PDA

View Full Version : Cam question

Taylorman
05-12-2003, 07:19 PM
I am debating on how to install my timing chain. It has three settings, one for 4 degrees advanced, one for OEM spec and one for 4 degrees retarted. How should i set it. Its my 455, about 10:1 compression. Cam is 280 adv duration, 232 @.050, .517 lift and 110 lobe seperation. Bassetts with Offy tunnel ram and dual edelbrock 600's.

malcolm
05-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Well, most of the guys will tell you to degree the cam and then you'll know where to set it. But, the general rule is advanced is for torque and retarded is for horsepower. A 455 is not designed for use above 5500, so I would say advanced is the way to go. Not to mention you're getting a jump on the chain that's going to start stretching out as soon as you start it. :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-13-2003, 04:22 AM
Taylorman,
did they give you a card with the cam. If it doesn't say on the card I would call them and ask. I assume you have the comp cam 280. Call those boys and they can tell you where to set it also where to set your distributor timing. They have done all the research for you. Just a phone call away. good luck
Omega

Jim Hall
05-13-2003, 04:46 AM
Hey Omega, I was looking for you at Sommerville
this past weekend! I thought I saw you on trailor next to beige motor home. We buzzed the beach a couple of times but did not see anybody. Man the lake was rough and windy! We were at Yegua and
stayed relatively close to camp.

Taylorman
05-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Jim and omega, we are trying to get a few jet boats together for the 24th & 25th here in La. Its about a 4 hr drive from Houston where you two live. We will camp at a local campground and boat for two days. Try to make it. PM me and Ill give you my phone number if ya'll are interested. Its a pretty big deal, lots of boat and bands at the bars. Its a big time and would like to see a few jets out there.
Kevin