PDA

View Full Version : The scoop on dogs

Tom Brown
10-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry you had to hear this from me but perhaps this is better read here than coming from a stranger.
If your dog lunges at someone snapping and growling, saying, "Don't worry. He won't hurt you. He wouldn't hurt a fly." makes you look like a galaxy class dick.
People who explain how dogs can kill and mame but with careful upbringing and a knowledgeable handler, they might be OK..... sound exactly like the people who think experience and chronic alcoholism makes them fine to drive at 0.20 BAC.
"It's not the dog. It's the owner." Look, do your best to stop being a moron. Yes, I know where you're coming from but I've never had an owner bite my hand or leg. Several dogs have done so, however.
"My dog is sweet and loves people, although it would kill and eat other dogs unless I watch it like a hawk." How come if I kill a dog, the dog lovers on here would come down on me for being a world class piece of shit, but if a dog kills other dogs, it's not looked at as a problem? There is a world class disconnect on this double standard. Think about it. People love and cherish the animals your dog would enjoy killing. These dogs deserve to live too.
"It's the child and/or parent's fault for the dog attack because the child should have been trained on handling aggressive dogs." If you say that in front of me, I'm going to shoot you with a large caliber weapon and then tell you it's your fault for not wearing a ballistic vest. Anything that prevents a child from walking home safely after school is a problem that needs to be dealt with. Children provoking animals is another situation but unprovoked attacks are not the responsibility of the victim.
-> Inconvenient - pissing, shitting, barking
I would prefer not to have to clean dog poop or listen to a dog's constant barking but I can deal with these things. It helps to know these animals make their owner's lives better. I don't mind a little inconvenience for that.
-> Unacceptable - biting, knocking people down, savage barking from behind a fence or tugging at the end of a chain.
If I walk past someone's house and their dog is straining to break it's chain and kill me, that's a problem.
If I ever see a dog attack someone, I will whail on it with a piece of aluminum bar stock until long after the animal is dead and OGShocker pipes up to tell me I'm being too violent for his taste.
I live in an old neighborhood, right beside a small lake that is at the center of the city. This area tends to attract people who enjoy the outdoors, walking, dogs, and so on. I'll wager I'm the only one on my block who doesn't have a dog. For the most part, I'm not aware that most of the dogs around here even exist.
When a neighbor's dog runs over to me in a friendly fashion, I will scratch it's chin and take a few minutes to enjoy the dog. It doesn't happen too often but it does happen and if I still have all my fingers and thumbs after scratching the dog's chin, it's certain I will have enjoyed the interaction. I love dogs. I enjoy most animals, including cats.
We had some vicious dogs in our neighborhood. There were a couple of attacks. For a while, the neighborhood kids stopped playing street hockey. There was also a dog in the yard behind me that barked 24/7. These problems have all been taken care of. There are no longer any barky or viscious dogs in the area. Amen.
I could have lived with the barking. Actually, it wasn't a huge deal as I sleep pretty well. Knowing children couldn't play outside was not an acceptable situation, though.

HM
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Tim Broom, stop hating.

DeltaSigBoater
10-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Dude, I'm, I'm, I am like soooooooo cooool to drrrriveeeeeeee!(burp)
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_03/hoffXP_468x397.jpg
And don't worry about the dog, he's sooooo friendly!

Rexone
10-04-2007, 09:44 PM
woof
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/dogbite-a.jpg
Brown I told you my dog doesn't bite.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Dr_Phil.jpg

Jbb
10-05-2007, 07:11 AM
We had some vicious dogs in our neighborhood. There were a couple of attacks. For a while, the neighborhood kids stopped playing street hockey. There was also a dog in the yard behind me that barked 24/7. These problems have all been taken care of. There are no longer any barky or viscious dogs in the area. Amen.
I could have lived with the barking. Actually, it wasn't a huge deal as I sleep pretty well. Knowing children couldn't play outside was not an acceptable situation, though.
....Problem Solvers...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40505&stc=1&d=1191597095

