PDA

View Full Version : Can A Pump Be Matched to HP Just with Stator Change?

Michael2000
10-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I spoke to a guy at Panther, and they apparently only have one impeller. I asked him how the same pump with the same impeller could be made to work with a 300 hp engine, and also a 500 hp engine, without a huge change in RPM. He said they do it by changing the stator. He says they have one customer running 112 mph with a 900 hp engine, but he didn't say what RPM he was running. I guess I'm not following this. If the impeller only "bites" a certain amount of water per revolution, and both engines run at the same RPM, how is the stator going to make enough of a difference, especially without losing a lot of efficiency. Perhaps someone could clarify this for me.
Michael

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I spoke to a guy at Panther, and they apparently only have one impeller. I asked him how the same pump with the same impeller could be made to work with a 300 hp engine, and also a 500 hp engine, without a huge change in RPM. He said they do it by changing the stator. He says they have one customer running 112 mph with a 900 hp engine, but he didn't say what RPM he was running. I guess I'm not following this. If the impeller only "bites" a certain amount of water per revolution, and both engines run at the same RPM, how is the stator going to make enough of a difference, especially without losing a lot of efficiency. Perhaps someone could clarify this for me.
Michael
i would love to see that panther thats running 112:eek::eek:

SmokinLowriderSS
10-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Doesn't smell right to me either.

Longstr
10-07-2007, 06:10 AM
I have been told the same thing when I called and talked to them. :confused: I would like to see it as well... :D

jetboatperformance
10-07-2007, 07:13 AM
I have been told the same thing when I called and talked to them. :confused: I would like to see it as well... :D
I'd have to agree with Smokin'& 396 here... Tom
SmokinLowriderSS, "Doesn't smell right to me either".
396, "i would love to see that panther thats running 112"

H20MOFO
10-07-2007, 07:25 AM
based on the r's of my old panther 6k=60mph ,i'd say that guy is turnin about 11.5k

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Im not doggin' panther pumps by any means. I just NEVER heard of anything like that!!!! If they were doing that then they would be all over the track. I go to the races faithfully twice a year and pay close attention to EVERYTHING. i have never seen a panther out there........

RCB19
10-07-2007, 10:58 AM
What's a stator?:confused:

Longstr
10-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Panthers complicated name for BOWL...:D

texas-19
10-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Michael
My first jet had a panther pump on it.This was before i knew about the hot boat forum.So i was real green.I could not go over 68 mph without the pump cavitating.I called panther marine and got the same song only i fell for it.$3000.00 dollars later i was still going 68 mph.He had all kinds of "ideas" but nothing worked.He basically said your SOL.
Bottom line if you don't want to go faster than 70 MPH the panther is fine.
I HAVE NOT HEARD SOMEONE ON HERE ACTUALLY SAY THEY HAVE GONE OVER 70 MPH WITH A PANTHER ONLY HEAR -SAY.
Everytime i hear "panther" i get a burning sensation around my wategate.:devil:
I sold the boat as fast as i could after that and just took the loss.
Don't matter what HP you throw at it,70 MPH is it.
If you stay under 475 to 500 HP you'll be fine,just depends on what you want.
I'd like the guys name and number that is running 112,bet you can't get it.

RCB19
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Panthers complicated name for BOWL...:D
Oh.

UBFJ #454
10-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Stator is the technical name for a vein in a bowl. Stators are the veins in a bowl ... their principal purpose being to minimize turbulance (stabilize) and direct water flow through the bowl in as much a laminar flow fashion as possible.
Massaging/modifying the stators from their production cast form (typically done on Berkeley, Dominator/AMT Type Race pumps) increases the efficiency of flow of the water through the bowl (rate of flow through/volumetric efficiency of the bowl maximizing the psi presented to the nozzle to maximize the Thrust out the nozzle) and, if anything, allows the motor to rev higher with a Given Impeller ... in other words, one can increase the rpm's a motor will turn with a given impeller by 'working' the stators 'down in syrface area', but, you cannot decrease the rev's ... unless you weld restrictions to the stators (restrictions in the bowl) to decrease the flow throw rate to increase the psi on the backside of the impeller and in the bowl.
The above is why, in my opinion, the Panther Design is not really a good pump system for anything other than a Recreational Lake/River Boat which can make reasonable speeds (70's) in the Lake/River Environments ... It's design precludes it from being a Serious Race Boat Pump ..... Unless one has "Boo Coup" Bucks (the 5 Digit Kind), can find someone Qualified & Willing to take on such a project and ... was willing to put up with everything that came with such a Re-Development Project.

