PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Rogers Custom Boats Hauls

78 WHITE/ORANGE ROGERS
10-03-2007, 11:44 AM
i talked to roger on the phone and he said someone i forget the guys name had molds of his boats and is going to open up shop in mex-cali .......and start making some hauls and selling them for aroud $3000.00 a haul.....

riverbound
10-03-2007, 11:47 AM
i talked to roger on the phone and he said someone i forget the guys name had molds of his boats and is going to open up shop in mex-cali .......and start making some hauls and selling them for aroud $3000.00 a haul.....
Do you mean HULLS ??
and $3k is extremely cheap. for the most part you couldnt even buy decent materials for that much.

rivrrts429
10-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Do you mean HULLS ??
and $3k is extremely cheap. for the most part you couldnt even buy decent materials for that much.
I think the key to the price is where they are going to be made:D

riverbound
10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
I think the key to the price is where they are going to be made:D
I agree they will be saving labor....but material cost is material cost. unless they are using sub-par materials.

LuckyDaze
10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
that is pretty cheep. Im assuming that is not with the intake set? Gell coat aint cheap either. It will be interesting to see what is kicked out from Mexacali....
~Brian

rivrrts429
10-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree they will be saving labor....but material cost is material cost. unless they are using sub-par materials.
I agree. I wonder who has them. I remember someone talkin about them a while back. 3k is way off the mark. with gel and material I think he would be taking a loss. Guaranteed intake is not set.
78 rogers - call him back and update us with better info.

old rigger
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
you get what you pay for.
If I remember right these mexican 19trs are not out of the original molds, someone popped one off an old hull. The guy that bought Rogers molds at the end still has them stashed away and won't let even Roger rent them back.
And, more to the point, they aren't a Rogers. Just as an 18 bubble built at Advantage was no Rogers. Even though they were built using the same molds, they were not the same. That's not to say one was beter than the other,but you buy a Rogers, you buy a boat built the way he like to build them. You buy an Advantage, you buy the way Harry liked them built. One sits in the mold for at least a week, the other, overnight.
Anyone remember when Eliminator had their shop down south of the border to save on labor? Great idea.

Goad
10-03-2007, 12:41 PM
If you had a choice to buy a 30+ year old rogers for $3000 or a brand new mexican knockoff of a rogers for $3000.....
honestly, what would you pick?

old rigger
10-03-2007, 12:42 PM
If you had a choice to buy a 30+ year old rogers for $3000 or a brand new mexican knockoff of a rogers for $3000.....
honestly, what would you pick?
that's a no brainer, the original. duh.

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 12:49 PM
that's a no brainer, the original. duh.
No Doubt OR!! I agree. If not just for the nostalgia. <sp?

cyclone
10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
dave@ aggressor mentioned this a couple of years back. I didn't think it would ever come to fruition.
The legit Rogers molds are still on Riverside County as far as i know. I dont know exactly where because that info was lost when Tom Papp passed away. It would be nice if someone rescued them and put them to good use. I'd love to have another 19TR.

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
there's nothing nostalgic about it really. They way Roger did things, like all the custom one-at-a-time builders, was different. It was without exaggeration a better way to build a boat. He knew every inch of every mold, lived and breathed his boats, had is hand in every step in the process and so on. You bought HIM when you bought one of his boats. Sounds silly but it's the only way I can think of saying it right now. He knew his customers by name, he could and still can tell you who bought what boat by looking at a picture of it (if it's still in the original gel). He had the most loyal following I've ever seen only rivaled only by Scotten.
Unless they're going to haul (not hull) his ass down below the border to build bare hulls (not hauls), they will not be the same. ;)

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
dave@ aggressor mentioned this a couple of years back. I didn't think it would ever come to fruition.
The legit Rogers molds are still on Riverside County as far as i know. I dont know exactly where because that info was lost when Tom Papp passed away. It would be nice if someone rescued them and put them to good use. I'd love to have another 19TR.
What info was lost when Papp passed away? We know where the molds are and the owner isn't interested in building any boats, or for that matter not interested in Roger renting them back to build a few.

78 WHITE/ORANGE ROGERS
10-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Yea He Said He Didnt Know For Sure....and Yes They Were Using An Old Boat I Guess To Make A Mold.....

