PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO YOU GUYS NORMALLY DRAIN THE OIL

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-30-2003, 10:26 AM
I am interested to hear how you guys drain your oil out of your engine when it comes oil change time. I usually end up draining it in the bilge and making a huge mess. I have a 460 ford with the plug in the front. it has a small ball valve on it with a hose barb. I have hooked a hose on it and run it out the drain hole on the back of the boat. It will only drain about 2 qts in 4 hours. Do you guys use a pump? If so what kind can you recommend? I am really getting tired of mopping up oil out of the bilge. thanks...

HammerDown
04-30-2003, 11:26 AM
"Drain it in the Bilge"...yuc, thats nasty...lol.
I use a remote Drain hose that's always hooked up to the Oil Pan...I drain my oil after a day on the water...bring the boat up on the trailer...fish the drain hose out the hole of the transome adapter and into a catch container it go's. It's all out in a few minutes. Refill with a new filter at home.
If your drain blug is off to the side, ya might be able to install one of these drain hoses without lifting the motor. Or you could try a "oil pump out Extractor"
Either way, ya want that oil hot, and stirred up so any debre will be suspended in the oil.
[ April 30, 2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

BK
04-30-2003, 11:31 AM
HammerDown:
I use a remote Drain hose that's always hooked up to the Oil PanSame here, and it does take forever to drain out unless you do it while its hot and even then it take a while for mine to drain.

Hotcrusader76
04-30-2003, 11:37 AM
I use a handpump from Kragen. It takes about 2 beers worth of time to do but it's clean and functional.
When I drop the new motor here this month I am installing a new drain hose. Something I should have done along time ago.
~Ty

Sangster
04-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Most boat shops sell a deal that looks like a Hudson sprayer.. Jest stick the hose down the dip stick tube , Give the thing a few pumps & it sucks the oil out in about a beer or two..
The hoses that are attached to the drain plug work ok..But make sure it's capped off good & doesnt leak....it will drain your pan when you don't want it to.. eek!
[ April 30, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

HammerDown
04-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Sangster
The hoses that are attached to the drain plug work ok..But make sure it's capped off good & doesnt leak....it will drain your pan when you don't want it to.. eek! [/QB]Guess anythings possible...6 years and mine works great.

AZKC
04-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Electric pump with hose down the dip stick tube boxed
KC

Squirtcha?
04-30-2003, 12:59 PM
I use an old Holley red fuel pump with about 3' of 5/8" rubber hose on both the in and out. I have a couple battery type clips on it and just hook it up to the battery. It slips right over the top of the remote oil drain hose and takes just a few minutes. It's not the only way ta fly, but it sure works good.
They probably work better as an oil drain pump than a fuel pump.
[ April 30, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

wsuwrhr
04-30-2003, 02:36 PM
I use an engine hoist for mine. Sucks but with a rail kit motor install/removal is easy.
Brian

HOOTER SLED-
04-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Rex has a pump called Quik Drain( I think). Anyways, I have it on my boat, works bitchen, just did it. It's a little pump that is mounted on my transom with a hose going to the pan and a clear hose coming out the other side. It's a little bigger than an ignition coil. It's wired to the battery, you just turn a valve and push a switch to start pumping( the only problem is you have to hold the damn button). Not that big of a deal though, it's quick. I guess they do that so some knucklehead doesn't turn it on when they shouldn't. It beats the old school way in my other boat. The old trash bag under the pan trick. Drain plug on bottom, no room to mount drain hose. It freakin sucks though when you catch the bag on something when your pullin it out and it tears spilling your juice everywhere. Hey sounds like something else. :D :D The moral of the story men, double up the bag!!! :D :D :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-30-2003, 03:20 PM
hey thanks guys. Squirtcha, I had heard that would work just curious if anyone had tried it. I'll have to save my pump if and when I replace it. Thank God I only have to change oil once a year. 8 quarts takes alot of towels to mop up. I always sneek a couple out of the kitchen....hee hee hee

Jet City
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
I have a banjo fitting and hose permanently attached to the oil pan, just push it thru the transom and remove end plug. It takes a while, I just let it drain over night. I used an extended oil pump drive in a hand drill to push the oil out the oil sending port (attached fitting and hose) on my last boat, it worked good as well. Anythings better than a boat full of oil.

Danhercules
04-30-2003, 04:51 PM
The hoses that are attached to the drain plug work ok..But make sure it's capped off good & doesnt leak....it will drain your pan when you don't want it to..
How did you know??!! :confused:
I have a pipe comming out of the pan with a 90 and than a stright piece bout 12'' long. When I change my oil. I put a hose on the end to the plug hole, but I think there is a leak in the pipe connections. I have a little dribble!!!!! frown

GlastronGuy
04-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I take a 5 gallon bucket with lid to the lake with me. On the final run to the ramp, I run WOT. I load the boat on the trailer, pull out of the way and drain the oil into the bucket thru a remote drain hose connected to a 1/4 valve. Put lid on bucket, secure bucket in truck and drive home.

JetBoatRich
04-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Put the hose out the back of the boat, Pull the plug and let it drain until the next afternoon. Finish by changing the filter. Fill the motor back up with oil and we are off.

Taylor LP
04-30-2003, 08:21 PM
I have the drain hose from the oil pan, but I do it a little differently. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a cover. I cut a piece of plexiglass that's just smaller in dia. than the lid.I siliconed the plexi to the top of the lid and attached a fitting to match the one on the end of the hose, and an air conditioning service fitting. This way I can screw the hose to the lid and connect my A/C vacuum pump to pull a small vacuum in the bucket. (not to much or it will collapse the bucket) This drains all the oil out in about 10 min. if it's hot. I think the small dia. of the drain hose keeps it from draining faster.

Nubbs
04-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I have the banjo fitting and drain hose off the pan. I warm the engine for a few minutes, pull the hose out the transom plug hole and use a drill pump. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

Cas
04-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Sangster:
Most boat shops sell a deal that looks like a Hudson sprayer.. Jest stick the hose down the dip stick tube , Give the thing a few pumps & it sucks the oil out in about a beer or two..
The hoses that are attached to the drain plug work ok..But make sure it's capped off good & doesnt leak....it will drain your pan when you don't want it to.. eek! I've got of those for sale, $20.00 + shipping, used twice and works good. I just haven't used it since I installed the drain hose.
Before getting the vacuum pump, I took the boat over to the local Oil Changers, paid them $15.00 and had them suck the oil out......yea yea, I was lazy :D

BGMAN203
05-01-2003, 12:01 AM
...Then if your really cheap like me, you get a couple 32 gallon trash bags....take the drain plug off, then catch old oil in trash bag. You might want to use a couple of trash bags, depending on you space limitation, cuz if you get the bag too full you will end up spilling in the boat, so you would be right back where you started. It takes me a couple mins or boater time = 2.3 beers. So if your a real tight ass, like I can be...you will never go wrong with a trash bag. I can't tell you how you can disgaurd it though....thats up to you and how you feel about the enviornment. I know idiots that still pour down the street drains! But I got a real cool guy that runs a auto shop right by my house and he takes it in the bag!! :D :D

Cas
05-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Kragen and many other auto parts stores will take the old oil for free. I really wish people would realize how damaging dumping oil outside the proper containers is. If I saw someone pouring oil down a sewer drain, I would have to do something about that.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-02-2003, 07:14 AM
I have always been confused about this. Oil comes from the ground. I think the oil companies came up with this so they didn't have to go find it. this way they can clean it and sell it back to you. Now that should get all the tree huggers going. :D No just stirring the pot I always take mine to oreilly and recycle it. I am curious how something that naturally comes from the ground becomes a pollutant when re-introduced to it's natural environment.

HammerDown
05-02-2003, 08:44 AM
I get Hot when I see someone toss a piece of paper out of a auto...think I'd go Postal if I saw someone puting used oil in a trash can.

Cas
05-02-2003, 09:05 AM
Omega,
Crude oil comes from "in" the ground, not "on" it. It's pretty much incapsulted within a pocket deep down.
Too many life forms are adversely affected by it. Matter of fact, do a test, put a 3 drops of oil in a glass of water each day for a month.
What happens to the water?
Now do the same thing but drink that glass of water every day. Maybe add a little anti-freeze or some gas. How about a smidge of transmission fluid....heck, let's go for it all, add in some insecticides, paint, laundry detergent, brake fluid, hell, just go in your garage and start adding whatever kinds of liquids you can find.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Cas,
I use STP carb cleaner as a laxative. Have seen no adverse affects yet. except for a bad case of raw ass. Now of course you know the water supply is down in the earth too and is filtered naturally by layers of sediment and what not. And they have found oil as shallow as 60ft under the surface so it isn't always as deep as you think. I can tell you are a real tree hugger. Why then are you running a boat that spews carbon monoxide. it's people like you that are causing global warming.......I really am enjoying this. I can tell you this. used oil makes a damn good weed killer for keeping those little sprigs of grass in the cracks of the driveway under control. Antifreeze is a good way to ged rid of a neighbors dog that barks all night. Okay I guess I should really stop.......Have I got you worked up yet? :D

Carnival of Souls
05-02-2003, 11:31 AM
I was on A trail ride in my 69 IH Scout, down in Monteagle TN A couple of years back. Our trail leader got some water in his oil in one of the creek crossings, so he had to change it before we could go any farther. Anyway, he had this nifty disposable box filled with some kind of foam to absorb the oil, I think it was called an enviro-box. It measured about 16"x16"x5" deep, and it will hold 8 quarts. I don't know if any of you have enough room under your pan to fit one in there, but it seemed to work very well. Also once the oil is in it, you tip it on its side, and it won't spill.
Just my two cents........

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-02-2003, 11:33 AM
that sounds cool but not enough room under the pan for one. I think I'm gonna go with squirtcha and use an old fuel pump. I think my old holley pump is on the way out so I may have a good candidate real good. a pressure guage will tell me this weekend. And of course I will dispose of my used oil properly.........

Taylor LP
05-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Carnival,
Those boxes you're talking about haven't been around for a few years. They were filled with something like the cellulose insulation that you blow into your attic. It said right on the box that when you are done "just throw it away!".And we did, without giving it a second thought. Not likely to go over too well these days.
Funny, years ago there were 5-6 people on my block who had race cars, or did their own oil changes. I remember that most of them had bored about a 2" hole 4-5 feet down in the ground next to their trash cans. They would just dump the oil down the hole and let it soak in. That was in a big city and there were no water wells, so no one cared. Don't think it was even an issue then. Nowdays it's a huge fine that no one would want to pay. Times change.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-02-2003, 12:34 PM
I remember the old man pooring out his oil on the side of the garage. What amazes me is that they gripe about polluting the water but those damn jet skis and outboards(most not all) leave an oil slick behind them. I don't really care but I do recycle our oil becuase it's cleaner and more convenient. Now if I lived out in the country 50 miles from no where. well I guess I would burn it. that's what my father in-law does. poors it all over his trash and strikes a match. they real country though.......yeee haw

BrendellaJet
05-02-2003, 03:29 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
Cas,
I use STP carb cleaner as a laxative. Have seen no adverse affects yet. except for a bad case of raw ass. That is some funny shit.

Cas
05-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Omega,
worked up? not at all but you do have me pegged all wrong. I'm not a tree hugger by a long shot but I do believe in trying to keep the earth as clean as possible from all sorts of polution. If each person took responsibility of their own actions, we'd all be better off. The way I look at it is the cleaner we all can be out on the lake will benefit all of us for a long time. Why give the tree huggers and legislators any kind of ammunition to start imposing speed limits, tougher alcohol restrictions, or maybe even close lakes down to fuel burning engines.
As far as my boat, it runs almost as clean as my smogged up truck.
2 cycle engines are already being banned from many lakes in CA. I think it's a good thing although I feel for the poor people that just got limited on where they can use their toy. On top of that, the value of their stuff went way down too.
For a great little oil absortion sponge ask your local Coast Guard Auxilary about the ones they give out, they're great. Just toss it in your bilge and it'll soak up any oil.

Cas
05-02-2003, 09:09 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
I remember the old man pooring out his oil on the side of the garage. What amazes me is that they gripe about polluting the water but those damn jet skis and outboards(most not all) leave an oil slick behind them. I don't really care.....there's a big difference between you and I, I do care about our environment.
You admitted to not caring so apparently it's ok in your mind to pollute, litter and destroy your environment?
[ May 02, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Cas ]

BobbyB
05-03-2003, 02:22 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
I am interested to hear how you guys drain your oil out of your engine when it comes oil change time. Mine has a hose from the pan to the transom. Could stand to be a little bit longer. It is kind of a pain if you don't have a steep driveway (I'll try the launch ramp idea someone posted). A friend of mine has a little pump that you feed down the dipstick tube, and use a Makita to drive the pump. It's pretty quick.

LakesOnly
05-03-2003, 05:27 PM
OBJ,
I believe you have a BBF, no?
If that's the case, here's what I do:
Remove the oil pressure sending unit from your block and screw in a 1/8 NPT hose barb and attach a long clear hose. Then, remove your distributor and attach a socket to the oil pump drive, and the socket extension to a drill. (There is no-where for the socket to fall into the engine if it separates from the extension.)
Without cranking the engine, run the oil pump via the drill and pump all the oil out through the (hose barbed) oil pressure reading hole in the block. Takes about five minutes.
Once I see the air bubbles in the clear hose, I usually dump a quart of fresh oil into the engine to push out that last quart of dirty oil settling into the pan.
This technique also works well for priming a newly build engine just prior to starting it for the first time.
LO
[ May 03, 2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-03-2003, 06:12 PM
cas,
I'm not all about polluting. I think I am just more realistic Big business is responsible for about 95% of our pollution problems. But they make large campaign contributions and get these nice little grandfather loops. I do my part to stay clean. As for your engine running clean. the average internal combustion piston driven engine has a thermal effeciency of 25% so you might not be as clean as you think. That is why they started with the catalytic converters. I don't think that it really matters as far as ozone is concerned anyhow. I was just trying to fluff your feathers. We are on the same team here.....
Lakesonly,
that sounds like a lot of work to change oil. You have to reset the timing and all. But hey I appreciate the advice none the less. I think I will try squirtcha's way next time. And as far as the priming trick I do that to every new engine I build and it would work great for changing oil to to avoid dry starts. I hope you guys always fill up your oil filter with oil first. If you don't you create a huge air pocket in the system and it takes longer to build pressure. Just my opinion. I have always done it that way. Maybe something to consider next time you change yours.
Thanks to all for your comments and ideas. It sounds like everyone has a different way. I guess it really boils down to what is most convenient to you. thanks guys!!!! :)

LakesOnly
05-03-2003, 09:47 PM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
Lakesonly,
that sounds like a lot of work to change oil. You have to reset the timing and all. :) Well, pulling the sender takes 30 sec's and same with the distributor. Overall, it sure beats the few quarts in two hours as originally poset in this thread.
OBJ, I can't believe I'm about to admit to this, bud, but early one morning when I was in a hurry to get to the lake, I pulled my oil pressure unit only and idled my engine until I saw air bubbles in the hose and shut 'er down...and refilled the crankcase. While I want to believe there's a shred of film strength left with the residual oil, I'm sure I will get shot down for even bringing this hasteful alternative up. Suffice it to say that my motor ran pinned that day as much as I felt like it.
Amazing what we'll do to get to a girl already at the lake, isn't it? :rolleyes:
LO
[ May 03, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Cas
05-03-2003, 10:02 PM
LakesOnly
I pulled my oil pressure unit only and idled my engine until I saw air bubbles in the hose and shut 'er down
LO [/QB]LO,
Years ago with my first boat and an Olds engine, I used to hook up a remote starter button, pull the oil filter off, place a 1 qt pan under the mount and start cranking. I'd pull out about 4 1/2 qts, put a new filter on, add new oil and be on my way.....did that for 11 years.....same engine that never came out for a major repair.

LakesOnly
05-03-2003, 11:18 PM
LO, I used to hook up a remote starter button, pull the oil filter off, place a 1 qt pan under the mount and start cranking. I'd pull out about 4 1/2 qts, put a new filter on, add new oil and be on my way.....did that for 11 years.....same engine that never came out for a major repair. [/QUOTE]
Now there's an option I hadn't considered. I suppose cranking speed is no big deal under these circumstances.
Just got home from a tequila party with maybe 7-9 different kinds of tequila. My heads hitting the pillow right...about...NNNNnnnnbrowww...........
LO
My fi
[ May 04, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-05-2003, 06:44 PM
you know lakesonly you're right it would have been faster. I guess I'm just lazy.......as far as idling dry. If you use good oil I believe it wouldn't hurt it. not that I will ever try it or recommend it. I know they did a test with synthetics one time where they drained all the oil and gave the car to two women to drive while shopping one day. I an engine can survive that with no oil wel.......No the insight has been great. I now have a plan.......I think.........

DICK THORPE
05-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Pull motor from boat remove all plugs from rocker covers.....................turn up--------------
never mind im shure you got it.
I use drain hose with drill motor mounted paint pump from True Value was about 5.00.