PDA

View Full Version : Frivolous Lawsuits?

DelawareDave
10-03-2007, 04:56 AM
This seems to me to be getting carried away with frivolous litigation! The judge should get booted for allowing this in the first place. If you are blind, how do you see the computer screen in the first place? Maybe they should sue the computer manufacturers for failing to provide braille keyboards. Next they will want special parking places at Target, so the blind drivers have a place to park their specially equipped cars. Wait, there are more "blind" drivers than we think, lol.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/ts_nm/target_blind_dc
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in California certified a class action lawsuit against Target Corp brought by plaintiffs claiming the discount retailer's Web site is inaccessible to the blind, according to court documents.
Judge Marilyn Patel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California also rejected Target's motion for summary judgment in the case, according to the ruling filed October 2.
According to the ruling, plaintiffs -- including the National Federation of the Blind -- claim Target.com violates federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination against the disabled.
"This is a tremendous step forward for blind people throughout the country who for too long have been denied equal access to the Internet economy," Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation for the Blind, said in a statement.
"All e-commerce businesses should take note of this decision and immediately take steps to open their doors to the blind," Maurer said.
"Target is committed to serving all of our guests and we believe that our Web site is fully accessible and complies with all applicable laws," Bloomberg quoted Target spokeswoman Carolyn Brookter as saying in an e-mailed statement.
Target was not immediately available for comment to Reuters.

Old Texan
10-03-2007, 05:20 AM
We had a new city owned golf course open a couple years back. They have to have a break in the curb on the cartpath near each green with a little handicapped symbol for the golfers in wheelchairs to access the greens.
It looks pretty stupid next to a 45 degree incline 40 feet up to the green. I asked one of the marshalls how many wheel chair golfers they get. He said none that anyone can recall since opening. The course has had upwards of 90,000 rounds at his point. Probably about the same percentage as the number of blind shoppers at Target's website.
Just because it's a law doesn't mean it's a good law.

Hopdaddie
10-03-2007, 06:14 AM
We've got a blind guy at my work that is a huge advocate for this movement. Accessability to websites for the blind. You should see the look on the newbies faces when they see him banging away on his keyboard with his monitor turned off. Classic!!:D :D

Cigalert
10-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Wonder if they would get offended if you yelled out "dog leg"?

jdogginla
10-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Saw on the news this morning a guy with no arms golfing.

CAHotRodBoy
10-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Saw on the news this morning a guy with no arms golfing.
WTF? What's he do, stick the golf club up his azz and swing his hips? :D

sorry dog
10-03-2007, 06:28 AM
This seems to me to be getting carried away with frivolous litigation! The judge should get booted for allowing this in the first place. If you are blind, how do you see the computer screen in the first place? Maybe they should sue the computer manufacturers for failing to provide braille keyboards. Next they will want special parking places at Target, so the blind drivers have a place to park their specially equipped cars. Wait, there are more "blind" drivers than we think, lol.
Seems like all the funny stuff always comes out of California...9th district is easily the most reversed.
Anyway...the news article don't exactly have it right.
The ruling just denies summary judgement...it don't give no judgement on the original complaint.
The target lawyers probably wrote a piece of shit opposition anyway.
Anyway...the problem is when lawmaker write piece of shit laws...or even good laws that are structured like shit.

KLEPTOW
10-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Most normal people wouldn't understand this shit, that's the biggest problem with our society.
Try reading a news paper printed on a Braile printer you will understand there frustration in about one minute.

KLEPTOW
10-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Doesn't take much to make sure your web site is Visually impaired compliant.

Cigalert
10-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Most normal people wouldn't understand this shit, that's the biggest problem with our society.
Try reading a news paper printed on a Braile printer you will understand there frustration in about one minute.
The internet is a convenient version of the store. So a company that produces hadicap equiped vehicles needs to give rides to all the people they sell vehicles to because it's convenient for the consumer?
How about finding a computer that can translate HTML into interactive audio instead of placing the blame on individual companies.

jdogginla
10-03-2007, 07:22 AM
WTF? What's he do, stick the golf club up his azz and swing his hips? :D
He has no true arms.....but had limbs that were about 6"s from his shoulder, so he technically had an armpit. He pinched the club in his armpit and swung. Was hit'n the ball pretty far also.....

Cigalert
10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
He has no true arms.....but had limbs that were about 6"s from his shoulder, so he technically had an armpit. He pinched the club in his armpit and swung. Was hit'n the ball pretty far also.....
I saw a one armed guy knocking the piss out of the ball at the range the other day.
Nobody has yet to mention if they've seen someone in a wheelchair swing a stick.

KLEPTOW
10-03-2007, 07:43 AM
The internet is a convenient version of the store. So a company that produces hadicap equiped vehicles needs to give rides to all the people they sell vehicles to because it's convenient for the consumer?
I don't understand your question
How about finding a computer that can translate HTML into interactive audio instead of placing the blame on individual companies.
Doesn't have to be done by the PC JAWS will handle most HTML coding if done right.

HokeySon
10-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Seems like all the funny stuff always comes out of California...9th district is easily the most reversed.
Anyway...the problem is when lawmaker write piece of shit laws...or even good laws that are structured like shit.
Amen.
The death of common sense.
I remember a case a couple of years ago where they shut down a strip club because the shower scene was not wheelchair accessible -- not for the patron -- the problem was that it was not accessible to a wheelchair bound stripper.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-03-2007, 08:13 AM
That is already possible. The webpage just needs to be written in such a manner as to make it Section 508 compliant (http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=11#web). This is easily achieved by usage of the proper HTML tags in developing the site. Then the end user, in this case the blind person, just needs to find companies that sell software (http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=122) that aids in their ability to use the Internet.....

Cigalert
10-03-2007, 08:30 AM
That is already possible. The webpage just needs to be written in such a manner as to make it Section 508 compliant (http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=11#web). This is easily achieved by usage of the proper HTML tags in developing the site. Then the end user, in this case the blind person, just needs to find companies that sell software (http://www.section508.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Content&ID=122) that aids in their ability to use the Internet.....
But that is my point also. I know the software exist and the compliant issues. In this case the blame and liability is being placed onto a company that has no control over who can purchase whatever PC/Software in order to be compatible with their website.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
But that is my point also. I know the software exist and the compliant issues. In this case the blame and liability is being placed onto a company that has no control over who can purchase whatever PC/Software in order to be compatible with their website.
Without having read anything other than what has been posted here, there must be more to it. All Target has to do is make their site 508 compliant. They do not need to provide the software. If the site is not 508 compliant then it would seem the person has a valid case, the merits of the law/section are moot at this time.....

skyskier
10-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I've never seen a golfer in a wheelchair, in about 600-700 rounds played.
Golfer in wheelchair drives it 350+
http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_196005728.html

MikeyDado
10-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Here you go. A wheel Chair Golfer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5mi0JYNPXxU
:D