PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Are A Costly Pain In The Ass Sometimes !

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
This is a long one please bear with me..........
My neighbor has been after me to sell him my old truck all summer.
1968 Chevy SWB Step Side , small rear window. rare for a 68 350/4sp.
4.11 gear, period correct 6 lug, Slotted mags. Good Tires no rust semi straight nice old truck with alot of potential.
I refused to sell it to him because it's an old truck and I would probably be the one that ended up working on it and I am so tired of working on vehicles.
I've had this old truck for 15 years and it has been a great workhorse that has hauled anything I've put in or behind it. But it does have it's little quirks and since the guy isn't mechanically inclined I was really worried about selling it to him and told him so.
So the other day I was up visiting , having a beer and were discussing a motor home down the road that he's interested in for 7k and we go look at it. and the subject comes up again about selling the truck to him. At this point I am ready to sell it to him just to shut him up, I give him a price of $2,100.00 drive it home. He kinda hem haws around about it like I was suppose to give him the damn thing for nothing. I knew of another truck down the road from the MoHo we were just looking at. Same year same short wheel base step side but worse shape at a car lot for $3,500 and took him to look at it.
The paint is nicer but not by much, the bed is gutted no wood, rusty crap wheels, jerry rigged automatic trans, and the interior smells like rat piss and dead squirrels. :yuk:
$2,100.00 is not a bad deal for mine for what it is. And he agrees. And I figure since he's looking a 7k MoHo he could afford my truck. He has a pull behind camper already and doesn't really need a MoHo. hence the reason for wanting my truck.
The Very Next Day a different guy pulls up in the driveway and inquires about the truck. I told him about my neighbor wanting it and I had priced it to him for 2100. I could have sold it then and there to him but my neighbor was first in line and I couldn't sell it out from under him being the nice guy I am.
So I shook the second guys hand and thanked him for stopping by.
I emailed my neighbor that night and told him to come get the truck.
He calls me on the phone the next day and tells me he's backing out saying he can't afford it right now, and not sure if and when he can swing it.
I said WHAT ? Do you realize you just cost me 2Gs I could have sold it yesterday but I was saving it for you since you were so persistent about buying it all summer. WERE DONE Click! I hang up mad as hell.
This isn't the first time I have gone out of my way for a neighbor/friend only to get the shit end of the stick.
So where do you guys draw the line with friends and money?
Do any of you ever go out of your way for a neighbor/friend and feel like you've been taken advantage of or "Played". I'm so tired of this kind of crap.
I keep my friend list short just because of a history of this type thing.
It seems like everyone I come in contact with takes advantage of my giving nature.
I'm ready to say FTW.
Rant Over.
T.

OCMerrill
10-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Kick your neighbor in the junk, paint a pink stripe on it and call it good.:D :D
Seriously though I hate it when anyone talks smack and especially a neighbor. What a big waste of time. Those trucks are actually worth a little money even in an un-restored state. Get a copy of Hemmings and run an add.
My .02 (only worth .005 though):D

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Kick your neighbor in the junk, paint a pink stripe on it and call it good.:D :D
Pink Stripe :D I wanted to kick em in the junk at the time of the phone call and I would have if he had been face to face with me. I know the old truck would sell if I placed an add. I wasn't really interested in selling it but being a little short on cash and going in for surgery in a couple weeks
(another story and no not major) I saw it as a way to make a little dough to help pay for that mess.
I just hate trying to do a good deed and end up looking/feeling like a fool.
I should write a frickin book.
I do a lot of computer work for the guy, and his room mate mostly for free,
I figured that karma would come back around but nooooo.. Seems Karma schmarma never goes all the way around the block. maybe I should run the other way. :idea:
T.

OCMerrill
10-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Seems Karma schmarma never goes all the way around the block. maybe I should run the other way. :idea:
T.
Remember it's a when you least expect it...there it will be.
Now go home and get some rest. (Assuming your at work as you usually are):)

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Remember it's a when you least expect it...there it will be.
Now go home and get some rest. (Assuming your at work as you usually are):)
I work at home so I never really get away from it. Maybe that's my problem.:idea: It N E V E R ENDS :p
T.

chub
10-05-2007, 11:46 PM
no such thing as karma for me.
What comes around goes around is what my daddy taught me.
Harvey that showed with 21hundo cash woulda walked with the truck after a courtesy call then and thier.;)

hoolign
10-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Check your PM's:idea:

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Check your PM's:idea:
Thanks !
Back atcha;)
T

Nord
10-06-2007, 12:35 AM
This is going to sound bad, but you should have taken the other parties info down. Its not sold until you have cash in hand. Lesson learned. We've all made this same error in one way or another. Put a "For Sale" sign on it with the disclosure of "buyer backed out" on it in big letters. I assure you, the first guy will come back.

