PDA

View Full Version : Question about ride plates...

Scarab Jet
10-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Question that I appreciate anyone's response to...
How do U decide how long and wide the ride plate should be?
And... are the bent-up edges on [on the sides of] some of the ride plates that I've seen... for strength or is there another reason for them?
Thanx in advance...

MikeF
10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
The plates are usually just as wide as the skeg width on the intake (maybe just a hair wider......for what purpose.....?)
If you look at nearly any pump/rideplate setup on a MPD modified boat......that's pretty much how it should be done.
He has been around long enough to have tried everything. Sooooo, what he does today has already been proven to be all the boat really needs. :) (but I'm sure he still tries some minor changes ;) )

widowmaker
10-05-2007, 08:55 PM
at 80 plus you would be surprised how much that 1/4 aluminum bends..... the sides are for support from flexing. From what I've heard 18 to 19 inches is what the plate should be length wise.

MudPumper
10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
If you want to go really fast, you need to Dimple the bottom of the ride plate like a golf ball. Cyclone should be able to post some data on this. :D He also invented the first ever Jettison system for a rideplate.

RCB19
10-05-2007, 10:08 PM
If you want to go really fast, you need to Dimple the bottom of the ride plate like a golf ball. Cyclone should be able to post some data on this. :D He also invented the first ever Jettison system for a rideplate.
Ooouhh!! :squiggle:

bp
10-06-2007, 08:12 AM
1/2" aluminum doesn't seem to bend at all compared to 1/4":)