OverKill
10-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Tell him that's EBAY speed and you just want the truth :D

SmokinLowriderSS
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Stator is the technical name for a vein in a bowl. Stators are the veins in a bowl ... their principal purpose being to minimize turbulance (stabilize) and direct water flow through the bowl in as much a laminar flow fashion as possible.
Massaging/modifying the stators from their production cast form (typically done on Berkeley, Dominator/AMT Type Race pumps) increases the efficiency of flow of the water through the bowl (rate of flow through/volumetric efficiency of the bowl maximizing the psi presented to the nozzle to maximize the Thrust out the nozzle) and, if anything, allows the motor to rev higher with a Given Impeller ... in other words, one can increase the rpm's a motor will turn with a given impeller by 'working' the stators 'down in syrface area', but, you cannot decrease the rev's ... unless you weld restrictions to the stators (restrictions in the bowl) to decrease the flow throw rate to increase the psi on the backside of the impeller and in the bowl.
The above is why, in my opinion, the Panther Design is not really a good pump system for anything other than a Recreational Lake/River Boat which can make reasonable speeds (70's) in the Lake/River Environments ... It's design precludes it from being a Serious Race Boat Pump ..... Unless one has "Boo Coup" Bucks (the 5 Digit Kind), can find someone Qualified & Willing to take on such a project and ... was willing to put up with everything that came with such a Re-Development Project.
There above lies most of the high speed problems of the panther. An almost purely axial flow (straight thru) pump design made to flow large volumes of water ant lower pressures where the Berk (and similar designs) are mixed flow that are designed to flow less water at higher pressures. The opposite sides of the same "generate thrust" coin.
One side works better at lower speeds, the other side works better at higher speeds.
Now (and it does not get more heresay than this) I have heard, of a guy, on the internet, who had his Panther-powered boat to 90mph. His posts claimed to involve a LOT of actually REDUCING the intake size as it was too big above speeds arround 70MPH, added a lot of drag, andf actually caused pump feeding problems.
I have no idea which website I ran accross this at, and I have no first-hand knowledge of it, but I saw it on the internet, so it MUST be true. :D
I DID personally read the posts claiming how he got to 90mph, but I remember no details of it.

IMPATIENT 1
10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I DID personally read the posts claiming how he got to 90mph, but I remember no details of it.
he was riding the crest of a tsunami, then came off the crest at wot and gps'd 90 on the way down:D and they said it couldn't be done!!!lol:D :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Maybe 90 going down the freeway with a duramax pulling it :D

SmokinLowriderSS
10-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Maybe 90 going down the freeway with a duramax pulling it :D
She was about 18" above I-35 in south-central Oklahoma at the time tho. :D
No Duramax, just Z-71 package Chevy wth a 350. :)
Can ya GET a Duramax up to 90 before the governor stops ya?:eek: :idea: :D

Michael2000
10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
There above lies most of the high speed problems of the panther. An almost purely axial flow (straight thru) pump design made to flow large volumes of water ant lower pressures where the Berk (and similar designs) are mixed flow that are designed to flow less water at higher pressures. The opposite sides of the same "generate thrust" coin.
One side works better at lower speeds, the other side works better at higher speeds.
Now (and it does not get more heresay than this) I have heard, of a guy, on the internet, who had his Panther-powered boat to 90mph. His posts claimed to involve a LOT of actually REDUCING the intake size as it was too big above speeds arround 70MPH, added a lot of drag, andf actually caused pump feeding problems.
I have no idea which website I ran accross this at, and I have no first-hand knowledge of it, but I saw it on the internet, so it MUST be true. :D
I think you are onto something here. When I spoke to the guy at Panther, he mentioned that the company use to be called Maritec. They patented some sort of variable "blow-in door" as he called it, which closed down the intake at high speed. I believe he said at high speed there was too much preload to the pump, and the door helped the entry of water to the impeller. He claimed they had one boat to 134 mph. They decided not to market it after one door malfunctioned, and the boat flipped. I guess they didn't want the liability.
Here's a company that incorporates a similar technology, plus a bunch more:
IntelliJet (http://www.marinejettech.com/)
Michael

Sleeper CP
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Here's a company that incorporates a similar technology, plus a bunch more:
IntelliJet (http://www.marinejettech.com/)
Michael
That vertual video is interesting, seems like a complicated system.:idea:
Good info BTW.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Wicked Performance Boats
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
There's a newbie on here named "Corndog" 19ft Mantra that runs 80mph. I built the 468 BBC a few years ago. When the panther pump was failing. He call Panther [oregon I believe] and they raced blueprinted for him for about $2600' I tried to get him to covert to a berkeley style but the Panther people convinced him a Panther was better! I told him nobody had ever beaten me with a panther and very few ever see a racetrack. He chose to stick with Panther. By the way this was done before Corndog bought it. I did GPS it at 80mph though and it's been a good boat. Pat

H20MOFO
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
mike2000 have you considered a "energizer kit" from jet boat performance? i'd go that route(and did) b-4 i'd try anything from panther. the panther energizer thread also covers somewhat the concept of the variable speed door for controlling intake pressure.