PDA

View Full Version : Changing professions--need biz ideas.

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I typically don't spill my guts here on HB but I need some fresh ideas and I know there are a lot of talented business peeps on this board, so here it goes:
Well, after 18+ years in the RE profession I have finally reached the point where I cannot go on. I'm burned out on the roller coaster ride in this industry. And the politics at the corporate level of the banks and lenders I have worked with over the years has become a joke.
I've made a good living and enjoyed the work but I need a recession-proof and less corrupt business. I have been through this many times and don't want to starve for the next few years waiting for things to return. Because, trust me, it is going to get worse before it gets better.
I'd rather do something that will pay-off for the hard work and commitment to quality I put into it regardless of market swings and shady dealings.
At this point I am looking for ideas for another business to start for under $50k. Maybe even a partnership or joint-venture? In addition to Real Estate Appraisals I have worked as a licensed RE agent, Loan Officer, Closer and F&I manager at a few new car dealers (way back in the day), etc. I am pretty mechanical and love all the same stuff we all enjoy here on Hot Boat--boats, bikes, cars, etc.
One last thing. I need to make at least $8k per month net to support the life style I am used to and would prefer much more. I know this is small change to some of you ballers but I can live on that kind of cash pretty comfortably.
Thanks in advance for the ideas.

Jyruiz
10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't have any leads or advice on what bizz to start, but I do wish you luck and hope you find something that makes you happy.

Tequila-John
10-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I typically don't spill my guts here on HB but I need some fresh ideas and I know there are a lot of talented business peeps on this board, so here it goes:
Well, after 18+ years in the RE profession I have finally reached the point where I cannot go on. I'm burned out on the roller coaster ride in this industry. And the politics at the corporate level of the banks and lenders I have worked with over the years has become a joke.
I've made a good living and enjoyed the work but I need a recession-proof and less corrupt business. I have been through this many times and don't want to starve for the next few years waiting for things to return. Because, trust me, it is going to get worse before it gets better.
I'd rather do something that will pay-off for the hard work and commitment to quality I put into it regardless of market swings and shady dealings.
At this point I am looking for ideas for another business to start for under $50k. Maybe even a partnership or joint-venture? In addition to Real Estate Appraisals I have worked as a licensed RE agent, Loan Officer, Closer and F&I manager at a few new car dealers (way back in the day), etc. I am pretty mechanical and love all the same stuff we all enjoy here on Hot Boat--boats, bikes, cars, etc.
One last thing. I need to make at least $8k per month net to support the life style I am used to and would prefer much more. I know this is small change to some of you ballers but I can live on that kind of cash pretty comfortably.
Let me know what you find brother..... :)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Now I know I'm not a baller.....Wish I cleared half of that net.....

djunkie
10-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Now I know I'm not a baller.....Wish I cleared half of that net.....
Ya no shit!!! And I live in So.Cal. :( :(

Lookin for Liquid
10-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Two of the smartest business people I know said "son!....ya gotta get in a business that is gonna be here tomorrow!
One is a trash/recycling center owner and the other one owns a portable toilet company.
Bottom line is there will always be trash and crap!

DeltaSigBoater
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Good Luck with your new venture... actually you should be wishing me luck, since I'm in the process of getting my RE Appraisal License. :eek:

Tequila-John
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Good Luck with your new venture... actually you should be wishing me luck, since I'm in the process of getting my RE Appraisal License. :eek:
I will be the first... GOOD LUCK :)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Same here.....

DeltaSigBoater
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I will be the first... GOOD LUCK :)
Thanks, because from what I hear I am going to need it!

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
But I don't live with my parents:D -- J/K
Actually, wife does not work and I have two kids. Sit down and add up all your mortgage, car and health insurance, food, gas, clothes, etc. and it is tough to get by in SoCal or nice areas of PHX for under $6k per month. If I was single I would live like a rock star with what I have made over the years:D

Tequila-John
10-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Actually, wife does not work and I have two kids. Sit down and add up all your mortgage, car and health insurance, food, gas, clothes, etc. and it is tough to get by in SoCal or nice areas of PHX for under $6k per month. If I was single I would live like a rock star with what I have made over the years:D
Adding my stuff up makes me want to vomit :)

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Save your $$ unless you have other income. PM your number and I'll give you the straight-up what to expect (I promise to be objective and not negative:D ).

Tequila-John
10-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Save your $$ unless you have other income. PM your number and I'll give you the straight-up what to expect (I promise to be objective and not negative:D ).
DeltaSigBoater
You should takes John offer and chat. He is an honest streight up guy.

MBlaster
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Can we talk...I'm right there with you. Wife, 2 kids, self employed. I can't scratch my ass for less than 8-10k/month in the pocket.:eek:

Jyruiz
10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Two of the smartest business people I know said "son!....ya gotta get in a business that is gonna be here tomorrow!
One is a trash/recycling center owner and the other one owns a portable toilet company.
Bottom line is there will always be trash and crap!
That is why I work for a wine and spirits distributor. When times are good, people drink, when times are tough, people drink. Now, the might not drink the good stuff, but they drink just as much.

lake p.a.l.
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Good luck John. I will keep my ears open for you.