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 12:44 AM
This is going to sound bad, but you should have taken the other parties info down. Its not sold until you have cash in hand. Lesson learned. We've all made this same error in one way or another. Put a "For Sale" sign on it with the disclosure of "buyer backed out" on it in big letters. I assure you, the first guy will come back.
Thanks Nord,
No It didn't sound bad because it's something I already know.
It's more my own damn fault than his and I'm as mad at myself as I am at him.
You think after 40 + :idea: years I would have learned that one by now. Cash Talks BS walks. But yet I keep playing the "Nice Guy" and I'm always finishing last. Glutton for punishment I guess.
I know who the other guy works for but not sure which region. several stores to canvas. If I hang a sign on it, it would be gone in no time. it's just dealing with the tire kickers, dreamers and bargain hunters I don't like dealing with.
Thanks Again buddy.
T.

hoolign
10-06-2007, 12:49 AM
2100 US..is that like 90 dollars CDN??
I been waiting to say that since 1976 LMAO:D :D

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 01:09 AM
2100 US..is that like 90 dollars CDN??
I been waiting to say that since 1976 LMAO:D :D
:D LMAO yeah it has been a while if ever you've been able to throw something like that out there.
I'm going to try and get it cleaned up sometime today. as long as something doesn't come up.
No telling one min to the next around here sometimes. :rolleyes:
I hear the shuffle of little feet upstairs better go check that out it's a little early for the boss to be up.
Talk to ya soon
T.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Lived in a big, new 8 home cul de sac in Thousand Oaks Sunset hills once.
Everyone hated each other.
Feuds, shouting matches, all kinds of crazy hate stunts going down daily, calling the cops on each other.
Every day was an all time new low.
It was awefull.
We lived on a flag lot, some distance down the hillside with gates, & worked long odd hours, so I stayed outta it, but still knew everyone, and not taking sides in the feuds was reason enough for others contempt.
Now, in my new neighborhood, I barely know one neighbor, and that's just for security reasons & because our cat kills their gophers.
Rule one with neighbors: Never do any kinda sales transaction. Ever.
I won't even fix their A/C for free. I will for friends, but forget the neighbors.
You're then married to what ever transaction transpired.
And rule one and a half: Good fences DO make good neighbors.

thatguy
10-06-2007, 03:30 AM
I think I would have called the neighbor while the buyer was still there. Then made the decision based on his answer. It kind of sounds like the whole neighbor buying the truck thing was more for conversation than an actual deal. Is $2,100.00 worth losing a neighbor that you have a report with? Just my .02.
Tommy

BigDoug
10-06-2007, 06:38 AM
This heppened to me last weekend with a board member from here, he asked me to find a prop for him while he was down in Parker with his family for the weekend, i was on a boat detail and told him "give me a couple of hours and i'll locate one"...i find him a used and new one for him at good prices, i call him to ask which one he wants ?....he never returns my call :mad: ..i had a shop stay open longer for him too....i would've even picked it up and delivered to Parker if needed but NO phone call !!
This made me look like a jackass all the while im trying to help a guy out !!
I still never got a phone call or pm from him and it's a week later now, oh well !! so much for going above and beyond to help a board member out when in need..............................rant over :D

