PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Plumber question

C-2
10-03-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to remove a piece of 1" broken PVC into copper; the nipple had busted at the threads and now the threads only of the PVC niiple is stuck with nothing to grab.
I have a smaller broken PVC remover, the kind of cork screw looking one.
Do they make one for 1" too?
Or is there another method for removing the broken piece?
I hate doing copper, and am trying to avoid it, mainly cuz there are 5 sprinkler lines above this house main.
Thoughts?

Havasu1986
10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm trying to remove a piece of 1" broken PVC into copper; the nipple had busted at the threads and now the threads only of the PVC niiple is stuck with nothing to grab.
I have a smaller broken PVC remover, the kind of cork screw looking one.Do they make one for 1" too?
Or is there another method for removing the broken piece?
I hate doing copper, and am trying to avoid it, mainly cuz there are 5 sprinkler lines above this house main.
Thoughts?
Its called a easy out..And yes they have them for larger sizes. You can stick the jaws of a pipe wrench inside and turn it. If its the right size pipe wrench.

Cigalert
10-03-2007, 09:32 AM
If you can't or don't want to get the easy out then melt the piss out of the PVC with a torch....you do have a torch...right? Try not to melt it too much to break the weld on anything that is sweat soldered.

Havasu1986
10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Anything with an edge and a taper should work. Just push it into the PVC until it grabs and then try to turn it out. They make a special tool for it, not sure about 1".
Stick to electrical wiring. Let the pros handle this. :eek: :D

C-2
10-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys, I made 4 cuts onto the piece and disassembled the fawker, came out like a charm.
All better now...byt stay tuned.

asch
10-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Threaded connections are always the weakest points. Plastic-to-metal threads is USUALLY not a recommended connection especially on pressure lines prone to any kind of vibration.
Sounds like you've got it handled. It'll last for a little while anyway.

Sportin' Wood
10-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party. I always just melt them out.
Replace it with a Sch. 80 PVC nipl cut in half. A coupling will fit right over the nipl. after you cut the threads off one side. Don't use Mip PVC fittings they break.:D

C-2
10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Threaded connections are always the weakest points. Plastic-to-metal threads is USUALLY not a recommended connection especially on pressure lines prone to any kind of vibration.
Sounds like you've got it handled. It'll last for a little while anyway.
That's what I thought too, I was like huh, PVC into copper? Good ole' KB home, back when they were using those 2-pc 2X4's.
I wondered how it broke at the threads, the vibration explains it. Home is 24 years old....so hopefully the new one will last at least half that long.
Thanks SW, always good info to have.
Just waiting for the cement to set up.:)