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Tom you should've titled your thread "Here's Tom's Scoop on Dogs"
Your logic is flawed, not just in this thread but all of them.. Your an intelligent reasonable person so the picture should become very apparent very quickly when this gets laid out for you.
You have said in the many threads (paraphrasing)
If a Chi WaWa (dunno how to spell it and don't care) flips out it's reasonable to assume a child (or person) can defend themselves, but if a pitbull flips out then the odds are greatly decreased the child would live or an adult could defend themselves.
Logic = Dogs "potential" for damage should determine whether or not it should be allowed to live
Flaw = How do you think you'd do against a full grown Saint Bernard or fill in the blank with any large breed dog) that "flipped out?" How do you think a child would do?
Either case your F'd, kid is dead..
But the St Bernard is the big fluffy dog with the mini keg around it's neck? Their so "cute?"
Don't matter, stop the breeding, execute all dogs that have the "potential" to kill a child..
Shit Brown most standard poodles are neurotic from all the breeding, a full size poodle would put a thrashin on you if it "lost it" and would most certainly kill a child..
So onto yours and eveyone elses next logical argument "they just randomly snap"
Logic = Dog is mentally unstable
Flaw = They pass the tempermant test with ridiculous flying colors beating out that vast majority of other breeds. Real World statistics show that they don't "snap" anymore then any other breed, point in fact it's quite the opposite, THEY ARE THE ONLY DOG BRED TO BE NON HUMAN AGGRESSIVE
Without even getting into all the other lame ass arguments that yourself and others have put up, lets just goto the basics here.
Are you an expert on Quantum Physics or Higher end Math? How about I'll do ya one better, are you a world reknowned expert in medicine? I'll go out on a limb and assume no..
Are you going to argue with Einstien about the theory of relativity? Or your Dr. about the results of your latest X-Ray?
Then why when EVERY EXPERT when it comes to dogs say they are BAR NONE one of the safest and best breeds to own, would you say they are all full of it and don't know what they are talking about?
Want to talk about sounding like a world class dick? Go tell your Dr. he's full of shit, go down to Cornell and tell their math professors that 2 + 2 doesn't = 4, becuase the newspaper told you so.. LOL Of course that's right after you go tell the VAST MAJORITY of Vetrianarians, Animal behavior experts, the AKC as a whole, and just about anyone else with training and experience with dogs, that their opinions mean exactly jack shit, becuase you read it in the times..
RD

OutCole'd
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40527&stc=1&d=1191604611

Jbb
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Look at Lil Mr. .......all....Bitch Slappin Brown................and shit....:D

Rexone
10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
So I guess this is the controversial dog material Tom referred to last week he was working on. :D
woof on
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732dogav.jpg

Rexone
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40527&stc=1&d=1191604611
I prefer a small plastic garden rake and old fashion square point shovel myself. Call me old school. :)

clownpuncher
10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I prefer a small plastic garden rake and old fashion square point shovel myself. Call me old school. :)
OK, You're old school;)

Dave C
10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
I think RD needs a hug..... classic RD :D Way to kick that pot-stirrin Brown in the junk...... canadian fawker.....;) :devil:

COELIMINATOR
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Your logic is flawed, not just in this thread but all of them.. Your an intelligent reasonable person so the picture should become very apparent very quickly when this gets laid out for you.
You have said in the many threads (paraphrasing)
If a Chi WaWa (dunno how to spell it and don't care) flips out it's reasonable to assume a child (or person) can defend themselves, but if a pitbull flips out then the odds are greatly decreased the child would live or an adult could defend themselves.
Logic = Dogs "potential" for damage should determine whether or not it should be allowed to live
Flaw = How do you think you'd do against a full grown Saint Bernard or fill in the blank with any large breed dog) that "flipped out?" How do you think a child would do?
Either case your F'd, kid is dead..
But the St Bernard is the big fluffy dog with the mini keg around it's neck? Their so "cute?"
Don't matter, stop the breeding, execute all dogs that have the "potential" to kill a child..
Shit Brown most standard poodles are neurotic from all the breeding, a full size poodle would put a thrashin on you if it "lost it" and would most certainly kill a child..
So onto yours and eveyone elses next logical argument "they just randomly snap"
Logic = Dog is mentally unstable
Flaw = They pass the tempermant test with ridiculous flying colors beating out that vast majority of other breeds. Real World statistics show that they don't "snap" anymore then any other breed, point in fact it's quite the opposite, THEY ARE THE ONLY DOG BRED TO BE NON HUMAN AGGRESSIVE
Without even getting into all the other lame ass arguments that yourself and others have put up, lets just goto the basics here.
Are you an expert on Quantum Physics or Higher end Math? How about I'll do ya one better, are you a world reknowned expert in medicine? I'll go out on a limb and assume no..
Are you going to argue with Einstien about the theory of relativity? Or your Dr. about the results of your latest X-Ray?
Then why when EVERY EXPERT when it comes to dogs say they are BAR NONE one of the safest and best breeds to own, would you say they are all full of it and don't know what they are talking about?
Want to talk about sounding like a world class dick? Go tell your Dr. he's full of shit, go down to Cornell and tell their math professors that 2 + 2 doesn't = 4, becuase the newspaper told you so.. LOL Of course that's right after you go tell the VAST MAJORITY of Vetrianarians, Animal behavior experts, the AKC as a whole, and just about anyone else with training and experience with dogs, that their opinions mean exactly jack shit, becuase you read it in the times..
RD
Well, I'll tell ya River, and no, this is not a bash, but I would sure rather be attacked by a Poodle than a Pit. Also, probably not too many St. Bernards or Poodles in the dog fighting rings. Wonder why. Again, no bash. Just an observation.
Sam

