PDA

View Full Version : Winter upgrades? Who's doing what?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I have noticed that its been a rough year for several people including myself. I know some peeps are planning some bitchin upgrades. Who's doing what this winter?
I plan on finishing my gullwing within the next few months.
Im powdercoating the trailer white and then laying down candy blue and baby blue flames all over it. Also kicking around the idea of installing some juice on the 468:idea:

OverKill
10-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Well I got a little head start, but I am putting on a nitrous kit, re geling the deck and doing some painting on the trailer. Thanks for asking
OverKill

Nucking futs
10-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I have noticed that its been a rough year for several people including myself. I know some peeps are planning some bitchin upgrades. Who's doing what this winter?
I plan on finishing my gullwing within the next few months.
Im powdercoating the trailer white and then laying down candy blue and baby blue flames all over it. Also kicking around the idea of installing some juice on the 468:idea:
What happened to the 540 build?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
What happened to the 540 build?
$$ got tight and I did some careless spending:D so I changed direction. Picked up a lumi rodded 468 13-1 short block from Neil(sdpm) and plan on running that for the time being. 540 is still on the agenda;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Well I got a little head start, but I am putting on a nitrous kit, re geling the deck and doing some painting on the trailer. Thanks for asking
OverKill
Did you get the nitrous installed? When are you planning to run it? How much are you going to spray?

vee-driven
10-06-2007, 03:58 PM
My winter upgrades on my rayson craft 21' are, i already removed the punk ass 8-71 blown 468 with the wimpy emi thunder exhaust, and this week i set in a blown 572 with a mooneyham hi helix 14-71 with dual 1150 dominaters, superchiller, dart 360 heads, solid roller cam, merlin 2 block, callies crank, oliver billet rods, je pistons, msd 7ml2 ignition, polished cmi split tube top headers. This combo on race gas with 15lbs of boost should put out around 1400hp. I am also puttin some 40 gears in the casale and maybe a new trailer or repaint the one under it.
before
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/newraysoncraftpics006.jpg
after
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/572002.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/572001.jpg

OverKill
10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Did you get the nitrous installed? When are you planning to run it? How much are you going to spray?
Mike
Everything is installed, just have to clean up the wireing, fill the bottle and let her rip. I'm gonna start out at a 50 shot and work my way up. My kit starts from 50 and goes to 250.
I will probably run it the first part of November when I can start to walk again.
OverKill

Bow Tie Omega
10-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Having everything above the rubrail taken down to the fiberglass and having it re-gelcoated, same colors. Took it out to Pleasant 2 weeks ago and had a small oil leak. I am going to fix that as well. Other that, she is done

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Why dont you run a set of bassett's??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Mike
Everything is installed, just have to clean up the wireing, fill the bottle and let her rip. I'm gonna start out at a 50 shot and work my way up. My kit starts from 50 and goes to 250.
I will probably run it the first part of November when I can start to walk again.
OverKill
Nice:) Post the numbers when you start. I would like to see the mph and rpm difference per 50hp.
Whats in your pump? Impeller/shaft/etc?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Having everything above the rubrail taken down to the fiberglass and having it re-gelcoated, same colors. Took it out to Pleasant 2 weeks ago and had a small oil leak. I am going to fix that as well. Other that, she is done
Is your boat the one that barney gel coated back in the day?
Whats it going to cost you to re-gel?

IMPATIENT 1
10-06-2007, 06:09 PM
$$ got tight and I did some careless spending:D so I changed direction. Picked up a lumi rodded 468 13-1 short block from Neil(sdpm) and plan on running that for the time being. 540 is still on the agenda;)
mike, ya know how my summer went:mad: well i changed directions and went back to nitrous motors. i'm building a 13to1 505, with a shit load of nitrous. already had someone is new york build me a sweet lookin 1050 dominator, got me a single plane, waiting on my nitrous kit:D upgrading the impellor, double drilling the bowl to droop. got to rebuild the trailer, damn bunk floated off it last trip out:mad:

vee-driven
10-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Why dont you run a set of bassett's??
Because i am running the exhaust through the transom, i set the pipes up there to see where i am going to have to angle cut them and reweld to get them to go from point A to point B, It should be fun since they are water jacketed.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/09270616221.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
10-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Is your boat the one that barney gel coated back in the day?
Whats it going to cost you to re-gel?
Yep,poor prep and bad filler resulted in 26 cracks, not a single one is down to the fiberglass. $4000 for sanding it all off, and shooting it, same scheme. This is above the rub rail only. I want to get it done and put this BS behind me since he has no intention of making things right, no matter what he tells other. With that being said, whats done is done, karma will bite him in the ass hard one day for doing what he did to several of us hot boaters. I am just happy to have it done with once and for all.

