PDA

View Full Version : Cat vs. V ??

Swoop
10-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm about to go for my next boat and im going from a 25' Shockwave closed bow V to either a larger V or a Cat the same size or larger. Totally confused any good/bad things to say about either? Opinions, id love to hear them!

Strippoker
10-06-2007, 02:42 PM
depends on the area you boat. Cat and the ocean unless you go big not the best combination. V and the ocean great...... Feel like on a air cushion Cat. yeah room and all that comes into play but My wife was a v fan for years now she is 1000000% Cat Fan the ride on havasu on a chop day is amazing.
oh yeah Insurance not all that bad at all depending on your MPH

Swoop
10-06-2007, 02:48 PM
V would be 30ft (Kachina) open bow
Cat would be 26 Eliminator closed bow
I really would like the extra space in the front, but if the ride is much better in a cat (i have only been in 2 and it was a long time ago) that would really be nice. Coming from a 25 V (closed bow) the extra 5 ft would make it a smoother ride as well wouldnt say? or the cat just cuts through chop no matter what?
95% of the boating would be done in havasu.

GHT
10-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm about to go for my next boat and im going from a 25' Shockwave closed bow V to either a larger V or a Cat the same size or larger. Totally confused any good/bad things to say about either? Opinions, id love to hear them!
OH BOY.... What a way to start a Posting Career! Just to let you know Swoop, there is no right answer here on HB... Just get what you like and have fun.
Oh, by the way "V's" are by far the best!:D

GHT
10-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I really would like the extra space in the front, but if the ride is much better in a cat (i have only been in 2 and it was a long time ago) that would really be nice. Coming from a 25 V (closed bow) the extra 5 ft would make it a smoother ride as well wouldnt say? or the cat just cuts through chop no matter what?
Swoop, I got a 30' closed bow in the SPAM section for 50k ALL the bells and whistles!!! Just got another to replace it and need to sell it.

Swoop
10-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Hah thanks, I want all the input I can get just incase though!
If I get a V it will definitely be a open bow/mid cabin but there are not too many cat's I have seen that I like with an open bow option(mid cabin) only a full open which I don't want -most likely cannot use it as a right off then.
I could go new and go for an ultra or shockwave open bow but there are too many good deals out there with far more power for the same price if I dont build a new one.

Nord
10-06-2007, 03:32 PM
If your into going fast, expect high insurance with the cats............

Havasu Hangin'
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thread-ugly.gif

ChumpChange
10-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I personally like the room I get with a V. I've ridden in cats as well and they are truly different. Do some more test runs and see what you like.

PHOTOGLOU
10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/thread-ugly.gif
:devil:

Havasu Hangin'
10-06-2007, 03:43 PM
:devil:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2007catalina.jpg
:jawdrop:

phebus
10-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Depends on where you are doing your boating, but for Havasu, I wouldn't own anything but a cat. I would sacrifice the storage room of a vee for the ride quality of a cat anyday. I have owned both, and luckily I am in the position of getting to ride on many different boats, so my opinion is based on the experience of many different manufacturers boats and lengths.

shadow
10-06-2007, 04:18 PM
:idea: Let me see Eliminator "Cat" or V bottom Kachina
Not to dis anyones boat but HP being equal this is a no brainer compare the 2 in person
then take a ride and all your questions should be answered.

TCHB
10-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Size matters in all boats
The 26 cat is a sports car on water. Pretty shallow inside, limited space, fast and rides nice. I have spent a few hours in our friends DCB 26 and it is just what I thought. Sports Car on Water.
If you look at a 29 Shockwave it is much bigger, heavier, roomier and much more comfortable boat. Yes you can stand up in it to drive. This is a big plus when the water gets heavy.
I have ridden in a 30ft Sleekcraft during a poker run and in handled heavy water pretty good. Standing up was very nice compared to sitting down. I am sure the 26ft would have been faster but I am not sure the ride overall would have been better after a couple hours sitting.
It is hard to compare apples and oranges.
1. How many people in the boat most of the time
2. Do you plan on spending the day out on the lake or in the channel?
I have not never ridden in a Kachina so I can not give advice.

boatnam2
10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
ONE WORD....INSURANCE start your boat looking quest there.