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
What you'd rather be attacked by is irrelevant?
That's like saying I'd rather be shot by a .22 then a .357?
I'd rather not be shot to begin with? But if I was shot then I think I'd be talking to the appropriate people about the person wielding the gun.. I wouldn't trying to be banning guns.
Same with a dog, if a pitbull attacked a kid I'd be talking to the owner about why he wasn't controlling his posession.
I personally was attacked by Lab(s) on 2 occasions.. My neighbor was mauled by a golden lab, A guy on this board had his daughter mauled by a Lab.. I don't hate labs (gotta admit I don't care for them much either anymore), I question the people that owned the dogs in question? Where were they?
Shit happens, dogs bite, dogs attack other dogs, kids get bit, etc.. etc..
Finding out why it happens and how to prevent it would be a better solution to the problem, then simply killing innocent dogs that have done nothing, breaking up a family from their pet, and basically trying to make certain breeds extinct.
RD
RD

COELIMINATOR
10-05-2007, 11:07 AM
RD, I am just responding to your comparison of the breeds. A Pit has much more potential to kill than the other breeds.
BYW, You are correct, I would rather NOT be shot. But if it happens I would prefer to be shot with a .22 than a .357
Sam

boatsnblondes
10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40532&stc=1&d=1191611597

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
RD, I am just responding to your comparison of the breeds. A Pit has much more potential to kill than the other breeds.
BYW, You are correct, I would rather NOT be shot. But if it happens I would prefer to be shot with a .22 than a .357
Sam
Sam your right as would I.. Problem with the theory though is your equating Dog on Dog with Dog on Human!
Dog on Dog a Pit = Big Gun
Dog on Human = Pit might in fact be a .22
I'd rather deal with a 50 - 60 lb angry little shit, then a 100+ lb angry dog of any breed.
RD

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I've been shot twice with a .22. and still have the slug in my leg from one of them Take it from me , it doesn't feel good at all. The Dr.'s and Nurses at the E-Room said... "They say those .22s hurt more than any other round"
I said , "Yeah , ya know why ? Because anything bigger will fackin kill you. no pain in being dead...
I guess what I am trying to say is that you stand a better chance of survival getting hit with a .22 than you do with a .357
Anyhoo..
Back on topic :p
T.

COELIMINATOR
10-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Sam your right as would I.. Problem with the theory though is your equating Dog on Dog with Dog on Human!
Dog on Dog a Pit = Big Gun
Dog on Human = Pit might in fact be a .22
I'd rather deal with a 50 - 60 lb angry little shit, then a 100+ lb angry dog of any breed.
RD
You think so RD??? Interesting. I always thought a Pit would be pure "HELL" if it were in it's killing zone. I assumed a 60lb. Pit would be 3X as dangerous as a 100+ lb. dog engaged in a Human attack. Bottom line is I don't want to find out so I think I will just stay away from all the mean critters.
Sam

