PDA

View Full Version : Is 23-24ft too small

you gots 2 chill
02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I will be buying my 1st boat in the next couple of months and I am wondering if a 23-24 footer is too small for havasu on a regular basis. Last year I rented the 25ft eliminator several times, and it was great, but the price for a new 23ft Yamaha is very attractive. I will be using it locally at Castaic and all summer at havasu.
Thanks for any input.

THATJEFFGUY
02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
bigger is better !!

little rowe boat
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I will be buying my 1st boat in the next couple of months and I am wondering if a 23-24 footer is too small for havasu on a regular basis. Last year I rented the 25ft eliminator several times, and it was great, but the price for a new 23ft Yamaha is very attractive. I will be using it locally at Castaic and all summer at havasu.
Thanks for any input.
I have a 22 footer and it handles Havasu great.

Sean@magic
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for any input.
Depends on a few things like how many people are normally with you, are you wakeboarding all the time, just going fast, being a channel bum, fishing. Start there and do your research and test drive them. See what's going to be best for you.

djunkie
02-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a 23 footer and it eats up everything in Havasu. But not all are the same. Not sure how the Yamahas handle the rough stuff though. I really don't see a lot of them out there on the big weekends.

2Driver
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd be looking at the degree of dead rise at the transom along with length. I would think at least 20 degrees and up to 23 degrees for the better ride. Most manufactures list this spec. I think the Yam is going to pound you on a weekend. Of course a JC tritoon will eat up a lot of big water too.

Ziggy
02-27-2006, 03:58 PM
My 23 takes it pretty well.........its if the winds kick up big that my eyes get wipe open :eek:

blackcloud75
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
What kind of budget we talkin' here......
Purpose of the boat:skiing, partying, speed, or just to "flaunt"

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
bigger is better !!
THAT IS WHAT SHE SAID

Redwing247
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Yamaha 23' is a great boat. Some folks at the forum here own it. Check the Yamaha Jetboater forum. Very versatile boat for diff type of use, handle Havasu fine (except during the major week end you need to slow down a little when the big boats running) Top speed almost 50 mph and you'll love the fuel economy and ease of maintenance.

Kilrtoy
02-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Mr. Chill
That boat will take a beating out there.
EVERY WEEKEND is a big weekend, get what makes you happy.
remember those wakes will take a toll on your back

you gots 2 chill
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

OutCole'd
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
I had a 22' Cole and got the living crap beat out me every time I went to Mead & Havasu.
Not all 22' are the same.

Cole Trickle
02-27-2006, 04:58 PM
I had a 22' Cole and got the living crap beat out me every time I went to Mead & Havasu.
Not all 22' are the same.
Ditto.
Our 21ft Cole was great on Parker until the big boys came out to play. On big weekends it would get almost dangerous with the low freeboard.
We now have a big 28' Boat that can go anywhere.

UHHH SUCKA
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Had a 23' for a season, wish I would have went bigger the 1st. time around. It was O.K. for a while but when the chop is about 2-3 Ft. in Havasu, forget it. I would recomend 25' or bigger, but then again it depends on what you want to spend.

GMFL
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I had an offer in on the Yamaha and ended up taking a ride on a friends. Beat me up too much. I ended up going with a 27 Daytona, takes everything and I can walk after a day on the lake. (I guess I'm getting old, 40?) :rolleyes:

riverroyal
02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
all about your budget.Go big if you can

cc322
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Mr. Chill
I would have to agree with the above statement. And 24 degree bottom is nice, some smaller boats are made for some thick soup, Howard's 22 offshore Lavey's 21 Nordics 22. On the other hand bigger is better in length.

djunkie
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I would have to agree with the above statement. And 24 degree bottom is nice, some smaller boats are made for some thick soup, Howard's 22 offshore Lavey's 21 Nordics 22. On the other hand bigger is better in length.
And Howards 23 offshore :rollside: :rollside:

76ANTHONY
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Ditto.
Our 21ft Cole was great on Parker until the big boys came out to play. On big weekends it would get almost dangerous with the low freeboard.
We now have a big 28' Boat that can go anywhere.
BALLER :D

cxr133
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
you didnt state your experience with boating.
if your new to it.. the yamaha would be a great family starter boat to chill out on .. teach the kids to tube/wakeboard and the back patio is great for relaxing and it fits lots of people of course im biased since i own one.
i took ours to lake mohave/lake havasu and lake mead last summer and it handled all well... even when mohave got windy and choppy!!! Plus you can go to the river also without having to worry about a prop
top end leaves alot to be desired.... i think 45-48 is more relaible top (MAX) speed. but its a great boat for the money.
that being said if you have the money 60k+... start looking at some of the more custom boats like Ultra.

jbtrailerjim
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
My 24' Ultra does fine out on Havasu. Most of the better built customs in the 24' size range will handle Havasu conditions fine. Buy what you can afford and what suits your needs best.

HMF'er
02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
I have a 21' and wish it was bigger. We don't drive it too much on Saturday's on Havasu to avoid the chop, but its good on the less crowded days. Seems like the boats get bigger and bigger every year.

That Guy
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Mr. Chill
Hey, what happened to you guys this weekend?

76ANTHONY
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
dam, i thought a scarab 22' would be enough, oh well back to the drawing board :idea: :idea:

NOTALENT
02-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I havea 23fter...and it handel's just fine, but im ready to upgrade... :rollside:

76ANTHONY
02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I havea 23fter...and it handel's just fine, but im ready to upgrade... :rollside:
another baller right here :D
i have a 18' ok im ready to upgrade too then :D

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-27-2006, 08:01 PM
I have the 06 ar 230 ho and it is cool for Castaic but the 30 Daytona will be the only boat in Havasu this year. I would look at a 240 Hallet or the Howard 22. Other boats out there are similar. If you only want one boat I would buy a boat that can do both well. I had the Yamaha out in the ocean a few weeks ago and it was OK. I bought the Yamaha because once you go twins it's hard to go back to a single.

NOTALENT
02-27-2006, 08:03 PM
another baller right here :D
i have a 18' ok im ready to upgrade too then :D
Me baller....???? No!!! But you only live once...have as much fun as you can. :crossx: I got a 23fter u might be intrested in... :D

76ANTHONY
02-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Me baller....???? No!!! But you only live once...have as much fun as you can. :crossx: I got a 23fter u might be intrested in... :D
yeah like i can afford what you have already purchased and got tired of, no way. im like a miny baller, ity bity baller, ah hell i got no baller in me... :D

Redwing247
02-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I have the 06 ar 230 ho and it is cool for Castaic but the 30 Daytona will be the only boat in Havasu this year. I would look at a 240 Hallet or the Howard 22. Other boats out there are similar. If you only want one boat I would buy a boat that can do both well. I had the Yamaha out in the ocean a few weeks ago and it was OK. I bought the Yamaha because once you go twins it's hard to go back to a single.
Hey Mike, did you go out of Newport? How's the boat handle and what kind of sea condition?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Mike, did you go out of Newport? How's the boat handle and what kind of sea condition?
The water was awesome so it was no big deal. Not used to taking every swell. The 36 jumped over them so it is way different. All in all it was fun. Yes I went out of Newport and took it past Hunnington a few miles. Wife said no to Catalina. I was ready though.

cxr133
02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
The water was awesome so it was no big deal. Not used to taking every swell. The 36 jumped over them so it is way different. All in all it was fun. Yes I went out of Newport and took it past Hunnington a few miles. Wife said no to Catalina. I was ready though.
NICE..... i want to make a catalina run one day too.
BUT the wifie says NO to any saltwater runs... bad for the engone she says!!!