Cole Trickle
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
That is why I work for a wine and spirits distributor. When times are good, people drink, when times are tough, people drink. Now, the might not drink the good stuff, but they drink just as much.
lol...gotta love job security:D
Good luck
There is nothing out there that isn't sales related that will generate that kind of cash. I have been working in the insurance business full time for 13+ years and the only time I came close to the $$ you want is when I sold for a large firm and worked 6 days a week.(50+hours) It sucked and I hated life so I am cool with a decent income.
Do you have a speciaized degree? If so you might be able to jump iin somewhere at 50K a year and work your way up.
Maybe you can go to work for photoglou selling chevys? Most automotive based jobs that are fun pay for crap.(I had an awesome fun job in the performance auto industry and the pay was laughable)

Tequila-John
10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I love wine....

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
lol...gotta love job security:D
Good luck
There is nothing out there that isn't sales related that will generate that kind of cash. I have been working in the insurance business full time for 13+ years and the only time I came close to the $$ you want is when I sold for a large firm and worked 6 days a week.(50+hours) It sucked and I hated life so I am cool with a decent income.
Do you have a speciaized degree? If so you might be able to jump iin somewhere at 50K a year and work your way up.
Maybe you can go to work for photoglou selling chevys? Most automotive based jobs that are fun pay for crap.(I had an awesome fun job in the performance auto industry and the pay was laughable)
Sales is not a problem. I started my business from scratch--I was my best salesman for the first several years until the referrals started to flow in.;) I have a BS degree in Finance and Real Estate:)
I could hook-up a car job and make the money I need but that is a last resort. I love to be my own boss. If I can't find the right business I will go back into F&I.
Thanks for the input.

djunkie
10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Same here.....
I'd be stoked with an $8k gross income. :rolleyes: :D :D

djunkie
10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Not sure if you knew but I don't live with mom and dad anymore. I bought a house a few months ago. I now have 2 mortgages on top of all my other bills and I live on way less of a net than that. In So.Cal.........

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Not sure if you knew but I don't live with mom and dad anymore. I bought a house a few months ago. I now have 2 mortgages on top of all my other bills and I live on way less of a net than that. In So.Cal.........
I was not trying to insult you. I know people were messing with you about it a while back. That is why I used the :D and J/K.
When you are self-employed and have to pay medical and dental insurance for a family of four it will blow your budget quick. Also, when you have kids (especially girls) you are even more screwed with a bigger house, more utilities, clothes, food, sports, dance, etc.
I was 25 when I bought my first home and had no kids. In that situation $8k per month seemed like the world.

Jyruiz
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I love wine....
Well, too bad you are not closer, I give that stuff away like crazy since we don't drink it. Alway keep the liquor though.:D

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, too bad you are not closer, I give that stuff away like crazy since we don't drink it. Alway keep the liquor though.:D
Will travel for free alchohol...what is your address:D :D :D
Road Trip!!!

djunkie
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
You obviously don't have a wife and kids and braces and more than one car payment and $1 million in life insurance for you and your wife and ............... :D
No on the wife but my g/f does live with me. No kids either. But even with what I net it would be possible. If you only saw what my checks look like after taxes and what I put in my 401k then you would understand my stance. I was simply stating that being he lives in Az. I doubt his house payment is anywhere close to my main one and $8k net just sounded like a lot.

djunkie
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I was not trying to insult you. I know people were messing with you about it a while back. That is why I used the :D and J/K.
When you are self-employed and have to pay medical and dental insurance for a family of four it will blow your budget quick. Also, when you have kids (especially girls) you are even more screwed with a bigger house, more utilities, clothes, food, sports, dance, etc.
I was 25 when I bought my first home and had no kids. In that situation $8k per month seemed like the world.
I know you were. When you find that $8k/month job let me know. :D :D

socalmoney
10-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I could hook-up a car job and make the money I need but that is a last resort. I love to be my own boss. If I can't find the right business I will go back into F&I.
Have you seen car sales lately, they are down and are going to get worse in this new market.

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 03:53 PM
No on the wife but my g/f does live with me. No kids either. But even with what I net it would be possible. If you only saw what my checks look like after taxes and what I put in my 401k then you would understand my stance. I was simply stating that being he lives in Az. I doubt his house payment is anywhere close to my main one and $8k net just sounded like a lot.
I'm not sure what you are getting at but let me just add that without even going out to eat I have a minimum nut of $5,600 to crack every month. I owe ZERO on credit cards. Houses in the nice parts of metro PHX AZ are not that much cheaper than SoCal so don't assume until you come and see what you get for the money. I'm telling you: wife, kids, 2 cars, insurance and you are done. Do you support your live-in GF for 100% of her living expenses?:idea:

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 03:57 PM
So...we are lacking on ideas. Let's get back on topic:D

socalmoney
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
This (http://www.stripclubmanagement.com/) looks good.

MBlaster
10-03-2007, 04:30 PM
So...we are lacking on ideas. Let's get back on topic:D
The biggest ballers I know are guys that have trades and own a business.
I don't know any poor body shop guys, tile guys, plumbers, electricians, etc.

socalmoney
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
This relates to post #29. You are going to see Trades hurting soon.

ChumpChange
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Which distributor?

superdave013
10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
so you want to start a biz for 50K or less and pull 8K per month??
Good luck!
I think it was Charley that said ......
"It takes money to make money, and it takes big money to make big money."

superdave013
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
He'll need to stay out of the machining trade. My lathe/bar loader cost over 90K with no tooling.

Wmc
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I love wine and I live close :) Wendi (Mrs. Wmc)!

