PDA

View Full Version : Drive the boat before you buy it. Lesson Learned

Rocknpalms
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Lesson learned the hard way. I purchased a boat with on 76 hours on it and thought the engine would be in great shape. Boat started fine on the trailer. Took it out to Elsinore AFTER I purchased it and while it seems to run OK and have good power, (4800 rpm and 57 mph '96 20' Carrera Eclipes) it had tons of blow by.
The T valve for the header had a broken spring. No big deal right. Well aparently the last time the owner ran the boat he got water in two cylinders, caused by the bad T valve and left it sit for a year or two.
I brought the boat to a shop for some upgrades and they did a leak down test to see why I had so much blowby. Yes you guested it two pistons with rusted and stuck rings a slight groove in the same two cylinders.
Look like a good time for the new forged crank, rods and pistons. Ok why stop heads, cam, intake, rockers, carb........................
DO NOT PURCHASE WITH OUT A TEST RUN OR MECHANIC CHECK.
:cry: :yuk: :mad:

sleekcrafter
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry to hear of your doom, it means one thing! BIGGER....BADDER....FASTER!
Sleek

BOOGEYMAN
02-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I always do a compression or leak down test before I buy an engine from anyone....Well just chaulk it up as a lesson learned and build bigger and better!!! :cool:

moneysucker
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I have taken it like a champ a few times. These days, I just assume the motor and pump need to be gone through when I get it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck on this. You probably do some upgrades so you can really spank your brother.
Cy

HammerDown
02-28-2006, 05:48 AM
I purchased this 1983 21 Daytona with out a test drive...and because so, I negotiated the sale for pennys on the dollar :rollside: .
Turns out there was about 75' of ski rope around the pump shaft. The owner thought something serious was wrong with it and just let it sit. Sometimes the (chance) pays off ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1064DSC00046-med.jpg

El Prosecutor
02-28-2006, 05:58 AM
I purchased this 1983 21 Daytona with out a test drive...and because so, I negotiated the sale for pennys on the dollar :rollside: .
Turns out there was about 75' of ski rope around the pump shaft. The owner thought something serious was wrong with it and just let it sit. Sometimes the (chance) pays off ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1064DSC00046-med.jpg
I waited about a month after purchase before installing the ski rope around the shaft. It went on very securely though. :rolleyes:

Danhercules
02-28-2006, 08:39 AM
OUCH. :cry:

Rocknpalms
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Dan thanks for the cry face. I will know more the next few days on how far I will be taking this motor.
They are pulling the engine today to remove the pan and two pistons. If the rusting of the cylinders can not be removed by a simple honning then we will totally disassemble the engine to give it a once over and put in the good stuff. Kinda hope that is the case since we are this far along allready.

Rooster
02-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Good luck! I feel your pain... I had to replace a motor soon after I bought my jet and supposedly it was one season old too... It sucked a valve..
Good luck, and if there is anything I can share with you from my experience is make sure they dont try and put a high rpm motor in there. It may make 650hp at 6800rpm but you sure as hell aint gunna be spinning an A impeller at that! SO GO FOR TORQUE AND TOP HP AROUND 5K SPINNING AN AA IMPELLER :)

FLEA DIDDY
02-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Lesson learned the hard way. I purchased a boat with on 76 hours on it and thought the engine would be in great shape. Boat started fine on the trailer. Took it out to Elsinore AFTER I purchased it and while it seems to run OK and have good power, (4800 rpm and 57 mph '96 20' Carrera Eclipes) it had tons of blow by.
The T valve for the header had a broken spring. No big deal right. Well aparently the last time the owner ran the boat he got water in two cylinders, caused by the bad T valve and left it sit for a year or two.
I brought the boat to a shop for some upgrades and they did a leak down test to see why I had so much blowby. Yes you guested it two pistons with rusted and stuck rings a slight groove in the same two cylinders.
Look like a good time for the new forged crank, rods and pistons. Ok why stop heads, cam, intake, rockers, carb........................
:cry: :yuk: :mad:It's a USED BOAT, Uh kinda comes with the territory. I bought a boat that has a build sheet for the motor, HA ****IN DING guess what? only thing in that motor that was on the build sheet was a crane cam. I did'nt pay an ass load for the boat, I wheeled and dealed and got it for what I though was a good deal, I took the motor down after a few passes and 2 cylinders where fubared and 18.00 sealed power cast pistons. I don't expect anymore than what it is, USED. just my .02

Focker
02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
:cry: :yuk: :mad:
excuse my studipity but what is blow by?

Focker
02-28-2006, 03:30 PM
what i need a beer i cant even spell right
i meant stupidity

FLEA DIDDY
02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
excuse my studipity but what is blow by?combustion gases blow by the piston rings do to lack of seating against cylider wall. Blows into the crankcase, can even blow the dipstick out of the tube.

BigDoug
02-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Flea Diddy, what's a "cylider wall" someone else needs a beer too !! :)

CARLSON-JET
02-28-2006, 06:59 PM
If there was no paddle involved... things went well.

Squirtin Thunder
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
If there was no paddle involved... things went well.
I test hauled yours for you !!!
I think the paddle flew out on one of the bumps. :cool:

78Southwind
02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jet Boat’n. :mad: Sorry to hear about the problems but it sounds like you were going to upgrade sooner or later. It's just going to be a little sooner rather than later. Also look at the bright side at least you don’t have to lie to the wife. Good luck with the mods. :D

FLEA DIDDY
02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Flea Diddy, what's a "cylider wall" someone else needs a beer too !! :)Dammit!!!! I put all my thought into that post so I could look like I knew alittle. :cry: lol. Thanx eagle eye. :yuk: :rollside: lol

Rocknpalms
02-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Looks like I will be putting in a 502. Price wise it looks like a better deal. For the upgrades and HP I want. This 454 will be for sale soon as is. It has only 76 hours on it and one head is taken off. I am sure that it can make a great 330hp motor for someone. Any one interested.

LakesOnly
02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Rocknpalms, a little food for thought:
Break
Oout
Another
Thousand
By the way, I once tested out a Python 18-ft drag boat for purchase, one of 33 ever made, had a Ford 514 in it. It kicked a rod out of the pan on the test drive...dead smack in the middle of Lake Berryessa on a Monday.
The guy took the boat back. (I later bought it blown up for $1000 and parted it out and made several thou. :D )
LO

victorfb
02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
oh great paul, put salt in the wound why dont ya? lol
sorry to hear about the motor rockn, but it sounds like youll have a much better power plant for the long run.

Danhercules
02-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Looks like I will be putting in a 502. Price wise it looks like a better deal. For the upgrades and HP I want. This 454 will be for sale soon as is. It has only 76 hours on it and one head is taken off. I am sure that it can make a great 330hp motor for someone. Any one interested.
Tryin to keep up with little brother with a bigger chevy? LOL
By the way, dose this 502 have steel heads on it?