PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Ass Question Of The Month

H20MOFO
10-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Why does doing a pump set back help? Does it load better? I Read On Hear This Week Some One Gained 12mph With A Set Back Mod. Is It Because You Can Slide The Motor Back And Have Less Boat In The Water / Less Wetted Surface? I Don't Get It?

Ken F
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
h2-
the only "dumbass question" is the one you didn't ask!
Partially right on both questions. I guess it would make it possible to sllide the engine back some, but most people usually don't.
The bigest advantage is that you are making the boat "think" that it's longer than it really is, by adding a rideplate under the pump. the boat can actually sit back on the rideplate, and this is what frees up runnning surface.
In addition it gives you the ability to use adjustable shoes (height or depth), adjust the angle of the rideplate, ect.
Hope that helps,
Ken F

H20MOFO
10-08-2007, 06:53 PM
thanks. anyone slid there motor fwd. 21 daytona or simular. i know of some one on here that did but i'm not sure if he had a set back or not.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Bump for the pro's :D :D

Ken F
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm probably going to have to do that this winter if I decide to keep racing next year. My Cheyenne was built as a lake boat with a back seat, so the engine is about 4-6" too far back for the boat to take quite the right set on the big end.
Why is your boat runnng with the nose too high? Why do you ask?
Ken F

H20MOFO
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
i'm staring pretty much from scratch with a 21 daytona that was an outboard. when i said i heard of someone one here that had slid his motor fwd he was a 19 cheyenne i think he said 4-5". it was on a thread i started on here about 2 months ago that sounded something like tunnell vs v bottom. thats where all you assholes talked me into a tunnell. hahaha

holorinhal
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey H2o,Did You go ahead and buy that outboard 21 Day tona? Way to go! Ill bet that will be a fun project!
Post up some pics and keep us posted on You'r progress.We love those kind of projects around here,especially during the winter,
Remember Lots of pics.
Now as for a set back.I am by no means an authority on per formance boating,but I have done alot of research on doing a set back, for My project. I have probobly read every post on these boards and others ,that I could find, for My set back.
The only thing that I can offer is that , if its worth it or not really depends on what Your goals are for the boat and the amount of Power You will be making. HOWEVER! With You'r project and not having an intake allready set into the boat ,THERE IS NO REASON NOT TO INSTALL A SET BACK. It may be better to do it now rather than later. You have to cut the hole any way, just cut it in the setback location , that way You do'nt have to worry about patching the front of the hole. It wont cost any more to set it back now and in my opinion it wont hurt Your performance. You can install a rail mount sytem and then You will have adjustabillity to move the engine foreward or aft, to find where engine location works best.
My advice, also, is to goahead and invest in a rideplate and shoe set up now, while the intake is out rather than having to take the intake back out to have it done. Becouse I gaurantee at some point You will want to do it. This is just My opinion. At any rate good luck with You'r project......Hal

H20MOFO
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks HAL. JBP IS CUTTING MY JET IN. I'M NOT THAT BRAVE (OR SMART).Your project is lookin great! i'm just askin a bunch of quesions to try to avoid doin shit twice(or more). I just have to put a plug in here for JBP, they have gone so far above and beyond for me it's not even funny. keep the pice comin Hal. The rail is definatley the ticket.

Ken F
10-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Agreed. If you have to cut a hole for the intake anyway definatly do a setback pump!
Isn't the transom awfully thick on a boat set up for an outboard???
Ken F

jetboatperformance
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Agreed. If you have to cut a hole for the intake anyway definatly do a setback pump!
Ken F
Completely Agree! Tom
well Kreg the "cats" out of the bag NICE BOAT! hope this pic is cool Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/kreg/DSC07451.jpg

Devilman
10-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Isn't the transom awfully thick on a boat set up for an outboard???
Ken F
Is there something bad about a thick transom, or is it just an "added weight" situation? Mine is an 1 1/2" thick....:eek: :D

H20MOFO
10-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks again Tom! The boat looks good I'm stoked.

