View Full Version : Aluminum tanks

67weimann
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Well guys, I'm in the process of cleaning up and repairing my boat that has been sitting. I cut out one of the old 'glass tanks to install a sending unit only to discover that the tank was in bad shape. I went down to my buddies welding shop and he's gonna weld up two new custom aluminum tanks. A little pricy since I just want to get it out on the water but for $500 for both, complete with internal baffles, it should be worth it. Just need to get those babies in there and slap on a new carb and hit the lake... :smile:

BOOGEYMAN
02-27-2006, 10:45 PM
$500 for two new custom tanks is a phucking steel!!!! :)

beerjet
02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
How many gallons?

Bradf
02-28-2006, 04:43 AM
If you want a steal, just use milk cartons!

BrendellaJet
02-28-2006, 06:23 AM
Wow, $500? sorry that seems like a rip off to me. I just sold a set of aluminum tanks for a hundred bucks. Picked up a set of STAINLESS 15 gallon tanks for $250. Id take a look around first if I were you.

flat broke
02-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Actually $500 for a set of NEW custom tanks is cheaper than what you'd pay retail from Imco. So from that standpoint, its a good deal. Yeah you can luck out and find used stuff cheaper, but comparing used to new prices isn't really fair. This is especially so with unique items with varying dimensions that must be met. You could wait forever to find a set of cheap used tanks that will fit... Or you could pony up, buy brand new ones and be on the water when you want. Sounds like this guy knew he wanted to be on the water, had the duckets, and went for it. Deffinitely not a bad deal on the tanks.
Chris

atxwrangler
02-28-2006, 09:50 AM
i agree, my custom tanks cost me 800.00, for my tunnel dragster.16 gal each,.bought from the east coast.then had to modify them upon arrival,$100.00 later,i had fuel tanks!

67weimann
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I could wait and search for something that might fit but, I am having custom ones built to fit in my Weimann. I am unsure of the gallon size but they will be the same as the old fiberglass ones. i beleive they were around 12 gallons. The 5 bills is worth it to me to be out and enjoying the water instead of searching for something that I may need to modify to use...

beerjet
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
$500 for custom tanks is a steal . And they'll fit perfectly which eliminates a ton of headaches.

beerjet
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Wow, $500? sorry that seems like a rip off to me. I just sold a set of aluminum tanks for a hundred bucks. Picked up a set of STAINLESS 15 gallon tanks for $250. Id take a look around first if I were you.
I picked up a set of 22 gal. each aluminum for a cruiser from blown spectra and he was having a larger set made for somewhere in $2000 range . My understanding is that good shit aint cheap and cheap shit aint good. So as long as he can rationalize it . I think it's all good.

BrendellaJet
02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I picked up a set of 22 gal. each aluminum for a cruiser from blown spectra and he was having a larger set made for somewhere in $2000 range . My understanding is that good shit aint cheap and cheap shit aint good. So as long as he can rationalize it . I think it's all good.
I guess my 15 gallon IMCO's that I found for $250 are crap then. :argue:

beerjet
02-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Hey now , c'mon now , it aint like that. Besides , stainless is more expensive and on my budweiser budget I do alot of waiting and searching and hunting to stretch the my dollar . Imco is top notch at any price.

BrendellaJet
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Just trying to save the cat some money...I have a friend with a weiman and there is nothing preventing the use of a saddle tank in that hull that I am aware of. Sounds like I need to get into the boat fuel tank building biz if all yall are spending that much coin on em. :p

sleekcrafter
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey now , c'mon now , it aint like that. Besides , stainless is more expensive and on my budweiser budget I do alot of waiting and searching and hunting to stretch the my dollar . Imco is top notch at any price.
It's not only the Price difference between Aluminum, and Stainless Steel tanks, but also the weight difference. Stainless look kick ass... but I'll take the lightweight, Aluminum myself. :)
Sleek

67weimann
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
What are the IMCO's made of?
And yeah, I'm sure there are alternatives out there but, the tanks I'm having built will fit how I like them and be the look I want. After all, we all spend a lot of money on our toys. And being aluminum, they can polished or whatever to look kick ass, carpeted or left bare. All in what you want them to look like. I'll post up some pics once I get them finished and installed.

sleekcrafter
02-28-2006, 09:40 PM
What are the IMCO's made of?
And yeah, I'm sure there are alternatives out there but, the tanks I'm having built will fit how I like them and be the look I want. After all, we all spend a lot of money on our toys. And being aluminum, they can polished or whatever to look kick ass, carpeted or left bare. All in what you want them to look like. I'll post up some pics once I get them finished and installed.
Imco offers polished Stainless, I don't see the aluminum tanks listed any more.
Sleek

67weimann
02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
I just checked out imco and all I saw was some round tanks which I've already looked into and don't want. I saw one rectangular type which is too big to fit my needs so it leaves having custom ones built. And being that just the sheet of aluminum is around 2 hundred. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped.

