PDA

View Full Version : American flag

ccfdland
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice!!!!!
http://mfile.akamai.com/25581/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2007/1003/14260590.200k.asx

Jordy
10-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's crazy. Can't believe someone else hasn't posted it here yet.. :idea:

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Sure he didn't know it was illegal to fly the flag that way. You are in America, why would any other flag be ok to be flown over an American flag.

Redwing247
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
If in fact charges filed against the vet, I'll donate to his defense fund.

ccfdland
10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
update........
Police, ACLU Weigh In On Reno Flag Flap
Groups: It Is Not Illegal To Place American Flag Second
POSTED: 7:46 am PDT October 4, 2007
UPDATED: 8:35 am PDT October 4, 2007
RENO, Nev. -- Responding to a controversy over a Mexican flag flying at a local bar, Reno police and the American Civil Liberties Union have issued statements emphasizing it is not illegal to fly another flag above the American flag.
A Reno television station broadcast a story on Monday of a U.S. veteran, Jim Broussard, cutting down the U.S. flag flying above the bar and taking it away in protest of what the station reported was an illegal display of the flag.
The Reno Police Department said in a statement that while the U.S. Code establishes protocol for the display of the American flag in relation to other flags, the protocol "is advisory and is not a criminal statute." The statement says there is no sanction for violation of the protocol and is not enforceable by local law enforcement.
Gary Peck, director of the ACLU of Nevada in Las Vegas, said several federal courts have held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced. In fact, Peck said if the flag rules were mandatory, they would clearly violate the First Amendment, which protects every American's right to speak and express themselves, including their choice of flag to display.

Kachina26
10-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow, that's crazy. Can't believe someone else hasn't posted it here yet.. :idea:
Weird, seems like a vid like this would have been posted hours ago........

mbrown2
10-04-2007, 11:57 AM
it was posted yesterday.

Run_em_Hard
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I'll donate as well.:D

River Lynchmob
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
That absolutly disgusts me as does the ACLU. They are going to be the main downfall of this country.:mad:

Morg
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I went to a local restaurant for lunch today. They had up a sign listing march dates & to boycott white owned establishments. My buddy who speaks & reads Spanish let me know.
We don't eat lunch at EL Rosal Mexican restaurant in Reno anymore.

DeltaSigBoater
10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Aside from the link automatically closing my music, to play the video, I that was well worth it! :D
Of course punish the VET and not the business owner who flew the flags. :rolleyes: :mad:

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
update........
Police, ACLU Weigh In On Reno Flag Flap
Groups: It Is Not Illegal To Place American Flag Second
POSTED: 7:46 am PDT October 4, 2007
UPDATED: 8:35 am PDT October 4, 2007
RENO, Nev. -- Responding to a controversy over a Mexican flag flying at a local bar, Reno police and the American Civil Liberties Union have issued statements emphasizing it is not illegal to fly another flag above the American flag.
A Reno television station broadcast a story on Monday of a U.S. veteran, Jim Broussard, cutting down the U.S. flag flying above the bar and taking it away in protest of what the station reported was an illegal display of the flag.
The Reno Police Department said in a statement that while the U.S. Code establishes protocol for the display of the American flag in relation to other flags, the protocol "is advisory and is not a criminal statute." The statement says there is no sanction for violation of the protocol and is not enforceable by local law enforcement.
Gary Peck, director of the ACLU of Nevada in Las Vegas, said several federal courts have held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced. In fact, Peck said if the flag rules were mandatory, they would clearly violate the First Amendment, which protects every American's right to speak and express themselves, including their choice of flag to display.
THEY WERE MEXICANS!!!!
If this were to happen in Mexico. I am sure the store owner would be heavily punished for flying an American flag over a Mexican flag
I am beside myself on how F@CKING stupid the ACLU is. Their goal is to punish Christian Americans and let everyone else run free.
I just don't understand.

RitcheyRch
10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Ditto that.

socalmoney
10-04-2007, 04:15 PM
I am beside myself on how F@CKING stupid the ACLU is. Their goal is to punish Christian Americans and let everyone else run free.
I just don't understand.
The ACLU is not high on my list of favorite organizations but I am all for them protecting me from crazy Christian based laws. Some of those hard core Christians are not far from the Taliban.

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 04:21 PM
The ACLU is not high on my list of favorite organizations but I am all for them protecting me from crazy Christian based laws. Some of those hard core Christians are not far from the Taliban.
I don't see any Christian groups out killing people in the name of God.
Those Christian Laws are what this country was based on, pal.
you should get that cranial retal inversion checked out.

gramps
10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
THEY WERE MEXICANS!!!!
If this were to happen in Mexico. I am sure the store owner would be heavily punished for flying an American flag over a Mexican flag
I just don't understand.
In Mexico (aka south Kalifornia) it's against the law to fly any other flag other than the mecian flag........................

