PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers/Silencers?

mud duck
05-28-2003, 04:56 AM
Are any of you running mufflers or silencers? I guess I am going to break down and install some due to neighbors and/or state laws. What are the better ones for reducing the noise level at a modest price? I have used the PVC extensions into the water off the transom before, but they keep blowing off. I know by using mufflers you lose horse power, but I guess that is just the way it goes. Noise laws are probably going to just get stricter in the future. What are your suggetions?

skeepwerkzaz
05-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey,
I just bought a set of Bassett stainless inserts and they make a considerable difference. Still mucho loud, but makes the po po happy.
Clay

mud duck
05-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Can you double up types, like in-line mufflers under your engine hatch combine with nozzles outside the transom. I don't want to kill my engine's power, but I want to reduce the noise.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Rex Marine sells some that clamp inline between the riser and tips depending on how much room you have. Then you can also get the kind that slips inside the hose. I don't think bassett makes anything for through transom exhaust. www.rexmar.com (http://www.rexmar.com) they should have what you need.
Omega

77468sleekcraft
05-28-2003, 12:48 PM
MY MUFFLERS ARE IN THE GARAGE SOMEWHERE....THATS WHERE THEY WILL STAY..OH YEA LOUD IS GOOD... eek!

spectras only
05-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Rex's slip in mufflers are good to take the rasp out on my LS-6 and will effect rpm drop by 125-150.They're easily removable when you want to impress the loud crowd at pokerruns :D .You could add the rex inline mufflers to cut the noise further with additional rpm loss if your neighbors still bitching .I've got supertrapps [10 plates]in a 19 spectra w/bbf at a loss of 400 rpm's :( ,but keeps the neighbor to SFU at the lake :p

mud duck
05-29-2003, 06:25 AM
I can not find much on Rex's web site. On the CP Performance web site I've found some Hardin slip-ins, in-line mufflers, and cross over mufflers. Perhaps I am going to have to experiment with some of these to see what works best (starting with in minimum and then moving up). I hate to lose rpm, but if it is that or don't go boating, I guess I'll lose the rpm. One more question; With water jacketed headers, there is no possibility of using real car mufflers, right?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Definitely not. the water enters the exhaust at the back of the risers. A car muffler would fill up with water and rust out rapidly. Best to go with what is designed for it. I have heard some of the boats with slip in silencers and to be honest they don't sound that much quiter. the ones with inline mufflers are alot quiter. I guess it's really up to you and what you want. I like em loud

Rexone
05-29-2003, 05:10 PM
mud duck:
I can not find much on Rex's web site. On the CP Performance web site I've found some Hardin slip-ins, in-line mufflers, and cross over mufflers. Perhaps I am going to have to experiment with some of these to see what works best (starting with in minimum and then moving up). I hate to lose rpm, but if it is that or don't go boating, I guess I'll lose the rpm. One more question; With water jacketed headers, there is no possibility of using real car mufflers, right? Here's the link (http://www.rexmar.com/page237.html) :)

77charger
05-29-2003, 05:49 PM
I ran the 161-100 mufflers from rex i bought them around 5 years ago for my old jet.I was impressed with them they really shut down the noise esp at idle as well as wide open i barely noticed an rpm drop.Maybe 50-100 at the most.
Foe the price i'd recomend them i think they were 100 bucks when i bought them.

mud duck
05-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Okay, what are Shot Gun III mufflers? How can I learn more about them?

Rexone
05-29-2003, 09:29 PM
mud duck:
Okay, what are Shot Gun III mufflers? How can I learn more about them? Shotgun Page (http://www.rexmar.com/page238.html)
:)

mud duck
06-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Today I broke down and ordered new SS exhaust tips with flappers, new slip in silencers, and a set of new Hardin Marine SS mufflers. The mufflers may get returned depending on how they look (maybe to small). But, I have begun quieting the beast. No tickets yet, but I shutter everytime I see those sheriff or DNR boats. I hope this will help. wink