Ken F
03-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Imco built my 24 gal. tanks to fit in the tunnels of my boat. all they needed was a sketched out pattern of each end with diminsions and faxed to them.
One thing that I have not heard mentioned is the uscg approval. If your tanks are not built by an approved company you can be kicked off the lake.
I certainly don't intend to douse any good deals going on...just something to think of.
Ken F

67weimann
03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Imco built my 24 gal. tanks to fit in the tunnels of my boat. all they needed was a sketched out pattern of each end with diminsions and faxed to them.
And how much did you pay for IMCO to build them?

Wally_Gator
03-02-2006, 06:18 AM
IMCO....
I recently got a quote from IMCO (Stopped by) and they quoted me $600
for a pair of 13 gal aluminum saddle tanks. The cost was attributed to the
complex bends required for the back sides of the tanks. Nothing off the shelf
is going to work unless I get tanks from another boat just like mine...

67weimann
03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
IMCO....
I recently got a quote from IMCO (Stopped by) and they quoted me $600
for a pair of 13 gal aluminum saddle tanks. The cost was attributed to the
complex bends required for the back sides of the tanks. Nothing off the shelf
is going to work unless I get tanks from another boat just like mine...
Exactly, and so for $500 for both, contoured to my hull (not just a rectangular shape that will fit) and internally baffled with all the hook ups I need. A complete set of tanks, it seems to me like a decent price...
Anyone know how to figure the amount a tank will hold besides the obvious filling it up and seeing what it takes to fill it?
Well, I finally got both tanks cut out yesterday and sanded all the old glass used to mount the old fibrglass tanks. I used a grinder with a cut-off wheel to get the tanks out and then one of those flap discs to grind all the rest of the glass to hold tghe old tank. It work really good and it took no time at all but, I must say, "what a f'n mess it makes". :crossx:

Ken F
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Weiman,
Seems like it was right around $800 with 1/2" pickup tubes, 1/2" return tubes, filler necks, baffles, and sending units.
An easy way to figure volume for me is to calculate the cubic inches.
1 gallon = 231 cubic inches
I used 6.14 lbs/gal for weight of fuel.
Please don't take my post in a negative light, it sure wasn't intended that way. I just was a bit scared of not having the USCG stamp on them.
Ken F

67weimann
03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Please don't take my post in a negative light, it sure wasn't intended that way. I just was a bit scared of not having the USCG stamp on them
no negativity here Ken. I'm just here to get input and advice from fellow boaters who know what is what.:rollside:
As for the USCG stamp, has anyone had there tanks checked for it? Cuz, I never had any probs with the old fiberglass ones which were for sure not approve by anyone. They were as good as the milk carton suggestion made previously :cool: :D
and if they were carpeted, do you have to leave the stamp visible or would the law make you peel the carpet back to expose these stamps?
And what makes it USCG worthy? Any requirements?

sleekcrafter
03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
no negativity here Ken. I'm just here to get input and advice from fellow boaters who know what is what.:rollside:
As for the USCG stamp, has anyone had there tanks checked for it? Cuz, I never had any probs with the old fiberglass ones which were for sure not approve by anyone. They were as good as the milk carton suggestion made previously :cool: :D
and if they were carpeted, do you have to leave the stamp visible or would the law make you peel the carpet back to expose these stamps?
And what makes it USCG worthy? Any requirements?
Here is some info on tanks and install, requirements. I've used these guy's, they are top notch in quality, and built to your dementions SP TANKS (http://www.sptanks.com/tanks.htm)
Here is a calculator to determine fuel capacity.
Round tanks (http://www.sptanks.com/2.cfm)
Tapered tanks (http://www.sptanks.com/5.cfm)
Rectangle tanks (http://www.sptanks.com/1.cfm)

Wally_Gator
03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Weiman,
Seems like it was right around $800 with 1/2" pickup tubes, 1/2" return tubes, filler necks, baffles, and sending units.
An easy way to figure volume for me is to calculate the cubic inches.
1 gallon = 231 cubic inches
I used 6.14 lbs/gal for weight of fuel.
Please don't take my post in a negative light, it sure wasn't intended that way. I just was a bit scared of not having the USCG stamp on them.
Ken F
Ken,
BTW... IMCO makes all tanks to USCG and or stricter standards where needed. They were telling me they do not make anything less.

Ken F
03-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Wally,
Yep, that's why they were ordered from them!
Ken F