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. That's two of the stupidest posts I've ever seen and both in the same thread. Congratulations.
OK. What was this country founded on then? Have you checked your money lately?

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
It might interest you to know this, but some Mexicans are Americans too. Dumbass.
Hey thanks for the help with that.
I don't know any Americans who fly the Mexico flag over the American flag...in America

pw_Tony
10-04-2007, 05:16 PM
It might interest you to know this, but some Mexicans are Americans too. Dumbass.
Is there a difference between mexicans, and mexican-americans?

cave
10-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I saw that vid in another forum last night. They don't teach this in citizenship class much less in our schools today.
http://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/newsletter/32/StarSpangledBanner...asyou_veneverheardit.wma
To many of us born here and those who come here for a better life this is why this flag is held so in such high regard.

River Lynchmob
10-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Is there a difference between mexicans, and mexican-americans?
Now that right there is the root of a majority of the racial problems we are seeing today...there is no such thing as a mexican american, african american, asian american, european american. If one lives in america and they are a citizen then they are an american...period. The minuite you start diferentiating yourself from the others then that is where the problems begin. I have european heritage but I'll be damned if I ever refer to myself any other way than an AMERICAN! :mad:

mike37
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
sorry Bob but you cant be both you are ether mexican or American
I dont care where you are from if you you dont consider your self
American then go back to mexico and be mexican

Kilrtoy
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Either can I, that is just crazy
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165929

Kilrtoy
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Either can I , that is just crazy
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165929

STRETCH
10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Great video of man passionate about his country. I'm glad he did it in front of the camera as it captured a sentiment that many people vividly feel every day..... Love for thier country and honor for those whom have given thier life in its defense. I wish there was a passion in every one living in this great country on par with his about our flag.
Granted, he may have taken what wasn't his and rendered property unusable, I would gladly go out of my way to "back this man with my support". That video captured a voice that echoed cries of the fallen, eyes that see the valor a fabric can hold and a grip around our flag that would rival eagles' talons.
If the bar owner had no idea that what the outcome of disrespecting the American flag might have been, then he needed the wake up call. I commend the pride in the bar owners heritage, but pity the way he displayed it. If he was unaware to the customs and passion in the American flag...he is well aware now and should have little arguement about his actions.
Thanks for posting that video.
Thanks to Jim as well for standing his ground and sharing his passion.

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Great video of man passionate about his country. I'm glad he did it in front of the camera as it captured a sentiment that many people vividly feel every day..... Love for thier country and honor for those whom have given thier life in its defense. I wish there was a passion in every one living in this great country on par with his about our flag.
Granted, he may have taken what wasn't his and rendered property unusable, I would gladly go out of my way to "back this man with my support". That video captured a voice that echoed cries of the fallen, eyes that see the valor a fabric can hold and a grip around our flag that would rival eagles' talons.
If the bar owner had no idea that what the outcome of disrespecting the American flag might have been, then he needed the wake up call. I commend the pride in the bar owners heritage, but pity the way he displayed it. If he was unaware to the customs and passion in the American flag...he is well aware now and should have little arguement about his actions.
Thanks for posting that video.
Thanks to Jim as well for standing his ground and sharing his passion.
Well stated

Redwing247
10-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Some of those hard core Christians are not far from the Taliban.
You made this comment because you've lived in a muslim country right ?
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Not defending the Rightwing wackos, somehow I don't think that was the case.

socalmoney
10-05-2007, 11:09 AM
You made this comment because you've lived in a muslim country right ?
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Not defending the Rightwing wackos, somehow I don't think that was the case.
If we are not careful, we will be. I don't have issues with most Christians, just the ones who want to govern our country/state by the bible. Sound familiar?

caroftheweek
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
If we are not careful, we will be. I don't have issues with most Christians, just the ones who want to govern our country/state by the bible. Sound familiar?
It was in the begininning, now look what's happening to it once we started to deviate from It.

socalmoney
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
It was in the begininning, now look what's happening to it once we started to deviate from It.
Tell me more. How do we fix this.

jnmc
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jie48FwoYKM :D

H2OT TIMES
10-05-2007, 01:47 PM
American is word that should never be hyphenated

WYRD
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
American is word that should never be hyphenated
I am sure there are some Native-Americans that might be a little upset by this comment;)
Or would you just call them Indians?

River Lynchmob
10-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I am sure there are some Native-Americans that might be a little upset by this comment;)
They should considder themselves Americans as well.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Deviate from exactly what?

Schiada76
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
So Christians are cutting peoples heads off and executing women in football stadiums for wearing nail polish.:rolleyes:
You're an idiot.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
So Christians are cutting peoples heads off and executing women in football stadiums for wearing nail polish.:rolleyes:
You're an idiot.
You a Christian, Schiada?