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
so you want to start a biz for 50K or less and pull 8K per month??
Good luck!
I've done it once. I can do it again.
Why does $8k blow everyones mind? I know guys that make twice this much and don't drive Ferraris--Jeeeez:D

asch
10-03-2007, 05:01 PM
When you are self-employed and have to pay medical and dental insurance for a family of four it will blow your budget quick. Also, when you have kids (especially girls) you are even more screwed with a bigger house, more utilities, clothes, food, sports, dance, etc..
Don't forget your quarterly self employment tax. That's always fun to pay.:rolleyes:
I always laugh when people who are employees complain about taxes.
Oh, sorry, no suggestions here, unless your willing to dig trenches :)

superdave013
10-03-2007, 05:04 PM
yeah but that housing cash cow is gone now right?
I'm sure it could be done. Just might be harder now. Like I said, good luck. BTW, not hating on you and I agree, 8K is not over the top.

riverbound
10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Hmmmm..Hmmmmm I am close. or can always be close. ;)

riverbound
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Why does $8k blow everyones mind? I know guys that make twice this much and don't drive Ferraris--Jeeeez:D
I know people that made 30x as much and didnt drive Ferraris....of course, now they own 2.

MBlaster
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
This relates to post #29. You are going to see Trades hurting soon.
Maybe some but guys with skills will always be in demand. There are plenty of degreed guys hating life right now.

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
yeah but that housing cash cow is gone now right?
I'm sure it could be done. Just might be harder now. Like I said, good luck. BTW, not hating on you and I agree, 8K is not over the top.
I did it in 1992 after working for other peeps for about 3 years. I rode out the same type of housing slump in the mid-1990's. I've been pulling that kind of money or better for over 15 years on average. Started the business with less than $20k. In my mind, for how many hours and years I have put into it I should be making much more than I am. That is one reason why I am searching for a new challenge.
People who say it CANNOT be done will never be successful.
There are opportunities out there and that is why I started this thread...to learn. Seems most are too caught-up in the negatives on this thread so far. Not much positive input.

RitcheyRch
10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I have no idea but always try to think of something being the aircraft/aerospace business is always up and down.

riverbound
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Sell Crack!! :D

superdave013
10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I did it in 1992 after working for other peeps for about 3 years. I rode out the same type of housing slump in the mid-1990's. I've been pulling that kind of money or better for over 15 years on average. Started the business with less than $20k. In my mind, for how many hours and years I have put into it I should be making much more than I am. That is one reason why I am searching for a new challenge.
People who say it CANNOT be done will never be successful.
There are opportunities out there and that is why I started this thread...to learn. Seems most are too caught-up in the negatives on this thread so far. Not much positive input.
Hey now, I'm not being negative at all. I just know how much I have invested. So with that said, don't get in the machine trade or don't get into something that requires inventory or big cash out lays for materials. You don't sound like a trades / dirty hands guy anyway.
Now a machine tool / equipment financing guy might be a good one.

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree with you, to an extent. The thing is, you sound like a talented guy that can do many things, so making money is probably not as hard for you as some people. I started my internet business, which is actually a trade type business (clubmaker) that just happens to use the internet as the main vehicle for sales, with about $500 about 10 years ago. I actually told my wife, who was my g/f at the time, that I wanted to take $500 out of savings to start my business. My wife is a very practical woman and she told me I was nutso. We didn't have a lot 10 years ago, $500 was a lot of scratch to us. After some discussion, she agreed to let me do it, with the agreement that it would be the last time she would fund the business. In 10 years, I've probably done around $2.5-3 million in sales. It's mostly part time, probably less than 10-15 hours a week of actually working and maybe another 10-15 a week sitting in front of a computer, coding, emailing, listing eBay auctions, printing shipping labels, answering tons of stupid questions and ordering supplies. Not hard work by any means. I'm never going to get rich doing it, but it's sustainable and I've had some years where I've made real good money doing it. Now, back to work for myself nearly full time :D, I've scaled it back to where it's mostly just fun money for golf, electronics, etc, BS stuff I don't need that my practical wife won't pay for. So, can it be done? Yes, very easily, but you have to find the right niche for you and I think it needs to be something with very little initial start up cost. My business, even 10 years later, excluding inventory, is probably under $10k in equipment.
There ya go! Perfect example. Thank you. That is what I am talking about. Let's hear some more stories like this.

cdog
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Good luck on your endevor. I'm packing up and am moving my family to phoenix. (Sitting here at the days inn @ Scottsdale reading your post) Starting all over in real estate after 7 years of good times in Oc. I know it's gonna be tough. But I'm up to it. I agree with the BS in the industry. Health ins. alone can cost 1k a month for a family of 4. Can you PM me your take on the AZ market. I'm intrested to hear what you have to say.
I knew a guy growing up that had vending machines. He made a killing and always had lots of cash. Just a thought.
Good Luck!

Troy McClure
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Don't know what type of business you had in mind, but a former painting sub of mine had problems when he went to quote for residential jobs (I do commercial). The homeowner would ask for a quote, he would give them one, $2500 - $4500 to paint a house (I'm guessing, as I said, don't do residential, or too much paint either). The homeowner, even though he was either selling or just looking to protect his investment, would shy away much of the time.
The guy decided to go into termite repairs, homeowners call, he prices about the same amount as above (I guess??) and the homeowner, more that not accepts the job. They have to make the repairs to sell and/or protect their house from falling down. In addition, once he gets in he up sells them on other improvements, even home electronics and install. The man is doing very well.
My guess, startup on something like that is about $20k, also no contractors license is required (I believe, don't quote me) as long as they just replace damaged material and don't make other changes. Don't know about if any exterminator licensing is needed though.
Anyway, he likes it....Good luck with your venture.
PS, I know people are going to say residential is slowing...... However, REO's are taking off, those homes need repairs too....