Kilrtoy
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, what happened to you guys this weekend?
Partied like Rockstars in your neck of the woods

dregsz
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
My 24 Superboat takes 3 foot+ open water without blinking.
And it goes 70+
It's for sale and I'll deliver it to Havasu (wherever that is???) for the cost of fuel
=)

scarabrick2
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I had a 22 scarab that went 75 on radar. It handled mead/havasu and the river with no problem. I kept the fuel full for a better ride and when it got rough say 2' ers i got it up on the tops and powered along at 40 +. although
I have a lot of time driving in the rough stuff for a living. However, I would love a 24-27 footer just for the cockpit space and a deeper hull degree.
Rick

Stoneman
02-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I have a yami SX230 and live in havasu. It is a great all around boat.
I used to spend 700-900 a year on maintenance with my deck boat. the yami is an oil change once a year, lube some parts, all which I do myself in about an hour. And less than 75 bucks.
I got some aftermarket fins for the jets from cobrajetsteering.com, for slow speeds around the docks, mostly for the wife to learn with. She would not even think of driving the 21 ft deck boat we used to have. She loves the yami.
The boat is a hoot to drive, it's like a 23 ft waverunner with twin engines, and I strongly recomend it for use on any weekend. plus I don't suck the seat up my arse anymore when heading up to the sand bar.

you gots 2 chill
02-28-2006, 09:00 AM
I have a yami SX230 and live in havasu. It is a great all around boat.
I used to spend 700-900 a year on maintenance with my deck boat. the yami is an oil change once a year, lube some parts, all which I do myself in about an hour. And less than 75 bucks.
I got some aftermarket fins for the jets from cobrajetsteering.com, for slow speeds around the docks, mostly for the wife to learn with. She would not even think of driving the 21 ft deck boat we used to have. She loves the yami.
The boat is a hoot to drive, it's like a 23 ft waverunner with twin engines, and I strongly recomend it for use on any weekend. plus I don't suck the seat up my arse anymore when heading up to the sand bar.
How does it handle the wakes and the chop?

ThongMagnet
02-28-2006, 09:10 AM
There was a reason you liked the 25foot Eliminator!!!!! Eliminator makes the best boat....maybe not for the money, but they make the best boat!!! :argue:

Stoneman
02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
How does it handle the wakes and the chop?
A whole hellava lot better than my 21 ft deck boat did. It is fine for us I wouldn't expect a boat close to that size to do any better. I've had it out in 2-3' ers and it's no problem.
I'm not sure what your worried about, I would look at a boat for what your going to use it for and it's build quality. The Yamaha is a well built and great all around boat. Top end is 45-48 which is kind of slow if you want to be running with the big dogs, but the boat is very fast off the start, something like 0-30 in 3secs. And extremely manoeuvrable!!!! There is a handle on every seat for a reason.
The twins are fun to play with. It pulls a ski'er or wakeboarder with ease. seats 10 max. 8 very comfortably. Holds 50 gals of fuel with a range of over a 100 miles.
and the transom seating is the best!

Mr. Crusader 83
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Anyone else?
yeah. i have a 18ft jet boat. i go to havasu all summer long. f@ck those guys in their 28+ ft boats. its all about haven a good time. i rock the shit out of my jet and go home and piss blood for 4 days... i love it... lol :)

you gots 2 chill
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
A whole hellava lot better than my 21 ft deck boat did. It is fine for us I wouldn't expect a boat close to that size to do any better. I've had it out in 2-3' ers and it's no problem.
I'm not sure what your worried about, I would look at a boat for what your going to use it for and it's build quality. The Yamaha is a well built and great all around boat. Top end is 45-48 which is kind of slow if you want to be running with the big dogs, but the boat is very fast off the start, something like 0-30 in 3secs. And extremely manoeuvrable!!!! There is a handle on every seat for a reason.
The twins are fun to play with. It pulls a ski'er or wakeboarder with ease. seats 10 max. 8 very comfortably. Holds 50 gals of fuel with a range of over a 100 miles.
and the transom seating is the best!
Sounds good, thanks.

frdvschvy
02-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I can definitely vouch for the 21 Lavey's perfmance on the Havasu ocean. The faster we go, the smoother the ride gets. We have no problem charging the white caps at 60-65mph. Keep in mind that you have to consider more than just the size. The 21 Lavey handles the rough stuff better than some bigger boats I have been in. I think you will get beat up pretty bad in the Yamaha. I would highly recommend looking at the used boat market. You can get some great older boats for the money that will suck up most anything Havasu can throw at you.

Thunder Struck
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I been in just about everything and I think they all beat the sh@t out of you!! Including my own. But then again maybe im just getting old!