PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Cut ? AA, A-4, AB (what ??)

Elk Chaser
08-30-2003, 05:26 AM
OK, please explain this to me......
An A-4 Cut is greater (more aggresive) than a A-3 Cut - Right
When everyone refers to an AA Impeller are they referring to an A-2 cut ?
an AB cut is between an A and a B right ?
Just trying to get this straight in my head.
John

Taylorman
08-30-2003, 06:03 AM
You got it.

Elk Chaser
08-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had that right.

Snorider
08-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Question for ya elk chaser: What rpm is your motor turning at WOT? ( i am just curious if you really have an A-4 in that boat). If you do, it is really the wrong one for your motor - you are losing a lot of performance there.

Elk Chaser
08-31-2003, 04:39 AM
I was assuming, we all know what that means.....
The guy I purchased the boat from had the impeller replaced and the old one is a A-4 Impeller. I am sure the shop swapped it out the same. But I plan on confirming this.
She ran about 50 to 55 MPH @ 4000 RPM WOT with a 600 CFM Holly, Logs, no loader, and the cav plate set down into the water and a fairly rough bottom.
Hole shot was exactly equal to a Mercruiser Alpha One with a 350 Chevy (stock set up other than 4 blade stainless prop) and comparably sized boat just a little heavier.
I was thinking on the same lines about the impeller being the wrong size but thought I would finish the restoration and upgrades listed in my sig and set the cav plate correctly before I decide to change it.
I know I am going to see some performace changes after those things are done and I can guage the changes against my buddies I/O. ( I told him if I can't beat him next time I am gunna sink my boat right then and there, I'll bring my 44 and shoot his boat instead... LOL)
I know comparably that most people out there are running an A or an A-2 Impeller (had to make sure that an AA was indeed an A-2) and that I would see a stronger hole shot by dropping down but it would suffer on the top end a little.
Have to wait and see, I had to take her out of service this year because when I went to upgrade the exhaust I found that the transom was soaked on one side due to a failed exhaust tip. Oh well she needed a new paint job anyways.
I can't wait for next summer.