IMPATIENT 1
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
This is a long one please bear with me..........
My neighbor has been after me to sell him my old truck all summer.
1968 Chevy SWB Step Side , small rear window. rare for a 68 350/4sp.
4.11 gear, period correct 6 lug, Slotted mags. Good Tires no rust semi straight nice old truck with alot of potential.
I refused to sell it to him because it's an old truck and I would probably be the one that ended up working on it and I am so tired of working on vehicles.
I've had this old truck for 15 years and it has been a great workhorse that has hauled anything I've put in or behind it. But it does have it's little quirks and since the guy isn't mechanically inclined I was really worried about selling it to him and told him so.
So the other day I was up visiting , having a beer and were discussing a motor home down the road that he's interested in for 7k and we go look at it. and the subject comes up again about selling the truck to him. At this point I am ready to sell it to him just to shut him up, I give him a price of $2,100.00 drive it home. He kinda hem haws around about it like I was suppose to give him the damn thing for nothing. I knew of another truck down the road from the MoHo we were just looking at. Same year same short wheel base step side but worse shape at a car lot for $3,500 and took him to look at it.
The paint is nicer but not by much, the bed is gutted no wood, rusty crap wheels, jerry rigged automatic trans, and the interior smells like rat piss and dead squirrels. :yuk:
$2,100.00 is not a bad deal for mine for what it is. And he agrees. And I figure since he's looking a 7k MoHo he could afford my truck. He has a pull behind camper already and doesn't really need a MoHo. hence the reason for wanting my truck.
The Very Next Day a different guy pulls up in the driveway and inquires about the truck. I told him about my neighbor wanting it and I had priced it to him for 2100. I could have sold it then and there to him but my neighbor was first in line and I couldn't sell it out from under him being the nice guy I am.
So I shook the second guys hand and thanked him for stopping by.
I emailed my neighbor that night and told him to come get the truck.
He calls me on the phone the next day and tells me he's backing out saying he can't afford it right now, and not sure if and when he can swing it.
I said WHAT ? Do you realize you just cost me 2Gs I could have sold it yesterday but I was saving it for you since you were so persistent about buying it all summer. WERE DONE Click! I hang up mad as hell.
This isn't the first time I have gone out of my way for a neighbor/friend only to get the shit end of the stick.
So where do you guys draw the line with friends and money?
Do any of you ever go out of your way for a neighbor/friend and feel like you've been taken advantage of or "Played". I'm so tired of this kind of crap.
I keep my friend list short just because of a history of this type thing.
It seems like everyone I come in contact with takes advantage of my giving nature.
I'm ready to say FTW.
Rant Over.
T.
my door neighbor lost a couple of frt teeth awhile back when he shot a dog of mine, cost me 400 to have the dogs leg removed, never herd what his new frt teeth cost:mad: :D if someone costs me $$$$ i get pissed and even. if someone costs me time, they never get anymore from me;)

hoolign
10-06-2007, 06:57 AM
my door neighbor lost a couple of frt teeth awhile back when he shot a dog of mine, cost me 400 to have the dogs leg removed, never herd what his new frt teeth cost:mad: :D if someone costs me $$$$ i get pissed and even. if someone costs me time, they never get anymore from me;)
Quit being so impatient:)

BadKachina
10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Your neighbor has no social skills, his dad should have kicked his ass more when he was a kid.
I had a guy, co-worker of a friend, come to see some wheels and tires I had for sale. He tries to work me, trade me crap, and basically gives me the hard luck story how since his divorce he's been broke etc. I finally give in a little on my price and we make a deal. This was early in the week and he says he'll be back on Friday, basically begs me to hold them, tells me what great deal it is and how appricative he is. Cool, I'm glad to help somebody out, glad he's happy. Well, you can guess what happens next, after about a week I call the friend and ask about his buddy from work. What's going on? Why hasn't he showed back up? I had other offers I turned down. He says his friend changed his mind and decided not to buy them. WTF???? People are a-holes, no f-n call, no nothing...............

IMPATIENT 1
10-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Quit being so impatient:)
i'm all about instant gratification my friend:D planting a nike in his grill was worth the 400;) he deserved it, even his wife told me so:D she just left the a-hole,lol.

HocusPocus
10-06-2007, 07:03 AM
my wifes brother did that same thing to me on a boat i had decided to sell. its enough to piss off the pope i tell you.

Sleeper CP
10-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Hang a for sale sign on it for $ 3,500 . sell it for $ 3,000. then tell your neighbor "thanks you just made me $ 900.00"
Just don't forget what type of person he is.. Now you know:idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Jim W
10-06-2007, 08:16 AM
I have learned the hard way to always ask for a non refundable deposit with a time limit for the balance.
If someone really wants what I am selling, the deposit is no problem for them. Actually it secures the item for them.
If they are bullchitting me, asking for the deposit makes that very apparent.
Works for me.....
Be good, Jim

77charger
10-06-2007, 08:22 AM
for a friend who i can trust his word i would give them a certain amount of time to buy if they cant do it by then.too bad(provided they say they will buy it)After that its first one with cash.
when i sell something its for sale til i have cash in hand i dont care if someone came and looked earlier went to bank if someone else came along with cash in hand while buyer 1 was away its theirs now.And i will tell them this too
I was selling a truck years ago potential buyer sad they were interested coming back tomorrow with money another buyer came up i said wait til tomorrow never heard back from either.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-06-2007, 08:31 AM
I figured that karma would come back around but nooooo.. Seems Karma schmarma never goes all the way around the block. maybe I should run the other way. :idea:
T.
I have been doing some reading on Buddhism lately and discovered that the idea of Karma usually happens in the next life (Buddhists believe in reincarnation). For example, someone who cheats on his/her spouse will be the cheatee in the next life. Someone who steals from others will be poor and have things stolen from him/her in the next life.

