PDA

View Full Version : GPS help

Kokopelli
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
OK, I have settled on the handheld Garmin Etrex Vista HCx but I have a question for you GPS folks:
Is it better to buy a blank micro SD card and the Topo DVD, or just buy the pre-loaded micro SD card? Has anyone had any experiences with the software?
Thanks

SixDays
10-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm dealing with this right now, but with the City navigator. The topo maps may be different. I don't know what the preloaded card costs, but the map City navigator software is about $130. You can only load the software onto 1 GPS, as it is locked by a serial number. I believe the TOPO maps are unlimited. You can upload whatever maps you need, but just FYI, California requires about 120 MBS, so you'll need a bigger card to hold all those maps...

Kokopelli
10-08-2007, 03:09 AM
I'm dealing with this right now, but with the City navigator. The topo maps may be different. I don't know what the preloaded card costs, but the map City navigator software is about $130. You can only load the software onto 1 GPS, as it is locked by a serial number. I believe the TOPO maps are unlimited. You can upload whatever maps you need, but just FYI, California requires about 120 MBS, so you'll need a bigger card to hold all those maps...
Thanks six...
Did you transfer the info to a microSD, or to the GPS?