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 02:17 PM
You think so RD??? Interesting. I always thought a Pit would be pure "HELL" if it were in it's killing zone. I assumed a 60lb. Pit would be 3X as dangerous as a 100+ lb. dog engaged in a Human attack. Bottom line is I don't want to find out so I think I will just stay away from all the mean critters.
Sam
Well Sam if your goal is to stay away from mean critters, then you should cuddle up with a Pit, Especially if you'd like the mean critters to stay away from you. ;)
RD

Jbb
10-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Dave.....What are your thoughts on ...drinking and boating....:p

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Dave.....What are your thoughts on ...drinking and boating....:p
Drinking and boating = fine
Drunk Boating = Not so good..
RD :D

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Where does one draw the line?:idea:
With this post... LOL
RD

Tequila-John
10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
i like dogs

Jbb
10-05-2007, 03:09 PM
With this post... LOL
RD
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/op1k.jpg

RiverDave
10-05-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/op1k.jpg
:jawdrop: Wait until Monday's Staff meeting!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
RD :D

Dave C
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
paging bilge idiot.. clean up on aisle 3 please... bilge idiot?

Tom Brown
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
This thread had several working titles prior to it being posted. This was the most conservative of those titles.
Your logic is flawed, not just in this thread but all of them..
Your logic is flawed, with regard to my logic being flawed.
Dave, you're an intelligent, reasonable person too. Most times. :D
Please quote me with regards to ["potential" for damage should determine whether or not it should be allowed to live].
I'd like to see it. In fact, I assert that it does not exist. It is something you have invented and then attributed to me.
Perhaps you are referring to what I said in the pit bull thread:
The point is, if a chi hua hua snaps and starts biting people, the dog isn't likely to hurt anyone and the dog can be easily handled. If a pit bull goes ape shit, the people who survive the brief moment of knine insanity will have to deal with the dog using a gun.
I'm not going to live my life being careful to not make any sudden moves. Fock that.
If you have a powerful dog of any breed, you need to control it. Sure, this creates an imbalance in which small dogs get more freedom than big dogs but people have a right to safety.
Dave, if you (or anyone) has a powerful dog, you need to control it. That is to say, you are morally required to keep your dog on a leash, or somehow restrained when in public. If the dog is a biter, it needs a muzzle while in public.
Up here, small dogs are also required by law to be restrained when walking in public. Mostly, they are not and it's no big deal but my point is that I don't worry about smaller breads.
In fact, my point was, there have been many times dogs have growled, snapped, and been really aggressive with me. When the owner is there, the typical response is to tell me not to be affraid and that their dog is really sweet. That's total dickhead behavior. They need to control their dogs, not the person the dog is being aggressive towards. Try to keep up, Dave.
The flaw here, with respect to your argument Dave, is that you've created an irrational argument, pinned it on me arbitrarily, and then prosecuted your side of the argument against the ficticious one you've suggested I represent.
The dog that attacked me earlier this past summer was a large dog. I really doubt a small dog would have attacked but, if one had, it would not have been as big of a deal and I could probably laugh that off.

Tom Brown
10-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I think RD needs a hug..... classic RD :D Way to kick that pot-stirrin Brown in the junk...... canadian fawker.....;) :devil:
It would seem you have tied your fortunes to RD in this discussion. As I see it, that would put you on pretty sterile soil, right about now.

rivergoer
10-05-2007, 07:44 PM
hey hey hey i have a dobbie and well i know she will bite the hell outta sombody one day...guess i should put all my possessions in sombodyelses name huh:( :D :confused:

repo man
10-05-2007, 08:26 PM
hey you watch the news you should know to stay the hell away from my dangerous dogs. if you get bit your stupid. would you try to pet a king cobra. please if you see one of my dogs run away.

maxwedge
10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Just wondering what your feeling is when your 90 lb dog is attacked by the neighbors cat? I only mention it because the cat we had when I was a kid, tore the hell out of the neighbor's doberman in a fight and frequently used to chase a different neighbors chihuahua around the yard, not to mention all the ass kickings she handed out to the other neighborhood cats, birds and mice. One of the neighbors actually came over and asked us to please keep our cat inside.:D

repo man
10-05-2007, 10:09 PM
dude no shit! my moms cat straight dropped my pit a beating. he wont as much as look at that cat now.