Sleeper CP
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I have been doing some reading on Buddhism lately and discovered that the idea of Karma usually happens in the next life (Buddhists believe in reincarnation).
That's to late:( :mad:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

hkunz
10-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Relatives are worse than neighbors, but the best deal is none at all with either. You end up with long term issues long after the original truck/car/whatever is gone.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-06-2007, 08:44 AM
That's to late:( :mad:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
I agree, I would like to see it happen sooner also. Buddhists would say that is for my own my selfishness :D

OCMerrill
10-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Nice Bilge.
A good friend of mine has a 70 C-10 which was a 6 cyl stripper. It now looks like a CST and has a 1996 EFI 454 and L480E trans from a donor 3/4 ton. The engine was a complete transplant and when you lift the hood it looks like a 96 truck. It's now turn key and even the OBDII system is working properly and can be code scanned just like a 1996 truck.
On the highway he gets 17-18 mpg. It even has the hydra boost system transplanted with disks on all corners. A very unique truck. He tows a huge tent trailer with it and thats what he built it for.
It's just all white with silver CST Rally's. By looking at the truck one would never know what is really going on under the metal.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I love those trucks. I have a '76 2500 4x4 with a 350/4 speed that is collecting spider webs waiting for one of my kids to take an interest.
I wanted the earlier body style when I bought this one, but for a 4 wheel drive, the prices are out of control.

vee-driven
10-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I have a 72 swb c10 and if i ever wanted to sell it i have a list of people that will take it off my hands for top dollar. Like mentioned above, throw a 4 sale sign on that thing and it should be gone in no time, depending on the condition start at $4k and let it ride. These swb trucks are getting harder and harder to find.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/patsnewpics025-3.jpg

Jbb
10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Team JBB Motorsports has a hard & fast rule ...which is.....when an Item comes up for sale.......first to my greedy hand with the cash money......drives away in it.....:D

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Dang guys all these nice pics makes me want to keep the thing and fix her up.. which was the original plan 14 years ago. I just could never stop working it long enough to get on the project.
Thanks for all the replies.
T.

Jbb
10-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Im kinda hurt that you didnt offer it to me ...I try to restore all kinds of stuff....:(

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Im kinda hurt that you didnt offer it to me ...I try to restore all kinds of stuff....:(
And you're close enough to get it. Brian I didn't mean to leave you out and you're welcome to come look at it if you want to. I never really wanted to sell it but I have been asked so many times about it that I believe it would probably be a good thing to do. I'm coming up on needing some extra cash in the next couple of weeks and selling it sure would help with the bill. but that doesn't mean I want to sell it, it means I will under my current circumstances. under protest of course :D
I was suppose to clean it up today and shoot a few pictures for posting but I didn't have enough time to make the run to the landfill with the load that's sitting in it. I may wander out in a while and squirt the mildew and oak sap off the body and get a few but I'm not unloading last weeks leftovers so keep that in mind if/ when I post the pics
More Later ..
T.

OCMerrill
10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
This is not a Jeep though.:idea:
:D :D

OCMerrill
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4421/jbbmotorsportshy0.gif (http://imageshack.us)
:D :D :D
To funny TBI!:D :D

Jbb
10-06-2007, 02:03 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4421/jbbmotorsportshy0.gif (http://imageshack.us)
:D :D :D
You know how the director rolls....
:D

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Got the drivers side squirted off. and the Skeeters are eatin me alive ! :(
T.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/68-1.JPG

GHT
10-06-2007, 02:48 PM
I totally agree Nord, I will also add that CT got what was coming to him because, as he said, "that wasn't the first time I got the Sh1t end of the stick from him", and therefore he should have know better:idea: .
CT don't mean to sound like I'm being an ass to you but as Nord said mark it up as a lesson learned. Although when you do sell it you should tell your neighbor that you let it go for $500.00. That will piss him off.:D

WTMFA
10-06-2007, 03:10 PM
$2100 for a V8 4spd!!!!!!!!!!!
Your neighbor is a focking idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That truck is worth way more than that. If I didn't already have something similar I would seriously consider flying out to buy it off you!
If you could sit on it awhile I think you should start the bidding at 4k.
Good luck on the sale.http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40659&stc=1&d=1191712149

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I totally agree Nord, I will also add that CT got what was coming to him because, as he said, "that wasn't the first time I got the Sh1t end of the stick from him", and therefore he should have know better:idea: .
CT don't mean to sound like I'm being an ass to you but as Nord said mark it up as a lesson learned. Although when you do sell it you should tell your neighbor that you let it go for $500.00. That will piss him off.:D
Hey man I'm not hurt at all by that statement. Its true I had it coming and I should have know better. I appreciate your honesty and telling it like you see it.

hoolign
10-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Yo Ct check your PM's ...again..Fukk:D ..

GHT
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey man I'm not hurt at all by that statement. Its true I had it coming and I should have know better. I appreciate your honesty and telling it like you see it.
Don't forget the $500.00 sell. That will get him going on why you didn't just sell it to him for that because he would have paid you "Right There" if he had only known it would be only $500.00.:D :D

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Yo Ct check your PM's ...again..Fukk:D ..
Back at cha ;)
Oh and don't get too excited gentlemen that glossy shit you see is water running off the paint :D The off color haze on the fender is actually the primer showing through and is obvious throughout the truck..
The wheels are nice but the center caps are "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter " cups painted black. OMG I can't believe I confessed to that one :D
T.

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Back at cha ;)
Oh and don't get too excited gentlemen that glossy shit you see is water running off the paint :D The off color haze on the fender is actually the primer showing through and is obvious throughout the truck..
The wheels are nice but the center caps are "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter " cups painted black. OMG I can't believe I confessed to that one :D
T.
The paint would be going anyways! So would the rims , tires , "mirrors" :D and suspension would be gone! Motor trans ..etc..out the door! I just need a good body on a good frame!

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
The paint would be going anyways! So would the rims , tires , "mirrors" :D and suspension would be gone! Motor trans ..etc..out the door! I just need a good body on a good frame!
NOT MY WHEELS ! You know how long it took me to find period correct slotted mags in 6 lug ?
You're keepin the butter cups though aint cha ? :D
T.

Jbb
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Just how long would the drive be....:D ....from Bum f**k nowhere ...to NC...?:D :D

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Just how long would the drive be....:D ....from Bum Fućk nowhere ...to NC...?:D :D
It wouldnt be me making it...so distance is no matter
PS Fućk you :D :D

Jbb
10-06-2007, 04:18 PM
It wouldnt be me making it...so distance is no matter
PS Fućk you :D :D
:jawdrop:
Baller....:yuk:

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:20 PM
:jawdrop:
Baller....:yuk:
Otay:rolleyes:

Ziggy
Its a blessing the neighbor didn't buy it...believe me.
Now put it up for sale with a much taller pricetag...and if the neighbor comes by for it then its at the new price. You really don't want to sell it to the neighbor, really you don't.....
Did I mention you don't want to sell it to your neighbor?:confused: :)

hoolign
Now put it up for sale with a much taller pricetag...and if the neighbor comes by for it then its at the new price. You really don't want to sell it to the neighbor, really you don't.....
Hey Fućk off! :D

Jbb
10-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey Fućk off! :D
lol....Im gonna buy it.....just so you can't have it..... :D

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2007, 04:25 PM
what are you saying ? I shouldn't sell it to a neighbor ? :D
I've already laid out a price here and My PM box is smoking with interest so I'll let it go for that to the HB people. I may throw it on craigslist for 3.5k and see what happens. These old SWB step sides are hard to come by in decent shape.
T.

OCMerrill
10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Selling something off ***boat might not be any better. I just read Her454's post.
On the other hand CT has clearly stated his thoughts on condition. :D

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Selling something off ***boat might not be any better. I just read Her454's post.
On the other hand CT has clearly stated his thoughts on condition. :D
You buy something site unseen you take your chances! No one elses fault but your own!
Thanks for your Fućkin input!:D I really really like this Fućk n thing :D :D

vee-driven
10-06-2007, 04:59 PM
my buddy sold his in way worse condition for $4500.

OCMerrill
10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
You buy something site unseen you take your chances! No one elses fault but your own!
Thanks for your Fućkin input!:D I really really like this Fućk n thing :D :D
:D :D
Good luck getting there in time. Now that Jbb has seen it matches his Cobra I would be willing to be he is halfway there already.:)
Oh and your fuc'ken welcome!!:D