PDA

View Full Version : Starting Fluid

El Prosecutor
02-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I have heard the common old saw that starting fluid can damage your engine.
Anybody know the facts on when/if it is OK to use it without causing damage, or what kind of damage it might cause?

Nucking futs
02-27-2006, 05:28 PM
If the engine wont start on its intended fuel there is a problem somewhere. but I have used it on all sorts of engines without damage except on 2 strokes, welded the rings together once.
Good luck
A little squirt goes along way.

Boatcop
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
I've only used it on (4 stroke) engines when I'd just put on a new carb, or for some other reason to prime the fuel system. Just a quick squirt to get things moving. Dumping half a can while cranking the engine can wash away the oil film sealing the rings to the cylinders and cause excessive wear.
And as Futs said, it will waste a 2 stroke, since it dilutes all the oil that lubricates the engine's inner workings.

sleekcrafter
02-27-2006, 05:50 PM
it washes the lubricants off the cylinder walls, resulting in a dry start in the cylinders. It takes some time for the oil to warm and adhere to the cylinder walls agian. And don't for sure use it on diesel engines, that have glow plugs!
Sleek

Rexone
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Works good to fire engines that have been flooded with gas from overzealous throttle pumping too. Just don't overdue it with the stuff.

Taylorman
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I used some on mine the other day when it was real cold out and would not start. Fired it right up. Just took a little bit.

Wally_Gator
02-28-2006, 07:14 AM
In reality it is meant to go in as a gas. If you are spraying so much in that it is hitting the cylinders as a liquid.. That is way too much...
A quick shot in the air cleaner/ scoop should be enough.

Big Kahunaa
02-28-2006, 07:28 AM
i use carb cleaner

billet racing
02-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I have to use it to start my twin turbo motor for the first time at each outing. Fuel will just puddle in the turbos, and won't flow up hill through the inter cooler. A squirt with the throttle blades open, then let it evaporate before hitting the starter. Once its fired, it will stay running. With out it, my cold engine will never fire.
Jerry

Liberator TJ1984
02-28-2006, 08:03 AM
WD-40 is best that I have found on gasoline or diesels that are stubbron to fire :cool: and you don't have to worry about blowing the damn thing up :rolleyes:
I have also used it on all sorts of 2 strokes with no problems , such as a chainsaw that has sat for awhile...
and it lubricates as well :)

NJBA Donut Club
02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
If the engine wont start on its intended fuel there is a problem somewhere.
Somebody tell John Force he has a problem, he must, because his engine won't start on the fuel it's intended for.

Nucking futs
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Somebody tell John Force he has a problem, he must, because his engine won't start on the fuel it's intended for.
Your stupidity is really showing in this post !!
Nice work Troll !!!! http://southwindjetboats.com/forum/upload/html/emoticons/flipa.gif

NJBA Donut Club
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
My stupidity, you mean my honesty. It is your stupidity that caused me to write the truth.

Nucking futs
02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
what is forces engine intended for? It runs methenal with a % of nitro correct? So actually it will start on what it was intended for.

DansBlown73Nordic
02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
A friend of mine says when he was a kid he sprayed some in a lawnmower engine. It blew the head of the motor..... :crossx: :crossx:

Keyser
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I've on heard of that happening on a diesel, but I've nuver actually seen it happen.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I have used it on a diesel, auto and farm machinery, many occasions, you just have to either have no glow plugs, do not use the manual ones, or do not put the ether (it is ether anyhow) in untill the glow plugs have cycled off. Otherwise, you will get a very nice, large-calibre "poof" coming backwards out the intake.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
My stupidity, you mean my honesty. It is your stupidity that caused me to write the truth.
Since this is a thread on "will I blow my motor up using startin g fluid?", care to explain the relevance of your comment and how this relates to a Top Fuel funny-car racing engine starting and some difficulty John Force may (or most likely is not) having with one?
With a good enough explanation, you MAY not look like the idiot you are, I won't hold my breath. I haven't seen a relevant, cognizant, inteligent post out of YOU yet, impress me, I dare ya.