In2Deep
10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
There is nothing out there that isn't sales related that will generate that kind of cash.
I respectfully disagree with this statement.

superdave013
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
SWB is doing well because that's his passion.
So with that in mind, what's yours? Because you better really love it to live it.

2Driver
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Good luck John. Wish I could help but you know my profession. :D
Have you ever thought about being a stock broker/financial consultant at a top brokerage like Edward Jones, AG Edwards. You seem right for that. You get your own Biz location, run the location, they put you through the schooling ( fairly short). We had a friend that was in the same spot and in HAVI of all places. She ended up going for it and makes about $30K month and works less than 30 hour a week. Tough the first 2 years but it's an very respectable position if you get with the right broker.
or open a Chuy's. :D

XtrmWakeborder
10-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Good luck John. Wish I could help but you know my profession. :D
Have you ever thought about being a stock broker/financial consultant at a top brokerage like Edward Jones, AG Edwards. You seem right for that. You get your own Biz location, run the location, they put you through the schooling ( fairly short). We had a friend that was in the same spot and in HAVI of all places. She ended up going for it and makes about $30K month and works less than 30 hour a week. Tough the first 2 years but it's an very respectable position if you get with the right broker.
or open a Chuy's. :D
30k a month? Screw being a CPA, I want that money. lol

LOWRIVER2
10-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Look to find a service that does business for counties/cities and/or residential customers, and you have your "niche".
Ideas include:
Sewer cleaning (big Vactor trucks)
Pressure wash-commercial accounts
Fleet wash for trucking co.'s/auto dealerships
Detailing service for large auto auctioneers
Grease collecting/Recycling
Commercial Water Systems (Deionized/Canion-etc.)
All of these businesses may not sound glamorous, but all can be lucrative if started in the right market. A move might be in order.
Look into a partnership/and or apprenticeship and learn the trade. Maybe get your wife involved to apply for Minorities/Women small business loan to get started.
The country is big and there is still room for operating a lucrative small business if you find the right market and have the desire to succeed.
Good Luck

burbanite
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
(I had an awesome fun job in the performance auto industry and the pay was laughable)
Now that sounds vaguely familiar...;)
My hourly rate is, shall we say, dismal...
I knew a guy once who made curtain tracks, like navels, everyone has them...

HokeySon
10-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Grease collecting/Recycling
Anyone know anything about this biz? I have been day dreaming about making bio-diesel.
PS: When I went out on my own, and left my partnership with a big firm, I started with nothing, unless you count the seven years of school and the debt I incurred during those years.
Also, debt collecting can be very lucrative if you can stomach it.

LOWRIVER2
10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
As far as the fuel conversion, there's a small co. in Silverlake (LA) that's converting 80's mercedes diesels and selling them/making the fuel. It's called love fuel or something like that. I don't anything else about it, they have a few employees.

whiteworks
10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Any service business that caters to the wealthy should do well. times are good they buy a new Mercedes, times are bad they buy a new Mercedes. I'm not saying go sell Mercedes benz's speaking metaphorically. take an inventory of your skill set and things you are passionate about. mix it up and be original raise the bar. Never forget you live in the USA the land of opportunity.

talkinghead
10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
There is nothing out there that isn't sales related that will generate that kind of cash.
Wait a second, I am not in sales and make more than that a month - not much more, but still. It can be done.

Jyruiz
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I love wine and I live close :) Wendi (Mrs. Wmc)!
Hmmmm..Hmmmmm I am close. or can always be close.
I am thinking that I might have to have a wine party, had one before when we had accumulated quite a bit. I will start saving the wine and see about a party.

Lightning
10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey Outnumbered, check you pm.

Outnumbered
10-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Thank you all. I have received some great PM's and ideas from this thread. I have a feeling that within a year I will be kicking myself for waiting so long to make this move.
I'll get back to all the PM's as soon as I can. Even with all of the negative BS drama that we find on this board at times, overall it is still a great bunch of people.

SummerBreeze
10-04-2007, 04:27 AM
If you have not already read the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad" it might give you a few Ideas.
Finding something that you have passion for. A business thats makes you money while you are sleeping. It could take you some time to find the right nich
Good Luck

Sportin' Wood
10-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I don't doubt you can build a business with $50,000 investment as I did it with an old truck and a box of hand tools 10 years ago, and the economy was not great. BUT, I had a trade and thats worth a lot. Pulling $8,000 a month means your gonna be working your ass off.
Trades are hurting already. I bailed out of the trades back in March, because I figured I could sit home and burn my savings, or I could waste it injecting it into the Biz.
I am currently looking into starting something else as well, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something that I will not have to run in 10 years. The problem with the plumbing company was that I had to go there every day........ So it was just a job that I paid for.
Here's a bone.
I don't have the credentials to pull this off but you might. I feel that there is a big demand for credit counseling. If you can start something along those lines it would be very small investment with a fair return, if you can sell.
Something along these lines maybe
http://www.daveramsey.com/
Anyone ever buy a franchise? I'm looking into that right now.

wright27
10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
The fact that 8k blows there minds should make you feel good. I am in your same boat.
With all the toys people have in here I thought 8k would be small change to most ***boat people.

lalhc
10-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Outnumbered - it sounds like to me you could pretty much do anything in sales. I would have to agree with others to find something you have a passion for. I recently left the corporate life as a National Account Manager for Sprint to go out on my own. I was making a great living but I was burned out on the corporate life. I left and partnered up w/a buddy to start up a wireless distributorship. Our business only caters towards large corporate customers nationwide (no retail), but we were able to create a niche in the wireless market that separates us from the average wireless dealer. It took us a good 6 months to get going, which was not easy for me financially, but things are going great. Within two years we have become one of the nationwide top 10 Sprint business solution partners. It can be done, so be patient and selective. You may even want to consider working for someone else while working remote from home if the RE business is that bad.