Schiada76
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
You a Christian, Schiada?
No, atheist. At least I have enough sack to admit that this country is founded on Judeo Christian ethics and has been a Christian nation since it's inception.
Anyone that thinks there is the slightest correlation between Christians and the Taliban really is a complete idiot.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
No, atheist. At least I have enough sack to admit that this country is founded on Judeo Christian ethics and has been a Christian nation since it's inception.
Anyone that thinks there is the slightest correlation between Christians and the Taliban really is a complete idiot.
Interesting. I wonder who taught Christianity to the first Americans back in the early 1400's and before?
I agree comparing Christians to the Taliban is off, but totally understand the guys point about not wanting our country/state governed by the bible.

angry dad
10-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Interesting. I wonder who taught Christianity to the first Americans back in the early 1400's and before?
I agree comparing Christians to the Taliban is off, but totally understand the guys point about not wanting our country/state governed by the bible.
Why?? Whats wrong with the basic principles of the Bible??

Schiada76
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
The first "Americans" weren't "Americans" they were primitive nomadic tribesmen with no country.:rolleyes:
Don't start with the poor primitives crap either, this country was founded just like every single country on earth. What? Do you think the French crawled out of the primordial ooze and established borders?
This country was founded by Christians wheter you like it or not and our Constitution guarentees freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion.

Schiada76
10-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Why?? Whats wrong with the basic principles of the Bible??
Nothing at all except to leftwing loons.:rolleyes:

angry dad
10-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Nothing at all except to leftwing loons.:rolleyes:
Yep!!

socalmoney
10-05-2007, 11:06 PM
You're an idiot.
I am being a smart ass dude, try and read between the lines a bit.
Can you explain to me what Judeo-Christian beliefs are? How does that set of beliefs tie into the modern day Born Again Christian?
Interesting.
Anyone who wants a President who hopes and prays that the second coming of Christ happens in "his" lifetime is an idiot.
I am not saying Christians are going to be cutting off heads like they used to but like the Taliban who rule under the Quran, I don't want to be ruled in accordance to the Bible.
Separatists held that their differences with the Church of England were irreconcilable and that their worship should be organized independently of the trappings, traditions and organization of a central state church.
Kind of what I want to avoid in this country.
Schiada76 I see you location is "hell on earth". True Atheists don't believe in hell. Or should I be reading between the line a bit on that one.
I recommend this film as some insight as to where we are heading, or at least where some would like us to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE
Disturbing clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECP9qzjmF0
$

77Woodbridge
10-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Now that right there is the root of a majority of the racial problems we are seeing today...there is no such thing as a mexican american, african american, asian american, european american. If one lives in america and they are a citizen then they are an american...period. The minuite you start diferentiating yourself from the others then that is where the problems begin. I have european heritage but I'll be damned if I ever refer to myself any other way than an AMERICAN! :mad:
Nailed it! :idea:

ULTRA26 # 1
10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I am being a smart ass dude, try and read between the lines a bit.
Can you explain to me what Judeo-Christian beliefs are? How does that set of beliefs tie into the modern day Born Again Christian?
Anyone who wants a President who hopes and prays that the second coming of Christ happens in "his" lifetime is an idiot.
I am not saying Christians are going to be cutting off heads like they used to but like the Taliban who rule under the Quran, I don't want to be ruled in accordance to the Bible.
Separatists held that their differences with the Church of England were irreconcilable and that their worship should be organized independently of the trappings, traditions and organization of a central state church.
Kind of what I want to avoid in this country.
Schiada76 I see you location is "hell on earth". True Atheists don't believe in hell. Or should I be reading between the line a bit on that one.
I recommend this film as some insight as to where we are heading, or at least where some would like us to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE
Disturbing clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECP9qzjmF0
$
SoCal, I agree. Apparantly only 'left wing loons" understand your point. Actually Schida moved so far to the right he fell off and hit his head. Dane bramage. Sad case :)
BTW, the two clips make me ill. "I want to see them(our kids) laying down their lives for the gospel". ......"Exuse me but we have the truth"
Insane!

FullUp
10-06-2007, 11:01 AM
The Vet took a stand to let this guy and everyone else know there is social importance in how our flag is displayed. Freedom of speach is not without consequences.