jetboatperformance
10-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Is there something bad about a thick transom, or is it just an "added weight" situation? Mine is an 1 1/2" thick....:eek: :D
Devil personally I think its all about added strenght for the "egg beater" ,the Ultra OB I converted last year had a Transom almost 2" thick I see lots of late jets with no (or very little wood in the ass end) I think lots of older boats we "overbuilt" probably for reliablity (and liability) My 69 Schaida is a "tank" :) (but I love it) Tom

Pops@Aggressor
10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Devil personally I think its all about added strenght for the "egg beater" ,the Ultra OB I converted last year had a Transom almost 2" thick I see lots of late jets with no (or very little wood in the ass end) I think lots of older boats we "overbuilt" probably for reliablity (and liability) My 69 Schaida is a "tank" :) (but I love it) TomGood Point- Only A Jet Drive Pushes thru the bottom. Outboards and Outdrives push thru the transom. Excepton inserts which use a much larger concentrated surface thru the insert box and transom.

Outlaw
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm glad you went for it, please keep us informed on the project.
So tell me what was the deal on the bottom? was it speed coated
or worn off?

H20MOFO
10-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeh Outlaw Thats What I'm Hearing Some 1/2 Worn Off Speed Coat.(the Black) The Sponsons Have Been Repainted Below The Rub Rail Like Gugs101 Said And I Guess It Has A Small Amt Of Damage To The Bottom Of 1 Sponson.

Outlaw
10-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Good Deal ....its fiberglass it can be fixed.

proples
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
H20
Looks like we had the same idea ! Here is a pic of mine (also going to Tom's to get cut for a jet soon). Poor Tom is going to get sick of these boats
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/propless/mydaytona6.jpg

H20MOFO
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey nice boat. We'll have to compare notes.

Moose
10-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Didn't the O/B tunnels come with a flat Keel?. Are you guys (H2Omofo, Proples) going to have a rounded keel added?. Just curious because it may make a difference on the intake that you use. Either way I'm sure Tom will take care of you.

H20MOFO
10-18-2007, 08:44 AM
From what I could gather from the "top secret keel "thread 21 daytonas(the jet ones) also had a flat keel unless they have been modified. Someone please tell me if i'm mistaken. My thought is to have tom tap the bowl for me and just see what i have. the motor I'm dopping in right now isn't going to be fast enough for it to be an issue.

Pops@Aggressor
10-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Scorpions on launch & shutdown can be a problem. Transome thickness for outboards is thick due to the push loads. Jets not required on hard intakes.
Set Back has several features. #1 Hand Hole is outside -No sink on opening. #2 puts the intake to the back of the hull allowing the boat to run dryer (Less Neg Drag force)
#3 Allows quick acess to components Bowl Impeller without cut & Glue to retro fit back. #4 (2 Min vs 2 hours) #4 Looks Killer
Bad side Driveways- Backing up & people stoping short on the road if 5 inches matter Longer length.

proples
10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Didn't the O/B tunnels come with a flat Keel?. Are you guys (H2Omofo, Proples) going to have a rounded keel added?. Just curious because it may make a difference on the intake that you use. Either way I'm sure Tom will take care of you.
I'm not sure if this will help with this question but this is what mine looks like. Excuse the dirt I havent even cleaned it yet :redface:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/propless/mydaytona4.jpg
It has the same shape all the way forward and is realy thin, so I think it will need some glass added to the bottom to make it stronger for the jet:confused : , but we will see once it gets cut. Mine needs some work before it goes to Tom, it needs new stringers, thay are to small to mount a rail kit,(1.5 in high) and starting to delaminate.

1968Droptop
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Glad you got your boat H2O. Looks great, you'll love it when it's done !!! Keep us updated with pix and posts.
Outlaw, I like the new avatar !

H20MOFO
10-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks 68droptop. I had to do it. Now I just need more hamburger:D . Isn't your 21' flat keeled? Outlaw , anyone? When pops says scorpion is that what they called all daytonas that were outboard. I thought it was more of a 19' thing'