PDA

View Full Version : % of Bio Diesel 2008 Duramax can run?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
We just completed a driving lap around the USA.
We saw a few bio diesel / E 85 stations around the country.
We understand GM dealers may be installing pumps to sell at the dealer too.
I remember when MB dealers sold Diesel.
A google search, didn't bring up a whole lot of what the new Duramaxs can run.
Their is 5% bio/fossil diesel,,, 15% bio/fossil (Willie Fuel), and 100 % bio diesel zero fossil fuel.
The long informertial on the Duramax with Howie Long mentions the D Max runs on bio diesel, but the % actual blend is never mentioned.
Anyone know what % can you run?
Understand all makes of the new uls diesels are getting 3 to 4 MPG less this year too.
Are they worth it anymore?

curtis73
10-04-2007, 12:17 AM
I think chevy says no more than 5%. In truth, provided the fuel meets ASTM standards, 100% bio can be run with no ill effects.
The bad name associated with biodiesel (and the reason why manufacturers can't get behind it right now) is the widely varying horrific quality of home-brew diesel that is sometimes off spec by as much as 2000% in some categories. Since biodiesel means anything from homebrew used fryer oil up to virgin feedstock ASTM commercial diesel, the manufacturers cover their butts and limit their recommendations so they don't have to cover warranty repairs.
But, good commercial biodiesel that meets ASTM standards is often times much better than ULSD, and in fact operates better due to its higher lubricity, but GM can't back one without backing the other. technically, if you have a fuel system failure with B100 in the tank, they won't cover it, but the chances of that happening with ASTM bio are no greater than with ULSD.
But, the good news is, if you want to use blended bio to compensate for the lubricity that is lost with ULS formulations, a mere 5% blend is more than enough.
I suggest picking up a copy of "Biodiesel: basics and beyond" Good unbiased stuff.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Good take Curtis, thanks for the info.

VDRIVERACING
10-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Our company runs 99% Biodiesel in class 8 tractors. We buy it commercially, and have had no ill effects. No black smoke.