MBlaster
10-04-2007, 07:49 AM
A business thats makes you money while you are sleeping.
PIG
Passive Income Generator.
Example- My brother is opening a laundry mat. They already have connections for commercial accounts so it will make money right away.

4DAY4PLAY
10-04-2007, 07:58 AM
8K per month is alot of $$$...If you think about it the median so cal wage is like 40-50k a year (and thats being generous). 8K a month is 96K a year, double the avg. Theres alot of people on here who either pretend they make 8K, wish they made 8K, or say they do, and are lying. 100k a year job in AZ im guessing is Upper Class. It may be tough for a while, but i work in an industry were we constantly get 30-40 year old married men with children who were real estate agents, electricians, plumbers, accountants, you name it who were making really good money but didnt like what they were doing, or wanted something more secure, and they come in here entry level making 4K a month. Within 5 years its about 6-7k a month, with no extra hours or effort. Put in your time in whatever new line of work you choose, and it will pay off. It may be a struggle at first and tight at home, but worth it in the end. Good Luck.

2Driver
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
100k a year job in AZ im guessing is Upper Class. .
Middle of the road I'm afraid. Need to get "AZ is a cheap place to live" out of the thinking. Maybe in 1980, but not now.
A husband and wife both with a $50k jobs seems pretty average? Add a kid, a house, and life's other bills then try to save 15% a year and you find it's all long gone.

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
I respectfully disagree with this statement.
What field can someone walk off the street with zero experience and make 8K plus a month?
I don't think that 8K is a ton of cash but most entry level managment positions don't start anywhere near that without a specialized degree.
My mom was an executive at NBC/Universal making great money. They start there entry level people (Most with Masters degrees) at 33K a year and there is a line at the door.
Making good money in a big business is temporary and as soon as they figure out how to duplicate your skill set for half the price your gone.(Most of the executive$$ were let go and replaced for much cheaper salarys last year)
Please let me know were I can start making 8K a month as I need to swap carrers as well!!:)

Cole
10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I was in the same position as you...I was in mortgages for almost 3 and half years, made pretty decent money and rode the wave while it lasted...even bought a few properties in the IE, and was lucky enough to have sold them before all hell broke loose.
Just like you are doing now, we sat around one evening and starting thinking about different types businesses...
*curb painting "house numbers"
*construction
*starting an old business again
*buying a company
*even getting a job:idea:
I even tried a couple...
One I started is called.... "X-treme garage"!
I have been working with a couple Real Estate agents, pointing out the fact there listing have great "CURB APPEAL" and the inside always smells like poperee (sp)....but what about the men...whets in it for them?
This is where I come in!!
I pitch to the R/E agent about a garage makeover.....an X-treme garage!
It will help the sale of the house by having a "tricked out garage"! We can even offer a delayed payment through Escrow!
Keep excited...keep the ideas flowing and good luck!!!
PS.....I have been very busy with something else and haven’t put this concept into high gear yet........ So, I might need a partner if this is something that interests you!! Good luck!!

HokeySon
10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Have had lots of clients that bought franchises -- they all saw me after the business went south. My opinion is that franchises are great -- for the franchisor. I have not seen one yet that was a real money maker for the franchisee, but my view is skewed by my client's experiences. There may be some good ones out there.
My only advise is to look very carefully at the franchise agreement and get some professional advice before signing it. Buy the actual business, not the dream.

DILLIGAF
10-04-2007, 09:20 AM
So, you have $50K to invest and want to NET $8K monthly?
It can be done but in most cases it will take years to get to that point.
Now, if you had a million to invest you would have a much better chance of netting out what you want.

DILLIGAF
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I really like the Panera Breads setup and own their stock so I looked into it regarding a franchise. Very pricey to get into this one and there requirements are stringent. I suspect they are going about this the right way though. Check it out: http://www.panerabread.com/about/franchise/
Nodigg, SinCal and I looked into getting a Harley franchise one time. We could have swung it financially but it just kind of slipped away from us. We would have wanted one in Bullhead but I think there is someone else that already owns the rights for the BHC/LHC region.

CNeidhart
10-04-2007, 09:32 AM
That there was only one joking comment about a "Chuy's" style operation in 4 pages.
I have thought in that direction myself, but I hate working. Has anyone put the numbers to someting like that?

AirtimeLavey
10-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Have had lots of clients that bought franchises -- they all saw me after the business went south. My opinion is that franchises are great -- for the franchisor. I have not seen one yet that was a real money maker for the franchisee, but my view is skewed by my client's experiences. There may be some good ones out there.
My only advise is to look very carefully at the franchise agreement and get some professional advice before signing it. Buy the actual business, not the dream.
The successful franchise operators I have seen, all have more than one store. Depends on the franchise but look hard at all involved including what your employee pool will be. That can make or break you. I've known guys that have loved their multi-location Wendy's and Napa Auto Parts. Those are retail examples.
I think most of the opportunities for faster income will be in sales - not all, but most of the best ones and easiest to access.
Outnumbered, I can empathize with your frustration. RE is a rediculous business for sure, especially right now. Most signs don't indicate things getting better soon. I have never seen such an extreme rollercoaster in any industry until I got into RE. It is such a highly emotional charged business. Having been in a corporate setting for most of my prior years, I am blown away at the non-sense in this business. Even many highly experienced and professional folks are leaving. Best of luck to you. Great thread. Keep us posted as to where or what ideas you land on.

