PDA

View Full Version : This aint gonna be cheap to fix.

bigmike58
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm driving down hwy 99 in the Motorhome and hit some debris, all hell breaks loose when the inside dually shreads and rips out 2 propane lines and some wiring. The propane lines start wrapping around the rim(see pic). When I got stopped, I get out to see the mess, I smell/hear propane and quickly shut off the valve. I had to cut the line that was wrapped to remove the tire. I cannot believe a manufacturer would route unprotected lines above the tires. I'm taking it in today to get fixed.. Has anyone else had this happen? Looks like it took out the lines to the waterheater, fridge and house heater. Check above your wheels and see if your lines are exposed, Temecula valley RV says it's gonna be about 1300.00 to fix and test...thx bigmike
P.S I know this is ***boat, but a lot of you have Motorhomes and this may save you some money or your life... http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/mikecoffen/IMAGE_00013.jpg

KahunaJuice
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
From the picture, I can't even tell what the hell it is that I'm looking at. But no, thank God, I havn't had and or seen any $hit like that before.

Outnumbered
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
A few weeks ago a lady was driving on the I-17 near Anthem here in AZ. She ran over some re-bar. It came thru the wheel-well and impaled her thru the leg, arm, and shoulder (Ka-bob style:eek: ). Luckily she was not killed. I guess she was actually pinned in the car by the re-bar. That is fu(ked up that some lazy ass did not tie down their shit. Glad you did not get hurt. Insurance claim?

Cheap Thrills
10-03-2007, 03:49 AM
That's not too bad and could have been much worse.
I lost a drive tire one time on a top heavy load grossing 96,000lb.on my way to AL. with a load of saw logs. Yep just slightly Overloaded.
I did manage to stay upright but it took out the quarter fender, and the back half of the fuel tank and lost 150+gal of diesel. Ever priced a 150gal polished aluminum fuel tank? all in all it cost around 4k to fix everything that the gator chewed up :eek: THAT WAS COSTLY!
Good thing it wasn't a steer axle tire. Rarely ever lose one of those at highway speeds In a heavy class A and survive to tell about it.
Good luck with the repairs, Glad you weren't hurt.
T.

LUVNLIFE
10-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Memorial Day I lost a steer tire in our freightliner toterhome pulling the enclosed trailer. Shot me right off the road and all I could do was try and keep it upright. Luckily came to a stop missing everything and everybody with minimal damage. Scary to say the least.

bigmike58
10-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Looks like it pulled the water heater loose and the house heater, Ripped the mounting bracket for the airbags.....up to 3 grand now...Looks like 499.00 for the tire monitor system woulda been a good buy...

Captain Dan
10-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Your insurance should cover the damages minus the deductible, shouldn't it?

catman-do
10-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I had a tire on my last toyhauler blow and it ripped out the fender well, insulation, and bent the reat stabilizer. Took it back to forrest river and they gave me the replacement parts if I was willing to put it on myself. Plus they gave me a new rim and tire! 2 hours worth of work and she looked new again. :D

Old Texan
10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
A few weeks ago a lady was driving on the I-17 near Anthem here in AZ. She ran over some re-bar. It came thru the wheel-well and impaled her thru the leg, arm, and shoulder (Ka-bob style:eek: ). Luckily she was not killed. I guess she was actually pinned in the car by the re-bar. That is fu(ked up that some lazy ass did not tie down their shit. Glad you did not get hurt. Insurance claim?
People do not think about the loose stuff in their truck beds or trailers and these things can be deadly.
About 3 years back a nitwit lost a clothes dryer on I75 south of Atlanta and a father of 3 boys was killed when he hit it.:(
The rebar coulda bounced out of UltraDennis's truck as he doesn't secure things when he's in a hurry.......:devil:
(Note: a sarcastic remark based on his carpool thread)

uvindex
10-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I smell/hear propane and quickly shut off the valve. P.S I know this is ***boat, but a lot of you have Motorhomes and this may save you some money or your life...
I had an inside tire shred on my class C once on Rice Road. Bent the mudflap bracket to hell but didn't do the damage yours did (driving another 30 miles to Desert Center with tread flapping was no fun, however!)
Um, about the propane leak. What happened to you is why it's a good idea to shut off propane before traveling or towing -- easy to imagine a catastrophic fire in a situation like that.
Good luck with the repairs. :)