George Pataki
10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I purshased one of rogers molds From Debbie christianson "spelling"
Last November
Its the 18' runner bottom jet.
First I plan on laying up a few hulls for myself. and testing them to work out any minor bugs.
Art Delgado who has worked for Earle Smith, will be involved with these first few test boats.
Setting up my new shop as we speak, So stay tuned .!

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
I purshased one of rogers molds From Debbie christianson "spelling"
Last November
Its the 18' runner bottom jet.
First I plan on laying up a few hulls for myself. and testing them to work out any minor bugs.
Art Delgado who has worked for Earle Smith, will be involved with these first few test boats.
Setting up my new shop as we speak, So stay tuned .!
I saw a picture of you hauling the molds back home somewhere in the HB forums and made a copy of it for Roger. I loaded those molds up when Roger sold a few of them to Harry, later went to werk for Harry too.
Last time we were talking I mentioned that you bought the Dragstar molds and Roger got to talking about all the guys that raced them. 148mph I believe he said was the fasted Dragstar he could remember. Not bad. As I'm sure you know that bottom started out as a Hondo :)
Beautiful boat, good luck.

likwidsukr
10-03-2007, 01:32 PM
there's nothing nostalgic about it really. They way Roger did things, like all the custom one-at-a-time builders, was different. It was without exaggeration a better way to build a boat. He knew every inch of every mold, lived and breathed his boats, had is hand in every step in the process and so on. You bought HIM when you bought one of his boats. Sounds silly but it's the only way I can think of saying it right now. He knew his customers by name, he could and still can tell you who bought what boat by looking at a picture of it (if it's still in the original gel). He had the most loyal following I've ever seen only rivaled only by Scotten.
Unless they're going to haul (not hull) his ass down below the border to build bare hulls (not hauls), they will not be the same. ;)
I guess that makes since Rich. I mean If the old one had the "hands on" def. a no brainer. I doubt Roger drug his ass down to Mexico. So in no way could they be a "real" Rogers. Agreed?

George Pataki
10-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks Old Rigger
I was just drawing a blank on the name "Dragstar" And was using the name Debbie told me.
I also own this Dragstar--->http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Johncost95.jpg
Purchased it from MR "----" Rapp. over the summer sorry again cant remember Mr rapps first name.... DUH:rolleyes:

George Pataki
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Old Rigger
I've been told Harry sank the boat that is in the picture above.
Is this true?

mirrorimage
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
now im confused... is the dragstar the same as the place crft boat ???

cyclone
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
What info was lost when Papp passed away? We know where the molds are and the owner isn't interested in building any boats, or for that matter not interested in Roger renting them back to build a few.
Tom told me an ex-boat rigger had the molds stashed a few miles from his shop. He went and checked them out and said they needed a bit of work but were in otherwise good shape. He said the guy would sell the molds. I was interested but only so i could have a new boat. I didnt want to buy the molds and become a boat builder so I didn't move on them. I never got the guys name or address so after Tom passed that info was lost (for me anyway.)

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I was trying to think of the name the boat had at advantage and I can't remember. Hell I can't even remember them making more than a few. We had an all white one sitting in the corner of the shop for a long time at Rogers. It went with the molds and when I went to work for Harry some 3 years later, the thing was still sitting there. I'll be fuked but I can't remember what happened to it. lol Long time ago and a lot of boats under the bridge so to speak. ;)

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Tom told me an ex-boat rigger had the molds stashed a few miles from his shop. He went and checked them out and said they needed a bit of work but were in otherwise good shape. He said the guy would sell the molds. I was interested but only so i could have a new boat. I didnt want to buy the molds and become a boat builder so I didn't move on them. I never got the guys name or address so after Tom passed that info was lost (for me anyway.)
I got you. :)
maybe we should buy the 19tr molds together. I've been kinda (I can't believe I'm saying this) in the mood for another jet lately. ;) That's the only one I'd really like to have except for an odd Tahiti or 2.