Tom Brown
10-06-2007, 06:18 AM
One of the neighbors actually came over and asked us to please keep our cat inside.:D
I'm with your neighbors on that one.
It seems to me, domestication implies civility. In other words, no person, dog, or cat should get beaten up.
If your neighbor's dog is in it's back yard playing, it shouldn't have to worry about being beaten up.
If this were an eccosystem in the wilderness, this would be a completely different discussion.

Cigalert
10-06-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm with your neighbors on that one.
It seems to me, domestication implies civility. In other words, no person, dog, or cat should get beaten up.
If your neighbor's dog is in it's back yard playing, it shouldn't have to worry about being beaten up.
If this were an eccosystem in the wilderness, this would be a completely different discussion.
Your reasoning regarding "domestication implies civilty" is flawed. Domestication is what illegals are trying to do around here and they lack a few civility bones in their domestic structure and should be beaten up. Even if they are playing in their own backyards.

Rexone
10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Tom what are your thoughts on coyotes or bobcats coming into one's yard and beating up domestic dogs? I keep my dogs in a very large coyote proof dog pen when I'm not home to keep them safe but after reading your post am feeling like by dogs are victims for not being able to play freely as they would like to. Should I start shooting coyotes and bobcats, get rid of my dogs, or just be quiet and suck it up?
I purchased my home with the understanding it was a civilized area with the reasonable expectation of safety. Now these wild animals are invading my space. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/732huh.gif Perhaps I should speak with BNB on this since I guess technically God is these wild animals owner who seems to not be doing a good job in this case. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/732violin.gif
btw we don't have too many "outside" cats in our neighborhood. ;)
:)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thumbs/732stirthepot.gif
Congratulations on your new Jeep purchase btw.

Big Warlock
10-06-2007, 11:45 AM
We have a big dog and she's pretty mean. She's only there to wake me up to tell me the "party's" on!!! I'll keep my dog. My advice is don't come over! :D

Tom Brown
10-06-2007, 01:36 PM
I keep my dogs in a very large coyote proof dog pen when I'm not home to keep them safe but after reading your post am feeling like by dogs are victims for not being able to play freely as they would like to.
When people hear I don't have a dog, and would never have a dog, they often assume I don't like animals. In fact, it's the opposite. I've dog-sat and enjoyed it to no end.
The last time I dog sat for a girlfriend, the dog could barely keep it's eyes open when she returned to her owner. The dog and I spent the weekend outside walking, running, and enjoying the out doors.
One of the reasons I don't keep a dog is that a dog would have a lousy life with me most of the time. With the hours I work and my lifestyle, I would hate myself for owning a dog.
I guess what it comes down to is the question, how much freedom and attention are enough to make a dog's life worthwhile? I don't have an answer to that question. There are definitely dogs that are crazy happy and I love to see that. I'm not sure much else matters all that much.
Should I start shooting coyotes and bobcats, get rid of my dogs, or just be quiet and suck it up?
You can't go wrong with the latter.
I understand that sometimes wild animals put people in danger and there are circumstances in which they need to be killed but I'm glad I don't have to do it. I'm not positive I could.
I'll tell you what, I've seen bears, both brown and black, elk, fox, coyote, badger, and on and on. I've been on multi-day hikes in wilderness that few other people have hiked. I've never been attacked by a wild animal. The only animals that have ever attacked me have been domestic dogs.
I purchased my home with the understanding it was a civilized area with the reasonable expectation of safety. Now these wild animals are invading my space.
I feel that pet owners have a responsibility to their animals to keep them reasonably safe. Shit happens but when you domesticate an animal, you take on the responsibility that goes with it.
btw we don't have too many "outside" cats in our neighborhood. ;)
We do.
There are hundreds around here. Worse than the cat problem, by far, is the rabbit problem. People feed the rabbits and there are hundreds of thousands of them in or around the city. It's a full on infestation but they are kind of cute.
Look, I'll try to dumb this down so it is more easily comprehended.
Why can't I drive some 10" railroad spikes into the end of a 2x4 piece of wood and then smash people in the face with it? It might be a fantastic stress relief for me.
The reason I can't do this is because our society values personal safety. We have created significant penalties for these sort of acts of aggression. You know... assault... assault with a weapon... and so on. In fact, you can't even threaten to hurt someone without being in violation of the law and in danger of a significant penalty.
When you introduce an animal into society, that animal is subject to many of the same rules, and for good reason. When a dog is growling with bared teeth, crouched ready to pounce, and snapping, that is a threat. This is not acceptable behavior in our society.
If a dog is in danger, I feel we have some obligation to protect it, in a similar way to how we should protect a person, if they are in danger.
The general idea behind our society is that nobody is supposed to hurt anybody else, deliberately or otherwise. It's basic.
This is why it's asshole behavior to tell someone how sweet your dog is when the dog is growling and snapping. The emotions the dog is experiencing are not relevant to the immediate situation. If your dog is threatening someone, you need to control your dog. If you can't control your dog, the dog needs to be removed from the situation.
If it comes down to every pet for itself, I'll get myself a cobra to take out the mean dogs. When people get upset because they got tagged or their pet was killed by the cobra, I'll just say, "Look... it's a cobra.... that's what they do. Don't you watch re-runs of the Crocodile Hunter?"
Mike, I won't comment directly on your wild animal question. Because it has nothing to do with society, I'll just enjoy the gayness of the comment for a few moments and then let it go. :D