Kilrtoy
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh, by the way "V's" are by far the best!:D
I think he is referring to Vagina, hence the cat

ULTRA26 # 1
10-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree the it's difficult to compare a 26' cat and a 30' V. The decision must be based on the type and speed of boating you enjoy. I can say from experience that a cat rides better on Havasu type chop than a similar size V. Cats do not turn as well as V's, and cats, to some, are more difficult to drive. Cats don't plane as quickly as V's, and cats may cost a bit more to insure. Again I am referring to similar size boats.
When comparing a 30 V to a 26 cat, power and budget become a large part of the equation. It's going to take much more power and fuel to push a 30' V to 65 MPH than a 26' cat. If you're planning on boating in the ocean, then the 30' V no doubt is your only choice. If you are a lake only boater, (95% Havasu) then you need to consider your needs, likes and budget.
My choice would be the cat
Whatever you choose, enjoy your new boat.

BadKachina
10-06-2007, 07:41 PM
My 30' vee has been able to handle anything LHC has to offer. Not to say that the ride wouldn't be drier in a cat, you'll need to tuck the drive, which will use more fuel and put the bow in the water but I can still run wot in any chop I've seen in LHC. You won't have a cabin in a 26 cat. I have a 7' bed that can sleep two adults, with my 11 year old next to us in the mid cabin. The cat will run faster, drier and more efficiently, you'll still have storage underneath. You'll be able to sit 5 people in the mid-cabin of the Kachina and eat, talk or what ever, you won't be doing that in a 26 Eliminator. Oh and the bottom of the Kachina is the same as the 28 Sleek, the Magic Wizard, and the Conquest. It's been around to say the least. Each time it has a new top, steps in different places, notched transoms, what ever, but it all started the same way.
Kachina is ***boat's whipping boy so you'll have to see for yourself and not believe everything you read. They've come a long way recently but so have all the others including Eliminator. I've seen specimens from both that would scare you in the past, but the industry itself has evolved considerably.

phebus
10-07-2007, 10:25 AM
O.K. here is my take on lake/river boats. People talk about cabin space, but who wants to go down in an oven in 110+ heat. So, a cabin is out, why not use all your boat. So, people go with mid cabin/cuddys. Now you get to use most of your boat, but get to bang your head hopping through the unusable space you have whenever you dock or beach. That leads us to deck boats. Bingo, why not be able to use all the boat that you paid good money for?
For Havasu (where I boat) a deckboat is my best option right? That makes the decision to get a cat deckboat doesn't it.
Well, lets take it a step further. How much of your time is spent driving the boat vs. sitting in a cove or the channel? I would bet that most people sit a minimum of 80 plus percent of the time. So, why not have the most comfortable amount of usable deck space? That leads us to a pontoon boat. By far the most comfortable boat with the most amount of usable space. Plus, with the newer performance toons, you can get somewhere at 40+ mph. Friends are always surprised that when we run somewhere how soon we get there after them. :D

hkunz
10-07-2007, 12:35 PM
That leads us to a pontoon boat. By far the most comfortable boat with the most amount of usable space. Plus, with the newer performance toons, you can get somewhere at 40+ mph. Friends are always surprised that when we run somewhere how soon we get there after them. :D
But you can't make them pretty. Our son has one and loves it, but anything done to improve the appearance is like putting tight hot pants on a 500 pound hooker. If looks/style isn't important, but basic function is, the 'toon might be the way to go.

phebus
10-07-2007, 12:43 PM
But you can't make them pretty. Our son has one and loves it, but anything done to improve the appearance is like putting tight hot pants on a 500 pound hooker. If looks/style isn't important, but basic function is, the 'toon might be the way to go.
Function over form. :D