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:43 PM
now im confused... is the dragstar the same as the place crft boat ???
It has nothing to do with a placecraft.

old rigger
10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Old Rigger
I've been told Harry sank the boat that is in the picture above.
Is this true?
Could be, and I'm sure it was before I went to work for him but I don't remember the boat, sorry.
I have his K boat crash on tape...very bad. :jawdrop:

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Here is a link to a 18' that Advantage built last year finished in Oct.
http://web.mac.com/m.heitman/iWeb/Site/18ADVANTAGE.html

Goad
10-03-2007, 03:05 PM
the owner isn't interested in building any boats, or for that matter not interested in Roger renting them back to build a few.
then why is he sitting on them? :confused:

455Rocket
10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Here is a link to a 18' that Advantage built last year finished in Oct.
http://web.mac.com/m.heitman/iWeb/Site/18ADVANTAGE.html
I talked to someone at advantage... name escapes me at the moment... and he said they make at least 1 or 2 a year.

Placecraft Dragstar
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Old Rigger
I was just drawing a blank on the name "Dragstar" And was using the name Debbie told me.
I also own this Dragstar--->http://www.arsmarine.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Johncost95.jpg
Purchased it from MR "----" Rapp. over the summer sorry again cant remember Mr rapps first name.... DUH:rolleyes:
That looks like john cost old boat, it says ars marine on the side of it.

76 Bonneville
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I was trying to think of the name the boat had at advantage and I can't remember. Hell I can't even remember them making more than a few. We had an all white one sitting in the corner of the shop for a long time at Rogers. It went with the molds and when I went to work for Harry some 3 years later, the thing was still sitting there. I'll be fuked but I can't remember what happened to it. lol Long time ago and a lot of boats under the bridge so to speak. ;)
I dug up an old brochure from 1990 - how about 18' SKI SPORT / 18' BOWRIDER / 18' TUNNEL RUNNER, AND dont forget the 20' SPORT CRUISER. The 20' was not in the 1990/91 price list but still in the brochure. I heard Roger pulled the 20' BONNEVILLE mold back?

old rigger
10-05-2007, 06:41 AM
I have an undated brochure made after their move to Lake Havasu and only the 18 bubble, open and closed bow versions were the only thing left from the old Rogers stuff. The 20.5 Classic and the Banshee are still in this one but the rest of the line up was all original, tooled in house offerings. Except for the 22 Citation's bottom, that came from an old 25' that was bought from another builder way back.
The 20 bonnie Rogers...good question. I remember the those molds still being at Rogers til I left in '85 and a friend of mine bought one from Roger in '86. They very well have been on loan to Advantage to see if they sold for a short time and then they went back. It had to be while I was there but I can't remember it. :( Never sold in big numbers compared to the 18 and 19 anyway.
I don't remember ever building one at Advantage...the 20 I mean.

Mike D..
10-05-2007, 07:36 AM
you get what you pay for.
Anyone remember when Eliminator had their shop down south of the border to save on labor? Great idea.
I heard a little about this, please tell. I heard they lost a few molds down there.

Dogballs
10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I had a 78 Bonnieville 19' TR capped with a 454 and Berkeley which I bought as my first boat in 1996 with 160 hours on it. I ran it hard for 8 years and sold it to a friend. The gel is still flawless today and looks better than my 2004CP did when I bought it new. I would have to say that Roger is a true craftsmen and his boats are a work of art. Should have never sold it!

RCB19
10-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I had a 78 Bonnieville 19' TR capped with a 454 and Berkeley which I bought as my first boat in 1996 with 160 hours on it. I ran it hard for 8 years and sold it to a friend. The gel is still flawless today and looks better than my 2004CP did when I bought it new. I would have to say that Roger is a true craftsmen and his boats are a work of art. Should have never sold it!
I have a tear in my eye:( . Spoken like a true X Rogers owner. Balls you should track another one down for the #2.

plj/fry
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
george pataki the guy you got that one from is steve rapp he's a friend of mine , also hows that boat running any et or mph #'s

Jet Boat Mizer
10-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Called a Tunnel Runner at Advantage,. wicked quick but goes flat at top end MPH.Needs deeper tunnels to bleed out the air.Lots of work involved to make this boat competitive.

George Pataki
10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Called a Tunnel Runner at Advantage,. wicked quick but goes flat at top end MPH.Needs deeper tunnels to bleed out the air.Lots of work involved to make this boat competitive.
Thats the Plan with these first couple of test boats, Deeper, narrow'er, longer, ect , ect.
Have allways heard that they were faster than a PC but would go flat on top end, allthough a damn good 1/8 mile E.T. boat.
I have the mold so these changes wil be fairley easy to do.
ALSO plj/fry Thank you I talked to steve today.