Rising Sun
10-04-2007, 09:57 AM
A friend of mine makes a great living flipping burgers at his own restaurant. Something small like your neighborhood drive-thru. His dad started with one and now owns several loc's in Southern California. It's a cash business and if it gets slow you can always give your kids burgers and fries. I have a house in Bullhead City. They need a place like that. Sonic Burgers suck.

DILLIGAF
10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a house in Bullhead City. They need a place like that. Sonic Burgers suck.
That is where I thought of opening a Panera Breads. They lack good eating establishments but are trying to do better. They need to step it up a notch, or two or three :)

C-2
10-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Lots of good info here guys. Here’s my take:
I think following trends is a good way to make LOTS of money.
Figuring out where to be, and when to be there makes you or breaks you.
For example, I make money in a shiatty economy, so yes, business is looking up for me. However, I am already trying to figure out where to be in 4-5 years when the economy gets all warm and fuzzy again. My point; don’t give up on a profession which is cyclical, but can make you lotsa money. Put that profession on hold, catch the current trend, and return to your profession when the time is right.
And TRUST ME, as a self-employed person – all the BS, corruption, greed and politics everybody speaks about – you are still going to encounter those same things when you go out on your own. Here’s a good example:
I offer a great service. But when I’m pitching my great service to a mid-level manager making $40-$50K– you tell me who gets the business;
a) My company - who is highly qualified and best suited for the manager’s company, or
b) The less qualified company who offers marginal service, BUT who offers the mid-level manager a Hawaiian vacation in a hush-hush, backdoor deal?
That’s the kind of real-world shiat you have to contend with.
And lastly, there is no romance in pursuing something you love to do, if it can’t make you money. That’s just the way our fast-paced society works, so be cautious of following passion, as opposed to income.
:)

AirtimeLavey
10-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I really like the Panera Breads setup and own their stock so I looked into it regarding a franchise. Very pricey to get into this one and there requirements are stringent. I suspect they are going about this the right way though. Check it out: http://www.panerabread.com/about/franchise/
Nodigg, SinCal and I looked into getting a Harley franchise one time. We could have swung it financially but it just kind of slipped away from us. We would have wanted one in Bullhead but I think there is someone else that already owns the rights for the BHC/LHC region.
Damn. That would have cool. That's a franch. I would seriously consider except for finding an open local would probably be really tough now.
On a different note DIL, you could probably buy into the Clippers franchise right about now. I'm sure they'd sell shares cheap. Although I guess they do have Kaman to lead this year....:rolleyes: J/k. Really gonna make an effort to not kick the Clips this year when they are down. Sucks that they lost Brand. Hope he gets back asap, but it will take time.

AirtimeLavey
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Lots of good info here guys. Here’s my take:
I think following trends is a good way to make LOTS of money.
Figuring out where to be, and when to be there makes you or breaks you.
For example, I make money in a shiatty economy, so yes, business is looking up for me. However, I am already trying to figure out where to be in 4-5 years when the economy gets all warm and fuzzy again. My point; don’t give up on a profession which is cyclical, but can make you lotsa money. Put that profession on hold, catch the current trend, and return to your profession when the time is right.
And TRUST ME, as a self-employed person – all the BS, corruption, greed and politics everybody speaks about – you are still going to encounter those same things when you go out on your own. Here’s a good example:
I offer a great service. But when I’m pitching my great service to a mid-level manager making $40-$50K– you tell me who gets the business;
a) My company - who is highly qualified and best suited for the manager’s company, or
b) The less qualified company who offers marginal service, BUT who offers the mid-level manager a Hawaiian vacation in a hush-hush, backdoor deal?
That’s the kind of real-world shiat you have to contend with.
And lastly, there is no romance in pursuing something you love to do, if it can’t make you money. That’s just the way our fast-paced society works, so be cautious of following passion, as opposed to income.
:)
Great post. :D As for who gets the business, that's a challenge in all sales in any industry. There is always some level of emotion driving the decisions. It becomes mind-blowing in RE, especially. Throw logic and fiscal sense out the door many times. That's how we got here now. :rolleyes:

mbrown2
10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Ever thought about the technology field? All companies, regardless of the side of the economic roller coaster, need technology..
You need to pick a field of technology, development, networking, voice, internet, etc...and then pick a school and get trained..then get in the field...possibly at the ground floor.
You won't start by making 8K a month, but if you can in a couple years after some experience and if you have great project management and leadership skills. Even with the offshoring happening, good leaders with good skills can always find a job....its about staying current and being a strong leader that can show results.
Once you get some time under your belt, you can go on your own and consult or stay in the corporate world....there are definitely pros and cons to being in the corporate world vs on your own.
Just another possibility.

HotRod82
10-04-2007, 10:43 AM
FWIW....absolutely under no circumstances do a partnership. The failure rate with partnerships is off the charts. You cannot count on people being rational when money is involved. If you must, have someone invest in your company but do not give them control or partial ownership. I have started 2 commercial HVAC businesses from scratch and the best advice I can give you is simply don't even try to start something unless you can survive for a year without making a dime. This applies to virtually all new business ventures. Personally, knowing what I know now from experience, I would not start any company without having a really good account/customer already lined up to get you started. Good Luck.