Havasu1986
10-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Function over form. :D
Do they come in any color other then yellow. :eek: :D

phebus
10-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Do they come in any color other then yellow. :eek: :D
Just ugly yellow. :D

Swoop
10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree the it's difficult to compare a 26' cat and a 30' V. The decision must be based on the type and speed of boating you enjoy. I can say from experience that a cat rides better on Havasu type chop than a similar size V. Cats do not turn as well as V's, and cats, to some, are more difficult to drive. Cats don't plane as quickly as V's, and cats may cost a bit more to insure. Again I am referring to similar size boats.
When comparing a 30 V to a 26 cat, power and budget become a large part of the equation. It's going to take much more power and fuel to push a 30' V to 65 MPH than a 26' cat. If you're planning on boating in the ocean, then the 30' V no doubt is your only choice. If you are a lake only boater, (95% Havasu) then you need to consider your needs, likes and budget.
My choice would be the cat
Whatever you choose, enjoy your new boat.
27 Ultra shadow cat with a mid-cabin/open bow is also an option but you cannot really find those used, if so its rare since they dont pump out too many boats it seems. Building a new one, with a decent amount of options is really really expensive for what you get-but thats what happens when you go new.....

Swoop
10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
The reason I ruled out a deckboat or full open is I don't think I can write that off, I mean you can try but you have a much better chance saying you can sleep in the boat 14 days out of the year if you at least have a mid cabin?

phebus
10-07-2007, 03:46 PM
The reason I ruled out a deckboat or full open is I don't think I can write that off, I mean you can try but you have a much better chance saying you can sleep in the boat 14 days out of the year if you at least have a mid cabin?
Not true. Most deck boats have sinks and porta-potties. Throw a bbq on, and you've got yourself a second home. :D

Swoop
10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Hmmm.... You don't even need a sink just "contained water" whatever you want that to be... I just dont hear about too many people writing off something without a cabin/sleeping area.... I wonder...

prkr247
10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
V unless you have a lot of HP's....You can put porta potty, water on any boat to write it off.....you decide....

Havasu_Dreamin
10-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Had a 21 ft v, a 29 ft v and now have a 28 ft deck. Love(d) each boat for it's own reasons. But for overall use and ride quality I'll take our 28 ft deck.....

acatitude
10-07-2007, 04:42 PM
If you think you might want a V, then don't drive a cat:D

phebus
10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
If you think you might want a V, then don't drive a cat:D
Word.............

Lavey29
10-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Swoop, if you are interested, I have a 29 Lavey Nuera for sale with an Eickert 850 in it. Runs right at 100 and cruises all day at 70mph at 4000rpm. Top of the line rigging throughout and dialed in by Teague. Pics and all info in spam or OSO or you can PM me for further. Give away price right now and have financing available. Boat is also tax deductible. Let me know if any interest....thanks...
Marc

finsfan4life
10-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Just got my Placecraft (23 ft cat), had a V before. Just got back from 30 mph winds in Havasu...The boat rode awsome. Much nicer ride than a V.
As far as the storage room, not a big differance, at least when I was looking at both the Placecraft compard to a 23 ft Lightning (v bottom). I actually think my Placecraft has more room.
Insurance...Always hear the comments about the high rate for cat's. I found no differance (checked both State Farm and AAA), I pay $530 a year (AAA)with a four month "Lay up" option (with 496 mag).

Strippoker
10-08-2007, 06:27 AM
27 Ultra shadow cat with a mid-cabin/open bow is also an option but you cannot really find those used, if so its rare since they dont pump out too many boats it seems. Building a new one, with a decent amount of options is really really expensive for what you get-but thats what happens when you go new.....
We have several 27 used on the list. And a new ready to go 26 shadow depends on what you are looking for price wise. Give me a call at the shop on tuesday.

