, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. Canada does not have dispenser labeling requirements.

JakeC.
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
being a d-max tech, i have not yet seen any problems due to the fact that in cali all gas stations are mandated to have the low sulfar fuel now. other than the fuel, just make sure that if you do your own oil changes to get the coorect oil. they take a special oil as well.

ultra26shadow
10-05-2007, 09:15 PM
being a d-max tech, i have not yet seen any problems due to the fact that in cali all gas stations are mandated to have the low sulfar fuel now. other than the fuel, just make sure that if you do your own oil changes to get the coorect oil. they take a special oil as well.
Yeah but are all gas stations mandated to have the sticker on the pumps?? because I have been to a lot of Arco's and none of them have the sticker on the pump. But you go to a Chevron, 76, Shell, or a Mobil and they all have the sticker on.

ultra26shadow
10-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Special Oil WTF?? what kind??

JakeC.
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah but are all gas stations mandated to have the sticker on the pumps?? because I have been to a lot of Arco's and none of them have the sticker on the pump. But you go to a Chevron, 76, Shell, or a Mobil and they all have the sticker on.
i dont know why all gas stations do not have the stickers on the pump, but i do know that last year the epa mandated that all stations have this fuel in the tanks. at least in cali that i know of.

JakeC.
10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Special Oil WTF?? what kind??
it is a special synthetic diesel oil. i will check tomarrow at work to see what kind exactly it is supposed to be.

HMF'er
10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I put some LSD (500ppm) in my truck that requires ULSD (15ppm) and noted a rough and loud idle. I only did it once and didn't even fill it up. If you need fuel, you need fuel. Try to only put in as much as you need to get to the station that sells ULSD.

rrrr
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Jeez.....I posted the information above, how about reading it. :rolleyes:
1.) LSD has not been available for sale in California since September 1, 2006.
2.) LSD has not been available for sale in the rest of the United States since October 15, 2006.
3.) Gas stations in California are not required to post the ULSD stickers on pumps because it's the only diesel fuel legally available for sale.

HMF'er
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
J
2.) LSD has not been available for sale in the rest of the United States since October 15, 2006.
Not true unless the statement only applies to Chevron stations.
SuperFuels in LHC still sold the LSD earlier this summer.

wideopen545
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
they still sell lsd here at the pumps
its know dyed red and sold as off road
the heating oil truck also carries it on the truck with the heating oil

rrrr
10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Thus the statement:
Since October 2006 it has not been legal to sell LSD for use in road vehicles.
I'm just quoting the EPA......

gasguy
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
I hate to put a snag in what all you regulation guys are saying but the person in Lake Havasu City is correct. I live in Quartzsite Az. just down the river from him and the 2 major gas stations in town, Pilot and Loves still sell the Low Sulfer diesel at their pumps as of last week 11-01-07. It clearly states on the pumps not for use in vehicles newer than 2007.

gasguy
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
I did some research on the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality web site and found that California was required to have all ULSD at the pumps last year. The EPA requires that all highway diesel fuel has to be Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel by December 1, 2010. So for all us folks with new trucks, good luck once you get out of California. I guess the major stations have switched over, Chevron, Shell and a few others.:sqeyes:

Jerrys59
11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
There is a ULSD on the pumps at super fuels in Havi.