OverKill
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Nice:) Post the numbers when you start. I would like to see the mph and rpm difference per 50hp.
Whats in your pump? Impeller/shaft/etc?
;) You got it Mike, I'll send you a PM to see if you want go with.
OverKill

Xlration Marine
10-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I just started work on a new plug. Should be going in the spring. I've had enough of the low freeboard thing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Yep,poor prep and bad filler resulted in 26 cracks, not a single one is down to the fiberglass. $4000 for sanding it all off, and shooting it, same scheme. This is above the rub rail only. I want to get it done and put this BS behind me since he has no intention of making things right, no matter what he tells other. With that being said, whats done is done, karma will bite him in the ass hard one day for doing what he did to several of us hot boaters. I am just happy to have it done with once and for all.
That sucks :(
I saw that boat when I was in his shop back in the day. Im not going to defend Jay in any way but he did me right back in the day. He hooked me up with a bunch of materials when I was out there. Im sorry to hear that you had such a hard time:( Hopefully you can get it fixed the right way.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
;) You got it Mike, I'll send you a PM to see if you want go with.
OverKill
Sounds good to me brotha;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I just started work on a new plug. Should be going in the spring. I've had enough of the low freeboard thing.
Like??????
Please elaborate.....

Xlration Marine
10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Like??????
Please elaborate.....
I would have to shoot you. Just going to have to see in the spring. But I will slow down a bit when I pass you.lol

SmokinLowriderSS
10-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Lowrider ran like a scalded dog all summer.
The NOS Sniper kit working beautifully too.
The '049 heads come off the 454 today, and go to Saum Engineering for work Monday.
Stage 1 porting
Larger valves
Guides sleeved down to take 11/32" stems.
Gonna find out next year just how much HP was hiding in there below 6,000RPM. :D :D
Should be all kinds of fun. :idea: :)

Longstr
10-07-2007, 06:14 AM
:D Upgrading to a NEW...... BOAT:D

1968Droptop
10-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Installing my (new to me) BDS super chiller. Going from 5 to 10 pouinds of boost :D.
Engine will see the dyno for final tuning.
Painting pump with Imrom instead of Krylon.
Painting trailer to match the hull. The stripes will carry down from the side of the boat right onto the trailer (6 different colors).
P.S. How's the body healing after the big crash Mike ?

BOOGEYMAN
10-07-2007, 08:12 AM
509 (or 540), twin turbo(s400sx's or gts 76's frpm precision), meth injection, new bowl and impeller, ride plate and shoe.
Travis

Unchained
10-07-2007, 08:12 AM
My list just got longer yesterday.
The #2 exh lifter and the cam lobe had a disagreement and the lifter lost.
The roller shattered into about 4 pieces.
No warning at all, I was just crusing along at 3000 rpm and she let go.
Funny thing was it took most of the pieces of the roller, the whole axle, and several of the needles and threw them up through the oil drain slot above the cam. They were all laying in the lifter valley. Now the remains of the lifter is stuck in the bore. I think it spread the end of the lifter where the axle was and that is what's got it stuck in the bore.
Other than that repair I need to glass wood inside the transom to reinforce it,
Add more cav plates and a down pedal,
Change to a larger prop shaft,
Build a new strut, and add a whirlaway.
Other than those things I have a pretty easy off season. ;)

Hass828
10-07-2007, 08:27 AM
My list just got longer yesterday.
The #2 exh lifter and the cam lobe had a disagreement and the lifter lost.
The roller shattered into about 4 pieces.
No warning at all, I was just crusing along at 3000 rpm and she let go.
Funny thing was it took most of the pieces of the roller, the whole axle, and several of the needles and threw them up through the oil drain slot above the cam. They were all laying in the lifter valley. Now the remains of the lifter is stuck in the bore. I think it spread the end of the lifter where the axle was and that is what's got it stuck in the bore.
Other than that repair I need to glass wood inside the transom to reinforce it,
Add more cav plates and a down pedal,
Change to a larger prop shaft,
Build a new strut, and add a whirlaway.
Other than those things I have a pretty easy off season. ;)
Hey Mark, I took the advice of my locale engine shop and changed my roller lifters last winter and sure enough I'm glad I did because one had a bad spot and a cracked roller. Caught it just in time. The old ones were Comp cams stuff, Ive had bad luck with there stuff so the new ones are crower sever duty with high press. pin oilers. There supposed to last 3 times as long.

Unchained
10-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Mark, I took the advice of my locale engine shop and changed my roller lifters last winter and sure enough I'm glad I did because one had a bad spot and a cracked roller. Caught it just in time. The old ones were Comp cams stuff, Ive had bad luck with there stuff so the new ones are crower sever duty with high press. pin oilers. There supposed to last 3 times as long.
I had all my lifters out and did a thorough inspection when I had the engine apart in July which was probably about 15 hours of running time ago and everything looked good.
I had Lunati's and wouldn't use them again. I was going to switch to Comps until I read your post. Now I'll shoot for the Crowers like you suggested.
I read before that they should just be thrown away after a number of hours.
That's hard to do but probably is the best thing.
Considering the amount of hours I put on it every year I am going to downsize the cam to put less stress on the valve train. Any decrease in performance can easily be regained by a couple more # of boost if required.