Not So Fast
10-08-2007, 07:03 AM
O.K. here is my take on lake/river boats. People talk about cabin space, but who wants to go down in an oven in 110+ heat. So, a cabin is out, why not use all your boat. So, people go with mid cabin/cuddys. Now you get to use most of your boat, but get to bang your head hopping through the unusable space you have whenever you dock or beach. That leads us to deck boats. Bingo, why not be able to use all the boat that you paid good money for?
For Havasu (where I boat) a deckboat is my best option right? That makes the decision to get a cat deckboat doesn't it.
Well, lets take it a step further. How much of your time is spent driving the boat vs. sitting in a cove or the channel? I would bet that most people sit a minimum of 80 plus percent of the time. So, why not have the most comfortable amount of usable deck space? That leads us to a pontoon boat. By far the most comfortable boat with the most amount of usable space. Plus, with the newer performance toons, you can get somewhere at 40+ mph. Friends are always surprised that when we run somewhere how soon we get there after them. :D
Wat too profound and logical:D NSF

Keith E. Sayre
10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
As for writing off the boat as a second home, everyone I know writes them all
off. Doesn't really matter the type of boat that it is.
Lots of good responses on this thread. Here are a couple of other ideas.
Most 28' type deckboats have about 150 times the "usable" storage space
as any v bottom. They also usually have built in and very usable ice chests. They will also have the great ride that others have mentioned and more speed and more fuel efficiency than the v bottoms. They look sexier, are
funner to drive and best of all, they have much better resale at the current time due to demand. With the exception of some of the storage space, the
normal 26' to 28' cats with mid cabin open bow also have all the above
bonuses in most cases.
The V bottom will generally plane a bit faster and can deal with the really
rough water better. Those are the 2 advantages of the v bottom.
So as most stated, if you're boating in the deep blue, a v bottom is
probably the way to go. If you're at Havasu doing the normal stuff,
a cat or a cat deckboat would be my obvious choice. If you simply
enjoy sitting on your butt and don't get any thrills out of boating
anymore, buy a cooler and a "yellow lounge chair" and go sit in the channel
with the aluminum can guys and save yourself $50,000.
Keith Sayre

ChumpChange
10-08-2007, 10:36 AM
It's all user preference. I would love to have a cat because they look cool but I'm just a V guy. Just the way I was born.

shippingguy
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I have this exact boat you speak of. There are a few out there for sale for great prices as well. You will also be amazed at how much storage there is. It has as much if not more storage than a lot of V's out there. The front sponsons open up on both sides and are ALL STORAGE as well as a ski locker, under the cuddy seats, back bench and side panels.
Mike

Rising Sun
10-08-2007, 03:05 PM
There is a lot to think about and the advice offered by everyone is good. What it all boils down to is that you are going to have to make a decision based on what you want, not what others think. The more you think about it the worse it's going to get. Feel free to contact me if you decide that you want a Daytona. I will make the price right for you.
Ron Tanikawa
Eliminator Boats
10795 San Sevaine
Mira Loma, 91752
951-681-1222

SternDrive1
10-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm also ready to move up but I have a couple of more questions.
Are there differences in the weight of the boats? Is a 26' Cat lighter or heavier than a 26' V? Is one easier than the other to get onto the trailer?
Sounds silly but since my wife weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet, so it's up to me to wrestle with the boat when loading it and she drives it on. We're usually alone when we load the boat onto the trailer.

shippingguy
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Are there differences in the weight of the boats? Is a 26' Cat lighter or heavier than a 26' V? Is one easier than the other to get onto the trailer?
Sounds silly but since my wife weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet, so it's up to me to wrestle with the boat when loading it and she drives it on. We're usually alone when we load the boat onto the trailer.
Depends on model and builder. A cat is by far WAY EASIER to trailer than a V.
Mike

voodoomedman
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Cat's might weigh a little more since there's usually more glass but it probably depends on each boat and manufacturer and the layup. Get the weights of the boats you are comparing. As far as driving the boats on the trailer I think that depends on what part you need to be easier. A V is easy to drive on initially but if you come in to fast at an angle you can easily drive over your fenders or be crooked or just pull out of the water and not be on right or be on your steps or whatever. A cat you have to get lined up pretty much perfectly to get started but once the bunks are in the tunnels then they are going to guide the boat on straight. Of course if you don't mind looking like a newbie and having rails in the way when your cleaning the boat you can get your V trailer with guides on it.