socalmoney
10-06-2007, 01:03 PM
SoCal, I agree. Apparantly only 'left wing loons" understand your point. Actually Schida moved so far to the right he fell off and hit his head. Dane bramage. Sad case :)
BTW, the two clips make me ill. "I want to see them(our kids) laying down their lives for the gospel". ......"Exuse me but we have the truth"
Insane!
Sad too because I don't care for left wing loons. I am to the right but I leave religion out of it.
I agree that it is insulting to see a Mexican flag flying above the US flag. I honestly think they think this stuff out before they do it. I hope this stirs more "intelligent" debate.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Sad too because I don't care for left wing loons. I am to the right but I leave religion out of it.
I agree that it is insulting to see a Mexican flag flying above the US flag. I honestly think they think this stuff out before they do it. I hope this stirs more "intelligent" debate.
I am of the opinion the politics and Christianity should not be mixed. Separate issues that should remain that way. There are plenty loons on the far left as there are on the far right. There was a time when born again and right wing were synonymous.
With regard to the flag issue, I found it in bad taste and somewhat stupid.
Since we are discussing the flag there is a Hot Boat member that comes off as being patriotic who's avatar is the US flag with a confederate flag imposed over the stars and stripes. I'm curious how this is viewed.
http://***boat.com/forums/image.php?u=15554&dateline=1187207506
More subject for intelligent debate.

KahunaJuice
10-07-2007, 06:58 AM
I went to a local restaurant for lunch today. They had up a sign listing march dates & to boycott white owned establishments. My buddy who speaks & reads Spanish let me know.
We don't eat lunch at EL Rosal Mexican restaurant in Reno anymore.
You'll be back, the food is so GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KahunaJuice
10-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey thanks for the help with that.
I don't know any Americans who fly the Mexico flag over the American flag...in America
You just may get to meet a few, because you may start seeing more of this in protest.

KahunaJuice
10-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Thank You:) :) :) :)

H2OT TIMES
10-08-2007, 12:14 PM
I was born in America, which makes me a Native American, but I don't find any reason to refer to myself as a Native-American. Frankly I don't see why they need to, regardless of their heritage.

H2OT TIMES
10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I was born in America so I am a native American. I don't find a need to call myself a Native-American. I can't imagine why they need to, regardless of their heritage.

KahunaJuice
10-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Sure he didn't know it was illegal to fly the flag that way. You are in America, why would any other flag be ok to be flown over an American flag.
I heard that it turned out not to be illegal. Is that so?

socalmoney
10-09-2007, 04:37 AM
I heard that it turned out not to be illegal. Is that so?
It goes against US Flag Code. I don't believe it is enforceable by law.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode04/usc_sup_01_4_10_1.html
§ 7. Position and manner of display
The flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag’s own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line.
(a) The flag should not be displayed on a float in a parade except from a staff, or as provided in subsection (i) of this section.
(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.
(d) The flag of the United States of America, when it is displayed with another flag against a wall from crossed staffs, should be on the right, the flag’s own right, and its staff should be in front of the staff of the other flag.
(e) The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.
(f) When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag’s right.
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.
(h) When the flag of the United States is displayed from a staff projecting horizontally or at an angle from the window sill, balcony, or front of a building, the union of the flag should be placed at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half-staff. When the flag is suspended over a sidewalk from a rope extending from a house to a pole at the edge of the sidewalk, the flag should be hoisted out, union first, from the building.
(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.
(j) When the flag is displayed over the middle of the street, it should be suspended vertically with the union to the north in an east and west street or to the east in a north and south street.
(k) When used on a speaker’s platform, the flag, if displayed flat, should be displayed above and behind the speaker. When displayed from a staff in a church or public auditorium, the flag of the United States of America should hold the position of superior prominence, in advance of the audience, and in the position of honor at the clergyman’s or speaker’s right as he faces the audience. Any other flag so displayed should be placed on the left of the clergyman or speaker or to the right of the audience.
(l) The flag should form a distinctive feature of the ceremony of unveiling a statue or monument, but it should never be used as the covering for the statue or monument.
(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection—
(1) the term “half-staff” means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
(2) the term “executive or military department” means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
(3) the term “Member of Congress” means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.
(n) When the flag is used to cover a casket, it should be so placed that the union is at the head and over the left shoulder. The flag should not be lowered into the grave or allowed to touch the ground.
(o) When the flag is suspended across a corridor or lobby in a building with only one main entrance, it should be suspended vertically with the union of the flag to the observer’s left upon entering. If the building has more than one main entrance, the flag should be suspended vertically near the center of the corridor or lobby with the union to the north, when entrances are to the east and west or to the east when entrances are to the north and south. If there are entrances in more than two directions, the union should be to the east.

westair
10-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Because our liberal courts see it as freedom of speech and expression the same way they view burning the American flag which is legal.

catman-do
10-09-2007, 07:04 AM
I think its wrong for them to fly the flag in that mannor, however I dont get why they would boycott "white owned" establishments. If anything, Mexican restaurants need white people more than anything. I dont know many largely sucessful mexican restaurants that made it without white people eating there. Miguels, Miguels JR., Alberto's... These all started out small and became large.... Not only due to Mexican people liking them.... Seems like it could backfire on them in a big way. Get white people all over the nation to stop eating and mexican joints and see how many of them close shop, or scale back to little taco stands.