PDA

View Full Version : Night Blooming Cereus ?

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Anybody have night blooming Cereus ? I have 4 I have been working on saving for 5 years. The things were about dead when I got to them. The climate here in the mountains isn't the best for them and I guess that's the reason why they are so difficult to handle. Being a desert plant related to the Cacti family I figured you guys may have them and maybe a few pointers in helping them along. This is the first year that I've been dragging them in and out of the house season after season that they have bloomed. Beautiful Flower and the aroma is beyond description. the whole yard 1.5 acre smells good.
I'm amazed that I haven't killed them. I've never professed to having a green thumb. :D
Here's a pic of one of the blooms.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/100_03091.JPG
T.

Garrddogg
10-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Yup I had them a my old house and it was probably 45 years old, It was huge and when it would bloom it could be 20 to 30 flower blooms and the next morning they would all droop and then fall off, couldnt kill it and it just kept going..:D

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Yup I had them a my old house and it was probably 45 years old, It was huge and when it would bloom it could be 20 to 30 flower blooms and the next morning they would all droop and then fall off, couldnt kill it and it just kept going..:D
Must be the hot arid climate there. This mountain air is humid most years. Maybe I watered them too much in the previous years. My aunt suggested I leave the pots in a 5 gal. bucket while they were out, and water just stood in them like a swamp. I figured since they were her plants she knew.
The things were looking pitiful
I left them alone this year out of the buckets and it has been dry. I wasn't sure what it was when I started trying to revive them. Tropical, Sub Tropic, Arctic , Desert, Swamp. Now that I know hot dry no water maybe next year I'll have a killer season. They have to be the most fragrant flower I have ever been around. Niiiice..;)
T.

Garrddogg
10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah I would hardly ever water them.