Swoop
10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I really like the daytona's and I know you can get a full open on them but if I go new, I can't get anything better then a 496ho in there for 85k or so which I told myself was the cutoff, a bit more would be ok but from what I know if I go Eliminator it will have to be slightly used. Ultra is still looking good but to put a 525 in there its still 100k from what I have found out....

40FlatDeck
10-09-2007, 08:01 AM
You need to really check out a HTM. They have tons of room for the kids, tons of storage, and a nice little sleeping area. We did plenty of over nighters on my HTM.
Ask any HTM owner and they will say the same thing. The haters will be coming along shortly............:rolleyes:
Erik

hkunz
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Depends on model and builder. A cat is by far WAY EASIER to trailer than a V.
Mike
I think a tunnel is the easiest to trailer, even more so than a cat. You just can't get it wrong unless you don't drive on far enough. A pontoon and a shallow V are the hardest, although for different reasons - the 'toon has a huge sail area relative to the forces on the hull, so gets blown around and crossed up. The shallow V has almost no cross force on the water to keep it straight, so it crosses up.
If you really want a challenge when trailering, put the bimini up and have your DIL screaming and whining (at the top of her lungs) cause she's scared.

shippingguy
10-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I think a tunnel is the easiest to trailer, even more so than a cat. You just can't get it wrong unless you don't drive on far enough. A pontoon and a shallow V are the hardest, although for different reasons - the 'toon has a huge sail area relative to the forces on the hull, so gets blown around and crossed up. The shallow V has almost no cross force on the water to keep it straight, so it crosses up.
If you really want a challenge when trailering, put the bimini up and have your DIL screaming and whining (at the top of her lungs) cause she's scared.
The cat is the same as a tunnel. You have two bunks. You cannot get a cat on the trailer wrong.

Waist Deep
10-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Not an expert here, but we bought our first V since 98' ( 25' Nordic open bow with a mid) and love the room to get up and move around. The kids like the mid cabin. I will say that I miss the ride of a cat,tunnel, but the comfort when floating or just cruising will keep me in the V.
Now, if I were to buy for looks, I'd get a cat.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
What is a DIL?

shippingguy
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
What is a DIL?
I am going to take a gues and say DAUGHTER-IN-LAW??

40FlatDeck
10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
The cat is the same as a tunnel. You have two bunks. You cannot get a cat on the trailer wrong.
You should try putting mine on.:D

shippingguy
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
You should try putting mine on.:D
Leave me the keys so I can practice. It may take me a week. You know I want to be able to do it perfectly so the more time I have the boat the better:D .

40FlatDeck
10-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Leave me the keys so I can practice. It may take me a week. You know I want to be able to do it perfectly so the more time I have the boat the better:D .
You know what they say, practice makes perfect!:D Just bring it back with full tanks........360 gallons...........of AV gas.:)

ULTRA26 # 1
10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I am going to take a gues and say DAUGHTER-IN-LAW??
That would suggest an adult screaming and whining at the top of her lungs Yow. :2purples:

shippingguy
10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
You know what they say, practice makes perfect!:D Just bring it back with full tanks........360 gallons...........of AV gas.:)
No problem with the gas let me know when. :D

Fast Freddy
10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2007catalina.jpg
:jawdrop:
looks like another cat killer to me.......
how many cigs did he smoke?