Magic34
10-04-2007, 11:17 AM
FWIW....absolutely under no circumstances do a partnership. The failure rate with partnerships is off the charts. You cannot count on people being rational when money is involved. If you must, have someone invest in your company but do not give them control or partial ownership. I have started 2 commercial HVAC businesses from scratch and the best advice I can give you is simply don't even try to start something unless you can survive for a year without making a dime. This applies to virtually all new business ventures. Personally, knowing what I know now from experience, I would not start any company without having a really good account/customer already lined up to get you started. Good Luck.
Yup. Had a partner in 1 business before and it will also be my last. Every partner the guy had before me bailed on him or vice versa. Thought I could do better. That is why I have a garage full of speaker covers I cant do anything with. Sad part is, once I was out of the picture, the business we were partnered on, took off because he finally decided to work at it. With me, he did nothing, literally.

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Yup. Had a partner in 1 business before and it will also be my last. Every partner the guy had before me bailed on him or vice versa. Thought I could do better. That is why I have a garage full of speaker covers I cant do anything with. Sad part is, once I was out of the picture, the business we were partnered on, took off because he finally decided to work at it. With me, he did nothing, literally.
I will give you $1.00 for each of the covers so you don't have to worry about storing them***.:D
It's a win win and I can start a new ebay store;)
***Deal only works if all needed eqimpent supplied;)

Magic34
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I will give you $1.00 for each of the covers so you don't have to worry about storing them.:D
Deal!!!!! I am not joking either. Win-win or win-lose, I dont give a damn, I want my garage back!

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I will give you $1.00 for each of the covers so you don't have to worry about storing them.:D
Don't Ebay the ones that will fit my speakers and I will give you $2.00 for each, that is 100% profit.:D

Dave C
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
try to find something that deals strictly in cash only.....:D ;)

OutCole'd
10-04-2007, 12:35 PM
What style & colors do you have? I'm looking at adding all new covers this Winter.
Six 6x9's
and two 10's

ChumpChange
10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I only have four 6inch rounds on my boat. :(

Magic34
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
You guys are more than welcome to have what you need, however here is the issue. I do NOT have the rings that the covers need to attach to. I treid sending someone else to my former partner and he wouldn't sell them, simply telling people tey didn't have them. Well, I dont have them so they are at his shop.
If you want them, you are free to have them, I dont have the inner rings to hold them on and rings from another company wont work due to our screen system. Well.... They might without a screen. If someone wants to send me a ring from Xtreme audio covers of each size, I will tell you if they work or not.

totenhosen
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Why not get into a REO, LAD or SAG group for a lender. I figure jump in on the other side of the R/E game dealing with the foreclosures.
One thing I'm looking into is exporting American made goods to Europe. With the way the dollar is right now they can buy certain high sticker goods from the US, ship to Europe and still be considerably cheaper than what it would cost for them to buy directly in Europe. My dad use to make a good living doing this. (RIP) So I'm looking into it and trying to find the right products and a trustworthy contact overseas. I ahve family there but wouldn't trust them.

Schiada76
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Low voltage wiring, phone, TV speakers.
The worst sub I have to deal with on a residential level.
With a small amount of training and advertising you would be busy very quickly.

ChumpChange
10-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm looking into it and trying to find the right products and a trustworthy contact overseas. I ahve family there but wouldn't trust them.
I got an email from some Nigerian King overseas the other day. He seems trustworthy.:D

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Deal!!!!! I am not joking either. Win-win or win-lose, I dont give a damn, I want my garage back!
Guess you didn't see my original post....lol;):D

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Don't Ebay the ones that will fit my speakers and I will give you $2.00 for each, that is 100% profit.:D
I need to clear a 500% profit to crack my 8K a month:D

Magic34
10-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Guess you didn't see my original post....lol;):D
Your edit came 1 hour after my post. You backing out of your word? :D

OutCole'd
10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
You guys are more than welcome to have what you need, however here is the issue. I do NOT have the rings that the covers need to attach to. I treid sending someone else to my former partner and he wouldn't sell them, simply telling people tey didn't have them. Well, I dont have them so they are at his shop.
If you want them, you are free to have them, I dont have the inner rings to hold them on and rings from another company wont work due to our screen system. Well.... They might without a screen. If someone wants to send me a ring from Xtreme audio covers of each size, I will tell you if they work or not.
Drywall screws & duct tape??:confused:

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Your edit came 1 hour after my post. You backing out of your word? :D
My lawyer said I shouldn't discuss this in an open forum but...... we are suing you for both the Formula and International due to you not fully disclosing all required info and I now have severe mental distress:D :eek:
Please fix said formula,gas the truck and have boat detailed for pick up:D
BTW....Do you and deanna want to go for a ride on my new boat in the next couple weeks?:idea: :D

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Drywall screws & duct tape??:confused:
I was thinking about offering the covers with 2 mounting choice's.
1. a pack of hubba bubba (5 pieces)
2. 6 ounces of clear household silicone
Please note on the order form what you prefer;):D

Magic34
10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
My lawyer said I shouldn't discuss this in an open forum but...... we are suing you for both the Formula and International due to you not fully disclosing all required info and I now have severe mental distress:D :eek:
Please fix said formula,gas the truck and have boat detailed for pick up:D
BTW....Do you and deanna want to go for a ride on my new boat in the next couple weeks?:idea: :D
Take the Formula, and I dont have an International. Cant even get the assets right you jacka$$. :D
Your lawyer and his team suck at investigating. Hope your 1 is as good as my 4. :D :) :)

totenhosen
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I got an email from some Nigerian King overseas the other day. He seems trustworthy.:D
Don't laugh, we jsut had a customer fall for it to the tune of $10k+

ThongMagnet
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
The army was handing out $40K sign on bonus?
$50k or less business startups is probably not a good idea, unless its services related.
If it were me, I'd keep up the RE, and find a part-time job taking care of rental/investment property.:idea:

ChumpChange
10-04-2007, 03:06 PM
The army was handing out $40K sign on bonus?
$50k or less business startups is probably not a good idea, unless its services related.
If it were me, I'd keep up the RE, and find a part-time job taking care of rental/investment property.:idea:
I had a guy ask me for a signing bonus a few months back ago. I told him I don't give out sign on bonuses. I gave him a few weeks to sit on it and then I called him up and told him that I could get him a signing bonus. When he said "But I thought you don't give signing bonuses", I said, "We don't....but the Army does".
He didn't laugh as hard as I did.

