PDA

View Full Version : Back to work!

thatguy
10-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Hello all,
Well, my 2 weeks off turned into almost 3 weeks off! Thats good. They had to move the rig so I got about 5 extra days off, AND it cuts my 28 days at work down by the same amount.
Cleaned up in Vegas!
My wife hit a $4K jackpot on a dollar slot, I hit for $2,700.00 on THE SAME MACHINE next day! So We got out with about 6K. Made a lump payment on the Truck so got right side up on that!
BUT, had some bad luck at Sac River with the Miller the day before I left for work. (Wed.)
We launched at Anderson River park on Wednsday afternoon. It is a very small lagoon of sorts. Out of the current but only big enough for 1-2 boats in the still water. I made a few blasts up and down the river, about 75mph. Then pulled in, dropped off the boy (He is 15) and got my wife in the boat.
When I started it the reverse lever jumped out of my hand and I drove the thing about 5 feet up the launch ramp! Looked it over and could find no damage.
Got going again and backed into the current, went to put it in forward and the lever would not move. Smack it with my hand and got it forward, but the boat did not move forward. Gave it a little throttle and a very ugly noise came from the jet unit.
Meanwhile boat is in the current and we are drifting pretty fast. I jumped in and floated with the boat for a bit while getting the bow line on, then hauled the boat over to the side and dragged it back to the still water, about 30 feet up river while up to my nips in the river.
Had to get ready for my flight so did not get to look at it close.
I think when I went up the ramp I got some rocks in the intake and then either demolished the impellor or sheared it off the shaft. Will know in a few weeks. Ruined my cell phone, so that cost $350.00, plus lost all my numbers.
Other than that, time off was great!
Tommy

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Work safe Tom! Hey did ya ever find that torque and drag analysis program??
2700?? ...day rate for DD's LOL :D

thatguy
10-06-2007, 04:21 AM
Hey Hooli,
I found the programs, but do not have one for tubing work strings.
I wish my day rate was $2,700.00, even canadian! I did get a raise this week though. Now it's up to $1075.00 US. Not bad for an old wore out roughneck!
Tommy

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey Hooli,
I found the programs, but do not have one for tubing work strings.
I wish my day rate was $2,700.00, even canadian! I did get a raise this week though. Now it's up to $1075.00 US. Not bad for an old wore out roughneck!
Tommy
All the ones I have are for DP as well. We havent had a raise in 2 years. Supposed to get one this year. We stalled at 1475.00 a day..but like you said "not bad for wore out roughneck LMAO!

thatguy
10-06-2007, 04:39 AM
What do you do? TP? Co Man, or DD?
Tommy

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:42 AM
What do you do? TP? Co Man, or DD?
Tommy
Co Man on sour criticals. Tp's are making around 1300.00 I been thinkin about going back a notch and relaxing abit :D

thatguy
10-06-2007, 04:45 AM
I hear ya'! I turned down 2 Co. Man jobs this year. I make as much now and have the power of Veto! I do not envy your position at all. Fight 'er fair!
Tommy

hoolign
10-06-2007, 04:50 AM
I hear ya'! I turned down 2 Co. Man jobs this year. I make as much now and have the power of Veto! I do not envy your position at all. Fight 'er fair!
Tommy
It almost aint worth it anymore. With Bill C-45 here, responsible for the roughneck tying his boots correctly:rolleyes: and for 150 less a day... may just be in my best interest! This buisness aint what it used to be that's for sure!Now ya gotta be a shrink, referee, cop, etc... plus run the jobs. They don't make roughy's like they used to. They all want a ride to the hospital when they scrape their knuckles now..and it's my fault beacause I didn't tell them not to run across the rig floor and not trip on the table :rolleyes:

thatguy
10-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Absolutely. The problem I see is that todays roughneck, for the most part, has very little fundamental knowledge of his job. The rigs here are now all pushbutton, iron roughneck, top drives, joy stick rigs. I know drillers who have never touched a brake handle. The hands therefore learn none of the basic practices critical for avoiding injury. They have never made mousehole connections, never had to pull back setbacks by hand. They constantly need reminded about hand tools around the hole, hole covers and just about everything that was beat into me in the first week I was ever on a rig. Smashed fingers and hands are the norm. Tongs are a mystery to them.
When I was drilling, and pushing for that matter, I could leave the floor with my lead floorhand running the rig. Always. Now, the damned drillers seem barely capable. There is such a gas boom here that there is simpley no labor pool to pick and choose from. Sucks.
Tommy

hoolign
10-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Absolutely. The problem I see is that todays roughneck, for the most part, has very little fundamental knowledge of his job. The rigs here are now all pushbutton, iron roughneck, top drives, joy stick rigs. I know drillers who have never touched a brake handle. The hands therefore learn none of the basic practices critical for avoiding injury. They have never made mousehole connections, never had to pull back setbacks by hand. They constantly need reminded about hand tools around the hole, hole covers and just about everything that was beat into me in the first week I was ever on a rig. Smashed fingers and hands are the norm. Tongs are a mystery to them.
When I was drilling, and pushing for that matter, I could leave the floor with my lead floorhand running the rig. Always. Now, the damned drillers seem barely capable. There is such a gas boom here that there is simpley no labor pool to pick and choose from. Sucks.
Tommy
It's pretty much the same here. Worst part is now I can't deal with them directly, or teach them a better / safer way..because that's the TP's job...but he doesnt know any better either. Not all of them mind you, I work with some old school boys who are just as sick of the BS as I am. It's way to political now..I spent 12 on drilling and 12 on service. So I'm not " drilling hand" to some of them. The old school boys laugh when i start getting the BS from some of the hands until I bring out the laptop and show them what happens when we're done woth the drilling rig..They freak out when they see gas..literally.. It's like WTF do you think your drilling a well for??? to put a hole in the ground?? No..GAS! High pressure ..Sour as hell ..GAS. You would think the derrick hand would understand why we're using 1350kg mud?? It simply amazes me at some of the stupidity on rigs now a days! But...don't teach em anything..they know it all!

Gazonfire
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
Ask them if they ever ran a cat head and see what kinda stupid looks you get.... Hell even better ask them about a cable tool rig, conventional snubbing, thowin a chain, etc... all the fun stuff. When I broke out the drill would throw a 100# sack of hulls in the reserve pit and tell me if I wanted to be on his crew "go get it" try that stuff now and you'll end up in court.....

hoolign
10-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Ask them if they ever ran a cat head and see what kinda stupid looks you get.... Hell even better ask them about a cable tool rig, conventional snubbing, thowin a chain, etc... all the fun stuff. When I broke out the drill would throw a 100# sack of hulls in the reserve pit and tell me if I wanted to be on his crew "go get it" try that stuff now and you'll end up in court.....
Bags are all 80# now due to whimpy hands. Spinnin chain.. a few rigs still run em but most have spinners. Cat heads are pretty much outlawed. I never forget the first chain I threw and took the rat tail in the lips:D You even mention snubbing to hands now and you have to clean up shitty pants :D ..When I was working derrick I remember getting green guts to stand in front of the mud gate and catch the wrench I lost with a burlap sack :D :D
Used to be a lot of fun!!