PDA

View Full Version : Legal or illegal...

ROZ
02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
would a knife kept in my driver's door pocket be considered a consealed weapon? I use it for work from time to time and it's kept in it's sheath. I usually keep it in the lockable toolbox mounted in my truck bed, but I just threw it into the door pocket because I was in a hurry... The blade length is only about 4" long...

riverracerx
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I would be curious too. I have one of these clipped to the bottom of my dash:
http://www.coastcutlery.com/images/CO4_D.jpg

totenhosen
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I've been told a mini Dodger bat in the trunk of your car can be considered a concealed weapon. (Anyone know???)

WYRD
02-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Maglite.........

ROZ
02-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Maglite.........
????
Are you saying that even a flashlight can be a consealed weapon?

jbone
02-27-2006, 03:47 PM
You have the knife there to cut away your seatbelt in case of emergency. Right?
J

Ivan Dan
02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
????
It can certainly be used as a weapon if needed but wouldn't be construed as a concealed weapon from the LEO's point of view.

WYRD
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
????
Im just saying I keep a maglite in the door for those dark nights..........those things come in handy for everything.... :crossx:

2Driver
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Roz,
In California I think even a silent fart is consider a concealed weapon :)
Sometimes I think it depends on whether the cop feels like writing it up or not and of course the situation if pulled over. Something happen?

Havasu_Dreamin
02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Im just saying I keep a maglite in the door for those dark nights
Same here.....

ROZ
02-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Roz,
In California I think even a silent fart is consider a concealed weapon :)
Sometimes I think it depends on whether the cop feels like writing it up or not and of course the situation if pulled over. Something happen?
Nothing happened... As I was gettin gout of the truck to go into the office, a saw the handle of the knife sticking out of the door pocket and wondered if I could be busted for it...
BTW, I should have been arested for the SBD in the gorcery store tat caused aperson to almost pass out :D

Wake Havasu
02-27-2006, 04:19 PM
J
No, the G35 40 cal Glock is for shooting the belt off.
The knife is in case I come across a Raider Nations citizen.

boater012
02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
i keep a flare gun and shells in my truck in the drivers door along with the baker marine and hallett stickers on my back window i have friends that are cops and they all say im fine with it! but i guess it depends on how big of a napoleon complex the cop has and how hard he wants to **** with you! ive had cops take a pen knife and a corkscrew before when i got stopped for street racing in my mustang!

XtrmWakeborder
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Hmm good question, i've got one of these under my seat just in case...http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1815sealknife.jpg

hoolign
02-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Only problem with carrying these is ya better be prepared to push it through..otherwise your gonna get shanked with your own knife. I got a louisville behind my seat .I figure i can take his knees out or give him a good ear dewaxing and it aint a concealed weapon if theres a ball and a glove in the truck

MOBrien
02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
..............I figure i can take his knees out or give him a good ear dewaxing and it aint a concealed weapon if theres a ball and a glove in the truck
ding ding ding.
me too....and I know I could swing through it. :D

HMF'er
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I guess it depends on the knife and its intent.
From the CA Penal Code:
653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's
area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the
public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells,
offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any
other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in
length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein
12024. Every person having upon him or her any deadly weapon, with
intent to assault another, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

DRMCAT
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
I guess it depends on the knife and its intent.
From the CA Penal Code:
653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's
area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the
public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells,
offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any
other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in
length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein
12024. Every person having upon him or her any deadly weapon, with
intent to assault another, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
BILL MCCOMBS?????????

HMF'er
02-27-2006, 08:21 PM
BILL MCCOMBS?????????
Jr.

YeLLowBoaT
02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
you can have any size folding knife on your person ( as long as it does not meet the "switch blade" def.) you can also carry a fixed blade knife on your person as long as its in "plan site" if you have the handle under a jacket its not costerd in plan site(with in reason....). In a car I know having a gun that is not in a locked case its a mistermener(ziper bags with a lock work, so do a non locked case with a gun lock on the gun. the glove box and the "console" safes like cabeles sales are not valid.) i would be willing to bet that it "could" be constired a CW, but in this case I think its up to the LEO rather they want to press the issue. IE you don't make a move for it or act like a dick.

Kilrtoy
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Now that you have all admitted to wrong doing, I will begin rounding you up in the morning, get a good night sleep gentlemen :rollside:

Huckleberry
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Having a pocket knife in your car or on your person is 100% legal in CA. PC 12024 pertains to you having your knife in your hand with the intention of slicing open someone when not in self-defense.