Jbb
10-06-2007, 02:05 PM
OK, I'll shoot the shit with you. At least with you, I know you're joking.
When people hear I don't have a dog, and would never have a dog, they often assume I don't like animals. In fact, it's the opposite. I've dog-sat and enjoyed it to no end.
The last time I dog sat for a girlfriend, the dog could barely keep it's eyes open when she returned to her owner. The dog and I spent the weekend outside walking, running, and enjoying the out doors.
One of the reasons I don't keep a dog is that a dog would have a lousy life with me most of the time. With the hours I work and my lifestyle, I would hate myself for owning a dog.
I guess what it comes down to is the question, how much freedom and attention are enough to make a dog's life worthwhile? I don't have an answer to that question. There are definitely dogs that are crazy happy and I love to see that. I'm not sure much else matters all that much.
You can't go wrong with the latter.
I understand that sometimes wild animals put people in danger and there are circumstances in which they need to be killed but I'm glad I don't have to do it. I'm not positive I could.
I'll tell you what, I've seen bears, both brown and black, elk, fox, coyote, badger, and on and on. I've been on multi-day hikes in wilderness that few other people have hiked. I've never been attacked by a wild animal. The only animals that have ever attacked me have been domestic dogs.
I feel that pet owners have a responsibility to their animals to keep them reasonably safe. Shit happens but when you domesticate an animal, you take on the responsibility that goes with it.
We do.
There are hundreds around here. Worse than the cat problem, by far, is the rabbit problem. People feed the rabbits and there are hundreds of thousands of them in or around the city. It's a full on infestation but they are kind of cute.
Look, I'll try to dumb this down so it is more easily comprehended.
Why can't I drive some 10" railroad spikes into the end of a 2x4 piece of wood and then smash people in the face with it? It might be a fantastic stress relief for me.
The reason I can't do this is because our society values personal safety. We have created significant penalties for these sort of acts of aggression. You know... assault... assault with a weapon... and so on. In fact, you can't even threaten to hurt someone without being in violation of the law and in danger of a significant penalty.
When you introduce an animal into society, that animal is subject to many of the same rules, and for good reason. When a dog is growling with bared teeth, crouched ready to pounce, and snapping, that is a threat. This is not acceptable behavior in our society.
If a dog is in danger, I feel we have some obligation to protect it, in a similar way to how we should protect a person, if they are in danger.
The general idea behind our society is that nobody is supposed to hurt anybody else, deliberately or otherwise. It's basic.
This is why it's asshole behavior to tell someone how sweet your dog is when the dog is growling and snapping. The emotions the dog is experiencing are not relevant to the immediate situation. If your dog is threatening someone, you need to control your dog. If you can't control your dog, the dog needs to be removed from the situation.
If it comes down to every pet for itself, I'll get myself a cobra to take out the mean dogs. When people get upset because they got tagged or their pet was killed by the cobra, I'll just say, "Look... it's a cobra.... that's what they do. Don't you watch re-runs of the Crocodile Hunter?"
Mike, I won't comment directly on your wild animal question. Because it has nothing to do with society, I'll just enjoy the gayness of the comment for a few moments and then let it go. :D
Brown....Shut the F**k up....:D