PDA

View Full Version : Stack Injection

FlatRat
02-28-2006, 03:02 AM
O.k.,
I'm looking into a set-up for the Howard.What is ups or downs of say, Enderle,Jackson or Hillborn.I know Gofastracer is partial to Crower $$$ :argue: Hey, the wife cut me a check...I gotta get on it!! :idea:

GofastRacer
02-28-2006, 06:27 AM
So you're going injection huh, cool!.. :cool: All three are basically the same, the Hilborns are available in a 3" butterfly though, and if you're running a 468+ I'd go with those, the 2 7/16" work really good on a smaller motor!. I like the Crower style because of the torque curve all way thru the rpm range, they were made for road racing and they just keep pulling and pulling, they are a little softer on the bottom end than the Hilborns but not that much. As far as ups and downs, they are injectors and they all work the same, setup and tune up is the same, for a lake boat it's more of a preference in looks than anything else, but if you want neck snapping performance for short distance running the Hilborns will deliver!..

Moneypitt
02-28-2006, 07:07 AM
Yep, the crowers keep pulling and pulling, they also come out of the corners good, where the hilborns MAY burn the prop, which hurts acceleration,(looks cool like a smoky burn out), but the "hooked up" boat will be gone..
Like Art said, they all use the same basics. Figure on lapping in,
or changing the poppet holders and poppets to aid in close control of your by pass system. I'm sure Art can lead you in the right direction/ballpark for pills and shims for "your" use. BTW, the crowers are 2.9", and flow 1300, plenty for a 468 at over 8K...........Ray

FlatRat
02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks,
we will be building an roller 427 for lake/race deal.There are several on e-bay,just not real sure which one to go with.Art,I dig the way yours looked and sounded in RR2.As I get closer I will be needing more answers,like cam selection.We are running a set of 990's,so that's what we'll use.

Fiat48
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
The shaft bushings wear and sometimes guys bend the shafts also. Makes for bad and inconsistant idling. Try to buy one you can look at first hand if possible.

GofastRacer
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
The shaft bushings wear and sometimes guys bend the shafts also. Makes for bad and inconsistant idling. Try to buy one you can look at first hand if possible.
All stuff to consider in the price, I had to completely redo mine, still have less into them than what they're worth!.. :cool:

GofastRacer
02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks,
we will be building an roller 427 for lake/race deal.There are several on e-bay,just not real sure which one to go with.Art,I dig the way yours looked and sounded in RR2.As I get closer I will be needing more answers,like cam selection.We are running a set of 990's,so that's what we'll use.
Well in that case you can go with the smaller throttle bores. If you want a whole package and not piece it together, if these are on gas I'd be looking into these!..
BTW, thanks for the compliment!.. :cool:
Hilborn! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4617306027&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

FlatRat
02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Here's one .Whatch think?Item number: 4617306027 2 7/16 bore,I have an Enderle cover and a River Rat water pump.We are looking for a 427 crank...reasonable of course and some decent floater rods.As I understand the 427 cranks have a slightly different counterweight than the 396's.Is this to make up for the heavier 427 pistons?This project is in the early stage but I'm trying to get some info on what will work best for me. :idea: Thanks

GofastRacer
02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
That's the set that I posted above, don't look too bad for the price as long as it's setup for gas and ready to go, looks like it's all there I'd change the stacks though,LOL!... As far as a crank and rods goes don't take chances on wore out shit, call Scot at Dyno-Flo (702)567-3035 he'll set you up with a package and I doubt you'll find a better price!..

HTRDLNCN
03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Im trying to get rid of a pair of efi stack injection setups,,look like the old mech ones but they are efi.. Dont know if that would work for you, Hopefully someone can put them to good use..
:)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8042823613&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

FlatRat
03-01-2006, 05:57 PM
That's the set that I posted above, don't look too bad for the price as long as it's setup for gas and ready to go, looks like it's all there I'd change the stacks though,LOL!... As far as a crank and rods goes don't take chances on wore out shit, call Scot at Dyno-Flo (702)567-3035 he'll set you up with a package and I doubt you'll find a better price!..
Thanks Art,
10-4 on the ugly stacks and used crap.Waiting for reply on Alky or Gas.If ya don't mind sharing...what are you running for comp.,stroke,bore size,heads and cam lift?Pm if you want.I'm just trying to find out as much as possible.How's the GN deal coming?Tim :skull:

GofastRacer
03-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks Art,
10-4 on the ugly stacks and used crap.Waiting for reply on Alky or Gas.If ya don't mind sharing...what are you running for comp.,stroke,bore size,heads and cam lift?Pm if you want.I'm just trying to find out as much as possible.How's the GN deal coming?Tim :skull:
You're welcome Tim!. No secret on the POS motor, this thing was a last minute deal to get ready for Needles when I found out the good motor(440) was at the end of it's life!. So I took some shit I had and put a 468 together real quick, I used the 990 heads and the cam from the 440. Only thing the pistons are not right for those heads so the compression ain't there and with this cam it's a total dud, the only good thing it just keeps on running, and for some reason this temporary POS became the permanent POS, LOL!. The cam is a Crane flat tappet 648/669 lift, 268/276 dur@.050 on 108centers, and it needs 12.5 comp minimum, never bothered to check but it's probably around 10.1 when when running, total dud as you could see in the video!.... Unfortunately the GN is sitting, only got room for one boat at a time and customer boats come first $$$$$$$$$ know what I mean!.. :)

GofastRacer
03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Im trying to get rid of a pair of efi stack injection setups,,look like the old mech ones but they are efi.. Dont know if that would work for you, Hopefully someone can put them to good use..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8042823613&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
So how much you want for it???.. :)

FlatRat
03-02-2006, 03:09 AM
Looks like it's pretty cheap at this point.Is there a way the conv. it to mech.?Kinda looks like a Crower deal. :idea:

GofastRacer
03-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah it's a Crower deal and it can be converted, but all you'd be using is the manifold, everything else would have to be replaced so it would have to be pretty cheap!. Could be a real hassle if you're not familiar with injection!..

HTRDLNCN
03-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I dont really know much about it,Im just clearing out a bunch of stuff for one of the guys from Carrera. It would give you the "look" of mech injection with the adaptive perfromance of efi at least in my opinion but if you really wanted a mech setup like was posted above all you could really use is the intake and throttle linkage.

boatguy222
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I had a set of the EFi Crower injection. It is a early 80's Mercury Marine offshore racing system.
I went ahead and ran it for a time, with a programable ecu, but was never able to get the programing right.But that was me and not the ECU.
I always thought that this would be the way to go if a guy wanted to build a Twin Turbo EFI deal on methanol , but then again I'am a dreamer!LOL
It any if you need more information on what it did, or would do different, go a head and PM me.
Marc

GofastRacer
03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
I dont really know much about it,Im just clearing out a bunch of stuff for one of the guys from Carrera. It would give you the "look" of mech injection with the adaptive perfromance of efi at least in my opinion but if you really wanted a mech setup like was posted above all you could really use is the intake and throttle linkage.
How much "cash" does it take to get em??..

HTRDLNCN
03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
just pm me an offer and Ill pass it on to the owner..
He is clearing out the shop so Im sure he will take any decent offer.

HTRDLNCN
03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I had a set of the EFi Crower injection. It is a early 80's Mercury Marine offshore racing system. It any if you need more information on what it did, or would do different, go a head and PM me.
Marc
Ill do that!

FlatRat
03-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Art,
I called the guy w/the Hillborn.He is pretty sure it set-up for gas,has # 6 nozzles/jets.Anyway,says it's good shape but has not ran it personaly.Of course you know how that is,bring it home don't like a couple things then you strip it and redo the damn thing!Is your manifold powder coated if so how does it hold up to the heat and fuel?

GofastRacer
03-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Art,
I called the guy w/the Hillborn.He is pretty sure it set-up for gas,has # 6 nozzles/jets.Anyway,says it's good shape but has not ran it personaly.Of course you know how that is,bring it home don't like a couple things then you strip it and redo the damn thing!Is your manifold powder coated if so how does it hold up to the heat and fuel?
Well if it has #6 nozzles it's gas and way too small, should have 8A's up to 430ci any bigger you need 9A's!... No powdercoat, had them anodized like they came when they were new, no problems with heat or fuel!..
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9890/done2fi.jpg

GofastRacer
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey Tim, here's a set of Crowers if you like those better??..
Crower! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chevrolet-big-block-crower-stack-type-fuel-injection_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107063QQitemZ 4618107746QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

FlatRat
03-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Art,
I saw that set-up,did ya see the one that's plumbed for NOS?.Art your set deal is the chit!Damn,I better have a smoke.Anyways,I made an offer on the Hillborn deal so we'll see what shakes out.