EXTRMBT
02-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Maglite.........
6-cell D right! :p

wsuwrhr
02-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I got a louisville behind my seat .I figure i can take his knees out or give him a good ear dewaxing and it aint a concealed weapon if theres a ball and a glove in the truck
BTW:
Same goes for the MagLite.
If you EVER have to use a MagLite, as a weapon, Mf'er better work when LE shows up, I mean work as in it better light up.
That's why you always make damn sure you keep a good spare bulb in the tailcap.
Don't ask me how I know.
Brian

riverracerx
02-27-2006, 09:12 PM
mine has a thumb post so looks like I am legal!!

Kindsvater Flat
02-27-2006, 09:16 PM
scew the knives. This is in my door pocket!
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_MVC-002F%7E0.JPG

wsuwrhr
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
You are one of the lucky one's
scew the knives. This is in my door pocket!
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_MVC-002F%7E0.JPG

YeLLowBoaT
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
You can't get a CCW permit in Sac county.... only 1 issued since He took office... Yet if I lived just 7 miles up the street I could get one.

Kindsvater Flat
02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Just an idea where the permits are going.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/permit1.jpg
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/permit2.jpg

ROZ
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Remind me not to breath wrong or pass gas in Kern or Shasta.. Them boys appear to be ready for a lynchin :D

ROZ
02-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Now that you have all admitted to wrong doing, I will begin rounding you up in the morning, get a good night sleep gentlemen :rollside:
You workin Cal-State San Marcos now? ;) :D

dregsz
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Only problem with carrying these is ya better be prepared to push it through..otherwise your gonna get shanked with your own knife. I got a louisville behind my seat .I figure i can take his knees out or give him a good ear dewaxing and it aint a concealed weapon if theres a ball and a glove in the truck
That's exactly right a bat is not a concealed weapon if there is a mitt in the car too.
no need for a ball to roll around.
The long maglight is safe too. hit on collar bones, don't swing bats and flashlifghts at peoples heads unless it's life or death, no one will die from a busted clavicle, but it will put them in the mood to be somewhere else, like an ER

NOTALENT
02-28-2006, 06:27 AM
A couple year's ago I got pulled over for a tail light out in my chevelle. I guess I looked like a punk kid cause the cop wanted to search my vehicle...I said go ahead. Then he asked if I had any weapons in there....I said yes.I have throwing knives on my steering column, A 4inch blade under the seat, and another blade in the glove box.... :rollside: He removed them and checked finished checking the vehicle...nervously...while I sat on the curb...when he was done he tried to take the knives...I said now can you put the knives back where you got them. He was thinking they were illega, I had him call his superior and was informed they were legal....he said why dont you just start driving away and I will throw them in the back seat.... :D
I still have them in my truck.. :rollside:

BadKachina
02-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Your weapons laws suck in Ca.. I have an Az. CCW permit, you never know what your going to find in my ride............. :crossx:

BadKachina
02-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Having a CCW permit does not give anybody more of a right to shoot somebody that I have without one, so good luck with that.
Having a CCW permit doesn't give you the right to shoot any one or any thing. It only gives you the right to carry a concealed weapon. When you get pulled over and they find a hand gun on your person, good luck with that.

a catered life
02-28-2006, 07:04 AM
J
thats what i was thinking :idea:

Kindsvater Flat
02-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Having a CCW permit does not give anybody more of a right to shoot somebody that I have without one, so good luck with that.
You're right it doesn't. But by having one I am also obeying the law. I hope the day never comes that I would have to use it.

Big Kahunaa
02-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Here in AZ i can cary my glock 19 on my dash or in a holster on my side as long that it is not covered but im going to get my ccw not because i carry mainly for transpotaion when i go shoting people get nerves when they see a gun on the dash or seat at a stop light

wsuwrhr
02-28-2006, 08:23 AM
The long maglight is safe too. hit on collar bones, don't swing bats and flashlifghts at peoples heads unless it's life or death, no one will die from a busted clavicle, but it will put them in the mood to be somewhere else, like an ER
I like that, busted collarbones suck.
Kinda like a broken nose. No more fight left in the dog.
Brian

Biglue
02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I usually carry my softball gear bag in the truck. If I could not get to it in a situation, I'd prefer to get in my truck and drive away. If the person persues.........I'd use the truck. Probably more effective than a knife. :crossx:

ThongMagnet
02-28-2006, 09:28 AM
"Can't we all just get along" :idea: