PDA

View Full Version : 454 rebuild - GS marine ???

HARDIN18
05-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Anyone know approx. how much it costs to have a 454 rebuilt. I am thinking of having GS marine rebuild my engine.

sidewound
05-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Lots of variables dude. Got any more info?
Peace Man
:cool: CESAR

HBjet
05-14-2003, 04:53 PM
What exactly do you want to do?
What are the specs on your motor now?
If you want another choice besides GS Marine, give dave at DNE a call. He's been working with me on my 454 for 3 years now and I keep going back to add more power!
DNE is located in Costa Mesa!
(949) 631-3781 Ask for Dave.
Also, at GS marine, I doubt Greg Shoemaker will be doing any of the work, but at DNE Dave does the work.
1 last thing. If your worried about cost, then shop around and see who your comfortable with.
HBjet
[ May 14, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

HARDIN18
05-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I don't know anything about the motor. I bought the boat 2 years ago. It has a high rise manifold with a single carb on it, bassett headers. I am taking the boat to GS marine to have the pump rebuilt. The engine ran good when I put it on the trailer last year. I ran it hard for two season's and don't want any problems once I get the pump going again. The boat ran high 60's low 70's. I would like to get a solid 75mph out of her.

BrendellaJet
05-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I dont want to flame anyone here, but I have a friend (actually my friends Dad) who had his 454 rebuilt there. I know Greg is supposed to be one of the best, but it did not show in the quality of the rebuild or the parts selected as there was a catostrophic failure 2 hours into the maiden voyage. I dont know how things were settled, but I dont think it went very well for them, and the repair process took WAY too long.

roostwear
05-14-2003, 06:40 PM
HB,
Isn't Dave REALLY close to Jack? (hint, hint)

HOSS
05-14-2003, 06:46 PM
GC,,,,,a hole hell of alot. If they even get to it.

HBjet
05-15-2003, 12:31 AM
roostwear:
HB,
Isn't Dave REALLY close to Jack? (hint, hint) You know, I never even thought about that :D
Hardin18, if you want a second opinion, take your boat to Costa Mesa and have Dave (DNE) and Jack (MPD) take a look at it too, and let us know what they have said and what GS Marine says.
I personally get all of my pump work done by MPD and motor work done by DNE. I've NEVER had one issue with either of them, EVER!
Good Luck!
HBjet

beached 1
05-15-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm sure GS and or DNE would do you right, but if you want someone that's closer to home theres a really good shop that does my work in Yucaipa. 909-615-7797

revndave
05-15-2003, 06:20 AM
I USE DOUGANS MACHINE IN MIRA LOMA.GREAT WORK.MY BUDDY PAID 7000 FOR REBUILD.INCLUDED DYNO AT WESTECH.FULL ROLLER MOTOR.30 OVER 454 MADE 609HP AT 6000RPM ON 91 OCT.DOUGANS DOES MOST OF MACHINE WORK FOR GS,TOM PAPP,WESTECH.THEY'RE FAIR AND HONEST.

Cs19
05-15-2003, 09:31 AM
hardin, you need to shop around. You definatley need to check with mpd for the pump and dne for your motor before you do anything, they are next door to each other and it wont take much of your time,or call them.If your going to keep the boat get it done right. good luck. smile_sp

superdave013
05-15-2003, 10:30 AM
I'll toss out Clay Smith for engine work. George over there does first class stuff. Mild to wild. He's a jet boat guy too.
714 523 0530

ChetCapoli
05-15-2003, 07:05 PM
HBjet:
Also, at GS marine, I doubt Greg Shoemaker will be doing any of the work, but at DNE Dave does the work.
1 last thing. If your worried about cost, then shop around and see who your comfortable with.
HBjet Jesus HB, You are ****ing relentless arent ya? They guy is asking about greg shoemaker not DNE for gods sake. You just cant help yourself can ya?? So what does that mean if greg's not doing the work?? It's not quality?? No wonder none of the "gurus" like greg post here anymore..it's because of you and your cheerleaders OVER AND OVER Again!!
Another thing i see you mentioned...
"if you worried about cost" ...yeap...most people are HB aside from you and your cronies. Are you implying your two favorite shop might be a little more "costly" then the others????
Again hb...GIVE IT A BREAK!
CHET

Johnwithjm
05-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Chet HBjet offered DNE who is a top motor shop so what is wrong with that? If the guy is good and he is very good why not let people know about it. You push you Aggressor stuff on everyone so what is the big deal.

ChetCapoli
05-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Johnwithjm:
If the guy is good and he is very good why not let people know about it. You push you Aggressor stuff on everyone so what is the big deal. You know john for a so called "shop" i have to wonder about you. Do you do anything your self or do you farm it out? Sure DNE is good but does HB have to give greg a slam to promote how good DNE is??? No wonder these guys dont post here anymore...does it do them any good?? Do they get any extra business their way when old HB is over in the corner shouting "hey dude! Your crazy if you dont use MPD/DNE" I'm sure if you think about what i'm saying you'd understand. Then again, you got a little "cheerlead" in you too so maybe you wouldnt' understand.
BTW, I dont push the "brand X" stuff on anyone..i just feel your foolish if you havent at least TRIED IT or on your ride. For the money you cant beat it. If the legend stuff wasnt so pricey i would try it...no problem.

77charger
05-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Got to get me a beer!Oh chet BTW the guy who did our flatbottom motor is neither of the above but a backyard builder(and one good one BTW) whos dyno is the racetrack!! :D :D
And i think john has tried various combinations in his race boat to give an opinion.
Gs marine greg is a really good guy i have spoken to him before and will go out of his way to help you also.

Johnwithjm
05-15-2003, 08:22 PM
ChetCapoli:
Johnwithjm:
If the guy is good and he is very good why not let people know about it. You push you Aggressor stuff on everyone so what is the big deal. You know john for a so called "shop" i have to wonder about you. Do you do anything your self or do you farm it out? Sure DNE is good but does HB have to give greg a slam to promote how good DNE is??? No wonder these guys dont post here anymore...does it do them any good?? Do they get any extra business their way when old HB is over in the corner shouting "hey dude! Your crazy if you dont use MPD/DNE" I'm sure if you think about what i'm saying you'd understand. Then again, you got a little "cheerlead" in you too so maybe you wouldnt' understand.
BTW, I dont push the "brand X" stuff on anyone..i just feel your foolish if you havent at least TRIED IT or on your ride. For the money you cant beat it. If the legend stuff wasnt so pricey i would try it...no problem. Well Chet Come by my shop anytime and see for your self. I think you will get the picture then. I don`t use DNE for my motors but I have seen the results of Daves work at the races and it is great. I do use Westech for my motors until you get a dyno Chet I won`t change. Chet everyone here has there own opion so if there happy with a motor builder or pump guy more power to them. My number is on my avatar Chet so give me a call or come on by when your out this way and judge for your self.

77charger
05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Chet wont call :D
BTW john i might be running your bracket class this weekend getting scared. :D :) :D (at least hoping too.dont worry i red light half the time

Johnwithjm
05-15-2003, 08:28 PM
77charger:
BTW john i might be running your bracket class this weekend getting scared. :D :) :D (at least hoping too.dont worry i red light half the time 77 your running the 9 sec class? Good for you. I don`t have to worry about it for this race since I will be working but I`m getting a little scared :D :D Best of luck to you 77 stay green

77charger
05-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Johnwithjm:
77charger:
BTW john i might be running your bracket class this weekend getting scared. :D :) :D (at least hoping too.dont worry i red light half the time 77 your running the 9 sec class? Good for you. I don`t have to worry about it for this race since I will be working but I`m getting a little scared :D :D Best of luck to you 77 stay green Yup we are defintitely in the 9.50 area so i hope all goes well still leraning though.But the way i look at the light scenario is this a .500 light you might lose so why get caught snoozing(plus my boss would never end giving me shit)

HBjet
05-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Chet, I only offered another direction for him to go. He has a lot of money and from what I've been seen comming out of GS marine lately, I wouldn't want someone to get there to only need to get the same work done again.
I did tell him to shop around and to go with the shop he feels most comfortable with. What's wrong with that?
Again Chet, you speak as if I have money growing on trees. If you think I have all sorts of money to blow on my boat, then you really need to find another hobby because there is no way you would be able to afford boating as a hobby. I can because I don't have any other hobbies that require as much. And I work hard for my money, so that gives me every right to spend it where I want. You don't like it? You don't think I'm making the right choice, then fine, but at the end, it's my money, my choice!
HBjet

HBjet
05-15-2003, 10:52 PM
HBjet:
If you want another choice besides GS Marine, give dave at DNE a call. HBjet:
Also, at GS marine, I doubt Greg Shoemaker will be doing any of the work HBjet:
1 last thing. If your worried about cost, then shop around and see who your comfortable with.Cliff Notes!
Here is an alternative that I have been happy with
Greg probably won't be doing the work himself, something I dont feel comfortable with
Shop around and find someone that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside
riodog, 5 motors in one year and all sorts of different shops that you have worked with. What's wrong? None did it right the first time so you found another?
As you can see roostwear was being funny mentioning MPD was close by, so I was being funny too. And I also said I have never been happier with them.
Let me ask you a question wise one! have I ever said "Take your business to DNE and MPD only, no one else, and that it" or anything along those lines? NO! Do I know there are other good shops and builders? YES! Should I take my work there if I'm happy with where I'm at? I would say NO, but with your track record, you would probably say YES. Before I had any work done to my pump, I checked out GS Marine. I wasn't Impressed. My father had a blown motor build by GS back in the day. It ran strong and his boat was fast. Greg is a great guy in my opinion, and if I was going to have any work done there, I'd only want him doing it, not over looking it!
Your entitled to your opinion as so am I. I don't get any deals, kick backs, but think what you want. Oh, and since when does it matter how many motor's I've built? I think it says a lot when it is 1 in one year, not 5 in one year. (that is if you built 5 for the same boat)
So riodog, where am I pushing? I think it's more along the lines of suggesting! Then again, like your accusing me, you've never been to DNE or MPD, so what the **** do you know!
Oh, did you know Dave at DNE used to work with Pfaff about 20 years ago? Yeah, and he even consulted a little with him when buildng that 1000hp motor. Dave is a professional when it comes to building motors, and since I haven't worked with the other shops you mentioned, how can I speak for them? So I guess I will stop offering advice, shit, my boat is going to run good this year and that's all that matters now doesn't it?
I may sound like a broken record to you, but not to the new guy who wants to make sure he gets the best for hard earned money.
HBjet

HBjet
05-15-2003, 11:08 PM
If it makes everyone happy! (especially Chet) Then I won't offer advice on shops to go to since they are the one's I use. I'll just recommend shops I've heard about, but have never done business with. Besides, the more I recommend who I do business with, the more work they are going to have, therefore, my stuff will take longer!
HBjet :D

HBjet
05-15-2003, 11:33 PM
riodog, what motor do you have in that Daytona and what pump?
What is it running now? MPH wise!
Thanks
HBjet

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-15-2003, 11:36 PM
HARDIN18:
Anyone know approx. how much it costs to have a 454 rebuilt. I am thinking of having GS marine rebuild my engine. Wow! I think we need to settle down people! This guy was asking how much $$$$$ it costs, not who does what! If I can read clearly it looks like that to me. I am no means getting in the argument whatsoever. I am just trying to help this poor guy answer his question.
396_Ways_To_Stay_On_The_Topic

HARDIN18
05-15-2003, 11:43 PM
I have a 4 bolt mar IV short deck.
The #'s I found on the heads were H2C187777. These #'s do not match any of the head #'s on mortec. Any advice?

HBjet
05-15-2003, 11:50 PM
To get the casting number for the heads, you need to remove the valve cover.
So far so good!
HBjet

Jet City
05-16-2003, 06:20 AM
SuperDave, yes George ( Clay Smith) is one of the best (imo.
Might this happen to be George Streagle? Just curious.
Well I will say this, you folks in SoCal have more quality builders/shops to choose from than other areas do.
Scott

Johnwithjm
05-16-2003, 08:42 AM
riodog:
HB, While I don't usually give you too much of a rough time, you done irritated me this time. Yes, Greg is a close friend of mine and I've been very open about it however that fact has nothing to do with "our " little problem. I, along with quite a few others are sick of your sounding like a broken record about Jack and Dave. First up, the man did not ask about anyone other than GS Marine, so stop trying to divert his business just because someone with a 'name' spoke to you once and took some of your money. Tell us all -how many motors have YOU had done and by whom? One ? Big F**kin Deal! Are you trying for the "brown noser discount" or whatever? Hell, I've gone through five in one summer just cuz I felt like it. Who else have you used? Oh, I see. No one to compare against huh? You want me to go down the list for you? Pfaff, Unser, GS, Nevareez, JMS, don't think you're old enough to remember names like Bill Thomas, Ritchie and Ritchie, Engine Masters. You want machine shops? Try Dougan's, Taylors, JMS, etc. Ya gettin the point yet? Chet has it nailed! I've had work done by all of the above and a few that I either do not recommend or have forgotten but you don't see me trying to push anyone down your throat, do you?
SuperDave, yes George ( Clay Smith) is one of the best (imo), and the only thing that 'Broken Record Jet' has stated so far that is correct, is that Greg probably won't do the work himself (although he oversee's all work), but his engine builder,Dan Doughlas is top notch-oh yeah, he's also George's X brother-in-law, and worked for Clay Smith before coming to GS. Jim with JM, if you had a customer that was leaning your way, I would not try to steer him in another direction just because!!!
Bottom line is DO YOUR HOMEWORK !
Harden18, if you do go with GS I'll even GUARENTEE that you are treated fairly cuz I've got Greg believing that I'm on the twisted side and He does not want to deal with that!
Riodog aka M.W. Fulton Rio I never said anything bad about GS he has a good name in the boating world. I`m not trying to steer anyone away just wanted to make that clear.

Cs19
05-16-2003, 10:50 AM
there are sooo many top notch motor builders in the southern california area its ridiculous. All of them can build you a solid motor with big power that will not come apart, no problem!,but I guarantee no one has put the testing and r&d into jet boats that jack and dave are doing right now! are any of the above names mentioned or anyone else constantly studying data systems that have been adapted to jets out in bakersfield when its 100 degrees? NO. (maybe 1 or 2) and its probably an mpd data system. most of them are in the beer line. are they working a million hours a week on ONLY jets? NO.. and are they doing the work themselves? NO.Do they only bring in one boat at a time so its the focus of attention? no Do you see jack or dave doing photo shoots all day for ***boat driving a PROP boat? no.they are doing pumps and jet boat motors 7 days a week. yes, alot of their testing and studying is race related, but that reflects on lake boats as well.anyone of the names and more can get the job done so hardin can go out and play with a fresh pump and motor and have loads of fun,BUT do you HONESTLY think the quality of work is the same or better as what he would have had at mpd/dne? .The bottom line is if you havent been to jet boat alley and see what is really going on over there then you cant debate it.

King Kuracz
05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Johnwithjm:
number is on my avatar Chet so give me a call Chet wont call unless you get an 800 number.

Johnwithjm
05-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Rio we have no problem. This whole board gets a little touchy at times it is all good. Summer is here and I can`t wait for next weekend and a few days off.

HBjet
05-16-2003, 10:07 PM
rio, I wish I could be bored like you (building motors and working on the boat with money that I can't get rid of fast enough)
If you can post a photo of that dust bucket, I mean Daytona, that would be bitchin. Big river huh? Do you know of a cream colored 18' CP down there? I've heard there is a group of tunnels down there (1 being a Daytona) that claims to be a CP killer. I'd like to see this thing in action. I plan on making one trip down there for the day this summer. We'll see what happens!
HBjet

PipesClean
05-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Took a ride in that cream colored tunnel last year just before the crack went all the way through. Did low 90's and my pants were the same color afterwords! :D :D :D
Come on down one of these times Randy. I think you'll like being south of the "Dam"ed
Alot of big boys down there to play with! As well as alot less of big brother. (The kind with the little metal boats)
Sand bar, and nice little cove everybody hangs at!
There'll be one more tunnel also :p
[ May 16, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: PipesClean ]

Vern S
05-16-2003, 11:00 PM
8000 on a "B" ? is your tach working correctly? is the pump tight, that is some serious HP even being blown.

Ian
05-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Hardin18, I think what people are saying is, you have plenty of options in so cal. My persoanl suggestions would be GS marine, Norm Grimes, M&D, Sissel Automotive, to list a few. All of the above shops have been very helpful towards me in the past. Greg and Norm both went out of their way to help me when I was having head gasket problems (especially Greg). I would call a few of these shops and get some quotes and then go with who ever you feel comfortable with. Just remember you get what you pay for, though many small shops make good engines, they don't have to worry about tarnishing their name if an engine fails. PM me if you want any phone numbers.
P.S. thanks again riodog for all the help.

roostwear
05-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Hardin18,
I take it since you started this thread asking about a boat repair/maintenance shop, and not specifically an engine builder that you don't have the equipment and/or knowledge to do it yourself. Let me throw in that there are many actual engine builders that can give you hp at a lower relative cost if you provide the labor. This may be an excellent opportunity to learn more in-depth about your boat, and high performance in general. I've built most of my own engines since I was around 13, but you're never too old to learn! It's nice knowing first hand what's in your engine, and the satisfaction of knowing it's done right, rather than hoping you picked the right shop.
Something to consider.....

Big Proppa
05-17-2003, 09:42 AM
HB we got to get you and the Hustler down a few times this summer - the water is great, the cove goes off and the camp is really filling up with some pretty quick boats - always fun to watch fast boats run in the evening.
Hey pipesclean what new tunnel were you talking about?. :D :D :D
wrightnow still has the quickest shit in camp but who knows, alot of people seem to have spent alot of money this off season. :D :p

signmaster
05-17-2003, 08:29 PM
good fricken god sure is a jungle out there. I sure am glad I left hemet and moved back to wisconsin to do my my boat. everyone here seems much friendlyer

Jrocket
05-17-2003, 08:51 PM
signmaster:
I sure am glad I left hemet No shit...who wouldnt be,that place sucks!!What took ya so long to get out of there? :D

HBjet
05-17-2003, 10:31 PM
riodog:
Hey Big Proppa,
DON'T THINK SO-not by a long shot!
Rio
yuk Rio, what does your daytona look like? Colors?
HBjet