Jeanyus
03-05-2006, 08:25 AM
I saw these for sale $1200 at drag boat city
http://www.dragboatcity.com/parts/white%20boat%20parts%201.JPG
http://www.dragboatcity.com/parts/index.html

Hallett
03-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Those look cool i like those with the tall one peace stacks.

SnoopJonnyJon
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
That looks like a really sweet setup. I've been keeping an eye open for any cheap old injectors that I could convert to EFI to put in a 49 Studebaker pickup. One that wouldn't need to convert is so much the better. Is there any reason why the marine stuff wouldn't work in a car? I really don't have the money right now to be buying an injection setup, but the price thats at, I'm gonna be loosing sleep watching that auction. You say you have a "pair", is that suggesting it came off a twin engine boat? The auction is just for the one right? Will the second one go up on ebay too? I'm sure he'd much rather take cash than testicles, but man, I'd give my left nut for that set up. :p Love the look of the staggered stacks.

SnoopJonnyJon
03-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Nevermind my questions about if you've got two, found the other one on ebay. I saw that you only ship to USA. Wondered if you could consider shipping to Canada?

GofastRacer
03-06-2006, 06:28 AM
I saw these for sale $1200 at drag boat city
http://www.dragboatcity.com/parts/white%20boat%20parts%201.JPG
http://www.dragboatcity.com/parts/index.html
That set has been there for a long time!.

GofastRacer
03-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Art,
I saw that set-up,did ya see the one that's plumbed for NOS?.Art your set deal is the chit!Damn,I better have a smoke.Anyways,I made an offer on the Hillborn deal so we'll see what shakes out.
Thanks, yeah I saw em the Hilborn may be a better deal, good luck with the offer!.. :cool:

HTRDLNCN
03-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Wondered if you could consider shipping to Canada?
yup

FlatRat
03-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Hilborn Injection sold,
to the Rat from Montana!!Now the work begins.Cam selection?I have a set of +.030 forged 12:01 TRW's 427 pistons and a block w/990's.So I'll need a crank and a set of 6.135 floaters.I would like to see 650-700 hp.Is this possible w/this set-up?I know,that's not much for the Cali boys.But hey,we're just happy having our own teeth up in here.O.k.,truth be told..was born and raised in Modesto,Ca.Learned to water ski @ Modesto Res.I want to thank all of you for your input.Art,I would like to bend your ear on the Tele if you don't mind.I'm all fired up.
Injected Rat

GofastRacer
03-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Hilborn Injection sold,
to the Rat from Montana!!Now the work begins.Cam selection?I have a set of +.030 forged 12:01 TRW's 427 pistons and a block w/990's.So I'll need a crank and a set of 6.135 floaters.I would like to see 650-700 hp.Is this possible w/this set-up?I know,that's not much for the Cali boys.But hey,we're just happy having our own teeth up in here.O.k.,truth be told..was born and raised in Modesto,Ca.Learned to water ski @ Modesto Res.I want to thank all of you for your input.Art,I would like to bend your ear on the Tele if you don't mind.I'm all fired up.
Injected Rat
Congrats, you won't be sorry!... We can arrange a BS session if you like no prob!..

SnoopJonnyJon
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I saw that those two EFI Crower set ups sold. One for under $700 and the other for over $1000... i bet the guy with the $1000 one wishes he had noticed the other listing :p

HTRDLNCN
03-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Yup,they both sold and there are still people emailing me wanting to buy them
if either one backs out!
By the way both listings mentioned clearly that I was
selling two units in two auctions.
:cool:
I saw that those two EFI Crower set ups sold.
One for under $700 and the other for over $1000...
i bet the guy with the $1000 one wishes he had noticed the other listing :p