77charger
02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I use just a very small amount to launcha potato couple hundred yards out of abs tubing :crossx:

El Prosecutor
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I use just a very small amount to launcha potato couple hundred yards out of abs tubing :crossx:
ROFL!
I'm on that! :p

GunninGopher
02-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Done that. Starting fluid beats the hell out of hair spray.
The small amount is key. You can flood the chamber easy with too much.
Oh those were the days.

DEL51
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
i use carb cleaner
I had to start the snowblower, 8hp tecumseh, in -7 deg temp 2 weeks ago. I gave it a shot of carb cleaner. works as well as starting fluild.It may have started on the gas alone but after many years of experience, a little shot of the stuff is better than diluting the oil trying to get it started. Either comes out as a liquid but rapidly evaporates. In very cold temps it stays liquid longer and can cause problems.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
heheheheheheheheheehehehehe

Some Kind Of Monster
03-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Think thats fun? Shoot some oxy/acetylene in there. I would use metal pipe though ;-) Trust me, Shit flies.

El Prosecutor
03-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Can somebody post a schematic or give more detailed instructions on this?
I want to try it, but I'm pretty sure I want to keep my fingers and eyebrows.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Can somebody post a schematic or give more detailed instructions on this?
I want to try it, but I'm pretty sure I want to keep my fingers and eyebrows.
There are plenty of schematics on the internet. Try googling "potato gun" lol.
Oh, to not hijack the thread, I do NOT advise the oxy-acetylene as a substitute for starting fluid in an engine, unless you really don't like your heads where they are. :crossx:

El Prosecutor
03-01-2006, 03:41 PM
. . . Try googling "potato gun" lol.
. . . :crossx:
K: Here is the link.
:skull: http://platinumchromatography.com/potato.htm :skull:
:idea: Please consult your state and local regulations before attempting this at home.
I might have to leave early today. . . .

77charger
03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Think thats fun? Shoot some oxy/acetylene in there. I would use metal pipe though ;-) Trust me, Shit flies.
I had my days with that my grandpa showed us years ago how to make our own fireworks.we used them plastic oil bottles when they started coming out poke a hole in it push in toilet paper for the fuse then use a piece of newspaper lay it out so that it will light the toilet paper(Our home made fuse)BOOOOOMMMMMM.We were probably 10-12 when we use to do this it called the cops faster than 911 oh wait there wasnt 911 in them days or it was just starting.They would come and look for big firecrackers search all over while we had a oxy act bomb right in front of them that theycouldnt figure out.

Boatcop
03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I had to start the snowblower, 8hp tecumseh, in -7 deg temp 2 weeks ago. I gave it a shot of carb cleaner. works as well as starting fluild.It may have started on the gas alone but after many years of experience, a little shot of the stuff is better than diluting the oil trying to get it started. Either comes out as a liquid but rapidly evaporates. In very cold temps it stays liquid longer and can cause problems.
Snowblower? What's that?
Is it something Frosty would be interested in? :D ;)

Aluminum Squirt
03-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey El Prosecutor, does this qualify for PC 12020, 12021, or anything like that.....LOL. Sorry for the hijack, I guess this is now the potato launcher thread-Aluminum Squirt

El Prosecutor
03-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Hey El Prosecutor, does this qualify for PC 12020, 12021, or anything like that.....LOL. Sorry for the hijack, I guess this is now the potato launcher thread-Aluminum Squirt
NP AlSq - Nice to hear from you. I am checking in to it. So far can't find anything in State or Local regs. Probably be O.K. as long as we don't get carried away. Probably should start with a little one:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3252Spudgun2.jpg

BigBlockBaja
03-02-2006, 12:07 PM
ROFL!
I'm on that! :p
Off topic, but try auqanet hair spray.....