IMPATIENT 1
10-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I had all my lifters out and did a thorough inspection when I had the engine apart in July which was probably about 15 hours of running time ago and everything looked good.
I had Lunati's and wouldn't use them again. I was going to switch to Comps until I read your post. Now I'll shoot for the Crowers like you suggested.
Considering the amount of hours I put on it every year I am going to downsize the cam to put less stress on the valve train. Any decrease in performance can easily be regained by a couple more # of boost if required.
now you guys have me reconsidering my comp rollers:( i've been runnin a "soft" blower cam from comp and it only requires 155lb of seat pressure, i set them at 170lbs though, so i'm sure the rollers haven't been under to much stress, they look good still. i ran them at 7k plenty and the lower spring pressure was unnoticeable.

squirt'nmyload
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
as long as something doesn't break i won't be doing anything.....i'll be too busy using it!! :D :D

OverKill
10-07-2007, 02:22 PM
as long as something doesn't break i won't be doing anything.....i'll be too busy using it!! :D :D
Brian I thought your intake was loose, and you were going to reset it this winter. If your gonna do that yourself let me know if I can give you a hand. I should be out of the chair by then.
OverKill

cave
10-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey you better be resting them hoofs!:D That way you can actually lend a helping hand. To many got dam chiefs no got dam Indians...:D :D :D :jawdrop:

squirt'nmyload
10-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Brian I thought your intake was loose, and you were going to reset it this winter. If your gonna do that yourself let me know if I can give you a hand. I should be out of the chair by then.
OverKill
not really "loose"......just have some cracks in the epoxy. that won't take but a day or 2 to fix and i'm not doing it myself :)

OverKill
10-07-2007, 04:00 PM
not really "loose"......just have some cracks in the epoxy. that won't take but a day or 2 to fix and i'm not doing it myself :)
Phil Bergeron (480) 834-1531 :D ;) :D

OverKill
10-07-2007, 04:04 PM
Hey you better be resting them hoofs!:D That way you can actually lend a helping hand. To many got dam chiefs no got dam Indians...:D :D :D :jawdrop:
No S**t Jimmy. I am just gonna have to ride this one out for a month. I'm gonna take it real easy so I don't end up back in the operating room again.
Hey lets get together sometime. I get pretty bored here at the house just doing nothing.
OverKill

RitcheyRch
10-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Going to get my trailer refurbished and a new boat cover made.

cave
10-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for a 19' Cheyenne or Stealth:D less motor. Finally!!!
Phil Bergeron (480) 834-1531
Big Jim your killing me.

vee-driven
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
i have an eliminater scorpion, it's what the cheyanne was splashed from, it's in the spam section under 1980 eliminater scorpion, check it out.

Squirtcha?
10-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm thinking about washing mine.:D

DelawareDave
10-08-2007, 08:54 AM
That should keep you busy all winter! :D

Squirtcha?
10-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Whoa there DD. I said "I was thinking about it". :D

n8dawg
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
My winter project: Drinking beer and trying to stay warm! I hate the winter time;)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-08-2007, 03:12 PM
My winter project is going to be burning as much gas as possible at the lake.

McIntyrelocal
10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
going from my stock tunnelram motor to my blown 482, from a flat keel to round keel hopefully new paint.

cstraub
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
The Morel pressure fed series is another option. Fully pressure fed oiling to needles and 100% rebuildable. Machine from 8620 tools steel body. Available in .842/.875 and .904 Diameter.

TRG
10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Hopefuly finish my project by labor ay 08'!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Phil Bergeron (480) 834-1531 :D ;) :D
Awww hell :D :D Do we call him to setup nitrous:D:D:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Dan, you may have to wash it TWICCE :D :D :D
Hopefully you get this one :D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
My winter project: Drinking beer and trying to stay warm! I hate the winter time;)
You and me both. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:
But then again, I will be installing a heater in my new garage :D This will help with those cold nights;) back in the day I used to freeze my azz all night working on my boat....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-08-2007, 10:55 PM
My winter project is going to be burning as much gas as possible at the lake.
Dont rub it in focker :D :D

77Woodbridge
10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
I was supposed to have the heads redone last year and didn't. After overheating twice this season from sucking sand and crap up and then hearing the stories of tulipped valves and cracked stems I'm getting it done this winter.
I'm also hoping santa will give me a new stereo. :D

85CARRIBEAN
10-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Alot of plans for this winter for me. Wanting to re-wire the whole boat w/fresh wires, new spray of clear on the deck, new bassett headers, chrome valve covers, and scoop. Needs a bit TLC for 2008.
This is my first boat, just picked it up a month ago. As time goes on, i'll post progress pics later to come. Hope to see more of everyone in the near future.
-Nandi

jetboatperformance
10-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Got my new Gen 5 ready for my family boat just need to find time to dump it in... Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/miller%20project%202/DSC07229.jpg