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Take the Formula, and I dont have an International. Cant even get the assets right you jacka$$. :D
Your lawyer and his team suck at investigating. Hope your 1 is as good as my 4. :D :) :)
I can't keep up with you!!!
Either way I will be happy with the pimp freightliner thingy and the P-diddy boat;)
My lawyer is super good considering I only pay $30.00 a motn for my pre paid legal card:D
How long is the boat and trailer? If I can't get it into my 48' side yard RV parking area I might have to sue you for your busted ass head cracking storage building:devil: :D

djunkie
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I can't keep up with you!!!
Either way I will be happy with the pimp freightliner thingy and the P-diddy boat;)
My lawyer is super good considering I only pay $30.00 a motn for my pre paid legal card:D
How long is the boat and trailer? If I can't get it into my 48' side yard RV parking area I might have to sue you for your busted ass head cracking storage building:devil: :D
Better hope Jen never decides to leave you cause from the sound of it you'll be phucked. :D :D

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Better hope Jen never decides to leave you cause from the sound of it you'll be phucked. :D :D
No way I will upgrade to the gold membership for $40.00 a month by then;):D
She will owe me big time when it is all said and done....lol:idea: :jawdrop:

Magic34
10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
No way I will upgrade to the gold membership for $40.00 a month by then;):D
She will owe me big time when it is all said and done....lol:idea: :jawdrop:
PPL is having some legal troubles of their own right now.

Cole Trickle
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
PPL is having some legal troubles of their own right now.
No worries I got mine off the tube through Diana Warricks new company:D

OCMerrill
10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
That's funny right there. When I met my wife she carried one of those prepaid legal services cards in her wallet. She used to say if I get pulled over and the cop hassles me I am to just show this card.:D
Years later we still laugh at that. Her company must of made a bundle shuffling that crap off onto their employees for monthly paycheck deductions. The HR backer of that was either real smart or real dumb.
Anyway.... Carry on.

sorry dog
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
If I lived in So Cal...I'd probably consider starting a porn site.
...Hell if you want to make money off the queers then Bench Racers would be a good place to start...probably a good portion of your 8K right there...

talkinghead
10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Become a Day trader, then live like Warren -
Warren Buffet:
*No boats - they are money pits
*Has lived in the same house for decades (that's a huge savings, keep the money in your pocket, not in the RE's, etc...)
*Buy Toyota's - less repairs

BadKachina
10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
John,
why not capitalize on what you do best? If sales is your thing then find something to sell. How about taking some of that cash, renting a lot, getting bonded and licensed, go to the auto auctions and buy some used cars. If your good at it you'll do just fine. Most of the cars at the auction sell below what you can get on the street for them. There are alot of guys making an honest living doing it that don't have any personality. If you have the ability and the skills to close a deal you'll make money.
Like I said, find something your good at.
Paul.

Murray PE 857
10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I have been in the portable fire extinguisher, automatic restaurant fire protection system business since the early 70's. Small start up costs, limited training required. It is a service business that is required by most municipal governments and insurance companies. Customers are a captive audience, no inspection, no permit to operate. Lots of related areas to expand to, Exhaust hood cleaning, safety products, fire alarm servicing, emergency lighting all requiring once again limited expenditure.
Good luck.

Magic34
10-04-2007, 07:45 PM
That's funny right there. When I met my wife she carried one of those prepaid legal services cards in her wallet. She used to say if I get pulled over and the cop hassles me I am to just show this card.:D
Years later we still laugh at that. Her company must of made a bundle shuffling that crap off onto their employees for monthly paycheck deductions. The HR backer of that was either real smart or real dumb.
Anyway.... Carry on.
I have a story for this tomorrow. They are still doing that crap.

Outnumbered
10-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, this thread has become huge. Thanks for all the positive input. I'm going to be putting some business plans on paper next week. I have a few ideas already. I will keep you all posted on what takes place.

WishIknew
10-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I have been in the portable fire extinguisher, automatic restaurant fire protection system business since the early 70's. Small start up costs, limited training required. It is a service business that is required by most municipal governments and insurance companies. Customers are a captive audience, no inspection, no permit to operate. Lots of related areas to expand to, Exhaust hood cleaning, safety products, fire alarm servicing, emergency lighting all requiring once again limited expenditure.
Good luck.
????? No permit and No inspections??????

cdog
10-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I had a guy ask me for a signing bonus a few months back ago. I told him I don't give out sign on bonuses. I gave him a few weeks to sit on it and then I called him up and told him that I could get him a signing bonus. When he said "But I thought you don't give signing bonuses", I said, "We don't....but the Army does".
He didn't laugh as hard as I did.
Bush's conspiracy for the laid off sub prime employee's.:D Who needs a draft with that kind of bonus? :) Wait till move on get's a hold of this.:eek: